PDA

View Full Version : Changes made to OT in DVD release?

dgswensen
6 November 2003, 07:38 PM
I found this on slashdot, a RUMORED list of possible changes to the Original Trilogy DVD that's supposedly coming out in 2005. To be frank, many of these sound like a fanboy's wet dream and sound too good to be true. Others, not so much. I wanted to see what you Holonetters thought of these changes.

These were listed on the Star Wars Galaxies forums, so take them as you will. The guy who posted 'em swore they were legit, but we all know how that goes.

Got this off of a site that talks about movies, 411mania.com. I kept in the post the actual site they got their info from. Sounds good...and bad......the endings of Return of the Jedi I'm sure you'll hate now. Anyways, here it is:

CREDIT: AICN news

Episode IV: A New Hope

01. The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.
02. When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.
03. The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.
04. There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.
05. In the Cantina, the Duros(green aliens guys) have been replaced with Neimoidians and some aliens from the prequels have been added.
06. The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.
07. The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.
08. Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.
09. In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.
10. The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.
11. The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.
12. When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.
13. The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.
14. The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.
15. The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.
16. More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.
17. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.
18. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.
19. The Death Star plans that are taken from R2 have been updated. When the Rebels are reviewing the Death Star plans they look similar to the plans we see in Attack of the Clones.
20. The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.
21. There's a new scene(shot during Episode III) where Darth Vader goes to Coruscant and lands his ship in the same building Count Dooku does at the end of Attack of the Clones. Except now the building is all fixed up and it is now Palpatine's palace. He meets with Palpatine to ask for forgiveness for his failure and inform him of a new potential who is strong in the Force.
22. Chewbacca now gets a medal.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

01. The taun-tauns are now CG.
02. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.
03. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.
04. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.
05. The slug monster is CG.
06. Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.
07. Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more _expression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.
08. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.
09. The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.
10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

01. Jabba the Hutt is now a combination of the puppet and CG.
02. The Rancor is CG and looks disgusting as ever.
03. Yoda is CG. Yoda disappears leaving his clothes behind like Obi-Wan now.
04. The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.
05. The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.
06. Temuera Morrison's like before is now the voice for Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.
07. In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.
08. White boxes around ships removed.
09. The black blotches around Palpatine's face are gone.
10. Some of the lightsaber effects have been redone. The shadows that the lightsabers made on the floor are gone.
11. During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.
12. Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".
13. We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.
14. Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age. He looks on proudly at his son Luke with the spirit of Padme by his side

Thoughts?

Dr_Worm
6 November 2003, 10:30 PM
If this is true...and I HIGHLY doubt it is, then I wiull probably no buy this set. I really do not think that GL would manipulate the OT so that it would fall in to line with the PT. That is insane! Especially since there are more fans of the OT than of the new stuff. I mean there are so many things wrong with that list that I cannot eve go in to it without a dissertation. GL is loony at times, but there is no reason to think he is this mad.

I think that this list seems designed very carefully to entice hard core new trilogy fans and piss off everyone else.

da_gm
6 November 2003, 11:16 PM
Should any of this be true, i have just one thing to say to GL:

KEEP JAR JAR AWAY FROM OT!

Jake Sunspot
7 November 2003, 01:43 AM
I TOTALLY agree with Dr_Worm. This list is insane. Some of the suppossed changes would be okay, but most of them SUCK THE FAT ONE. GL needs to make fewer changes to the OT not more.

This brings me to something. Don't you think that that the most profitable thing LFL could do for SW Celebration III would be a GL dunking booth. I would pay over and over again to try to drop him into a vatt of cold water:mad:

Rogue Janson
7 November 2003, 02:50 AM
I agree that all this is incredibly implausible. I doubt they'll even make some of the good changes, like cleaning up residual sfx glitches.

Some of them I'd love to see though, particularly this one:

07. In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.
and this one

13. We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.
In fact, I don't know why they don't go the whole way and replace Admiral Ackbar with Jar Jar Binks and all the mon cal with Gungans.

BrianDavion
7 November 2003, 07:55 AM
I belive this rumor as much as I do the so called rumors that GL is going to entirely reshoot the original trilogy to more closely match the prequals. I don't

johnnyputrid
7 November 2003, 09:17 AM
I'd say great! If George wants to change small parts of the films to better fit his original vision, then fine. They're his movies, he pays for 'em, therefore he gets to do whatever he wants to them. I love all five of the films and I'm sure I'll love Episode III, and if he finds ways to make them better, then I'm all for it. I don't buy into that whole "I love the originals but hate the prequels" camp. I love Star Wars for what it is. Star Wars is and always will be the new moderm mythology, pure escapism fantasy with a few good moral issues thrown in.

If you don't want him to change anything, write to him and tell him. Otherwise there ain't much you can do about it.

Sorry if any of that came across as harsh. Just a difference of opinion.

dgswensen
7 November 2003, 10:31 AM
In fact, I don't know why they don't go the whole way and replace Admiral Ackbar with Jar Jar Binks and all the mon cal with Gungans.

Shhhh... not so loudly, please :)

hisham
7 November 2003, 01:39 PM
I was hoping for this:

Jabba's voice will be re-recorded by Matt Chapman.

I thought this was done 6-7 years ago:

04. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.

Codym
7 November 2003, 08:30 PM
I'm doubtful at this point on the list of changes, but a few of the changes I would welcome, and very few I would dislike.

I hope the spruced up ANH Jabba makes it, as the old dated fast, and the new wipe into Naboo celebrating (Jar Jar included) at the end of ROTJ would tie the movies up nicely since Naboo is the only major planet not featured in the montage. I dislike the idea of replacing Yoda and the Ewoks with CGI. Both worked fine, and the later change only seems to serve the non-fans who have made a career over complaining about the "cute little teddy bears." Also, the idea of speeding up Ben and Vader's fight ... please, no.

And finally, as great as Hayden is, please leave Sebastian Shaw as Anakin in ROTJ. Don't make changes for just the sake of changes.

Jake Sunspot
8 November 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Codym
Don't make changes for just the sake of changes.

That's how some of the changes in the special edition felt, so at this point I'd be happy with just not making more of them.

As far as the movies being his for him to do with as he pleases, that fine if that what makes him happy. But I have a serious problem with him forcing his "definitive vision" on us with out giving us a choice. Lots of people liked them fine the way they were.

Franksta
8 November 2003, 09:57 AM
honestly, i think most of it is just rumor. I've been reading those accounts all over the net recently and some of them are just too stupid for even Lucas to attempt.

what I have heard confirmed by AICN actually is that the OT dvds will be out in November of 2004...

Jim Williams
8 November 2003, 01:50 PM
Basically what I'm feeling about this:

There is an inverse relationship between the coolness of a proposed addition/change and the likelihood of it actually being done!

And personally, it will be pretty over the top if GL has Anakin speak the same words as Jesus just before he dies. Which even more solidifies in my mind that this list is bunk. If nothing else, I think GL can be a tad more creative than "It is finished."

"You know I went easy on you, boy."

dgswensen
8 November 2003, 04:36 PM
*snerk*

"Luke...come closer... closer... one time... when you were sleeping... i put bantha poodoo in your mouth and had your friends take a picture... ugh!" *dies*

(south park reference)

Kordeth
9 November 2003, 01:47 PM
If number 7 in the ANH and RotK lists are, in fact, true, I'll buy these DVDs. :D

Seriously, though, some of these sound plausible: Georgie Boy has confirmed that he's shooting new scenes for the OT during filming of the prequels (IIRC, Jimmy Smits mentioned filming a scene of Bail Organa on Alderaan just before it explodes), re-recording Temuera Morrison's voice for all the stormtrooper dialog wouldn't be that labor intensive, and some new CG shots are certainly believable. Personally, I'd rather have the original versions of the movies, but it seems Lucas is drunk on his own sense of power and won't listen to reason. It appears that the work of many, many talented artists, model-makers, and puppeteers is going to be lost for all time. Thanks a bunch, George.

Reverend Strone
10 November 2003, 12:51 PM
I think this list is most likely bogus (you'll notice there's nothing in them that refers to anything from Ep III, leading me to believe they are the imaginings of a fan), but I wouldn't put any of these changes past GL. All of them however? Yeah- I'd put that past him. There is so much work involved in these changes that I just can't see it being true.

Personally, I don't care whether they're in the DVDs or not. On the one hand I'd rather the films were never messed with in the first place- and certainly the majority of these critters do not need replacing with CG versions (if it ain't broke- don't fix it right?), but then at the same time seeing them with these changes will make it seem like I'm watching whole new SW movies- and that ain't a bad thing.

I'll still have access to the untouched originals thanks to my buddy's laser discs, and the SEs thanks to my own VHS copies, so if GL wants to put a bunch of stuff in the DVDs to redux the originals, I say what the heck- it's just more SW, and I'll just choose to ignore what I don't like.

Admiral_Atredies
10 November 2003, 02:32 PM
Not meaning to be offensive to any who think this would be cool, but this is pretty unbelievable stuff, not that Lucas wouldn't, but many of these would be quite an undertaking that I wouldn't see him going the length to do it. Some, cooler (Han/Greedo scene being reshot), others not so much (Palpy dissolving the Senate? Does this sound so out of place to anyone else?), but they sound very much like wishfull thinking of a fan to me. Though I think they'd be on to something with that Ewok killin' bit ;)

08. Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover...
Makes it sound like he got on that Queer Guy show.

da_gm
10 November 2003, 11:11 PM
I have to say this whole thing sounds like special edition:special edition, if you know what i mean

Nova Spice
11 November 2003, 06:16 PM
I'm sick of revisions after revisions personally. I say touch of the Special Editions, and let them stay as intended. Keep the films as they are; constant additions and revisions only leads to a feeling of disinterest.

This list is hopefully bogus. Though, as the good Reverend has pointed out, it most likely is due to its lack of Episode III material. ;)

Fole™
14 November 2003, 08:17 AM
I just hope that they re-insert the scene where Biggs tries to get Luke to join the rebels at the beginning of ANH. Ever since I saw a picture of that scene in my SWRPG d6 book i wanted to see that scene.

Dr_Worm
19 November 2003, 02:12 PM
Yea me to. I fully expected to see it in the re-release. I swear I recall seeing it on an HBO special back in the day.

Thinithil
19 November 2003, 02:50 PM
I'd be all for that myself but it would really bring out the critics. Try and find a SW Beyond the Magic CDRom. They sold them just before the prequels started up and in un-restored black and white you can watch many of those scenes plus a run through of Han's first scenes in ANH. It's neat but you really have to grit your teeth during much of it. I guess GL didn't want the scenes in the movie but was advised to develop the characters more...you can see why he dropped them when he got the chance but they're still fun to watch. I'd love to see a master edition for us die-diehards that include ALL scenes cut.

Rogue Janson
20 November 2003, 03:37 AM
It goes something like this, iirc:

Biggs and Luke are sitting in the middle of Tosche Station.

Biggs (quietly): "First chance I get I'm going to jump ship and join the Rebellion."
Luke: "THE REBELLION!?!"
Biggs: *smacks Luke round head*

Ardent
21 November 2003, 11:53 PM
Some of the changes sound great, some alterations are inevitable (GL has confirmed a few reshoots w/episode III) and some of them are just plain fanboy wetdream and/or ridiculous.

Playing with the music? Yeah, GL will probably do that. Drastically altering some of the most pivotal scenes of the OT? No, GL knows better.

Lord Kjeran
23 November 2003, 12:45 PM
Chello!

I actually like most of the (supposed) changes. Put me in the "it's George's stuff, he can do what he wants with it" camp. If you don't want to see changes, let him know or don't watch, rent, or buy new versions. But tha';s just me....

Dr_Worm
23 November 2003, 02:46 PM
If you don't want to see changes, let him know or don't watch, rent, or buy new versions.

The problem with that is that these will be the only ones avalble on DVD. So it is not like we have a choice if we want the same level of picture quality.

REG
26 November 2003, 06:07 PM
To the non-believers...

I dunno. If Georgie-boy had the gut to re-do the Original Star Wars and labeled them "Special Edition," most likely he will re-do it again.

But I gotta tell ya, it's one thing to be your own worst critic. It's quite another to listen to that critic. Sadly, I predict that he is not going to be satisfied with this rumored version once it is distributed, and he's going back to the editing room, back to reshoots, and become the "Howard Hughes of filmmaking," and he might not have time to do a new trilogy, but even that is a rumor.

I think it's time we friends should call for an intervention and admit to his abnormal obsession to make the perfect Star Wars films.

Jake Sunspot
27 November 2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by REG
I think it's time we friends should call for an intervention and admit to his abnormal obsession to make the perfect Star Wars films.

I'm all for that. Somebody should take it away from him before he makes matters worse.

Calanthe
2 January 2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by dgswensen
[B17. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.[/B]

Nooooooo! ::sob::

No matter how much GL wants to pretend that he's always envisioned STs to be clones, I'll never believe him. If he insists on now making it canon, there's not much to do but shake my head and wish that he had never agreed to do the prequel, and hope beyond hope that the original edition of the first trilogy will one day be available to us on DVD.

johnnyputrid
12 January 2004, 06:56 AM
I don't understand something here. If Lucas wants to change things, he can, it's his creation after all. Basically all he's doing is "remixing", a lot like the way a songwriter might go back to a favorite song and add in a new riff, or play a different solo. The story and plot are still the same, the same things happen to the same characters, the same people die, the same people live happily ever after.

It's very similar to what Peter Jackson and company did with the Lord of the Rings, which upset a large number of people, just as Episodes I and II did. The same tale Tolkien wrote is still there, just a few things have been swapped around, different lines spoken by different people. Lucas had his tale mapped out since the early 70s, it's just now he's able to more fully realize his vision, due to the advent of digital technology, so a few things might change here and there, but nothing's been drastically altered.

Bottom line is, if you don't like what's been done with the prequels or the special editions, I'm sorry, but thats too bad. I know this may sound harsh, but its useless to complain about it, since George is dead-set on doing things his way. My love of the Star Wars movies won't change because a few new scenes were added in, or some FX shots were redone, and I hope that eventually everyone can just accept it and enjoy the films. They are just movies after all.

AceStarlighter
12 January 2004, 01:58 PM
some would be really cool, but alot would just suck alot.

Dr_Worm
12 January 2004, 07:42 PM
f Lucas wants to change things, he can, it's his creation after all.

And if I don't want to buy it I don't have to...it's my money after all. I don't have to like the revisionist changes...it's my opinion after all. I don't have to be quitet about it...it's my right to free speach after all.

In the end this thread was about what people thought of this list of changes (a list mind you that is probably 90% BS), and when we say we hate most of the changes...well that is what we think. It is Lucas's story, but in the end a story without people who enjoy it is nothing.

CalOkand
23 January 2004, 08:36 PM
I would hope that whoever wrote/created this had a good laugh and used a decent spell check. Just "Jabba's tale" doesn't sound really true to form, you know?

Codym
23 January 2004, 08:50 PM
Well the rumor mill has just gone back to saying it will be a box set of the Special Editions, with no more changes, and a bonus disk a'la the Indiana Jones collection.

Darth Fierce
23 January 2004, 09:16 PM
I'm inclined to believe that most rumors when it comes possible changes to the OT, at this point, are completely bogus. I actually despise some of the changes that were made in the Special Edition trilogy that came out in the late nineties (especially giving the Sarlacc a beak...I mean come on, that thing all ready had an impressive mouth, there was no need to change it).

Of any of the rumors listed, I'd actually like to see the Imperial ships unloading AT-ATs and AT-STs onto Hoth, as well as an extended galaxy-spanning celebration scene at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I agree wholeheartedly with anyone who believes having Anakin say, "It is finished..." is way too over-the-top, and certain to anger several Christian groups.

Just my take on the whole situation...

Darth Fierce :vader:

Penangallan
24 January 2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
I agree wholeheartedly with anyone who believes having Anakin say, "It is finished..." is way too over-the-top, and certain to anger several Christian groups.
That certainly didn't stop Lucas from making Anakin the product of an immaculate conception, though.

I tend to think the list of changes is largely false, but then again, there may be enough truth in it to keep some folks up at night.

Gary

Darth Fierce
24 January 2004, 09:46 AM
True, it's generally believed that Anakin was the product of an immaculate conception (which is a concept I never liked), though, by having him say, "It is finished..." Lucas would make him seem like the savior of the galaxy. In truth, however, if anyone is to be thought of as a savior, I would say that title belongs to Luke. If he had not redeemed/saved his father, the course of Star Wars "history" might have been changed (e.g., the Rebels could have lost at Endor, and the Empire could still be ruling).

Darth Fierce :vader:

stoic_75
28 January 2004, 11:30 AM
Ugh, what next? They digitally "clean up" Citizen Kane? In this version, there are two Citizen Kanes and they fight each other at the end. Or maybe add some cool special effects to the "Great Train Robbery?" I'm thinking the train robbers are replaced by hobbits and the train by a giant fire-breathing lizard. Gotta love revisionist history.

Originally posted by dgswensen
I found this on slashdot, a RUMORED list of possible changes to the Original Trilogy DVD that's supposedly coming out in 2005. To be frank, many of these sound like a fanboy's wet dream and sound too good to be true. Others, not so much. I wanted to see what you Holonetters thought of these changes.

Thoughts?

dgswensen
28 January 2004, 04:21 PM
Ugh, what next? They digitally "clean up" Citizen Kane? In this version, there are two Citizen Kanes and they fight each other at the end.

Okay... I am a big, big fan of Citizen Kane, and heartily recommend the movie to all -- but I would pay good money to see that :)

Regis
30 January 2004, 10:10 PM
Okay, I realize that the film's are Georgie Boy's (in one sense, but they also belong to us, the people that loved them for years and years and kept them so special), but I've got to say that going back and tinkering with old movies is not only a dumb idea, it smacks of disrespect - ESPECIALLY if you no longer offer the original version.

The original Star Wars trilogy definitely changed a lot of things about film making, but when all of the VHS tapes of the OT are dead and gone, we won't know much about the films themselves - all that'll be left will be the Super-Ultra-Mega-Deluxe-Extra-Special Editions where every single special effect (whether it looked dated or not) has been replaced a dozen times and the story that made the film so great (even more than any visuals could have) has taken a backseat to "better" additions and amendments.

Sure, adding a scene where Palpatine dissolves the Senate into ANH sounds like a good idea, but where will it go without throwing off the pacing. Sure, adding Anakin's theme and the Imperial March to the ANH score will make the series that much more connected musically, but what about the original score? Does it deserve to be thrown out and forgotten? (Anyone can stomach the possibility of musical changes after the replacement of Lapti Nek - funk it up, baby! - for the abyssmal Jedi Rocks in ROTJSE, please raise your hand.)

Basically, if it ain't broke (which I'd say the original OT isn't) don't fix it.

stoic_75
3 February 2004, 10:08 AM
Stoic_75: Hello, stoic_75 here. I'm reporting live from the Louvre. With me is the head curator, Guy LeLucas. We're here to discuss the recent cleaning and rehanging of the Mona Lisa.

Lucas: Glad to be here Stoic.

Stoic_75: Tell me sir, what steps are taken in the cleaning and rehanging of the DaVinci masterpiece? How long does it take?

Lucas: Well, it takes a team of eight restorers two weeks to clean the painting. They'll be using the dry cleaning chamber here on the grounds.

Stoic_75: Two weeks? Excuse me but that sounds like a lot of time for just a dry cleaning.

Lucas: Well, we are going to restore the painting as well. That smile always bothered me a bit. I'm thinking a big toothy grin.

Stoic_75: Eh? Did you just say you were going to paint a new smile on the Mona Lisa?!

Lucas: Restore actually. I think this new version will achieve 100 percent viewer satisfaction.

Stoic_75 But, but..It's a masterpiece! It's been the same way for hundreds of years. You can't do that!

Lucas: Well, of course we can. The painting is owned by the Louvre and ...waitaminut. Stoic_75? Aren't you the guy that tried to get Star Trek: Voyager cancelled? I loved that show! Security!

Soic_75: Dammit.

Several white clad security guards rush in carrying truncheons.

Stoic_75: <running> Well, that's all the time we have for today. Join me tomorrow as we.... ooooof!

wolfe
4 February 2004, 01:58 AM
As with all rumors I'll believe it when i see it..

If this is true, i could care less, its his story,his vision, if the story ends up in my opinion good its good, if its bad its bad, but its still his story,and its his millions of dollars on the line.

i see many people complaining about shows and movies but yet none have stepped up and written and directed there own yet..

Me I'll watch it, and I'll probably enjoy it, I could use the diversion from all the constant fighting and killing and other real life B.S. i have been part of in the past couple of years.

mojo1701
4 February 2004, 10:33 AM
I welcome most of these changes, and I believe I saw these also at www.theforce.net, but don't quote me on that (unless it's true). I don't mind changes that bring it all more together, like the editions of The Hobbit that were published before and after Lord of the Rings was (i.e. more on Riddles in the Dark).

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 February 2004, 01:33 PM
I'm definately one who whole heartedly lives by the "I'll Believe it when I See it" motto.

A few minor touchups like R2 navigating the stairs as was done in the prequels makes sense, its a minor thing and doesn't add or remove anything from the film except bridge some continuity.

An extended Hoth scene would be nice if they had the AT landers, and a more intense battle over all would be cool.

See'ing a clip of Bail Organa on Alderaan right before it blew up would be sadistic, yet horrifically add alot of depth and weight behind the planet being blown up. MIght even improve the movie some. But in-itself creates a problem:
1. the OT version had its own pace & emotion level of how things were done and reacted to.
2. making the planet blow up be more realistic, with a clip of Bail Organa, changes would have to be made to Leia's whole reaction to fit with it, and match the whole new level of drama in the scene...

Minor sfx shots improved, but not totally redone i'm fine with. But not things that create a butterfly effect to the rest of the scenes as described with the bail organa bit...

Adding more old / cuts / new material to a film is always trivial. One of two things always has to happen:
1. the overall movie length gets extended
2. to compensate for the new material, other scenes may get revised / cut short, in order to keep the movie roughly the same length.

I've seen cases of both where its good and bad. Take the Aliens movies for example.
1. The last vhs release "special edition" was good since they put back in cut material from the theatrical version that never should have been cut from the Aliens movie in the first place (the colony scene & other tidbits).
2. In the new Quadrilogy dvd release, they remaster the original Alien movie, redoing a bit of the score, and putting in a "never before seen clip" that may add to the movie, but in effect they shortened a whole serries of other scenes in the movie to compensate. Some scenes just arent quite the same now, missing that little bit of pause before switching to the next scene... At least the disc gives you a choice which version you want to watch.

Guess thats the trouble with going back and making prequels 20yrs later. Some things just wont fit or look as good anymore between the 2 sets of films, as you learn how to do things better, and new technology gives you a diverse. The whole lightsaber or R2D2 thing as best example.

Seems like G.L is part perfectionist, part obsessive. Those two quallities combined, and G.L's masterpeice will never ever be perfect. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist myself, even when posting game updates or digital photo editing. I'm always thinking that something can be added or improved. But there comes a point time when you just have to settle on and leave it be.