PDA

View Full Version : Dooku: What is public knowledge?

cdtatro
17 December 2003, 11:17 AM
I'm planning a game set in the Clone Wars and can't decide what is publicly known about Dooku, both by the Republic and by the Confederation.

They know he was a former Jedi. Presumably the Jedi Council knows he is walking the Dark Side now but may not know that he is a Sith specifically. But what does the average joe in the Confederacy know about their charismatic leader? Do folks just stop being Jedi and take up politics? I notice in AotC he's very careful not to use any Jedi abilities publicly - only when confronted alone by Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Even if the Council knows he's a Sith, do the rank-and-file Jedi? And they certainly don't know who he's working for yet.

I haven't read any of the novels or comics dealing with the time period, so if any of this is covered I'd love to get references.

Thanks,

Chris

Dax Freeman
17 December 2003, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that Count Dooku was at one time (probably infancy) a royal of some sort and taken into the Jedi fold. When he left the order, he re-acquired his immense wealth and title. I haven't heard much about this point. I can't recall where I read it either, so it may not be a full truth. If anyone else has heard something on this point it could be quite relavent.

johnnyputrid
17 December 2003, 12:38 PM
Dooku was a well-known Jedi, having been trained by Yoda himself. Qui-Gon Jinn was once Dooku's Padawan, though whether or not this was public knowledge is unknown. Dooku probably downplayed his prior association with the Jedi and used his status as the Count of Serreno to recreate himself in the public eye. Memories seem to fade rather quicly in the SW universe.

It should be known that he was very, very wealthy and a charismatic leader, but little other personal information would be available. Most likely he wouldn't have publicized his split from the Jedi. Dooku's skills at manipulation could have affected the media, essentially "rewriting" himself, to better serve his plans as the leader of the Confederacy. The average joe probably wouldn't know, or even care about his past. They'd be more concerned at what he could do for them now.

Zanus
17 December 2003, 12:43 PM
IIRC, He came straight out and told Obi-wan that he is Sith. So I am sure the counsil and key political members of the Republic know, but that info would be kept from the general public and probably the lower ranking jedi fearing they might do something brash.

The seperatists I believe know he serves a greater power, but not all of them know the nature. I am sure the geonosians, having served Sidiious previously, know Dooku is Sith or at least a dark sider. Again, they all likely keep that sort of info from lower ranks as they dont' need to know who their benefactors are or their nature.

so basically, the fact he even has force powers would be a semi-tightly held secret that the average joe knows little to nothing about. This is on both sides of the conflict. It may leak at some point that he was a former Jedi, but I am betting most people will assume he doesn't have the same control or ability with the force that the Jedi do.

Just my thoughts.

Kordeth
17 December 2003, 09:25 PM
Dooku didn't tell Obi-Wan he was Sith, he told Obi-Wan that Palpatine was Sith and together they could defeat him, and that idea was so utterly absurd Obi-Wan probably never even mentoned it.

Zanus
17 December 2003, 10:35 PM
ACtually I don't think he mentioned Palpy by name. Just said the REpublic is under the control of the Sith. Although this is an obvious thing to us, nothing is that obvious in GL's galaxy.

Faraer
18 December 2003, 01:11 PM
Here's (http://www.holonetnews.com/54/news/1352_1.html) what was publicly known about Dooku before the Battle of Geonosis.

The Jedi know Count Dooku is a Sith, the same way they know Darth Maul was. Jedi -- Dooku makes this explicit in the EU (possibly Lucas Licensing waited for the Episode III script to set this down). For whatever reason, it seems they haven't made this publicly known.

The Jedi Council will have considered Dooku's suggestion that a Sith controlled the Senate very carefully. Dooku knew the comment would sow confusion.

Darth Fury
19 December 2003, 01:18 AM
The Jedi know that Dooku is a sith after his actions at Geonosis, but not before. They knew that he opposed the building of a republic armed military force but if they had known prior to Geonosis they would have done their best to destroy him.
Remember when Qui-gon and Obi-wan first encountered Darth Maul the Council resisted the notion that there were any sith left. I think Mace even said that it was impossible for him to be a sith, because they were all destroyed a thousand years ago.