PDA

View Full Version : WOTC Store Closures !!!

xavant trollian
30 December 2003, 06:36 PM
December 29, 2003
WOTC Closing Retail Stores
Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., announces it will be closing its chain of retail stores, including Wizards of the Coast stores and the affiliated The Game Keeper stores. The closure should be completed within approximately 60 days. [Press Release]

xavant trollian
30 December 2003, 06:49 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031228/285028_1.html

There is the " official " news posting... :(

Another sad, sad day in gaming !

Nova Spice
31 December 2003, 10:57 AM
Nah, it's no big deal. I imagine Wizard's specific retail stores were never a large portion of WotC's income in the first place.

Many gamers prefer to order online or visit their local card shop or hobby shop for Wizard's products. I'd be willing to bet my college savings that ninety-five percent of the Holonet's members have never visited a WotC retail store.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's probably going to save Wizard's money, if anything at all. ;)

Thinithil
31 December 2003, 11:17 AM
Absolutley true. We had two in the Twin Cities that I knew of and although I visited them I only made a purchase at the clearance sales. I prefer the atmosphere of smaller privately run game shops!!

dgswensen
31 December 2003, 11:36 AM
Speaking as a hardcore gamer, I don't lament this in the slightest.

I recently had the opportunity to visit a Wizards store in Minneapolis, and I didn't spend ten seconds in the place before determining there was nothing there to interest me, and that it was basically the last place I'd want to shop. There was much better selection to be had elsewhere, and some of it even non-Wizards too (what a concept).

If you want to support gaming, support your local independent gaming shop instead.

Dr_Worm
31 December 2003, 08:07 PM
I have been in my local WoTC many-a-time, but have never bought anything RPG there. I like the selection of card games and party games, I am not sure where I will look for these now, but for an RPG store it sucked. The only money I have spent there was for Magic cards.

Macdeth
10 January 2004, 09:40 PM
Good thing I looked this twice..I almost thought it said Wizards, the company was done...scared the crap out of me...cause there are like no other role playing companies out there ya know ;)