PDA

View Full Version : Oddball RPGers

Bigity_B
23 December 2003, 11:39 AM
Don't you hate it when you're bored at work, so you start chatting with the new guy.

Then you get excited when ya'll start talking about D&D and playing tabletop and games and all that.

Then the freak says something like, "I am working on designing a game system." You think, "Well, I guess that's ok, some people are very talented with that kind of thing". Then he adds "Considering the last one I made I sold to Steve Jackson..." You think, "Uh-oh", and then he finishes, "...and it became GURPS."

Then you have to leave the room before you laugh and him and cry at the same time. :(

farr0095
23 December 2003, 11:45 AM
I've got the same problem with a co-worker, only it's not GURPS. Or RPGs for that matter. But it's everything else in the world you can possibly imagine. You sit around and you wonder "What the heck are you doing in this job if you're so dang good?"

Um... wait, I just went off topic. Oops.

Um, but yeah, RPGers can certainly be oddballs.

How about those that throw in random stats as you're talking.

Situation: At martial arts class. Another guy, mostly D&D'er (I pretty much stick to SWRPG) says "Ah, but you can't hit me. I have uncanny dodge."

And I say, "But I get two strikes."

"You aren't a monk; you can't have Flurry of Blows."

"No, I play Star Wars. Heroic Surge."

I couldn't believe I actually got into that conversation!

Bigity_B
23 December 2003, 11:46 AM
Heh. Well all geeks "geek-out" from time to time. I do at least. But I don't claim to have feats in real life and I certainly don't claim to be the inventor of GURPS lol!

Dr_Worm
23 December 2003, 01:37 PM
Yea, I think too many geeks and nerds have low self image problems, so they tned to inflate themselves. Though this dude may actully believe that some half-assed game he sent to SJG was stolen and used for GURPS. Paranoia and delusions of grandeur are par for the course. This is one reason I cannot hang with geeks too much, they live up to the stereotype far too often.

The Ghost
23 December 2003, 03:03 PM
i don't know, those sound like nerds to me.

Ravager_of_worlds
23 December 2003, 06:48 PM
hm... i've found myself watching movies and trying to figure out game stats in star wars for them... now that's geeky.

what i hate, is meeting fellow gamers and they fit the stupid hollywood stereotype of gamers. the last comic convention i almost died of... well.. reality. i think that has more to do with the people who go to conventions, not actual rpgers.

Jedi_Staailis
23 December 2003, 09:24 PM
Paranoia and delusions of grandeur are par for the course. This is one reason I cannot hang with geeks too much, they live up to the stereotype far too often.

I consider myself a nerd/dork/geek/whatever. I'm interested in computers, engineering, Star Wars, and roleplaying. But I also play sports, stay abrest in current events, and can get through a conversation with a member of the opposite sex without going into hysterics.

Sure, some gamers have self-esteem issues, perhaps even more than the average for the population. But most don't. I just laugh at some of my weirder characteristics and enjoy my hobbies. I'll take comfort in the positive traits I do have and understand that there are some things I won't be (for example, I'll never have fashion sense, even if that does fit the stereotype :D). I think most gamers have that attitude. The ones that don't... well, they become stereotype fodder.

Zanus
23 December 2003, 10:58 PM
heh, I actually met a guy that did artwork for Palladium books. It was no lie, he could prove it. Saw alot of his work, and it was great.

Anyway, one of my friends and I cannot go to a movie without thinking of game stats. We will even discuss them on the way home or to our next stop (game store or food usually). The only time I told him it didn't seem right for him to be doing this was when we saw Lilo and Stitch (our jobs sucked royaly and we needed something funny and entertaining, even if it was for kids). I walk out thinking of all the funny things, he is walking out thinking of possible back grounds for that giant whale and their game stats. I told him it was time we got a new hobby.

farr0095
24 December 2003, 01:54 AM
Now wait a second! I have to object to that Lilo and Stitch comment. I couldn't help but think of Star Wars stats then. I mean, Stitch would be the coolest NPC/PC to throw into a mix. An genetically engineered alien with four arm, incredible stamina, minor shapeshifting abilities, and fortititude to counter a tank with?? Imagine throwing that in front of your PCs and having them think "Oh, it's a cute little furry guy" right before Stitch pulls out his four heavy blaster pistols and opens up! Hahaha! I love that idea!

Doh! I just proved that I think about stats too often too. Need... mental... break.

cheshire
24 December 2003, 10:34 AM
Okay, I can kind of identify with the geeking out thing. I mean... I know what is acceptable in polite society. I write for a respectable caving magazine, I'm a devoted youth pastor, and I have a good place teaching Philosophy and Ethics at a nearby college. But get me together with another dork or two (or Star Wars gamer) and I can out-wierd you in a nanosecond.

Relevant example:
I was working at a library during my graduate studies. I was sitting there at the front desk and a guy asks for an application and begins filling it out there in front of me. He comes to the part of the application that says "Please list any special skills that may assist you in this job."

He says to me, "Skills? What should I put for skills?"
I reply "Your feeble skills are no match for the POWER of the DARK SIDE!" with my best Emperor impersonation.
He nearly wet himself with laughter.

We wound up gaming together that semester.

Admiral_Atredies
24 December 2003, 11:33 AM
I gave up hanging around with any "harcore gamers" or "geeks" long ago. I dunno, I just didn't seem to really fit in with them, and they can kinda weird me out. I really only play with my close circle of friends, because if I even utter something like D20 or Skill Checks around most of the people I know, they just stare and walk away slowly.:)

But, I have known people with some outrageous claims to "Geekdom Fame" as I call it, Including someone who said they submited artwork to a D&D Soucrebook and got paid something like 500 dollars for one piece.

MassassiC
24 December 2003, 12:05 PM
I just usually tell people like to prove it or shut up :)
Besides, if I knew the person who gave SJG the idea for GURPS, I would shoot them =)

Darth_Cassed
24 December 2003, 01:27 PM
I think most of the HoloNet fits into "Addicted, love it, do it in my spare time, but I'm no nerd" kinda theme, cause thats me right there.

Ardent
31 December 2003, 12:22 PM
I see in numbers. Is that weird?

j/k

I dunno. Some people are just more attuned to it than others. I have one of those brains that, while I don't necessarily have any particular gift for numbers, art, writing or the like, I can pick out a pattern in any of the above in an instant, and by the same token I can also notice the break in the pattern. So my perceptions are always a bit "off" as far as "regular" people are concerned. I've learned to shut up and let people think I don't see whatever it is they're missing.

I try not to let my thoughts wander to "Man, what would his statistics be like?" when I'm watching a movie because that tends to distract me until the end of the movie and then I get annoyed that I missed it. ;)

Although, I can't help it with Kevin Smith movies, because you KNOW he has stats for all of his characters somewhere. :/ Besides, the plot's not as important as the jokes. :)

Jaggard
31 December 2003, 01:28 PM
I had some materials accepted by TSR before they became part of WotC.

seriously.

I'm not joking.

Alright it wasn't much. In More Leaves from the inn of the last home (sequel to Leaves...) a DragonLance guide/journal; not much if anything in the way of stats. I submitted some Kender Taunts and a magical artifact that got in the book. Thing is I can't remember which taunts are mine. I submitted those and some gnomish inventions back before 1995 when they asked people to e-mail in ideas for it. Years passed and I forgot until one day I got a package from TSR (maybe it was WotC By then) and it was the free copy they gave to those who had ideas that made it into the book. I was so proud of my name in the back as a contributer. And honored they had chosen my artifact for the book (with some editing; nothing unclean). It was the synchronised necklaces that allowed for perfectly timing tasks. I forget what they renamed it and my orginals of it, te taunts and some gnomish inventions I submitted were lost in a computer crash years ago.

I know sounds like I'm lieing and even then who cares but if it's never happened to you then... I'm better then you :P J/K (what I was going to say was if you havn't experianced it then you can't understand how proud and big headed it can make you). Look for my name in the back of the book and see my itty bitty contribution. I can't help feeling a little pride in them, and it's not like pride is a sin... oh wait :rolleyes:

Though it's true this is the first time I've really bragged. I find it annoying when others do it too. And I really dislike it when some out and out lie, it just makes it so I can't trust anything they say anymore. What's worse is I'm very trusting, so I can often end up telling people about my freind who... and be made into a liar myself by no intent of my own.

Before this gets too long (:raised: *cou-toolate-gh*) I totally get the seeing patterns thing. I've actually been yelled at for it. Long story. I'm no great shakes at math (though I do consider myself an artist and fan of sciences, but one of my strengths is seeing things others miss and predicting things that other never expect even when it's so obvious to me where things are going.

Vash Knives
3 January 2004, 06:31 AM
May I ask what the frell is GURPS?

Vanger Chevane
3 January 2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Vash Knives
May I ask what the frell is GURPS?

Generic Universal Role-Playing System.

Nother attempt at a be-all, end-all RPG system that fell flat on it's face as being way too vanilla & attempting to accomplish far to much to be a good system for most any specific game.

Only going by reputation, never touched it myself.

Penangallan
3 January 2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane

Generic Universal Role-Playing System.

Nother attempt at a be-all, end-all RPG system that fell flat on it's face as being way too vanilla & attempting to accomplish far to much to be a good system for most any specific game.

Only going by reputation, never touched it myself.
GURPS isn't all bad, actually. The source material released for the game is extravagant in a lot of cases, and easily adaptable to just about any system you want (if you have the time and inclination to do a little work).

As far as the mechanics go, it's a functional system with merit. There are a lot of rules to go by (many of them optional), and if you try to use all of them without having an intimate familiarity with the system, you're probably going to drive yourself nuts.

If it has one major downfall, it is that it is easily twinked and min/maxed. Characters are built on points, and I've known several GURPS die-hards who were very good at stacking the numbers in their favor. As with any system that is configurable, GURPS is easily abused.

Sure, the game system itself does turn some people off, but hey, so does HERO, or d20. Before you dismiss it, you should at least try it.

As for GURPS falling flat on its face, I seriously doubt that's true. SJG is still out there, plugging out GURPS supplements at a very good rate. Whether this means people are buying them to use with GURPS or their favorite (non-GURPS) system is a matter for conjecture. The fact remains that there is still a demand for these books, they sell, and Steve Jackson Games is still producing material at regular intervals long after many other perfectly good game companies have gone under.

Gary

hisham
4 January 2004, 07:00 AM
Anyone who wishes to give GURPS a try without buying the rule book can download the distilled GURPS Lite (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/) for free.