PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Thoughts

XanderPaddox
11 December 2003, 06:34 PM
I was very bored at work the other day and started doing some thinking.

Was is it that Luke retains the last name of "Skywalker," whereas Leia gets the last name of "Organa"?

Also, after watching A New Hope, why does Darth Vader tell Obi-Wan before their duel: "You should not have come back." After thinking more about that I am beginning to believe that there might be a duel between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in Episode III.

I don't know though, just mindless wondering, and looking for thoughts

www.raptorsquad.net - Be Prepared For The Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRodgers
11 December 2003, 06:49 PM
Interesting question about the Skywalker thing Big Al....I know Leia took the name Organa after Bail Organa who raised her as his daughter...not sure about Luke though...

In regards to Obi Wan and Anakin/Darth having it out, Im sure you can bet on that happening....I think GL has been leading up to it from the beginning of the Prequels. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised to see Obi Wan hand Anakin is butt ....then Anakin will probably cut loose and that will finally push him over completely to the darkside.

Just my guess anyway....I'm sure GL will make it well worth our while.

:D

Darth Fierce
12 December 2003, 04:09 AM
I just kind of wondered about why Luke retained the last name of Skywalker myself this morning. One theory I came up with is that due to the fact that Anakin was only Cleigg (sp.?) Lars' stepson, that then when Luke was rushed to be raised with Owen and Beru, they saw nothing wrong with Luke retaining the last name of his father and grandmother before him.

Another theory which we'll have to see if it comes to pass in Episode III is that as a result of the climatic battle between Anakin/Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi everyone assumes that Anakin is dead. As a result, everyone sees no harm in Luke retaining his last name. Only later do the characters find out that Anakin survived his battle with Obi-Wan.

Just my two cents.

Darth Fierce :vader:

BRodgers
12 December 2003, 04:28 AM
Interesting thoughts Darth Fierce!

I wonder if they let Luke retain the name Skywalker because, heck, who knows, maybe it's a relatively common name in the SW universe?

Kinda like Jones or Smith....I mean, sure, in the movies and books all of the major characters have different names to keep them straight...but what about the guy who washes the windows on the Imperial palace?

"Hey, whos the new guy?

"Frank Skywalker, we gave him static for weeks since he's the new window washer..HA! Get it? Skywalker cause he, you know...washes windows...high up.."

"Yeah, that joke's timeless"

Just a thought.

:D

Darth Fierce
12 December 2003, 04:52 AM
My third and most plausible theory...Luke retains the last name of Skywalker because its a major plot point. Imagine what The Empire Strikes Back would have been like if Luke was given the last name of Lars.

Darth Vader: I am your father.

Luke: Wait a second...how could you be my father...my last name is Lars, and your last name is, what?

Darth Vader: Skywalker. Nonetheless, I am your father...search your heart, you know it to be true.

Luke: Umm...I'm not sure...if your my father, why are our last names different?

Darth Vader: Well it's a long story, and it goes back to when I decided to go medieval on a bunch of Tusken Raiders. Then...

Then we'd have Luke wanting a midichlorian test done to prove that Vader's his dad. And then, Vader would have to start paying back-owed child support from the Imperial treasury. And so on...

What do y'all think?

Darth Fierce :vader:

Boca Jantho
12 December 2003, 05:10 AM
Yes yes. Some very interesting musings here. And everyone has some really good thoughts and ideas.

Me? I tend to be more of a conspiracy theory guy.

Now lets look at the fact that Obi-wan was on Tattoine. Was that a coincidence? Not hardly. I bet you anything that when it becomes pretty clear who Palpatine is and the Jedi were about wiped out, Yoda and Old ben and whoever else was around devised this ploy to "hide" the kids.

You know following GL's story there are only two Jedi left, Yoda and Ben. They obviously couldnt protect both kids so they sent Leia with Bail Organa and hid her in "DEEP DEEP cover"

Then Ben took up residence on Tatooine watching and waiting for Luke to get old enough to face his father. Even Yoda said he has been watching Luke his whole life.

I have always thought that Darth Vader/Anakin didnt know he had kids. That somehow they were able to keep it from him that Padme was pregnant ( Of course i am also betting that she isnt really the kids mother) I mean Darth Vader didnt even know about Leia until RotJ. I have also gotten the impression that until the Battle of Yavin and some soul searchign by Vader that he realized that the kid who blew up the Emperor's new toy was his kid.

Just some thoughts of mine. May be a little bit out there for some of you. But those are my theories.

--Tony

BRodgers
12 December 2003, 05:38 AM
Hmmmmmmmm

Interesting ideas Darth and Boca!

Ya know, an interesting "Infinities" story might be....

What if Lukes father were Obi Wan Kenobi?

Maybe Obi Wan and Padme got intimate....and that pushed Ankakin over to the dark side....then Luke would later find out that Obi Wan is his father and maybe not have taken pity on Darth since he killed his real "father"....ohh revenge!

And then what of Luke? After giving into rage and revenge and killing Vader, would he have paired up withthe Emporer? Or tried to honor his real fathers spirit and stay with the light side?

And for the record, when Dark Horse steals this idea in the next year or so,I want credit.

;)

baal
12 December 2003, 06:33 AM
I think that the last names were taken as the family was more of a social thing. It would allow them to have a family connection to their adopted family and not feel like a stranger in the family. Feeling like a stranger as a kid can lead to some physiological problems as an adult and that is not a good thing for a Jedi. So I think they (jedis) did it so that the kids could live normal lives. Even though the name of Skywalker , on Anakinís home planet none the less, is a blunt give away about his heritage. If Luke used the force around Vader he would have given away he was his son. This is what I believe happened in the trench of the first death star.

This maybe a spoiler (but if so it is an old one):
As for the confrontation I remember reading something a long time ago saying that obi-wan and Anakin go at it on a volcano and in the battle Anakin gets knocked in the lava, this is the source of most of his injuries and cybernetics.

Boca Jantho
13 December 2003, 07:59 AM
Yes Baal I also remember hearing that years ago. It just remains to be seen if GL will keep it that way. I have seen some productions pics from SW Insider and Anakin looks pretty rough. All his battles in the Clone Wars I guess.

I am certain though that alot of these questions will be answered in 2005. But I also think that new questions will be formed. Alas, it's an ongoing struggle.

Tony

elfgirl1973
14 December 2003, 11:09 PM
I've always just thought that Luke keeping the last name Skywalker even thought he was supposed to be "hidden" was more or less a convenience for the storyline. I guess also, that Obi-Wan figured that Anakin was so traumatized by what had happened on Tattooine, he figured he would never set foot on it again. In effect, hiding in the very last place in the galaxy Anakin/Darth Vader would want to go. I always thought that Leia had actually been formally adopted into the Organa family, thus her last name, whereas, for some reason, Owen and Beru didn't decide to adopt Luke.

Boca Jantho
15 December 2003, 03:44 AM
Well elfgirl I am sure you are right about the storyline. To borrow a line from a friend. Its like that because its in the script. :D

I do agree also that Tatooine was the last place anybody would think to look. I mean all the drama that had occurred there sounds like reason enough for me.

Tony