PDA

View Full Version : is this the christmas season early?

Ravager_of_worlds
19 November 2003, 07:07 PM
what's up with people? are people so sedate and accepting of their universes that no has had a good rant for two weeks? dammit, this rant is for every spacejerk who ever got buzzed by a CEC starfreighter. this rant is for every gungan shot on sight. this rant is for you!

so i ask, has the seaon of glad tidings and cheer come early? be mad at the turkey for drying out too soon! be mad at GL for sitting on his butt for so long. be mad at something otherwise the moderators may take away our rants and raves and replace it with something else, like "D20 Cute Puppies on Crack"

wolverine
19 November 2003, 10:58 PM
RANTRANTRANTRANTRARANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTNTRANTRRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTANTRANTRANRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTTRANTRANRARANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTNTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT
RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT

that better?

Darth_Cassed
20 November 2003, 04:17 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but my life really sucks at the moment. Problems with family, girlfriend, school....ahhhh! No, the Christmas season has not arrived for me, but I may fix things by then!

Tossk
20 November 2003, 04:26 AM
I'm discovering the wonderfully painful world of High school wrestling. It sucks, and i've only been doing it for a week and a half. The pain and poeple are unbearable.:( I also wih more books would friggin' spring up. I need to spend my money!

coldskier0320
20 November 2003, 07:25 AM
Well, its no so much the lack or rant material, as the overuse of it. I've got the usual problems with school, parents nagging, and the endless process of getting my sorry ass into a college. But other than that, things really are going fairly well for me. No major annoyances, a new girlfriend, and the HoloNet's back up. Happy Thanksgiving:) OK, rant over;)

Ravager_of_worlds
20 November 2003, 01:35 PM
excellent start my swabbies!

wolverine- more unintelligable ranting please, i haven't had enough of it... was it the puppies comment?

darth cassed- that's the spirit. family, girlfriends and school is a universal pain across America. we all know how it is and hope your problem/answer is forthcoming before wretched christmas descends upon you.

tossk- don't tell me they're already urging you to make weight? if there's one sport in high school i'd recommend for people to avoid, wrestling has got to be it... that or soccer. good luck and remember that crisco isn't just a cooking material :)

coldskier- ah, a rant about nothing. sometimes life doesn't give us enough crap to keep us occupied. boredom sets in and when something does go wrong it appears as the end of the world.

remember, death to d20 Cute Puppies on Crack!

Zanus
20 November 2003, 05:08 PM
I have a problem with gravity. it is so binding and restrictive. Is it so wrong to want to jump off the roof and visit the clouds instead of smacking into the pavement?

that good enough?

Nova Spice
20 November 2003, 05:24 PM
I have a rant...

Why on God's Green Earth is Auburn 6-5? I'm so depressed, I don't even care about the Iron Bowl Saturday.

Maybe Alabama will win? Maybe Auburn will lose? Oh wait, that's the same thing.

Damn you Tuberville....

Grimace
20 November 2003, 05:36 PM
My rant: I never have enough time to work on all of my game stuff! I've got all of these projects or ideas and I don't have enough time to start and finish them. I end up with a whole bunch of ideas and games started, but none of them completed. So DARN real life and it's time-sucking symptoms.:mad: :P

Dr_Worm
20 November 2003, 06:27 PM
I gotta say that you all are part of the problem. If you could please stop being so entertaining then perhaps I could get some homework done. If I flunk I am gonna open can of woopass!

Reverend Strone
20 November 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
My rant: I never have enough time to work on all of my game stuff! I've got all of these projects or ideas and I don't have enough time to start and finish them. I end up with a whole bunch of ideas and games started, but none of them completed. So DARN real life and it's time-sucking symptoms.:mad: :P

Amen Grim! I hear you buddy. My office is a shrine to half-finished projects.

Fortunately, life is pretty darn good other than that.

Major T. Phennir
21 November 2003, 07:12 AM
I'm with you Ravanger the Christmas season starts way to early. I'm in college and they all ready have so much decorations and it is not even Thanksgiving yet. People can be so stupid sometimes and I'm the perfect example of it. Decorating for Christmas should start one and a half weeks before Christmas day and the decorations should all be down by New Years.
I think that college is plain crazy. I am off for one week, go back for Dead and Finals Week and then am off for one month. So many grades depend on last tests and Finals. This rant is not the best but something is better then nothing, oh wait, NO IT IS NOT.

Fred Getce
21 November 2003, 07:31 AM
I don't rant.

I publicly announce my displeasure to uncontrollable events that directly or indirectly affect my daily out come to completing goals I set or have set from the previous day before, to anyone who will listen to me.

Thank you George Carlin. :) ;) :D B)

Rogue Janson
21 November 2003, 02:23 PM
I don't rant.

I publicly announce my displeasure to uncontrollable events that directly or indirectly affect my daily out come to completing goals I set or have set from the previous day before, to anyone who will listen to me.
Yeah, and I only ever engage in civilised rational debate and discussion.

I'm here in Exeter for another 3 weeks till the end of term. I've a pile of books to read that doesn't seem to be getting any smaller, plus more stuff to read each week for seminars and a presentation coming up. And even then I don't think I'll really have done as much as I should have. I only realised the other week, after picking a presentation on democratisation in South America and Southern Europe, that while I know a fair amount about South America I know absolutely nothing about Southern Europe.
It's 7 weeks into the term and I've had a total 4 tutorials - that is about 3 1/2 hours of contact time - so I have no idea how I'm doing and I've got essays coming up after christmas. Stupid History & Politics department.
Oh, and I have a statistics project coming up.

So I'm stuck here alternating between reading and trying to find interesting stuff to do on the computer. My eyes are starting to go funny. My hard disk's almost full up and there's not much I can delete to get more space so I think I'll have to get a new one.

It's getting dark about 4 o'clock. I thought the city looked ok in the autumn until I went home the other week and realised when I came back it just looks shabby. And in general there's very little good going on in my life.

More of a protracted moan than a rant I suppose, but it could be worse.

Zam Sammich
23 November 2003, 09:29 PM
I'm close to the end of the first term of my first year at animation school, and the story reel (rough draft) of my end of year project is due next week. Needless to say, it's not done yet. It's not even close to being done yet. Gah.

And my roommate. I was hoping for a good one, but... she's not. She hasn't spoken to me for about a month. Our room is neatly divided in half, with my mess of Star Wars things and gaming stuff and artwork on my side and her french stuff on her side, and by the force I don't know how much longer I can take it. I think I have another roommate lined up for next year, who is cool and a lot more compatible with me... it's just lasting through this year that's got me tearing my hair out in large clumps.

Whew. That was good to get off my chest.

Ravager_of_worlds
25 November 2003, 10:41 AM
Zanus- i too feel constrained by gravity and its constant hold over me. i can never catch it napping. suddenly i'll turn and bound for the sky but no, it catches me around the ankles and shakes its fist at me. no sky diving for RoW for a while.

Nova Spice- too many people rant and rave about sports. just remember that unless you bet 10k on a game, you ain't got nothing to complain about if your team loses. just wait until Guido and the boys come to collect...

Grimace- another Amen to time issues and game material. i have so much text right now i need artists... artists to fuel the projects i've been writing for free because i blow at pencils and ink...

Reverend Strone- we don't need any "life is good" rigamarole from you :) This, is a thread for whining!

Major T. Phennir- you got that straight! what the heck ever happened to Turkey Day? Maybe we don't want to remind ourselves how the natives of this country fed our forebears so they didn't starve. and look what it got them. there's a lesson to be learned about helping colonists on your own shores. don't.

Fred- George is my comical savior as well.

Rogue Janson- southern europe? nothing ever great happened in southern europe except the fall of the roman empire (and another thing, those darned visigoths and ostrogoths ruined everything! we could have been to the moon by 1800 if Rome hadn't fallen apart.

Zam Sammich- yeah, i've had my share of craptastic roommates. if finances dictates you need one, make sure they don't have a psychotic history of Xanax and pop tarts. stupid optimists with carebear jammies! Just remember one thing... the french haven't fought a decent war in 80 years. just because GL hasn't directed a decent movie in 20 years doesn't mean your roomie has something over you. i've great hopes for the star wars series after GL dies of selling out.

Everyone, these are all good rants. and remember, death to d20 Cute Puppies on Crack!

Vash Knives
25 November 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Major T. Phennir
I'm with you Ravanger the Christmas season starts way to early. I'm in college and they all ready have so much decorations and it is not even Thanksgiving yet.
Ummm...Thankgiving has come and gone...at least in Canada-here we have nothing better to do then put up decorations and sit back listening to Christmas music.

Darth_Cassed
25 November 2003, 04:29 PM
Ummm...Thankgiving has come and gone...at least in Canada

Ah, those crazy Canadians are at it again :P .

Thanksgiving is on Thursday, November 27th, least here in the United States.

Just like to add, thinkin bout droppin the gf, might lighten the load!

Vash Knives
26 November 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed

Ah, those crazy Canadians are at it again :P .

Flattery will get you nowhere.

Zanus
26 November 2003, 06:03 PM
isn't Canada's thanksgiving for different reasons, or the same reason but they just decided to be different? latter wouldn't surprise me.

Darth_Cassed you want to drop your gf to make the holidays easier? Can I borrow her? my holidays aren't complicated enough. :P

Dr_Worm
28 November 2003, 12:55 PM
Canada's and the US have tahnksgiving for similar reasons. The US originally had thanksgiving at the same time as Canada, but at the time the date was sporadic and depedant on regonal preferance. Lincoln named the last thrusday in November officially as thanksgiving in 1863, in part to comemorate the ending fo the war of 1812. FDR tried to change it to the third week in November, but congress shut the idea down and it has been the fourth ever since.

Vash Knives
28 November 2003, 03:40 PM
But the US is better at celebrating the day-Canadians don't watch cheerleaders on our thankgiving-we wait till the american one. (I mean it-that's my only reason for watching football;) )

Darth_Cassed
12 December 2003, 07:59 PM
UPDATE:

Have dumped the woman, the load is much easier now!! Grades are up, projects are getting done. Bring it on Christmas!

JediJester
15 December 2003, 12:16 PM
You see cheerleaders on TV? What channel are you watching? Every sporting event I've ever paused on, will flash to the cheerleaders and instantly cover the shot up with sports stats. If there's gonna be a pause in the action on the field, fill it with the action of long legs and toned bodies in skimpy outfits bouncing around.

Screw the stats, if I wanted to know the damn stats, I'd hop online and look up more comprehensive ones than they're boring me with.

GIVE ME ACTION OR GIVE ME A VIEW!!!!

How's that for a rant?

Rogue Janson
15 December 2003, 01:18 PM
How about this. Some clever person decided it would be a good idea to schedule all the essays and stuff I have to do right after the holiday. That is, two 3,000 word essays, one on why Japan successfully modernised and China didn't around the turn of the 20th century and the other on how globalization constrains the choices of governments in two case studies (though I'm not happy about that one, I might change it, which would screw me up even further). Oh, and a book review (on Globalization and the Postcolonial World: the new political economy of development) which is due literally right after I get back. So I have a huge nasty pile of books on my bedroom floor (inlcuding two bloody great volumes of The Economic Development of Japan: 1868-1945) and I still think I'll probably have to go back early to look up more stuff.

So it's going to be a fun christmas... anyone know anything about this stuff and fancy helping me out?....

Vash Knives
15 December 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JediJester
You see cheerleaders on TV? What channel are you watching? Every sporting event I've ever paused on, will flash to the cheerleaders and instantly cover the shot up with sports stats. If there's gonna be a pause in the action on the field, fill it with the action of long legs and toned bodies in skimpy outfits bouncing around.

Screw the stats, if I wanted to know the damn stats, I'd hop online and look up more comprehensive ones than they're boring me with.

GIVE ME ACTION OR GIVE ME A VIEW!!!!

How's that for a rant?
Pre-game special on thanksgiving-about 30min of cheerleaders:D-and the internet is always good for getting cheerleaders without anything interupting them...

Ravager_of_worlds
17 December 2003, 09:34 AM
oh, we got a few good ones before christmas...

Darth Cassed: remember, women bring two things; fashion and alimony checks. men can do without either.

JediJester: I too would like more cheerleader coverage, but figure my time is better spent working on a real thermal d instead of suffering through hours of football for just a few cheerleader shots.

Rogue Janson: I must say it's good to be graduated since I no longer deal with sadistic professors. i hope you get a reading light for christmas. :)

Vash Knives: while your help is certainly appreciated by all i'm sure, i think you need to come up with another rant :)

-Keep whining and remember, death to d20 Cute Puppies on Crack!

JediJester
17 December 2003, 11:53 AM
I agree with you completely, Ravanger_of_Worlds, but that was on my mind since Thanksgiving. I was working on the campaign from hell at the only table large enough to spred my refrence books out on and was forced to watch/listen to football (it's completely pointless to argue with 6 beer swilling sports wackos).

Zanus
17 December 2003, 12:58 PM
Heh, I am so glad I am not gonna be at my Aunt and Uncles for xmas. All we would end up doing is watching sports that I care nothing for, and watching them try to act like they know what is going on in the world and with things I did in the past.

Coarse, I am quickly running out of games and books to read, and still don't have a freakin job. Job market around here sucks. Economy in most of the country is recovering and what does my corner of the world get? more lay offs as companies move to areas of the country with lower property taxes. grrrr.

wow, first serious rant I have had in awhile. Nice.

Vash Knives
17 December 2003, 02:04 PM
There's only one thing worse then cute puppies on crack-cute puppies on marijuana.8o

Dr_Worm
17 December 2003, 02:04 PM
You know what is driveing Freaking nuts?!?! Previews!

Why do the studios think I want the entire scope of the movie in 30 seconds? It just pisses me off that the movie is spoiled! Now I have read return of the king many times, and I knw what happens. I am cool with that. What I am not cool with is that one of the previews I accidentally say SHOWED SHELOB! That is probably one of the single most frightening moments I have ever read in a book, and I am really looking forward to it in the movie, but I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHAT SHE WILL LOOK LIKE!

The worst, though, is the new John Woo movie. I love his movies, and the premis looks great, but I happend to be a theater and I saw a 2.5min preview that let the whole damn move out of the bag! I will still see it, but it will not be the same.

wolverine
18 December 2003, 08:05 AM
One of my newer rants and pet peeves is adverts. It seems that england is the only country plagued with showing almost 15 minutes of adverts before they even get to the previews before a film.....

WTF. If i wanted to see ads, i would open up any mag, or turn on ITV/Channel 4.

Zanus
18 December 2003, 01:18 PM
all the ads I have seen at movies they keep until just after the previews. They are tricky too as they make you think "Allright, the previews are done! The movie must be one of those that starts with dialogue. Oh, wait, their trying to sell something. Early product placement? No, its paperback puppets. DARN YOU FANDANGO!!!" then of coarse the thing about piracy and maybe a mountain dew commercial thrown in for good effect and we are left thinking we could watch this on tv by the time it plays in the theatre.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to condone movie or music piracy, I just don't care to have a commercial waiste my time that I payed to spend on seeing something entertaining.

JediJester
18 December 2003, 02:29 PM
Ya know, there is one good thing about all the stupid adds and previews before the movie starts is that you don't have to arrive on time any more. I was almost a half hour late to the last movie I went to and I was still there before the movie started.

Grimace
18 December 2003, 05:40 PM
Man o mighty! I haven't seen any of these awful things (ads) that you all are talking about. I guess the theater here isn't into that yet. I'd hate that with a passion!

*counting myself lucky for once*

Tossk
18 December 2003, 05:56 PM
my theater does the commercials too, but you have to get to the theater about 20 minutes early to even see them.:D

Ravager_of_worlds
19 December 2003, 09:26 PM
Another worthy list of gripes before Santa Claws comes to town to rip off all our little heads to shove into his big red bag...

Zanus- I feel your pain, truly... I'm a temp worker at the moment at an insurance company. if your berg is large enough, it may host a temp agency, either Manpower or Kelly Services are adequate to the task at hand. when you need to pay the rent, trust me, you suck up your pride and take the hit. of course, i tell myself i'm waiting for a grad school to decide on whether they want me to teach Speech 101 to freshmen, but between you and me, i'll probably be working the insurance racket from now on (maybe i shouldn't be taste-testing the eggnogg).

Vash Knives- no one stones a dog unless it's with crack! (i'm a cat lover, can't you tell?) but puppies on maryjane? try any snoop dog album cover.

Dr Worm- an excellent rant! especially with the real christmas season being the Return of the King... as if my butt won't be numb already! add the extra commercials in? you gotta be kidding me! In my area, the local theaters run an advertising slide show! it's terrible- nothing to draw my eyes from the horrible, unchanging images on the screen ahead of me... and they're local businesses to boot... oh the humanity...

Wolverine, Zanus, Jedi Jester- right on. next time i go to the theater, i'm bringing calculator and billing the theater for wasting my time.

Grimace- aye laddy, ye ain't seen the power of the white whale till you're looking at twenty feet of font letters for Bagel Shoppe. Count yerself lucky young Ishmael. Argh (best crusty seaman's voice)

Tossk- that be no rant ye scurvy scamp! that be a rave!

keep up the griping everyone, maybe Santa will get stuck in our chimneys and we can hold him ransom. And remember, Death to Cute d20 Puppies on Crack!

Vash Knives
20 December 2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Ravager_of_worlds
Vash Knives- no one stones a dog unless it's with crack! (i'm a cat lover, can't you tell?) but puppies on maryjane? try any snoop dog album cover.

I am also a cat lover-there's one by my feet right now, in fact. The other two are around here someplace...

Ravager_of_worlds
20 December 2003, 06:32 AM
ah, the power of cute little furballs. i don't know how many forwarded cat pictures i've gotten in the last year... ones with lime football helmets on, ones soaking wet with the craziest looks on thei faces, ones curling up to a teddy bear... heh, if i wasn't so grinched about christmas i might feel warm and fuzzy.

mine is currently upstairs eating... i think that's all he does. 's not a bad life i suppose....

Dr_Worm
20 December 2003, 09:32 AM
Ugh...I will keep myself restrained, but man could I rant on the vileness of house cats. I think what it is, is that cat's are stubborn and selfish, and when it comes to pets so am I. So our personalities clash big time.

Ravager_of_worlds
20 December 2003, 08:41 PM
ah grasshopper, to understand the kitty, one must submit to the kitty. only then does the kitty love and comfort you. (best japanese sensei voice)

but please, rant and rave away- there are no areas off limits. after all, the christmas season is about giving :)