PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Issue 4???

scottyboy
29 December 2003, 08:44 AM
Hey, I just wanted to check and see what you guys thought of Issue 4 of the Journal... If you choose option 3 or 4 please tell us why so that we can attempt to fix the problem in our next issue... Thanks all!!!

Nova Spice
29 December 2003, 03:03 PM
Best. Journal. Ever. ;)

Donovan Morningfire
1 January 2004, 05:52 AM
I'd have to say this issue of the Journal is your best yet. Here's hoping that things only get better. And if there's a wait to a product of this quality, then that's alright by me.

Dr_Worm
2 January 2004, 01:24 PM
I think that this issue was fantastic. I will say, however, that as much as I love the size, I am not sure it outweighs the long publishing time. In the future if there is ever a concern about size verses turnover time, give turnover time a heavier weight. I know that real life is a consideration, so I will not hammer the subject, but I would take a shorter issue more often rather than a long issue less often.

Rogue Janson
2 January 2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with Gabriel, if you can cut the production time by reducing the length of the journal, then I'd probably recommend doing so. Of course, I don't know whether this is actually feasible or not.

Perhaps you could regularise some features to help guarantee content. Maybe get someone or a group of people to commit to writing a series on a particular topic. Or maybe have a couple of articles with a standard format as regular features, to be filled by whoever submits. Having a structure and theme might help encourage people to submit. Just some random ideas.

So anyway, the presentation, content and artwork, all brilliant, the only complaint is that I want more and more often and, as Han Solo might say, that's the real trick isn't it?

LawgSkrak
3 January 2004, 12:46 PM
Great issue guys. Well worth the wait. :)

Ardent
3 January 2004, 01:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, where's the "It's evil I tell you, eeeeeevil!" And for that matter "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Huh? Huh? *prods Scotty*

Darth_Cassed
3 January 2004, 02:53 PM
I agree, there should be normal columns or articles in there to look forward to, like a normal magazine.

Good stuff though, long wait :P

Ardent
3 January 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson I agree with Gabriel, if you can cut the production time by reducing the length of the journal, then I'd probably recommend doing so. Of course, I don't know whether this is actually feasible or not.

With me writing? I remain skeptical.

Perhaps you could regularise some features to help guarantee content. Maybe get someone or a group of people to commit to writing a series on a particular topic. Or maybe have a couple of articles with a standard format as regular features, to be filled by whoever submits. Having a structure and theme might help encourage people to submit. Just some random ideas.

Well, actually, I think most of what you saw, with the exception of the Dark Side-themed stuff is all regular stuff. In effect, you're going to see similar columns next issue. Which isn't to say you shouldn't expect a huge amount of content pertaining to the issue's theme. We aim for loquaciousness.

So anyway, the presentation, content and artwork, all brilliant, the only complaint is that I want more and more often and, as Han Solo might say, that's the real trick isn't it?

Well, you could help us out there. I know it's not as cool for you when you open an issue of the OJ and see your own work in there, but for everyone else it's really nifty. So I will unabashedly ask anyone with anything to contribute to the Journal to do so. The less you have to rely on the regular contributors, the more likely it is you'll see the Journal more frequently.

Ravager_of_worlds
3 January 2004, 05:25 PM
yet another advocate for a regularized format, columns like Urgkle (i love that Gammorean) and such.

maybe something like...
-newsnets
-2 cartoons?
-urgkle
-planetary writeup
-short fiction (1 or 2)
-bestiary (galactic discovery channel)
-3 to 5 submission

and of course, a regularized schedule (maybe 3 or 4 issues a year?) it could be capped between 30-50 pages. but again, no one's getting paid so the incentive is purely motivational.

LawgSkrak
4 January 2004, 12:41 PM
Hye guys

Don't woory. The Galaxy Wide News Nets are going to be a regular feature, written by yours truly.

What did everyone think of the first batch by the way.

I thought they looked excellent, but, scottyboy, you forgot to put the Holonet News time on it. Oh well, next issue. :)

And I really liked Bob's newscaster. Looked great.

Nova Spice
4 January 2004, 04:29 PM
Something that I've been wanting to see for quite some time is Adventures. And thinking about it, I have enough material in my NJO campaign to probably submit a few for perusal.

So, could the OJ use an Adventure Section?

Ardent
4 January 2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
So, could the OJ use an Adventure Section?

Before life conspired to drag us off kicking and screaming, Scotty and I were considering writing a few for the Journal ourselves. I suspect the answer would be a resounding "yes!" as such.

Ris
26 January 2004, 10:06 AM
Wonderful issue! And Ardent, you're right--it is cool to see your own stuff in the OJ. Also, SWAG's Judas provided some fantastic artwork for Cadences 3. I'm especially fond of the picture of Z'Rissa included with theDramatis Personae. That is very definitely her!