PDA

View Full Version : rebels and there ships

Tinsel
12 January 2004, 08:37 AM
we all know about the alphabet ships the rebels used during the rebellion (x,y,b,and a wing) but what other kinds of fighters did they use?

coldskier0320
12 January 2004, 08:42 AM
Z-95s, airspeeders (T47s), basically anything they could get their hands on.

Rogue Janson
12 January 2004, 09:39 AM
The alphabet named ships (Y-Wing excepted) are generally ones designed and produced by the Alliance, hence their predominance. But, like Coldskier said, they'd use pretty much anything they could get their hands on. The X-Wing games are a good source for these ships - Z-95 headhunters, R-41 Starchasers, Cloakshape fighters are probably the most common, but supafighters, planetary fighters, razor fighters and numerous others would also have bern used. Particularly once Imperials started defecting, the Alliance used some TIEs. In the NR era they're quite common as Star Destroyers often defected with their entire wing, but in the Rebellion era they don't seem to be used much.

Errin Orwain
26 January 2004, 09:57 PM
Acctually the T-65a was designed by the Incom corp, who also produced the prototypes. the design team stole the prototypes and designs and defected to the Rebellion when the Empire decided to "Nationalize" Incom. So it was not designed by the Rebellion, they just got to take advantage of one of the best designs of their era.

Vash Knives
27 January 2004, 03:31 AM
The Rebels added shields to their TIEs

Ronin
31 January 2004, 04:33 AM
You could always throw in Daggers, Morningstars and Dianogas from the Starfighter games...and a shedload of ships from the PC games (X-wing alliance et al)...

Nova Spice
31 January 2004, 06:56 PM
I would personally find it within reason to make the claim that any starfighter in existence would/could have made it into Alliance hands. As a resistance movement, I doubt the Rebels were really picky concerning their weapons of war.

If you can think of a ship, then you can probably bet that there's a chance that a few of its type can be found in Alliance hands, particularly early on in the Galactic Civil War.

Vanger Chevane
1 February 2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
I would personally find it within reason to make the claim that any starfighter in existence would/could have made it into Alliance hands. As a resistance movement, I doubt the Rebels were really picky concerning their weapons of war.

If you can think of a ship, then you can probably bet that there's a chance that a few of its type can be found in Alliance hands, particularly early on in the Galactic Civil War.

Not to mention a sizable arrangement of mutt "Ugly" designs hashed from whatever could be thrown together that reasonably worked, ranging from starfighters to the infamous "Assault Frigate".

IIRC Ackbar's Flagship, Home One, was originally intended to be a Luxury Liner.

Tinsel
1 February 2004, 11:55 AM
thanks everyone for the good idea's. I plan on having a mixture of ships for use.

coldskier0320
2 February 2004, 08:41 AM
Also, if youre talking late war, dont forget two of my personal faves, the E-Wing and the V-wing (i know they're in with the ABX and Y wings, but they are ships from a different era).

Vanger Chevane
2 February 2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
Also, if youre talking late war, dont forget two of my personal faves, the E-Wing and the V-wing (i know they're in with the ABX and Y wings, but they are ships from a different era).

The E-, V-, & K-Wings are NR designs built to complement or replace the aging X-, Y-, possibly even A-, & B-Wing designs.

I don't have much info on the V-Wing, but the depictions during the Yevethan Crisis are that E-Wing is relatively new, and the K-Wing has its combat debut, having only recently been fielded as a Production Fighter/Bomber.

Rogue Janson
2 February 2004, 02:06 PM
The E-Wing, iirc, is first seen in the Dark Empire series and was introduced just after the Thrawn crisis. The V-Wing is deployed at the Battle of Calamari, in Dark Empire, and I think this is the vehicle's first use.
As far as I know the K-Wing isn't mentioned anywhere but the Black Fleet Crisis. Rationalising the obvious fact the authors either didn't like it or forgot about it, it was probably only produced for the new fifth(?) fleet. Presumably after successful initial deployment some problem emerged leading to the ship falling out of favour.

badjediguy
24 February 2004, 03:19 PM
The alliance also, conceivably uses a mixture of uglies as well. Such as the X-TIE

Darth_Cassed
24 February 2004, 03:43 PM
However ultimately Nova Spice would be correct. Any ship they could get their hands on would be inducted into the fleet. Any uglies, normal starfighters, capital ships, pirate ships; they all make it in. You even see Imperial capital ships in the fleet, it's a bet that there are Imperial fighters on their side or some ships are beefed up with Imperial systems put in.

Some manufacturers, such as Incom, did make supplies solely for the rebellion purpose. Droids, systems, ships, weapons, food....you name it, they had it. They either stole it, bought it, or it was donated.

They also accepted pirates, mercenaries, and smugglers into the ranks. We see Han Solo as a rebel, as well as Lando Calrissian. Not everyone was a true rebel, they all had their reasons for helping.

JediMaster56
22 March 2004, 04:54 PM
dont forget the millenium falcon it may not be a direct ship but has helped luke and leia therefor it should count as a rebel space ship

JediMaster56
22 March 2004, 04:57 PM
there is also naboo space fighters atleast thats what i heard

Nova Spice
22 March 2004, 05:57 PM
there is also naboo space fighters atleast thats what i heard

Possibly, though I wouldn't doubt the Rebel Alliance would utilize the Naboo fighters if they could get their hands on them, I'm somewhat skeptical if that particular design even makes it past the Clone Wars.

That's actually something I'd be interested in learning once Episode III hits theaters. There's a whole slew of starship models that effectively disappear in the aftermath of the Clone Wars--it'd be interesting to find out which ones can still be found during the Rebellion Era.

stunnedtodeath
29 March 2004, 06:54 AM
the reference to the Naboo fighter brings up a good point. There might be a lot of atmosphere-capable ships adapted to space due to low cost

Fingon
15 April 2004, 01:51 PM
Ever played Rouge Squadron? With a cheat you can fly a V-wing.
It has 1 large wing that curves down on the sides, with HUGE engines taped to the underside. It has 2 guns on both side of the cockpit and one missle launcher.

Fingon
16 April 2004, 07:45 AM
That's actually something I'd be interested in learning once Episode III hits theaters. There's a whole slew of starship models that effectively disappear in the aftermath of the Clone Wars--it'd be interesting to find out which ones can still be found during the Rebellion Era.

Anyway, after the clone wars and the rise of the Emporer, everything went economical. There wasn't any nice chrome, sleek designs, just the most cheap and efficient. Just look at the TIE fighters.

To compete with the empire, other organizations couldn't afford creating and/or using luxury ships, there weren't enough conumers and the ships were too expensive. Bye bye Naboo design. So only the most efficient craft survived the rise of the Empire.

There might be a lot of atmosphere-capable ships adapted to space due to low cost

I think that's what happened to Z-95's.

Errin Orwain
16 April 2004, 11:33 AM
while atmosphere capable, the Z-95 has always been intended as a Starfighter. This is proven in one of the books in the Han Solo trilogy (Han Solo at Stars End, I think) when Han has to lead a small group of Headhunters (the original model) against CSA IRD fighters. It is clearly stated that the Z-95 is an outdated Starfighter, not a converted Atmosperic craft.

novastar
17 April 2004, 12:25 AM
An old WEG flavor text described them as an atmospheric fighter that was converted to starfighter duty, but no where else is it mentioned.

Though it bears mention that Han tells the Z-95 pilots to engage the IRD's in the atmosphere, since the Z-95's have a manueverability edge there... :hansolo:

Errin Orwain
17 April 2004, 06:24 PM
they do have an edge in the atmosphere, due to the fact that they were originally designed as planet based starfighters, ideal for dealing with dirtside and in-system raids by pirates. And while I like d6 about as much as d20, I would not take flavor text in an old WEG book to be cannon, a few things in both d6 and d20 games have turned out to be wrong before and likely will be again.

hisham
17 April 2004, 08:17 PM
Just in case it gets by anyone, V-wings are actually airspeeders, not to be used for spaceflight although they can be deployed from orbit via the large V-wing carriers. The carriers looks like a much larger V-wing that can carry 2 of the speeders under each wing.