PDA

View Full Version : Post-NJO galaxy

Darthspectre84
9 November 2003, 05:48 AM
Ok i have not red Unifying Force yet...but i just want to know if the Yuuzhan Vong still pose as much a menace as they did before. Now i heard it is great and stuff....i am currently readiing Final Prophecy. Now we all have heard of Post-NJO books in the works and that the Yuuzhan Vong menace is not finished yet.

So i was just wondering....any characters that still seem to plague the galaxy for many years?

Rogue Janson
9 November 2003, 06:02 AM
Ok i have not red Unifying Force yet...but i just want to know if the Yuuzhan Vong still pose as much a menace as they did before
Well obviously they don't pose as much menace as before, otherwise it'd be a pretty stupid end to the series. :P

Most of the main characters are accounted for at the end of TUF - all the top level council, including Nas Choka. Non Anor finally dies. (Or does he?? lol. No-one actually say it.) Even some lesser ones like Malik Carr are dealt with. Off hand, I can't think of any Yuuzhan Vong characters who might crop up as villains in future books.
The surrender of the Yuuzhan Vong warrior caste is done very cleverly and relatively cleanly, but there are still scattered forces who will continue the fight, not to mention those Yuuzhan Vong cut off from contact.

Nova Spice
9 November 2003, 07:51 AM
I can think of about three Yuuzhan Vong that went unaccounted for in The Unifying Force.

-Supreme Commander Qurang Lah
-Supreme Commander Maal Lah
-Commander Tla

I imagine that these three probably surrendered at the Battle of Coruscant, went down fighting, or were killed prior to this novel. However, it is clear, that the Yuuzhan Vong menace has been thoroughly dealt with by novel's end. ;)

Darthspectre84
11 November 2003, 10:42 AM
OK, nearly finished with Final Prophecy and the Nom Anor i love is back :D. Now i need to ask one thing again is that Rogue Janson pointed they wont be as menacing as in the NJO. But will we see them just as evil. I honestly thought the Vong would befracture and the old wars of Domain against Domain and Caste against Caste would come. But from where this is going it does look like it. Cause it would have been fun to have the thing they had with the Empire with Rogue Squadron taking back territory and even though it would have been repetitive i would have liked that.

Especially when the solo slingshot is copied by certain skippers :P poor han....

Darth Fierce
12 November 2003, 04:11 AM
If the Yuuzhan Vong present any threat to the GFFA, it's going to be in the form of guerrila tactics. As was mentioned in the final novel, Nas Choka surrendered to the GFFA, and apparently is now on Zonama Sekot learning how to live in peace with other races. The book, however, left the door open for some AWOL Vong forces in the forests of Coruscant to be troublesome. However, I think as far as being a major problem, the Vong are through.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Darthspectre84
12 November 2003, 05:38 AM
Damn, What about the great fighter battles? like you know growing ships and those coralskipper battles? will the scale still be there?

Also from the way things are going is it possible for members of castes to jump out and claim to lead their people to a new age. Like i like the thought of Mad Shapers not bound to Protocols and stuff.

Zanus
12 November 2003, 01:25 PM
Everything I have read has given me the impression that the bulk of Vong society has a strong respect for authority and a sort of honor code that prevents them from going outside of what they are supposed to do. Yes, the books give plenty of examples of individual Vong disobeying their superiors, but it also shows them either fearing the consequences if caught, or suffering the consequences for being caught. nom Anor becoming an outcast, That one shaper apprentice being religated to lesser tasks on a world ship until Onimi came for her, etc.

because of this, I see the likely hood of rogue vong as you have described them as being very thin, and if it does happen, the other vong will either ignore them or put them down themselves. They have finally returned to their home world, the vong there are not going to do anything to ruin that. Those vong still scattered across the galaxy are few and will likely stick with their known traditions out of sheer pride and stuborness. A rogue shaper making all manner of weird creatures will be more or less alone, and will probably be found before any of his creatures can either hatch or mature properly, or be created in any real numbers.

Now, what I am curious about is how the Jedi are going to recover. Where are they going to put their new academy and how are they going to change their training methods? What roll will the jedi council take and will it be in the same form it was in durring the war? Is Boba Fett actually tring to rebuild the mandalorian order? (sorry, I have read UF yet, so I don't know what he said in the book, and even if he flat out said he isn't doing just that, who's to say he didn't lie to cover his butt?) I am also kinda curious what the GFFA is gonna do about those worlds that had been vong-formed. I think Duro is better off now, but some may not be. And I am betting the Vong left alot of slaves behind that still have the coral implants

Darth Fierce
12 November 2003, 02:47 PM
Hmmm...Boba Fett rebuilding the Mandalorian Warriors. An interesting concept, though, if he is heading along those lines (mind you he never says anything to indicate that), it would not likely be the fearsome Warriorhood of old. It seems in The Unifying Force that Fett acts rather nobily (taking part in liberating at least three planets), and if the Mandalorian Warriors resurface, I could see them something akin to the Jedi (despite Fett's former misgivings). All in all, I think Fett and his crew come out as heroes in the novel, and the feud he has interacted in with Han and the Jedi is over.

Maybe as someone indicated in another thread Fett will finally retire and raise a family of clones on Kamino. Ha! :P

Darth Fierce :vader:

Jeskan
12 November 2003, 02:55 PM
The new Jedi Academy will be on Ossus. But with Boba Fett, didn't he say to Han that he never had anything against him, only the Jedi?

Nova Spice
12 November 2003, 03:24 PM
The new Jedi Academy will be on Ossus. But with Boba Fett, didn't he say to Han that he never had anything against him, only the Jedi?

Correct. Fett basically told Han that he was "just cargo; his real fight was never with him, but with the Jedi." That doesn't mean that Fett, at this point, is actively anti-Jedi (though its likely), but rather that in the past his primary motivator was revenge against the Jedi.

And I think it was rather obvious that Fett has begun trying to re-establish the Mandalorian Warriors. That's quite an interesting parallel. Out of the ashes of the Vong invasion, a new Jedi Order was born, a Galactic Alliance was born, and now it seems that the Mandalorians have returned. Bravo to James Luceno. Definitely proved that he is a high-caliber Star Wars author. ;)

Jedi Master Talon
14 November 2003, 05:31 AM
I can't wait to see how the Vong are like post NJO. Will they be able to use the Force, will they still have the same living ships or will Sekot not allow it, and if that happens then what will they use for war, also if they are even allowed to help the Alliance in a war? Those questions I hope get ansewer in the next series. Also will the Vong have representaion in the Senate. I can't wait to see the reaction of the galaxy to them in the future.

Tav Kord
14 November 2003, 08:02 AM
***Required Spoiler Warning***

My take on the post-war Vong is that they will likely become pacifists. Any contribution to a war effort would be mostly in the form of medical aid, as that is all I can see Sekot allowing. Once the majority of the Vong learn that their original exile from their homeworld was due to their warlike nature, I think the majority of them will simmer down pretty quick.
Any armed conflicts from the Vong are most likely to be from those who never made it to Sekot... i.e. those still encamped on other planets, as was mentioned in a previous post.

Regarding a position in the Senate... since Sekot is taking the Vong back into the Unknown Regions for a little "time out" to let them adjust to their new lives, I doubt the Vong will be major players again for a generation or two. Of course, I could be wrong.

Kanner Ra'an
20 November 2003, 03:50 AM
I dont think the Zonma Vong are even going to be heard of again for a long time. Theirs no way they will become strict pacifists, as i said war is too much bred into them. However i dont think that we will see them invading anyone again. Zonma took them deep into the unknown regions, and it was in rough shape from the battle. The've basically withdrawn from the Galaxy at large.

Darthspectre84
27 November 2003, 08:54 AM
Red the book finally, and yeah the vong with Zonama are long gone. Never to be seen again for a long time.

But still :) there are the many vong that have stayed on occupied worlds and dug in. I had this crazy thought of a campaign idea with that of a Mad Heretic Shaper who wants to continue the war. And to lead his people he 'makes' a Yuuzhan Vong. Using genes from the greatest warriors he makes the Ultimate Warrior. And claims to the people that Yun-Yuuzhan has come to the land of the Mortals to finish what he wanted his people to do. hehe....

Vash Knives
29 December 2003, 04:12 AM
Then some hotshot pilot kills the Ultimate Warrior, and people wonder if their God is truly a god our just a Phony-like the Goa'uld in Stargate SG-1.

AceStarlighter
15 January 2004, 09:04 AM
what's the state of the Jedi after all this? i know some of the Solo children were turned to the dark side and all. what happens to them?

johnnyputrid
15 January 2004, 09:47 AM
As far as the Solo's go, Jaina had a brief 'fling' with the darker nature of the Force but was aided by Kyp Durron. She seems to be doing fine now, though she does possess a much stronger warrior instinct than many of the other Jedi.

Jacen has found a new personal balance within the Force, thanks in part to Vergere's teachings. Jacen was essentially 'reforged on the crucible of pain', but he never really turned to the dark side per se. I think he understands how to manage the darker and lighter aspects of the Force better than most.

As for what's next, IMO, the two Solos are representative of the 'new' generation of Jedi Knights. I think a lot of the post-NJO novels will deal with their personal struggles (and those of the other younger knights, like Tahiri) in the midst of rebuilding the Jedi Order as well as the galaxy at large.

Nova will correct me if I missed something here, I hope.

Nova Spice
15 January 2004, 03:02 PM
That's a pretty good synopsis johnny. Although I recommend that Ace actually read the NJO. :D

Here's a quick rendition of the Solo children's fates.

-Jacen Solo: takes a philosophic stance on the Force and is unsure of what it truly means to be a Jedi. Eventually captured by the Vong, tortured, broken, and is stripped of the Force by Vergere, a Fosh Jedi from the Old Republic who has been living with the Vong for over 50 years. Vergere instructs Jacen into a new way to view the Force, mainly that there is no dark side. Jacen eventually becomes the crucible of the Jedi Order and leads them to ultimate victory over the alien invaders.
-Jaina Solo: earns a spot in Rogue Squadron during the first few years of the invasion and is eventually turned to the dark side during the strike team to Myrkr. She is brought back to the light by Kyp Durron and takes command of Twin Suns Squadron. She is instrumental in helping defeat the Vong war machine, forming a love interest with Soontir Fel's son, Jag.
-Anakin Solo: gains galactic renown during the first two years of the war with the Vong. Is seen as a hero for his brave actions against the Vong and general ly comes at odds with his brother Jacen and his philosophies about the Jedi. He is killed at Myrkr, sacrificing himself so that his siblings and the remaining strike team members can escape.

Though the actual plot concerning the Solo children is far more engaging in the novels. I suggest reading the series. Best Star Wars books. Ever.

AceStarlighter
15 January 2004, 05:24 PM
i'll have to pick them up. i think that's what i'll do tomorrow actually...haha.