PDA

View Full Version : Where's StarWarsRPG.Net, and the Journal?

Darklighter
13 December 2003, 11:37 AM
I tried to access the site today, both the Main page and the Journal page, and was redirected to another site called Underground Dreams. What the heck is that, and are there some problems with the site?

Deck
13 December 2003, 12:58 PM
Same here! Very odd! The whole site seems to have disappeared, although I was able to access it this morning. It was gone tonight! :? Very confusing...

Vanger Chevane
13 December 2003, 01:30 PM
Either someone forgot to renew the URL & that's the registrar's paid redirect, or someone's illegally taken control or that URL from the proper owners, and the Registrar needs to know about it.

Some Registrar's won't reflect that a URL registered through another competing service is in use. Someone else registers the URL & Fraudulently gains control of it.

Using various WHOIS services should give you some info on the situation.

evan hansen
14 December 2003, 08:55 AM
Wow -- OK, that was weird.

I was gone all of yesterday, so I'm sorry I didn't notice that sooner, folks. But it appears that all is well. I'm shooting my friend over at our ISP a message to see if he can lend any more explanation to what happened -- exact details, etc.

To those of you who work on the Journal, who operate any of the hosted sites, and who visit the site regularly, I'm sorry for the trouble. But as has been theorized already, I'm not sure that it was anything more than the work of some internet vandal because our domain doesn't expire until next fall.

If/when I have more details, I'll post them here.

Thanks for your patience, and MANY thanks to all those who emailed and PM'd me (I wouldn't have checked the site today otherwise). It's good to know that the community is watching my/our backs. :-) And look forward to the next issue of the Journal fairly soon. I've seen an early preview, and it's everything you've all come to love and expect in terms of quality.

-Evan-

Dr_Worm
14 December 2003, 12:53 PM
I'm shooting my friend over at our ISP...

You know, Evan, this incident was unfortunate, but don't you think that capital punisment is a bit unwarrented?

Darth_Cassed
14 December 2003, 03:39 PM
You know, Evan, this incident was unfortunate, but don't you think that capital punisment is a bit unwarrented?

NEVER! Out with their spleens!

scottyboy
15 December 2003, 05:16 AM
Just wanted to pop my nose in on this thread and second what Evan said about the next issue of the OJ!

You can all look forward to 60+ pages (that's right, <b>60+ pages</b>) of Star Wars and Star Wars RPG material on your desktops VERY soon!

evan hansen
15 December 2003, 07:44 AM
Heh.

When not shooting my ISP buddy, I've been shooting him emails. And it turns out we know what happened:

The fella that owns that site that was temporarily where all of you were being redirected to managed to, through a significant glitch in the ISP's new control panel, update ALL the records for the web server and redirect ALL the domains to the same location.

Once the ISP found out, they went back and re-updated everything and fixed the glitch, so all is well.

Just wanted to let anyone who was curious know what was up. That's really been our first and only problem since we moved to the new ISP, and it was taken care of in a matter of hours on a Saturday evening, so I'm pretty pleased.

If I don't post anything again before the holidays, best wishes to you all!

Thinithil
15 December 2003, 01:40 PM
I'm still getting

UGDArmy & ProFuzion Productions bring you...

instead of RPG.Net

Ok, just linked from another site and its cool. Maybe something in the cache wouldn't let go?

Nova Spice
15 December 2003, 07:24 PM
You can all look forward to 60+ pages (that's right, 60+ pages) of Star Wars and Star Wars RPG material on your desktops VERY soon!

Holy Supplements! Are you guys sure you're releasing an issue of the OJ? It sounds more like an e-book to me! 8o

Sounds great scottyboy! :D

Nafai
15 December 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Thinithil
I'm still getting

UGDArmy & ProFuzion Productions bring you...

instead of RPG.Net

Ok, just linked from another site and its cool. Maybe something in the cache wouldn't let go?

Yeah, if you're running windows, open a command line and run "ipconfig /flushdns". Don't forget to empty your browser's cache too.

LawgSkrak
16 December 2003, 07:14 AM
60+ Pages ??? Whoooohooo!!! :)

So should I start sending stuff for Issue five yet?

Darklighter
16 December 2003, 08:13 AM
I'm really glad the problems got sorted out. Thanks for filling us in on the details, Evan.

Ardent
22 December 2003, 10:41 PM
This sort of thing happens frequently with people who manage multiple websites...they goof setting up the DNS routing and everyone ends up at their personal webpage or one of the other webpages and nobody knows what's going on. ;)

It's not usually malevolent.