PDA

View Full Version : NNtBS OOC thread: Take Duex

Pages : [1] 2 3

Donovan Morningfire
17 January 2004, 02:34 PM
Well, here's the new OOC thread ... and to start it off, a handy-dandy reference to the rules of the race, as well as the course.

Firstly, the rules, such as they are:

1) For your posts, you are limited to your character and any NPCs that are directly under your control. If you have any questions as to what NPCs are whose, ask. Myself or one of the other old-timers will be happy to answer. Most importantly, don't make any sort of attacks on other characters. You may reference them (such as seeing the pained expression on their faces as you leave them sucking your vapor trail), but nothing more than that, unless you've got an express okay from the other person.

2) Posting Order: Once everyone that is going to race has made their entry post, I'll randomly determine the initial posting order via the traditional gamer method of rolling a die. The posting orders will be posted in an In-Character post by myself as an OOC statement. (Confused yet? Good) After the initial posting order, further orders will be determined by the racer's posts, namely the humor value. The funnier the post, the higher your placement in the next posting order.

Please wait until the people before you have made their posts before making your own. Postiing out of order is frowned on.

3) Timeliness of Posts: From when I make the posting order known, the first person on that list has 14 days (2 weeks) to make their post. After that person has posted, the 2nd person has 14 days from that point to make their post, and so on.

If a poster misses the deadline (say, poster #3 hasn't made a post in the 14-day timeframe), then the next person in line can make their post. (In the above example, poster #4). The poster that missed their deadline can still post, and out of courtesy should wait until the others have made their posts, but otherwise once they have missed their deadline, they do not count in the current posting schedule.

If you are unable to post or are going ot be delayed for a major real-life reason (exams, heavy work load, family crisis), let me know either via e-mail or better yet, a Private Message. If duly notified, I won't hold the tardiness against you.

Okay, them's the rules, next post ... the race course.

Edit: Typo under rule #1 fixed. Coulda caused problems. Just one more case of my brain going faster than my fingers can type.

Edit Again: Extended the time deadline for getting posts in. Reasons can be found somewheres around post#190 to this thread.

Donovan Morningfire
17 January 2004, 02:35 PM
The Race will consist of 10 planetary stops, in order. These stops are ...

Stop 1) Bastion (the Imperial homeworld)
Objective: Grab a wingnut from a Super Star Destroyer (and the Jedi Fire doesn't count).

Stop 2) Ithor
Objective: Get a strip of bark from an Baffor Tree.

Stop 3) Corellia
Objective: Snag a bottle of Corellian Whiskey.

Stop 4) Endor
Objective: Survive a night camping in the area said to be haunted be the Bland Twitch Ewok.

Stop 5) Tatooine
Objective: Snag a Krayt Dragon Pearl

Stop 6) Ryloth
Objective: Get a holovid of a clan cheiftain's daughter doing an exotic dance :)

Stop 7) Dagobah
Objective: Snag a knick-knack from Yoda's hut.

Stop 8) Hapes
Objective: Get a holorecording of you and the Queen Mother. What goes in the holorecording I leave up to you.

Stop 9) Yavin IV
Objective: Get a holorecording of you and Kyp Durron. What you do to him is again, up to you.

Stop 10) Zaphod
Objective: Be announced the winner, and collect your prize as listed below ...

Grand Prize: The Ever-Full Mug of Lokar Punch (still unawarded after two prior races).

2nd Place: A one-week all-expenses paid trip for two people to the famous (or infamous) Rogue Moulin resort on the planet Zeltros (aka hedonism central)

3rd Place: A 1 year supply of Sparky! Cola. For those concerned, this is the non-diet version.

Boobie Prize (i.e. Last Place): A consolation kiss from Lina Inverse.

Vash Knives
17 January 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Donovan Morningfire
Most importantly, do make any sort of attacks on other characters. You mean we can attack our opponents?
Woe to those who face Vash!!!

...or did you mean DON'T attack?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 January 2004, 04:20 PM
Re-read the 1st post Vash... Donovan made a Slight Edit minutes after ya posted....

KnightStalker
17 January 2004, 04:24 PM
Hmmm, the planetary stops are giving me all sorts of ideas for Criss, Lynnori & Misfit's antics. :D

Vash Knives
17 January 2004, 04:27 PM
Same here-and so is life.

Vash Knives
17 January 2004, 04:43 PM
Stop 1) Bastion (the Imperial homeworld)
Objective: Grab a wingnut from a Super Star Destroyer (and the Jedi Fire doesn't count).
Could this come from a starship parts dealer there? Say, an Imperial Mopar?

KnightStalker
17 January 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Vash Knives

Could this come from a starship parts dealer there? Say, an Imperial Mopar?

I think he's implying the need to get onboard an SSD and swipe one from one of the ship's internal systems, not an easy task anyone could easily accomplish.

Vash Knives
18 January 2004, 04:09 AM
So what happened with the first two?

Slavan K. Guiser
18 January 2004, 06:30 PM
If I remember, they mainly just ran out of steam/had some plot changes in order to pick it back up. Back in the first one, wayyyyy back when, the GM control thing was still kinda being worked out, and there were some posting issues....However, I kinda left for a bit once it got started.......

However, I should be here for this race. ^_^ On to posting.

Vash Knives
20 January 2004, 03:06 PM
What kind of craft were you hoping to *acuire* for Compton to use anyway?

dragonseye
20 January 2004, 03:21 PM
Hey, just wanted to let all of you know I'm still alive and still planning to run in the race. I'll have my ready post asap (tomorrow I think is when it'll be done.)

Stop 8) Hapes Objective: Get a holorecording of you and the Queen Mother. What goes in the holorecording I leave up to you.

This'll be a fun one for me and Worm. :D Can'twait to get to it!

Slavan K. Guiser
20 January 2004, 03:49 PM
What is Compton going to *acquire*? Well, we'll have to wait until the next post to find out. Muwhahahahahahaha. Here's a hint: Omoeikani. ^_^

Good to hear you're still alive Dragonseye.

Edit: And posting quite hilariously. I've missed your happy brand of violence. Good good stuff. I laughed my ass off on that one. Which is a good thing, since I wanted to lose some weight........Anywhose, good luck on the Vespa, Compton's not so confident.

dragonseye
22 January 2004, 09:01 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure where it all came from-pent up insanity, or perhaps my being around my younger niece, the stone cold assasin. :D I swear that little two year old can put the fear of the elder gods into anyone. :P

There've been a lot of great posts lately from everyone, i'm just slow in saying so. I just hope we can get through the whole race this time. :D

And on a side note, Happy B-Day Malk. The hamster memory must of kicked in just around then. any ways, many happy belated b-day wishes to you.! :D

Lucein Solo
22 January 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Slavan K. Guiser
Good to hear you're still alive Dragonseye.
Like Dragonseye, I also am not dead yet. I still have tricks up my sleeves-all six of them.

KnightStalker
22 January 2004, 07:35 PM
Okay, I got my characters registered for the race, now to see how many people catch my Babylon 5 gimmick. :D

Slavan K. Guiser
22 January 2004, 07:53 PM
*Slavan raises his hand.* I don't! ^_^ Never had cable when it was on, so I never have really seen any of it. However, I have heard it's really good. Another good series that I need to get ahold of and watch.......

KnightStalker
22 January 2004, 07:56 PM
Hey Slavan, check your local video stores, IIRC the series is available on both VHS and DVD in it's full 5 season run. I just don't know if they've also released the Babylon 5 movies, but IIRC there was the pilot and 2 others prior to the B5 spinoff Crusade, then they did 2 more movies. Right now any other B5-related projects are in limbo, so there's no telling if we'll see anything else hit the little screen.

EDIT : Oops, had the name wrong, my bad. :P Excalibur was the ship from the Crusade series.

Vash Knives
24 January 2004, 12:48 PM
Right now I am preparing my first Post for the race-it should be good. Like many of my other posts, it uses elements from many sources in an attempt to be humorous-and will probably be one of my funniest yet-I hope.

Donovan Morningfire
25 January 2004, 09:31 AM
Nice use of Zathras there KnightStalker.

Ah yes, Babylon 5 ... one of the best sci-fi TV series to date. Though I must confess to being a big Marcus mark. Heck when I rolled up Donovan Morningfire for my first d20 Star Wars game, Marcus was one of the key inspirations, though I did initially include some of Lennier's humility.

I am a Ranger!
We walk the dark places no others will enter!
We stand at the bridge, none may pass!
We live for the One, we die for the One!

Anyrate, nice to see we've got several people lined up. I'm still waiting to see if a few other straglers are going to jump in. Also, I should in all fairness warn you guys that I might no be around as much as I'd like. Been having all sorts of computer problems of late, and getting to the boards is more a matter of squeezing what time I can in.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
26 January 2004, 12:02 AM
Sorry Donovan, i'll get my entry in soon! Been busy with a few other projects recently ;) (ok, my mojo asked to take a few days vacation... i said yes)

Yes Slaven... be disturbed.. very disturbed....veeery veeeery banana bo bana beerry disturbed!!!! Awe heck, who am i kidding? Ii hadnt even gotten to posting my signup yet :D

Slavan K. Guiser
26 January 2004, 12:46 PM
Disturbed? I am very disturbed anyway. Really disturbed. Comes mainly from being an artist. So tortured and disturbed. Anyway, just wondering, anyone in here play Magic: The Gathering? And if you do, did you get to a Pre-Release this weekend?

Vash Knives
26 January 2004, 02:51 PM
I do play Magic a bit, but I confess to not getting anything for a couple of years. Not to mention I watched Spaceballs yesterday and I just have one question about the race here-Does anybody mind if I use somebody else's character for three spoken words while all are stunned?

Vanger Chevane
27 January 2004, 03:17 PM
I do play Magic a bit, but I confess to not getting anything for a couple of years. Not to mention I watched Spaceballs yesterday and I just have one question about the race here-Does anybody mind if I use somebody else's character for three spoken words while all are stunned?

I would get permission directly from the player.

I had permission from Terras & Knightstalker before posting the "Sithwashing Liquid" incident, and had both check the post.

I dealt with any issues they had immediately, fortunately there weren't many.

Vash Knives
27 January 2004, 03:30 PM
So far my first race post includes:
-More Schwartz
-The "Can you hear me now?" twit
-Hanging up with a cell phone
-a motorcycle with an AI
-going through an Imp craft
-Vash taking out many TIEs while trying not to get shot
-Something called a hyper-road
-Vash dissapearing from Zaphod (that's where everybody's stunned and sombody has to say the line Where the frell did he go?)
-Vash slamming into an SSD
-more Spaceballs jokes
-Ludicious NOS (don't ask)
-the WIngnut

KnightStalker
27 January 2004, 04:52 PM
Um, Vash I may be wrong on this, but that's for Donovan to decide, but I think you jumped the gun with that last ingame post.

Allow me to post the following, just for clarification :

2) Posting Order: Once everyone that is going to race has made their entry post, I'll randomly determine the initial posting order via the traditional gamer method of rolling a die. The posting orders will be posted in an In-Character post by myself as an OOC statement. (Confused yet? Good) After the initial posting order, further orders will be determined by the racer's posts, namely the humor value. The funnier the post, the higher your placement in the next posting order.

As far as I can tell, Donovan hasn't posted the results of any die rolls regarding posting order yet, so I'm guessing he's still waiting for the rest of the entrants to get their posts in (like Terras, who still needs to post his entry).

Vash Knives
28 January 2004, 03:28 AM
All that was in my last ingame post, was Vash contiuing to prepare for the race after he registered in an earlier post-what could be wrong about preparing for the race? If I was jumping the gun, you would know-in fact Vash still has to put in the bottle of schwartz so that the schwartz works as the fuel for his pocket rocket.

dragonseye
30 January 2004, 09:42 AM
I hope all of you are staying warm- for those of us in the midwest area and all of the US. Tis deffinitely a day to stay curled under a blanket when it's a high of 0 F.

Slaven,

Nope, don't collect Magic cards. Actually, I don't get any CCG's now that Digimon is gone for the most part (yes, I like Digimon- they're just so cute... :P)

Although, if they ever bring the Berserk CCG overseas, I'll have to get some. And I might get the starter pack for Inuyasha.

Slavan K. Guiser
31 January 2004, 01:31 AM
Well, I'm managing to keep warm here in Idaho. We've been able to keep hitting above 30 degrees Fahrenheit consistently, however, the nearly 2 feet of snow we have (in a desert!) is going to kill me! However, the region needs it badly.......we've been in drought for something like 6 years now............200% of annual snowpack wouldn't hurt at all.......And some of us (when it does dip that cold) have to go to college and walk around the campus. >_<

Anyway, Compton's officially entered in the race, with the avatar of Eris in a fuming, jealous huff as well. ^_^ Fun Fun.

Ris
1 February 2004, 09:59 AM
Hello denizens of the NNTBS. I think some of you know me as 1 of Dono's pals & sometime co-conspirator in fanfic writing. He asked me to let you know that he is still having severe computer problems. He cannot access most webpages at the moment. He's not lacking in interest for the latest insanity around here--which looks to be a great deal of fun, btw.

Vash Knives
1 February 2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ris
Hello denizens of the NNTBS. I think some of you know me as 1 of Dono's pals & sometime co-conspirator in fanfic writing. He asked me to let you know that he is still having severe computer problems. He cannot access most webpages at the moment. He's not lacking in interest for the latest insanity around here--which looks to be a great deal of fun, btw.
Then come in and join us-an RPG can never have too much insanity!

dragonseye
3 February 2004, 07:48 AM
Yay!!! Snow!!! :P We finally got more than a dusting of the cold, white stuff. :D

Howdy, Ris. Nice seeing you again. I'm gonna try to get some pics of the snow- and our new place while I'm at it- for you and the sith twins. Though, I'm sure Don's been able to get you better pictures of snow. :)

Slaven,

Heh heh, yeah, she's not someone to see in a jealous rage. :)

Kanner Ra'an
3 February 2004, 12:03 PM
Yay!!! Snow!!! We finally got more than a dusting of the cold, white stuff.

You should come join me up here. I got to school walk in four feet of it today, at 36 below. Ah, proud to be Canadian.

Vanger Chevane
3 February 2004, 01:31 PM
Looks like today we should be getting the 3rd storm in 2 weeks here.

Snowpack's probly just above normal, which means yet another year of Stage II Drought unless it continues to dump rather regularly...

Vash Knives
3 February 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Kanner Ra'an
Ah, proud to be Canadian.
I hear yea, eh! *Starts drinking beer in his quincy, then notices everyone looking at him strangly...*We don't _all_ live in igloos!

Slavan K. Guiser
6 February 2004, 02:06 PM
Proud to be Canadian, huh? Guess a little Patriotism can't hurt, right? Can't say I've actually travelled much in Canada myself, but all the people I've known from there are pretty nice, albeit a bit strange sometimes. Must be something in the water. :P

Vash Knives
6 February 2004, 02:45 PM
Proud to be Canadian, huh? Guess a little Patriotism can't hurt, right? Can't say I've actually travelled much in Canada myself, but all the people I've known from there are pretty nice, albeit a bit strange sometimes. Must be something in the water. :P
It's in the beer-not as watered down as american pseudo-beer. Canadian beer is a bit more pure from a beer persective.

Slavan K. Guiser
10 February 2004, 04:59 PM
Heh. American "beer." Canadian "beer." There's only one good beer in this world, and that comes from Germany. Or maybe that's just my Bavarian heritage talking. ^_^ Wow.....it's been a while since somebody's posted......I would post again to bump, but I think somebody else should, neh?

Vash Knives
11 February 2004, 04:35 AM
True beer comes from Ireland and Canada-not many other places.

Donovan Morningfire
11 February 2004, 02:56 PM
First, sorry for the delayed absence. Aside from computer/Internet troubles, had some real-life stuff bogging me down. But at least the real-life stuff was fun stuff. Things like listening the FLCL soundtrack (very nice), and reading the Rurouni Kenshin manga. As well as getting reaquinted with an old favorite of mine, DC/Vertigo's Sandman.

Secondly, and most importantly, it's getting about time to actually start racing. As of this evening, here's the racers ...

- Vash Knives in a Viper Cyclone Rider
- Compton Rage (Slavan) in a ship that I remember the anime for but not the title
- Dragonseye with her Vespa
- John Solo in an unknown vessel
- Criss and Lynnori (KnightStalker) in the Misfit

If there is anyone else that plans on being in the race, make your entry posts before Wednesday the 18th, one week from today. On the 18th, I'll tally up the entrants, decide the posting order, and on Friday the 20th, we'll kick this shindig off.

For those of you who don't wanna join in the race, or missed the deadline, that doesn't mean you can't post. You can make posts as usual, just don't mess around too much with the racers.

And don't forget, the 20th is also the night of the Great Guiness Toast!

Vash Knives
11 February 2004, 03:09 PM
One. John Solo's " unknown vessel is his Speeder bike. As I have been talking to him often during highschool lunch, John will be wearing his stormtrooper armour for most of the race. The exceptions will be revealled as the race goes.
two. We must not forget forget Wompa's antics with his enclosed hoverboard-as he has a copy of the datacard:P

It is good to see you again on the boards and that Death is reading my mind, ( I hate when she does that) as I do have something quite...evil planned for during the race-It will be revealed on Tatooine.B)

Lokar
11 February 2004, 05:52 PM
Yes I return! I should have my post up this weekend if not sooner. So rejoice for the life of the party is back!

*Dons the lampshade.*

;) :D

Ris
13 February 2004, 11:38 AM
I've decided to join this insane crew! I'll leave everyone--except Dono--in suspense as to what kind of insane denizens I'm importing. HEHEHE

A little about me, for the terminally curious...
I was introduced (how long ago, is So Very Top Secret) to RPG's in a high school gifted ed class (yet more proof that the public school system has some glitches, eh?). I am married to a wonderful & annoying fellow RPGer whom I met in an AD&D game, & we have a small boy & a small girl, whom Donovan christened "The Sith Twins" * & who love SW. Two betta fish & a Lab-shepherd dog called "Muttly, aka Darth Stupid" are also squeezed into our (too) small house. I also run a tabletop d20 SW game. My other hobbies include music, reading, & Sf costuming. In fact, hubby & I belong to several SW costuming clubs. I think all this makes me insane enough for the NNTBS.

(*Dono & Dragonseye, you still owe them snow pictures, btw)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
13 February 2004, 06:33 PM
I must sadly anounce I must decline. I have my personal njo game on the fritz, requiring deal with 2 players.

I've got Co-Op GM duty with Vanger for coldskeir's Tetrad's Umbra: Rebels Group #2 to lead...

I'm playing in the same game with vanger as players in Rebel Group #1, GM'd by Korpil.

Theres ones other game i've got to give some serious consideration to in relation to priorities (bad situation when yer playing in one's game and the gm is the person you've an issue with as a player in yer own game)

But hey, I'll still post occasionaly, as a supporting bystander ofcourse :) cheering ya all on and thing mischevious and not so mischeivious :D (hmm, maybe theres a few things i could go over with Donovan later on as the race progresses )

I'll probably post a small ingame post on the subject and gracefully step down from contestantship ;)

Slavan K. Guiser
14 February 2004, 09:28 AM
Ris: Welcome aboard. Hope things work out in getting started in the NNTBS Bar. We're a bunch of weirdos (Donovan probably being the closest to normal among us), but we're always open to new members. Have fun and don't get scared off by Lokar too easily. :P

Terras: Sounds like a lot. Good to hear that you'll be staying around, even on the sidelines. Hope things get worked out for you in your other games and you can take a more full role in the NNTBS crew. Try not to trip as you step down, the first step's a doozy. ^_^

Ris
14 February 2004, 06:17 PM
Ris: Welcome aboard. Hope things work out in getting started in the NNTBS Bar. We're a bunch of weirdos (Donovan probably being the closest to normal among us), but we're always open to new members. Have fun and don't get scared off by Lokar too easily. :P

Thanks, Slavin. B) I have become quite good friends with Dono & Dragonseye & they seem quite the "kindred spirits" to me. Not sure if this means I should worry or all of you should worry. Probably both.8o

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 February 2004, 08:42 PM
Well, yours truly just posted... read it and weep, laugh, cry, and do it some more until yer bent outa shape stomach hurting sprawled out on the floor and ya still can't stop :D

I think that was one of my most tripped up posts yet :D Maybe I'll still keep in the race yet... only if ya all beg me to... ;)

KnightStalker
16 February 2004, 06:50 PM
ROFL! That was a good one, Terras, Now I'll have to crank out a 'counterpoint' to your 'point'. :P

Lokar
16 February 2004, 06:55 PM

HEY! I represent that remark! ;) :P *hugs his Excel Saga and Slayers DVDs*

Welcome aboard to the insanity Ris!

Vanger Chevane
17 February 2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Well, yours truly just posted... read it and weep, laugh, cry, and do it some more until yer bent outa shape stomach hurting sprawled out on the floor and ya still can't stop :D

I think that was one of my most tripped up posts yet :D Maybe I'll still keep in the race yet... only if ya all beg me to... ;)

Ya forgot part of yer crew buddy...had to post a weirdness-starter for ya. :P

dragonseye
17 February 2004, 08:25 AM
Ris,

Sorry about the lack of Snow pics- it melted on the same day I said I was going to take pics of it! Now there's just the sickly looking soot and mud covered snow leftovers. :(

they seem quite the "kindred spirits" to me. Not sure if this means I should worry or all of you should worry. Probably both.

I think it measn the world should worry... mwu ahahahahahahah :P

I can't wait for your post, Ris.

Terras ,

Ok, now that was one heck of wierd post! :D And, ugg did my stomache ache at the description of that drink- it'd be the death of me just to take a sip of that wierd concoction. 8o

Slavan K. Guiser
17 February 2004, 03:53 PM
CAFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w00ts to the mother fr34kin n00tches Terras. Loved the drink....Alcohol and Coffee and lots of other shiny happyiness for people all mixed together in one gigantic caffeinated beverage from Hell.......I LIKE IT!!! Stay in, it'll be cool. You just might get lapped easily. ^_~ Hope the drink doesn't affect your ability to pilot though..... Hmmmmm, need to make a new post......I have you to get the crew assembled and ready for the race......

KnightStalker
17 February 2004, 10:26 PM
ROFL! Good Lord of the Rings knockoff, there, Lokar, that one was priceless!

Slavan K. Guiser
17 February 2004, 10:44 PM
Are you some sort of Masochist, Lokar? It seems you like a little bit of pain in your life......Having a free Asuka roaming around and hooking up with Lina???? Odd. And creepy. Well it sounds like this'll be one frelluva interesting race.

Btw, total dibs on Aragorn. That's right, I'm the King o' Kings....

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 February 2004, 10:46 PM
Yep, I'll second that!!! That was frellin hilarious and ingenious!

Nice to see yer coming in for the race. It just wouldn't be NNTBS without ya! :D

One question though, in that lotr knockoff, was I wearing my not so infamous indy clone Fedora? :P :D

Lokar
17 February 2004, 11:03 PM
Well answer some quesion that have appeared I can answer them easily...

1.) Not odd. Lokar watched NGE when the first race took place. Lokar is watching Slayers: Next now. If we had a race last year I'd probably traveling with Hyatt (now that would be weird).

2.) Yeah I guess he was... later on he gained the nickname "pin cushion". ;) :D

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 February 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Lokar

2.) Yeah I guess he was... later on he gained the nickname "pin cushion". ;) :D [/B]

Cool! :D

Slavan K. Guiser
17 February 2004, 11:21 PM
True.....Hyatt-chan....that'd be interesting as well.....Nothing like having your assistant squirt blood violently and die on the way out......While I'm currently watching neither Eva nor Nadesico, I am hitting it hard with Gungrave and refreshing my Furry Curry needs.

Vash Knives
18 February 2004, 04:38 AM
Personnally i'm just satifying myself with SG-1-it fufills my lack of sanity.
Asuka, free8o-not good, very not good...
I have a strange feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg*looks down to see 1cm of ice above water-and miles below.

dragonseye
18 February 2004, 07:54 AM
Yet more messed up posts. :D

Ris,

Now the JEJ VO is going to have to meet up with the Narrators... the poor narrators, they're just not going to survive such an encounter though.

Vash Knives,

Yup, I've been watching SG-1 too. I'm really hoping they don't kill off SG-13 though; so far they're my favorite extra team. My hubby thinks they may be the ones who will be in the spin off series. I'm crossing my fingers that they are. :) Plus the leader of SG-13 is from Firefly

Ris
18 February 2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by dragonseye
Ris,
Now the JEJ VO is going to have to meet up with the Narrators... the poor narrators, they're just not going to survive such an encounter though.

Maybe we could have a lightsaber duel.:D

Vash Knives
18 February 2004, 10:06 AM
I suggest a narrator convention, interupted by massive blaster fire.

Donovan Morningfire
18 February 2004, 01:55 PM
Btw, total dibs on Aragorn. That's right, I'm the King o' Kings....
Sorry Slavan, but that role was claimed long before (notice that Donovan was the one with the stubble). And I've made quite a few subtle hints, and some hints not-so-subtle, to it throughout my posts. That's what happens when you show up late to the party; all the best dates have already been taken ;)

As it happens, Lokar and I cast most of the Fellowship a long while ago ...

Gandalf = Lokar the Paisley (master of the pointy hat trick)
Aragorn = Donogorn, Son of Donothorn (still not King)
Frodo = Asuka
Legolas = Young Wil (still the prettiest)
Elrond = Wil (The Ring cannot stay here, Mr. Anderson)
Merry and Pippen = Terras and Criss/KnightStalker (not necessarily in that order)
Sam = don't recall; guess it's still open
Boromir = Tenchi of Tenchi Muyo fame (just so he can die)
Faramir = vacant
Eowyn = either dragonseye or Ris
Arwen = Vixen/Misato; was cast back when they were Vixsato
Eomer = vacant
Gollum = vacant

BTW, for the inspiration for all that, look no further than here (http://ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/).

Donovan Morningfire
18 February 2004, 02:00 PM
Well, as of 5:58pm Eastern Standard Time, here's the list of racers ...

- Vash Knives in a Viper Cyclone Rider
- Compton Rage in a "commandeered" ship
- Dragonseye with her Vespa
- John Solo in a speeder bike
- Criss and Lynnori (KnightStalker) in the Misfit
- Lokar and Lina Inverse in (did they ever figure out their craft?)
- Ris and Dani in an old-school Aetherspryte (aka Jedi Starfighter)

I'll check first thing tomorrow morning to see if there's any more last-minute entrants, and then Friday afternoon we'll get the race started.

Lokar
18 February 2004, 02:10 PM
I'll be flying a K-1 Gunboat, same as the last race.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
18 February 2004, 03:23 PM
guess u can include me Dono!

i'll properly make one more post regarding signup :D be sure to check late wed night or early thurs or so, should be in then... :)

Slavan K. Guiser
18 February 2004, 07:40 PM
Gotcha, Dono. *Salutes* Holy Cow, somebody's totally forgetting the best dwarf out there.....Gimli. If it's not terribly minded, I'll take that position. Explanation? Those eyebrows.....and he's pretty hairy on the chin too. Go ahead and sign me up.......That, and I do rather enjoy playing with axes. "It still counts as one......."

dragonseye
19 February 2004, 09:06 AM
Ris can have Eowyn if she'd like that. :) And if it's ok, I'll take on Sam. He always was my favorite character in the books (plus creepy fact 101, my initials spell Sam backwards, and I use it as a name sometimes on-line to make it easy for me.)

Hmm, I think we're gonna need the bar running and serving food pretty soon too. Maybe I'll get my wierdo Patron #'s 69 and 2183 to do the cooking- sides which, they still need to find their steak, not to mention cure #69's strange attraction to cooking hardware.:P (And you guys thought I forgot about those two. :P)

KnightStalker
19 February 2004, 06:54 PM
Just so you guys know, I've managed to get my site completely restored now that my hosting provider has an all-new server OS running.

Images of my characters (Criss, Lynnori, Misfit, and the Starbound Misfit II, as well as Terras Jadeonar & Raven's characters (Terras, Nileeta, and Raven) can be found in the Character's Pictures section of the site, located here. (http://www.rt-ma.org/Pictures/pictures.htm) (Yes, they're the same pics that I have links to down below in my sig.) You'll notice almost all of the artwork in that section of the site has been provided to Terras and I from SWAG, but I also have the original artwork of Lynnori as penciled by SW RPG artist Joe Correney on there as well. Eventually as I get the game I normally run on there back up & running, I hope to obtain images of our player's characters to add into that portion of the site.

Ris
19 February 2004, 07:50 PM
Ris can have Eowyn if she'd like that. :) And if it's ok, I'll take on Sam. He always was my favorite character in the books (plus creepy fact 101, my initials spell Sam backwards, and I use it as a name sometimes on-line to make it easy for me.)
Oh thank, you, Dragonseye! How'd you know I'm so fond of Eowyn? So, Dono, you'd better cast someone really hunky as Faramir.

Hmm, I think we're gonna need the bar running and serving food pretty soon too. Maybe I'll get my wierdo Patron #'s 69 and 2183 to do the cooking- sides which, they still need to find their steak, not to mention cure #69's strange attraction to cooking hardware.:P (And you guys thought I forgot about those two. :P)
Well, Dani could try to cure 69. But "Patron's 69 & 2183" sounds pretty ominous to me--which means he might be busy curing everyone else. EEP! that'd make him late for the race!
Speaking of cures, Terras, if Nileeta needs a Healer, just ask.

KnightStalker
19 February 2004, 09:34 PM
Hey, Donovan, Lokar, I just had a crazy idea a moment ago. Regarding Lokar's LotR flashback/drunken hallucination/whatever, why not get someone at SWAG to take Donovan's fellowship list and whip out a picture depicting our characters in that scene of Lokar's, complete with Terras wearing his Indy Clone Fedora? :D

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 February 2004, 09:38 PM
Ok Ris, since you offered... :D

Lol KS! that'd be fun to see :D

Donovan Morningfire
20 February 2004, 01:47 PM
Hmm ... an art piece of the NNtBS crew as the Fellowship of the Mug, plus friends ... that would indeed be cool to see.

Terras, I for one am glad you decided to join this little shin-dig of ours. Should be entertaining at the very least.

BTW, did anyone catch the latest episode of Angel, titled "Smile Time"? I was laughing throughout most of the episode. I confess I haven't watched much of the series, other than a few reruns on one of the local stations, but seeing Puppet Angel was a riot, along with most of the dialogue. Let's just say I got some ideas for down the road for the bar after watching that episode :D

Needless to say, the time for entry has closed, and the race order has been determined ... now to post it.

Let Mortal Kombat ... oops! wrong line!

Let the No Need to Be Sober No Need For a Race Begin!!

KnightStalker
20 February 2004, 09:32 PM
HMMM, was just thinking about which SWAG artists would be most likely capable to achieve this. I know that Hisham, Korris, and BRodgers would be in the top 5 artists that could pull this off, but whether ot not they'd be available to do so would be another matter.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
21 February 2004, 09:19 AM
Bryan Davis is also good.... if anyone liked the female devaronian I requested drawn not too long ago ;)

Ris
21 February 2004, 01:33 PM
Ok Ris, since you offered... :D

If you want get with me via email--it's in the "How to contact" thread on "clutches." (I'm Zara, you know). I warn you Dantris is a Lando type flirt & looks a bit like Johnny Depp, so female patients love him. (I'll post a link to a pic later)

Ris
21 February 2004, 07:20 PM
Here is Dani (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=99182). The artist is JTessier of SWAG & the picture was done before they had their own site.
There are several pictures of Z'Rissa as a "flesh & blood" Jedi in the Online Journal, Vol. 2, issues 3 & 4 (the last 2). They accompany Donovan's Cadences fanfic. My favorite is the one in the Dramatis Personae section in issue 4. I wish there was a good picture of her in the Alderaanian formal wear in which she first appeared here--although Cadences has a great description.

Vash Knives
23 February 2004, 11:15 AM
Nice, I have the pole.*does dance of good qualifying.*

Donovan Morningfire
23 February 2004, 02:05 PM
Nice, I have the pole.*does dance of good qualifying.*
Well good for you ... now get off yer arse and post! :D :D

Ris
24 February 2004, 04:20 AM
Isn't there a time limit on getting your post up? I know there was one for entering & I was sure Dono had posted something about how long each person had to post for the race start. Musta' dropped into a @#$%^ blackhole. Lots of them around my place.

Vash Knives
24 February 2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Ris
Isn't there a time limit on getting your post up? I know there was one for entering & I was sure Dono had posted something about how long each person had to post for the race start. Musta' dropped into a @#$%^ blackhole. Lots of them around my place.
The limit is one week-I still have time to post, as it started the 20th-I have till the 27th. And people, be patient, I wasn't on the comp on the weekend.

Donovan Morningfire
24 February 2004, 03:27 PM

The limit is one week-I still have time to post, as it started the 20th-I have till the 27th. And people, be patient, I wasn't on the comp on the weekend.
I know it's a week (I should, since I came up with Da Rulez) .. I was only joking, hence the two big grin smilies.

Vanger Chevane
24 February 2004, 03:51 PM
Donovan?

And yer not even Ithorian...how does that work? :P

KnightStalker
24 February 2004, 04:04 PM
Donovan did it using a mirror. :D :P

KnightStalker
24 February 2004, 06:37 PM
Hey, Donovan, about the idea for a pic, I was talking to Vanger about what characters are still available, and we've got one that Sivar could stand in for-Smaug.

Just imagine the group leaning up against a fuzzy charcoal-gray with silver tiger-striped dragon with a felid-looking head. :D :P

Slavan K. Guiser
24 February 2004, 09:28 PM
Mirrors? Did he use some smoke as well? I would've thought a Jedi Mind Trick is more his style.....he's only making you believe he's grinning in stereo. Quite a complex feat, Donovan. Props to ya......Either that, or I'm really weak minded. :P

Ris
25 February 2004, 12:01 PM

I didn't intend to sound impatient, Vash. I was really just wanting to know the time limit, since I couldn't locate it in either OOC or IC thread.

KnightStalker
26 February 2004, 08:50 PM
I'll be making my post as soon as I can crank something out in Wordpad.

Slavan K. Guiser
26 February 2004, 09:02 PM
Hmmm.....well....looks like I should get started on looking at where to take my post......Mine'll go up as quickly as possible after Knightstalker's. :D :D :D Btw, just for y'all that're gonna lose to me, May the Force be with you. You'll need it! B) B) B) To the ship :xwing: Artoo!
:pitdroid: Uh-oh....this is gonna be one frelluva race!

KnightStalker
29 February 2004, 07:48 PM
You'll notice that from my last post, & over the next several posts on mine, an evolution of Misfit's character, which hasn't really been gone over in detail here in the NNTBS threads. To get a good idea of how his persona is, go here (http://www.scifi.com/tripping/) and check out the character bios for the robot Gus, and the ship AI Starship Bob, and imagine how these two would be if merged into one character. :P

Slavan K. Guiser
3 March 2004, 11:23 PM
Nothing like having the need to post, but having absolutely no inspiration whatsoever. Thankfully midterms are finished, and I might be able to recoup some losses in this post. Look forward to it later today, y'all.

Donovan Morningfire
4 March 2004, 04:39 PM
Nothing like having the need to post, but having absolutely no inspiration whatsoever. Thankfully midterms are finished, and I might be able to recoup some losses in this post. Look forward to it later today, y'all.

Don't fret too much Slavan ... you've got a couple days before your post is due (Saturday night to be precise). Plenty of time for some inspiration to spring up.

Slavan K. Guiser
7 March 2004, 02:39 PM
Well, not Saturday night, due to a failure of the holonet. Whahahaha. ph33r t3h p0st. Anyway.......Some inspiration. Not very good. Hopefully the creativity will flourish as my English class dies off later this semester. One would hope >_< Frellin' research papers.....

Donovan Morningfire
10 March 2004, 12:59 PM
Well, not Saturday night, due to a failure of the holonet. Whahahaha. ph33r t3h p0st. Anyway.......Some inspiration. Not very good. Hopefully the creativity will flourish as my English class dies off later this semester. One would hope >_< Frellin' research papers.....
Well, given the recent rash of outages, and the fact that i couldn't pull up the site until just a few minutes ago, I think I can let your lack of timeliness slide a little ... this time.:vader:

Slavan K. Guiser
10 March 2004, 03:47 PM
Aieeeee! What would make a good Jedi go bad? Posting late to the race, apparently. Yeah, kinda annoyed me. I had it all typed up on Saturday night, and went to post, but no! Oh well. It happens. I didn't think it would kill anyone to let it slide.

Slavan K. Guiser
12 March 2004, 09:01 AM
Usually don't double post like this, but it'd be good to get everyone to view the reply. Just wanted to give Ris a big shout-out:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Just to let you know!

Slavan

Donovan Morningfire
12 March 2004, 02:14 PM
That's right! How could I forget!

:D :D :D Happy Birthday Ris! :D :D :D

Ris
12 March 2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Slavan--and just when my hearing had recovered from that frelling ear infection.
And thanks to you too Donovan my sweet. I just got back from a lovely party with some very dear firends & am about to go sleep off an overdose of chocolate.

So now how close is it to my post time?

Donovan Morningfire
14 March 2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Ris
And thanks to you too Donovan my sweet. :o :o :o

So now how close is it to my post time?
Barring any major Holonet hiccups, Thursday night is the deadline.

dragonseye
15 March 2004, 08:29 AM
Gosh, first time I was behind on this. :o

Happy B day, Ris!!! :D

Slavan K. Guiser
16 March 2004, 08:42 PM
Bad Bad Dragonseye! Bad! No Spicy Curry for you! Bad Vespa Charioteer! Hey all, I've been craving some Sci-Fi something terrible this month, and I was wondering if any of you SF readers out there could recommend some of your favorites that I could possibly check out. Thanks all!

Vash Knives
17 March 2004, 03:16 AM
Anne Maccafrey's Dragondawn would be a good one for you to look into. It is sort of a sci-fi/Fantasy book and i highly recommend it.
And to the rest of you I say:HAPPY SAINT PADDY'S DAY!!!

Slavan K. Guiser
17 March 2004, 08:57 AM
Right on! *Chuggs down a Guiness* Although I like the Irish, I got to be fair to me roots. Hurrah for Scotland!!!!

But, yeah, Happy Day of St. Patrick fer all ye lads and lasses out thar!

dragonseye
17 March 2004, 09:34 AM
Arrggg!!! No more snow! :P First I want it, now it just won't go away (and only a few days till first day of spring too.)

Slaven,

Lets see, as to Sci Fi books: Ender's Game (and all related books) by Orson Scott Card, Foundation series, Otherland series by Tad Williams ( a mixture of Sci Fi and Fantasy,) anything Anne McCaffrey (Dragon Riders and Pegasus series are my favorites, but she has a bunch of other series too,) and 2001 and 2010 are classic Sci Fi books (didn't care much for the other two though.)

And to all:

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!!!

Vanger Chevane
17 March 2004, 02:57 PM
LOL Slavan.

I think you could claim to be Scots Irish for one day outta the year. :P

Ris
17 March 2004, 04:57 PM
All: Luck o' the Irish to ya'. Can I get some green bubly? B)

Dono: we were just chatting Monday night & you didn't remind me it was my turn to post8o Gee, you're really taking this Impartial Judge stuff seriously. So I guess I'll spend tomorrow's lunch break figuring out what the star-crossed Jedi lovers & their pit crew are doing...

Slavan,
another MacCaffrey series to try is the brainship books by her & several coauthors. (The Ship Who Sang, Partnership, The Ship Who Searched, the Ship Who Won & The City Who Fought), Sang is the first, & it & Searched are my faves.
Kathy Tyers: Crystal Witness & her Firebird series Firebird, Fusion Fire, Crown of Fire
Tanya Huff: Valor's Choice, Better Part of Valor
Margaret Ball's Mathemagics is mainly fantasy but good & lots of fun. And the chapter numbers are just a little different (square root of 4, pi--& it gets worse)
If you don't get enough insanity in this venue, Robert Aspirin has done a series spoofing military SF. Phule's Company is the first & best of them.
My hubby also reccomends David Weber's Honor Harrington series, Heinlein's Starship Troopers (plus his other older stuff) & anything by Andre Norton & Larry Niven.

Vash Knives
18 March 2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
I think you could claim to be Scots Irish for one day outta the year. :P
There's two kinds of people out there.
Those that are Irish and those that wish they were.
Me personnally I am of both Scottish and Irish desent, but that's just me and a few other things are in there.
*Goes back to warping kegs of bubbly with lokar.*

Ris
18 March 2004, 06:59 PM
Ok, my post is up. Next!

My hubby gave me lots of encouragement as I frantically keyboarded.

dragonseye
19 March 2004, 01:34 PM
Woot! Looks like it's my turn now. I have until Thursday, right? Now I just need to think of soemthing to write.

And for all of you lookign for a good anime series to watch, check out Last Exile. That is one very good series. :D So good infact that I might have to bring Al, Claus and Lavie into the game.

Ynnek Rellim
19 March 2004, 06:13 PM
Just in case any of you wondered, there is no need for specified "turns". Post whenever you want (without flooding of course). Sometimes players are away and to have to wait would really suck....

KnightStalker
19 March 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Ynnek Rellim
Just in case any of you wondered, there is no need for specified "turns". Post whenever you want (without flooding of course). Sometimes players are away and to have to wait would really suck....

No, Ynnek, you need to go back and reread Donovan's first post and pay closer attention to his "Chosen Rules", but I'll repeat the specific rule here (with the specifics in bold) for clarification.

There is a specific order for posting, but the order is up to Donovan based on the humor value of everyone's posts. If you wanna be able to post early on in each segment of the race, you gotta be funnier than everybody else.

Ynnek Rellim
20 March 2004, 08:01 AM
I apologize, but for some reason, I posted in the wrong thread... I haven't figured out why, that post was supposed to be in my OOC thread for the game I GM.

I apologize again....

Donovan Morningfire
20 March 2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Ynnek Rellim
I apologize, but for some reason, I posted in the wrong thread... I haven't figured out why, that post was supposed to be in my OOC thread for the game I GM.

I apologize again....
No sweat. I was kinda wondering why you'd posted in this OOC thread instead of one of the other ones, but I guess that explains it.

BTW, this is kinda a general heads-up to everyone participating in the race. When I do my summation post and put up the posting order for the next leg of the race, I might need to make use of some of your characters. Nothing major, just a sentence or three to kinda sum up the going-ons of the prior race leg. If you'd rather I not use your character(s), let me know so that I don't step on any toes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to batting practice ... using penguins as the ball :D

Slavan K. Guiser
20 March 2004, 10:48 AM
If any of you are wondering exactly what Donovan's talking about, check out this link for some fun! Penguin Batting (http://meph.eu.org/) Oh, and just for some competition's sake, see if you can beat my current records for a couple of things my friends and I have been competing upon.

Farthest: 593.4
Shortest Bunt: 148.6 <----Zeroes do not count!
Closest to 250 Pin: 249.7

Have fun!

Vash Knives
20 March 2004, 12:22 PM
Farthest: 593.4
farthest: 3000+
shortest: 36.7

Slavan K. Guiser
20 March 2004, 12:25 PM
I'm surprised........May I ask how you got those? I thought it was pretty hard to get those.....even with good timing. Did you skip it for the 3000+?

Vash Knives
20 March 2004, 12:35 PM
all in the arm. shoving a rocket up the penguin's arse helps too for range.

Slavan K. Guiser
21 March 2004, 03:26 PM
Ummmm.......yeah, that does work, but not for the game. It's easiest to achieve the higher numbers by skipping them actually. And usually, it's in the form for swinging, not the arm.

Donovan Morningfire
21 March 2004, 06:19 PM
[BFarthest: 593.4
Closest to 250 Pin: 249.7[/B]

Well, here's the best scores I've done/seen (using the Steroid/Drug-Enhanced version)
Farthest: 599.6 (just cannot seem to break the 600 mark)
Shortest Bunt: 43.3 (friend at work ... still cannot figure out how he did it, though I did get a pretty good snark in about him bragging about coming up short)
Closest to 250 pin: 247.1 (okay, you win on that one)

I thought the Rocket-up-the-Arse version was overkill, aside from the fact it takes about 20 minutes for the darn thing to stop bouncing.

Also, for the record, a co-worker found a version that was quite gory. To the point the field had landmines scattered about to add more bounce, the yeti's bat was replaced with a club that looks like it came straight out of Mortal Kombat, and that about all that went flying was the pengu's head (as that was all that was left). Don't have the link on hand, but I'm sure some of you more demented souls that want it can probably find it.

Slavan K. Guiser
21 March 2004, 06:32 PM
Nice Nice Nice............
Yeah, I can't seem to break that 600 barrier either. I've been slowly trying to find my sweet spot. I've figured some limits on it, namely that you'll end up planting in the snow over 350, but skipping under it. I think it you were to hit it exactly on the mark (or close thereto), you'd probably be able to break 600, but that's just a guess.

If you don't mind me asking, but what about the Rocket-propelled version? I have no idea how to do that one....is it in a downloadable version of the game? I just have the link above......

Oh, and here's another record for you:

Farthest Non-skipped: 491.5

Donovan Morningfire
22 March 2004, 05:33 PM
Actually, Slaven, the Rocket version of Pengu Smack is listed among the other two versions found at this website:

http://www.korenwolf.net/pingu/pingu.htm

As for the Rocket version, best score I got was 9926.4 (and took about 25 minutes for the darn thing to stop bouncing)

Vanger Chevane
22 March 2004, 05:51 PM
Since y'all wouldn't believe me without proof:

Ris
22 March 2004, 06:05 PM
Boys will be boys...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Vanger Chevane
22 March 2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ris
Boys will be boys...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, otherwise we'd be...girls.

:P

Slavan K. Guiser
22 March 2004, 09:29 PM
Ah......Yup. Boys will be boys. Girls can be boys too......^_^ I've known a few that aren't scared to get in on the male competition. A little bit embarassing, though, when one of your best female friends totally tops you in a public belching contest............:o :o

Vanger Chevane
23 March 2004, 03:26 PM
That's not bad Slavan.

It's when she wins the "Bored in the Middle of Nowhere, Sickest Thing You Can Describe Contest" that makes you wonder.

She managed to gross out <i>all</i> the guys.

Slavan K. Guiser
23 March 2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah.........that would be one for wondering. *Shudders just thinking about some of the things he's heard out of his own female friends.* I've heard some fairly nasty things as well.....usually from my more quiet, respectable person friends as well. Turns out that the quiet ones are always the weirdest ones......*Eyes the lately-silent Dragonseye.*

dragonseye
24 March 2004, 08:07 AM
Yeah.........that would be one for wondering. *Shudders just thinking about some of the things he's heard out of his own female friends.* I've heard some fairly nasty things as well.....usually from my more quiet, respectable person friends as well. Turns out that the quiet ones are always the weirdest ones......*Eyes the lately-silent Dragonseye.*

Hey, what's that suposed to mean. :P Just cause I've managed to gross my hubby, room mate (army vet no less) and our more macho game group members out on more than one occasion- the disturbing rammifiactions of wearing saran wrap and bondage gear was involved.... uhh, a... and sheep, but I won't go there. :raised: Not to mention out belched everyone in our game group... :D Uhh, I'm not helping my case am I? :P

Anyways, been trying to come up with a post... and have only now figured the basic plot of it out. I think I have anyways. I better get to posting, huh? don't wanna be late for this one. :D

dragonseye
25 March 2004, 10:18 AM
There you folks. A wholesome, non vilolent post. (Looks at everyone staring at her in disbelief.) Ok so, not so wholesome and extremely violent. :D I hope all of you enjoy.

Slavan K. Guiser
25 March 2004, 09:48 PM
Violins? Did you say extremely Violins? Is that some new performing group? Or am I just lost? Either way, your post contained absolutely no violins dragonseye. A bass, yes, but no violins. ^_^

Well, I'm sure I don't really want to know the entire story behind the saran wrap and the sheep. Sounds absolutely horrifying. Not nearly as horrifying as some of our posts have been, though......I doubt there's much scarier than Darth Sasamii......Ah, old times, old times.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
25 March 2004, 10:43 PM
w00t!!!!!! i'm back! Anyone miss me? (ehh, i think not but had to ask anyways :D )

To sum up the week's worth of awayness:
- apartment hallways being painted, several floors below and above
- took retreat to farm for the time being, no net access at farm...
- laptop hd crashing while at farm, no laptop to use, no possibilities of potential idea recording or developing
- rekindled an old flame from years ago...

Well, at least i'm back for the moment and possible for the next while... good thing i dont have to post yet... lesse that lineup again... Ris, dragonseye, Terras, Lokar....

Aww FRELL! and dragonseye posted ... so its my turn huh? Well then, somebody get me a kettle, 2L of water, and some earl grey! I reckon I better get the ol' kettle on the boil, make me a hot drink and make me some oatmeal! :p

I guess I best check the post date and try to get something before the due date... I don't reckin it be helping having rekindked an old flame and thinking anything but the nntbs race for the whole past week... :p

Slavan K. Guiser
25 March 2004, 10:47 PM
*Blink Blink*

Alllllriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty then.........

*Hands Terras the pot o'water and some chocolate covered java beans.*

Here's my suggestion. Screw the Earl Grey. Pop the beans, wash it down, and then prepare to go nuts for the next three hours without getting anything done!!!! ^_^ Always works for me....

dragonseye
26 March 2004, 09:11 AM
Well, I'm sure I don't really want to know the entire story behind the saran wrap and the sheep.

No, no, you deffinitely don't. That's what the game group gets when we challenge each other to gross all the others out.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven,

Hey, Terras. Welcome back. ^_^ Well, you have unti Thursday next week to get you post finished; so you might want to do it first before the weekend (prolly get lost with the old flame during then. ;) )

Vash Knives
28 March 2004, 11:41 AM
the disturbing rammifiactions of wearing saran wrap and bondage gear was involved.... uhh, a... and sheep,
must...not...ask...
And No I shall not ask-at this current moment-besides, I have my own stories of odd actions. one involving a Canadian beer, a Canadian friepit and a Canadian bladder.

Vanger Chevane
28 March 2004, 01:42 PM
I've fed Terras every weird idea I could think of trying to kickstart his Evil Imagination.

Now to wait & see if it works...;)

KnightStalker
28 March 2004, 01:55 PM
Well, knowing Terras, he'll end up posting something absolutely outlandish & hilarious, it's just a matter of time while we wait for him to get it typed up in Wordpad or Notepad, whichever utility it is that he uses.

Donovan Morningfire
28 March 2004, 05:25 PM
the disturbing rammifiactions of wearing saran wrap and bondage gear was involved.... uhh, a... and sheep, but I won't go there. :raised: Not to mention out belched everyone in our game group... :D Uhh, I'm not helping my case am I? :P
Hmph. Sounds like just another night at the Saturday night gaming table for me. Though I think you forgot the axle grease.

Then again, when a couple members of your gaming group could probably make the residents of Mad Mad House cringe with the stuff they think of ... things a just better left unsaid.

dragonseye
29 March 2004, 09:08 AM
Well Don, I think we could deffinitely scare the "scary" room mates of that show at our place on Friday nights. I mean, where else do you get to see a bear overly enjoying his doughnuts and a GM who thinks a giant man eating plant that releases it's waste in it's flowers (of course, we were walking over the flowers repeatedly before finding out what it was...) is amusing.

things a just better left unsaid.

Yes, deffiinitely. :D But it's always a lot of fun.

Slavan K. Guiser
30 March 2004, 05:28 PM
Heh......Giant man-eating plants. Those're always fun. However, walking over waste-relieving flowers........that's absolutely hilarious. Weirdest thing that's happened at our game night lately was the Sword in the Singularity Incident. Never let fusion reactors go critical around a mech that happens to have graviton generators in it...........

*Slavan stretches and yawns happily, dropping a large, paper object onto his computer desk.* Finally done with it. Stupid freakin' research papers. Hopefully I'll start showing up more in the OOC thread now....

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
30 March 2004, 07:14 PM
Heya... I'm totally swamped this week, and I ain't gonna make this week's deadline for thursday. Since yesterday til this sat, i'll hardly be at the apartment, or have time to write up a race post and paste it...

Could I step back 1 position in the line and let Lokar post ahead of me?

Thx!

Lokar
30 March 2004, 07:36 PM
Heya... I'm totally swamped this week, and I ain't gonna make this week's deadline for thursday. Since yesterday til this sat, i'll hardly be at the apartment, or have time to write up a race post and paste it...

Thx!

Yeah sure I can take you postion if Dono is cool with it. Can I get til Friday?

Donovan Morningfire
31 March 2004, 04:16 PM
Hey, I'm cool with it.

And Lokar, if you need a few extra days, you've got e'm. I gonna kinda treat this as Terras had made his post and you've now got your week to get your post together.

As for Terras, I can emphathize about the no-time thing, though for very different reasons. Mine have to do strictly with work. I just love how upper management botches a big project, and then expects us grunts to fix it so they can get their fat juicy bonuses. :rolleyes:

Slavan,
Congrats on finally getting those papers done. Hopefully you'll have time to invest some more insanity into your posts. (I recall from my own college days; those that weren't spent in a beer-induced haze, the sanity-inflicting torture of term papers.)

Flowers that spread pooh all over, eh? I'll have to make a note of that one ...

dragonseye
3 April 2004, 10:26 AM
Mwahahaha!!!!

I have a job starting next week! :D Doing sales for a Game Distro company in my area.

Don,

Flowers that spread pooh all over, eh? I'll have to make a note of that one

Well, the truly wierd thing about the plant was that it was the long lost lands of the Kang people in a 7th sea comapaign I played in.

Vash Knives
3 April 2004, 11:48 AM

Thx!
Let me guess, the gravatic knots in the repulsorlift destabilized causing an inability to lift off?

Slavan K. Guiser
7 April 2004, 08:34 PM
Dragonseye: That sounds like one frelluva sweet job. Anything involving Gaming has got to be good.

Donovan: Now, only if I can survive the next month until finals.......Don't you love when you get your second-to-last assignment, and then find out that you've got one more big one before you're finished? *Sigh* Power Point was created by Satan. >_<

Hmmmmm........So long before I can post again........Let's see, what's next up on the race...........Get writing it now, 'cause knowing my luck lately, it'll fall right during finals week.

Vash Knives
8 April 2004, 10:36 AM
*Sigh* Power Point was created by Satan. >_<
Not power point, Windows.

Donovan Morningfire
8 April 2004, 03:20 PM
Well, I hate to say this but ...

Lokar, you're week has all but passed. If you don't have a post up by the time I check tomorrow morning, then it passes to Terras.

This also kinda brings up an issue that I didn't really want to have to consider but ...

If a racer misses three consecutive posts, they are considered DQ'd from the race (they can still post as an observer).

I'm more than willing to cut folks a little slack, but I'm also not going to let the thread drift off into oblivion.

I don't mean to sound heavy-handed here, so if I do, I apologize.

dragonseye
8 April 2004, 07:10 PM
Slavan,

It hasn't been too bad. The only real problems I have is that they're using a comp system that's at least five or more years out of date and a sales program that is convoluted/ finicky/ can't stay up for more than two minutes at a time.

It's also not something that I want to do with the rest of my life- mostly just gonna stay there for work experience- soemthign that I seriously lack- and hopefully get into one of the hospitals or, as Ris pointed out, the eye banks. Preferably something within a lab setting that pays better (at least eight dollars an hour would be nice) and has better benefits like a 401k plan and decent health insurance.

The worst irony is that my hubby has Good Friday off, but I have to work. Thankfully, it's only for around five hours, but still really irritating when I was hoping to spend some quality time with my hubby on Friday.

Dono,

Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully, it won't be a problem for me, but who knows. depends on how much work I'm stuck with in the future.

Vash Knives
10 April 2004, 12:25 PM
If a racer misses three consecutive posts, they are considered DQ'd from the race (they can still post as an observer).
So the winner might as well be the only one to finish, the proverbial last man standing?

Donovan Morningfire
10 April 2004, 02:19 PM

So the winner might as well be the only one to finish, the proverbial last man standing?
Not necessarily. If enough people have dropped out, either due to time constraints or just lack of posting, then as has been done in the past, the race will be called off. Also, the winner won't be finally determined until after the last stretch, which is getting back to Zaphod. The prizes will be awarded after everyone in the race has made their posts for Stop #10.

Also, I did chat w/ Lokar for a bit last night. He got pretty caught up with his school work, and had forgotten to post.

Just to clarify, if there's an extraordinary circumstance and you doubt you'll be able to post within time, drop me a Private Message. If you're willing to work with me in that regard, I can be a little flexible in posting deadlines.

dragonseye
10 April 2004, 09:31 PM
Just wanted to say happy b day to Wil, where ever in the world he is.

And Happy Easter to all of you; hopefully each of you has been able to bite off a candy bunny head today. :P

Vash Knives
11 April 2004, 11:19 AM
*warps up a chocolate cabbit, then bites off the ears.*
Dragonseye, this is NNTBS!

Donovan Morningfire
12 April 2004, 02:12 PM
And Happy Easter to all of you; hopefully each of you has been able to bite off a candy bunny head today. :P

Ugh ... I forgot that eating an entire solid milk chocolate bunny isn't as easy when you're fast approaching thirty than it was when fast approaching 18.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I guess there is such a thing as too much candy.

I was gonna post this yesterday, but was too busy paying the taxman and editing Clone Wars to do so.

http://i.flowgo.com/greetings/rapeasterbunny/rapeasterbunny.swf

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
14 April 2004, 11:54 PM
*pulls himself hands and knees, as if from over the side of a clif edge hand by hand, sweat drenched, past exhaustion, * >whew< that was a busy easter weekend... 1 day to run for supples, 1 day for prepping the house, 1 day for company, 1 day for cleaning up... man, i am poooped!

hey, if i ever miss a deadline, don't even think twice (and don t look back) and go ahead of me or move past me... last few years have been anything but predictable, or predictably unpredictable as one might say (asuming if that makes any sense at all)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 April 2004, 06:19 PM
hold the phones! stop the presses! and don't let go of the monkey's tail! i'm posting i'm posting already :p well, its 1/2 done typed at this moment :D shall be posted tonight

[edit] several & many hours later....

Ok, so don't hold the monkey's tail. who's gonna find a monkey anyways? :P

Ahh well... finally posted at last.... take'r away Dono! :D

Vash Knives
18 April 2004, 10:37 AM
Just for frell's sake, I was thinking, when one imagines their NNTBS character, who do the characters sound like?
ex.
Vash=Bruce Willis

Slavan K. Guiser
19 April 2004, 01:55 PM
Hmmmmm.......If anybody famous, I'd probably say either Jeff Goldblum or the voice actor off of FLCL. Maybe a mix of the two. Which reminds me........Finally saw the last two episodes. Absolutely fricking crazy. Absolutely awesome.

After the first postings, I REMAIN TRIUMPHANT AT NUMBER THREE!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!! Let's see if I can keep it for the next few rounds. Mediocrity here I come!

Donovan Morningfire
19 April 2004, 03:04 PM
Okay folks, the next posting order is up. Not one of my better posts, but I've been kinda stressed the past few days.

Slavan,
And here I thought you had already seen the totality of FLCL. I was glad to finally find all three discs at one time of the local FYE stores, and whilest the place was having a discount sale on anime. Also picked up the complete Slayers season one on DVD (been too long since I've watched that wonderful collection of madness). And the Waldenbooks had the latest Rurouni Kenshin manga book (Volume 4! Yippee!)

Oh, as for actor/voice for Donovan ....

Actor: Tom Welling (Clark Kent on WB's Smallville), only with signficantly longer hair. Probably akin to what Viggo Mortensen had whilst portraying Aragorn. Just not as greasy looking.
Voice: The voice actor that does Kenshin on the Rurouni Kenshin anime (which I have not been able to find on DVD, much to my consternation)

Ris
19 April 2004, 06:09 PM
Healer Dantris (Dani) looks & sounds a lot like Pirates' Johnny Depp--and treats females very gallantly-- a lot like Billy Dee Williams as Lando. :lando:

Z'Rissa (only Dono & Dani are likely to get away with calling her Rissy) normally uses the same intonations as Leia in a snit--ie the "Get that walking carpet out of my way!" tones. :leia: Around Dono & Dani she sounds somewhat dreamy or besotted. As for the actress--I'll give Mr. D. Morningfire the honor of deciding that. (But I'm gonna be awful suspicious if you say she sounds like dear Chloe of the Wall of Wierd!)

And dear, Dono--Whaddya mean mean Jedi Dono doesn't sound like Tom Welling, too!?!?! 8o Oh well, as long as he looks like him...

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 April 2004, 08:59 PM
Hmmm, ok..

As for my namesake, if you can picture the younger Mel Gibson (lethal weapon esq) and a touch of James T Kirk's flair / essence, that'll get ya a fair semblance & voice...

Nileeta... she's a tough one. When I told Hisham to draw her, I asked for something exotic looking, leaving it up to Hisham while requesting Aqua skin & Peach eyes... I suppose I mentally picture her somewheres between Milla Jovovich and Wynona Rider, thats only my best guess at the moment. Anyone care to take a crack at better guessing her? :D

Raven... I asked Hisham to kinda go after that hot Russian babe in Austin Powers, Ivana Humpalot for her apearance. At most she's got a very light Russian accent in her rich voice... Not sure which actor would be the closest match... any takers? :D

My pics are at swag, in Hisham's gallery for whoever's not seen them yet. I posted a groupshot once before, be darned if i ould find it though :P

Malkarris
19 April 2004, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm back.

And who the heck is this guy?

Thanks for keeping Malk and T'real in the game even when I left. As for why I left, well, I pretty much got burned out on almost everything. Though that doesn't really excuse me leaving without a word. Sorry. But I am back, I intend to stay this time, and I do like what you did with the place. I see the race has started again. Very nice. Think I could slip into playing my characters for comic relief? Though Donovan, I am tempted to just leave them with you, since you're doing so well.

Actors? Well Malk is always under that mask, so who knows what he looks like. Could be anyone under there. I'd have to think about the voice though. Same with T'real.

Oh, yeah, small note, once again, it's time for Sakura-Con here in Seattle. I thought I remembered you saying that you were going this year Slavan. If you are, you're in luck, Fred Gallagher's going to be there again this year.

Anyway, hi to you all, again or for the first time, nice to see the bar is living on.

Slavan K. Guiser
19 April 2004, 10:50 PM
That's this weekend, isn't it? Damn if my scholarship money doesn't come in for another week. DANG IT!!!! >_< However, I've actually already managed to get a picture from him through various other sundry means. Some of which were of Light Side, many others which were Dark Side. Muwhahahaha. Although, I may be going to Seattle area for a job interview later this month. If all goes well. I'll know within a week or two.........

dragonseye
20 April 2004, 08:18 AM
Hmm, who would play my character if it was in real life... either Jackie Chan (hey, managed to pull Chun Li off, so why not Dragonseye :P ) or Joan Cusack (she has the right kind of destructive and wacky sense of humor that I admire.) :D

Slaven and Don,

(Huggles her boxed set of FLCL and Last Exile.) Yup, I went on a mad hunt for both the FLCL box and the Last Exile box. I also learned an important lesson from my mad hunts for these, don't depend on Amazon to get the shipment in.

Otherwise, lately for me, I've just been trying to catch up with the Inu Yasha manga (I'm really dreading trying to get caught up with the anime- I only have the first six and they've alreay released up to volume 17 of it.)

Try here (http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/8h6tSoqmTDaHkUSm7o/browse/item/60970/4/0/0) for the Kenshin DVD sets. They're pretty reasonably priced, and they will do sales off and on on thier DVD collections.

Also, didn't tell you two that I decided to leave my job. I was stuck working seven hour days without a single break (let alone a lunch break like I ws supposed to get according to the interview,) they constanly changed the start time for me when it was supposed to be nine in the morning (also changed the end time to six at night instead of 5:30,) and the last straw with it was when they told me I was't allowed to take a single sick day off ever (I was sick last Thursday and staid home; the next day they pull this bs meeting in which they told me I couldn't ever take a sick day even if I was seriously ill to the point of needing to go to the hospital. And to top it off, they accuse me of faking being sick- needless to say, I don't take kindly to people accusing me of being a liar.)

I'm planning on contacting Department of Labor and OSHA soon as I can (they're long distance numbers and we don't have long distance phone service) to make sure this gets stopped I just need to stop by my parents place to do it.

Malk,

Hey there. Nice to see you back and well. And don't worry, I went through the same burn out phase a little bit ago as well.

Don,

I have until next Monday night to post, right?

Slaven,

Good luck getting that interview. :)

Donovan Morningfire
20 April 2004, 03:48 PM
dragonseye,
Sorry to hear about your job going south like that. For what it's worth, I hope you can find something better soon. And yes, you've got until Monday night to make your post. Thanks for the site tip; I'll keep it mind once I've got some extra money saved up.

Slaven,
Good luck on the interview as well dude.

Malk,
Welcome back from parts unknown. Glad you didn't mind my borrowing your characters, though for the life of me I couldn't recall much details on the Bridge Bunnies other than there were five of them. As they're your characters, all means, post at will. And no worries about vanishing; I can understand the burnout issue all too well. Seems more than a few of the "old guard" are going through the same as well.

Malkarris
20 April 2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, good luck with the interview Slavan. Sorry you can't make the con, it was fun last year.

And sorry to hear about the job Dragonseye. Had a few like that. Hope you get something better.

I'll look around for some info on the bridge bunnies, and sneak in a post soonish. Probably miny commentary after each race post, if that would be okay Donovan?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
20 April 2004, 08:32 PM
Bridge Bunnies, as in the SDF-1's Bridge bunnies Sammie, Vanessa & Kim? :D

KnightStalker
20 April 2004, 09:07 PM
Actors representing our characters?

Well I guess you could put Jason Statham (The Transporter ) down as Criss Staven, for Lynnori, I think Terry Farrell'd wear the feline makeup & fur well. (drool) :P

Misfit would have to be voiced by Chris Moeller (who co-created Tripping the Rift and originally voiced Gus and portrayed him as somewhat ballsy, unlike the current gay-sounding incarnation on the Sci-Fi Channels series), and should be portrayed like the way Gus was originally depicted in the original 6 minute short, with a bit of the personality of the current series' Starship Bob thrown in for good measure.

I guess you can tell how I'm playing my characters from this post. :D :P

dragonseye
21 April 2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks Dono and Malk. :) It was a hard decision to make cause I didn't want to screw up my work history, but I just got fed up with it.

There's a few other sites I have with inexpensive DVD's- especially anime. I'll make a list of them and e-mail them out to you, Don.

Also, roger that with the post time limit.

Knight,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the online movie for Tripping the Rift. That was actually funny unlike most of the episodes on Sci Fi so far, and I liked Six's design a lot more.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
21 April 2004, 12:14 PM
I've got the original higher res version of the Tripping the Rift episode in mpeg format 30 - 45 mb's, uncensored... I've had it a few years now, grabbed it back when the original TtR site was up, first episode was free for download, and everyone was hyped about it and wondering when it was gonna become a mainstream serries...

Man, that sure brings back memories... I had dail-up then, broadband was noweheres in sight, and it took me all night to download :p

Though I'm still puzzled - the show is a Canadian production with CHUM FM & Spacecast / 'Space' Network (Canadian equivilant of Sci-Fi network) and it airs up here in canada 2 months later after the Sci-Fi network premiers it... Don't beleive me? watch for the logos & Quebec of Canada production thingies at the very end of the credits ;)

Slavan K. Guiser
21 April 2004, 10:08 PM
Why do I have this terrible feeling that I'm totally missing out on the fact that I haven't managed to see the original Trippin' the Rift? The TV series is fairly enjoyable, though. Have to agree there.

Dragonseye: That's too bad about the job. Hope things go something better. I hate it when employers blatantly lie about how the jobs going to be. Also, glad I'm not the only to have seen City Hunter. That is probably one of the FUNNIEST films I have ever seen. Watching Jackie Chan dress us like various Street Fighter II people was great..............Especially since he did Chun Li. :D :D :D

Donovan Morningfire
22 April 2004, 06:17 AM
Malk,
By all means feel free to do the play-by-play. And you more than welcome to use Donovan as well (if needed).

dragonseye,
Thanks, though I'm gonna have to wait a bit for my bank account to recover before I by any more DVDs.

As for Tripping the Rift the TV series, I haven't heard much on it myself, either good or bad. I do fondly remember the 6 minute short, though I was several years younger and more interested in Six than anything else. Though I did get a chuckle out of Daph Bobo.

Anyone know a decent site where I can download the original not-for-TV movie? If so, just PM me w/ the addy. Not too sure the mods will be too thrilled if the link is just posted, seeing as how there is material that isn't suitable for the younger crowd. Thnx

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
22 April 2004, 09:25 AM
Sure! willl do Dono! (pm, not link :P )

The original ep was 20min long or so... I think the 6min short was a preview of ep2 that never did see light of day?

[edit]
alright, anyone else who wants it, (the original rift episode + ep2 teaser) , just send me a p.m :)

Malkarris
22 April 2004, 03:13 PM
Hey, I did manage to find all I wrote about the bridge bunnies, and yes they are based on the three from Macross/Robotech and two more from Macross seven, but I don't know much about them.

A red headed human, one brown furred wookie, a light blue Twi'lek, a brown and very giggle Sluissi, and finally an orange Mon Cal. The Twi'lek's name was Li'nat, but that was it. What ever hair color the bridge bunnies from Macross were, that's the main color of the one here, but I forgot which was which.

Thanks Donovan, I see what I can cook up.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
22 April 2004, 06:11 PM
Macross 7? I didn't think there were any bridge bunnies in 7 ... just a group of musical pilots, with their veritechs litterally flying to their music (as they play it). It's been quite a while since I watched the serries though.

The music's pretty cool in Mac7 though, as was the serries once ya get used to the "Macross Musical" style of the show.

Sounds like an interesting NNTBS version you're talking about :D

dragonseye
26 April 2004, 12:41 PM
I just wanted to let you know Imay be a day or two late on my post. I've been looking for a new job over the past week now. No success yet, but I've got to write up a couple of cover letters- I'm horrible at writing bs and making it sound good so it's taking me forever to do so.

On top of that, my poor hubby broke another tooth today. So I'm a tad worried about that right now too.

I'll still try to get it done in time; I just wanted to give all of you heads up just incase I'm not.

BTW, Walking Tall is a good movie to see. I'm starting to really like the Rock's acting now.

Slavan K. Guiser
26 April 2004, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm......I'll have to keep a lookout for some time to go see it. I still have yet to manage to see something with the Rock in it, but I have heard his acting isn't all just action oriented. However, did manage to get a pretty good seat at Hellboy this past weekend. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. I honestly can't compare it to the comic book, as I haven't read it, but as far as general Illuminati/Technomancer-esque movies go, it was solid enjoyment. And the special effects (mainly the fire) were _very_ well done. Worth the 8 bucks I shelled out to see it.

Dragonseye: Good luck on job hunting. I'm still waiting to hear back on that possible job from Seattle. But now that I'm finished up in college for the semester, I'll have to start looking around the area for one. Oye, the terrible job-markets in rural areas. >_<

dragonseye
26 April 2004, 01:11 PM
Slaven, yeah, I hear you there. I live in a town of just over 6,000 right now and the city near by is almost exclusively dependant upon manufacturing (which of course has seen some of largest layoffs.) I'm trying to get into an office lab type position and will be apllying to a couple of the local colleges for such work as well as all the hospitals. Mostly, I'm just trying to avoid being stuck with a telemarketing position, but I gues beggers can't be choosers either.

Yup, saw Hellboy the opening weekend. It's fairly close to the comics (I'd suggest lookign into them too) and on its own, it's pretty good as well. It's one of my favorite comic book movies. :D

Donovan Morningfire
27 April 2004, 02:25 PM
I just wanted to let you know Imay be a day or two late on my post. I've been looking for a new job over the past week now. No success yet, but I've got to write up a couple of cover letters- I'm horrible at writing bs and making it sound good so it's taking me forever to do so.

On top of that, my poor hubby broke another tooth today. So I'm a tad worried about that right now too.

I'll still try to get it done in time; I just wanted to give all of you heads up just incase I'm not.
Hey, no big rush as far as I'm concerned. You've got a lot on your plate right now, and I can emphasize. So if your post is a bit late, again, no worries mate. *goes off in search of a can of Fosters, Australian for alcoholic*

dragonseye
28 April 2004, 07:22 AM
Alrighty, you guys might just want to skip over me for this week, seeing as how I have not been able to get anything done now.

So, we go to a dentist yesterday afternoon- hubby takes part of the day off even since it's a twenty-five minute drive to the place he was recomended by a co-worker. The guy spends not even twenty minutes with hubby and decides he wants to do a full mouth x-ray for $150 (not including any work done to the tooth itself or the dentist visits- and a full mouth x-ray is usually only around $50 here) on Thursday. (Not to mention the fact that we don't have dental insurance to cover that kind of overpriced dentist.) On top of that, they only shedual him an hour on Thursday, so most likely nothing would be done with the tooth itself. Needless to say, Hubby's going to a different dentist tonight to get it taken care of.:mad: So pretty much, I'm in not in a terribly good mood right now.

Otherwise, life's been ok for me. I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm most likely not going to be active for the rest of the week until my hubby's tooth is fixed.

Ris
29 April 2004, 03:04 PM
Dragonseye,
I hope Hubby has his tooth fixed by now. And or course that the job search is going well. If you need a hand with those letters, email me at the work addy. I'm usually good with those.
Rissy

Slavan K. Guiser
29 April 2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Dragonseye, hope your hubby gets that fixed. Tooth pain sucks ass. And overcharging Dentists only make it worse. Got recommended to an ortho once that wanted to charge me nearly double for the work that needed to be done. And wanted to go about the hard way to do it. Luckily, I managed to find a better one that was cheaper, and easier to do paying with. Stupid freakin' dentists....it's like they own the world, ja?

Well, good luck for your husband.

dragonseye
30 April 2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys. :) I'm much much happier now. We've found a good dentist, he's not badly priced, and they allow payments (thank the gods... I don't know why dentists think people can afford to pay a thousand dollars or more straight out when they don't have insurance... it's just insane.:rolleyes: ) sounds like we've finally found a family dentist though, which is the good thing. Now I jsut need to force the hubby to go and get his teeth cleaned and what not- he really hates dentists since the one he had as a kid that never used novicane when doing fillings and other dental work.

Anyways, hubby has to have a crown put in. Apparently, the tooth wouldn't of broken execept the idiot dentist he had as a teenager used an old fashion styled filling in which they drill pins into the tooth- it extremly weakens the tooth and on top of that, the idiot had drilled one pin almost right throught the nerve... So basically, the caps there to protect the tooth and to take care of the broken fillling as well. It's thankfully only gonna be around 500 or 600 dollars and should be taken care of within about two weeks. Hubby's getting fitted for the crown next friday, and when it arrives, they jsut have to put it on.

Ris,

Well, a moment of inspiration hit me and I got it done in half an hour. I think the biggest problem was that I was worried about my hubby and really pissed after that quack a couple days ago. I jsut couldn't think straight. :) But thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciated it. :)

Donovan Morningfire
30 April 2004, 05:10 PM
dragonseye,
I'm glad you and the hubby got the dentist situation sorted out. I can't fault your husband for his distrust of dentists. (Thankfully I have really strong teeth, and the one filling I do have is becuase a money-hungry dentist thought that I had a cavity when in truth what he saw was a shadow. Bastard.)

In General,
Okay, I bumped the IC thread back up to the front page, and it's KnightStalker's turn to post. You've got until nighttime of 5/8 to get your post in.

Slavan K. Guiser
1 May 2004, 03:25 PM
I hear yah about the dentists. Honestly, I wish I had such luck with teeth. Mine are fairly weak, mainly due to a milk allergy causing a calcium lack (not incredible, but enough to notice), and so I go in quite often. It doesn't hurt that I've got sensitive roots as well. >_< Even going to have cleaning is brutal. Dentists are possibly the most horrifying and invasive of all the medical professionists, except for possibly proctologists.

Ugh.........however, there are some dentists and orthodontists who believe in non-invasive practice. It's a lot nicer when you get pain-relievers in a non-painful way.

Anyway, just wondering, but has anyone else here watched Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem? If you haven't heard of it, I'm not surprised. What it is is the Daft Punk music videos that were aired on Cartoon Network about 2-3 years ago, except that the artist, Leiji Matsumoto, did it for the entire Daft Punk album. Combining wonderfully awesome techno with the beautiful artwork of the guy that brought us Harlock Saga......it's great. Try and get ahold of it if you can. It's interesting watching a nearly 70 minute music video. Kinda reminds me of Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

Malkarris
3 May 2004, 03:25 PM
I must have been really lucky about dentists, never had a problem with them. Well, not much, I still don't like going. But that good that everything turned out okay Dragonseye.

Never heard of it Slavan, but I'd like to see it. Daft Punk is pretty good, and I did like those Music Videos. It really has fives in place of the S's? I gotta agree with you about Harlock, some good stuff. I just had a chance to see Arcadia of my Youth this weekend. Not bad at all.

Hum, has anyone seen Gunslinger Girls? Weird, but interesting. How to discribe? Pre-teen bionic girls with guns about sums it up. You don't know if you should feel sorry for them, or be scared of them.

And I hope no one minds the post I put up. Just to keep the thread alive.

KnightStalker
3 May 2004, 05:22 PM
My turn to post, huh? Okay, I'll have to try and think something up, I've been so preoccupied with trying to go thru my mom's stuff after her passing away at the end of March that my creative streak's been really suffering.

Soon as I think something up and can get it typed up in Wordpad, I'll get it posted, but I don't know how long it'll be before an idea comes to mind.

dragonseye
4 May 2004, 07:26 AM
KnightStalker,

Aww, I didn't know. I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Take care of yourself.

Slaven,

Heard of it, but never saw it- not even those music videos you mentioned since we didn't get cable until about a year ago. Apparently, I missed out on a lot of cool stuff over those four or five years.

Malk,

Nope, haven't watched Gunslinger Girls either. I've contemplated getting the manga, but I'm still behind on the Inu Yasha ones plus picking up Blade of the Immortal and Berserk and Trigun and what ever else catches my fancy. And I won't even say how many DVD's I am behind with the various series I was trying to collect.

We did get Casshan this past weekend. Pretty interesting story wise and deffinitely makes me hope that the Casshern movie makes it over here.

Thankfully, I had a really good dentist as a kid. She's just near impossible to get an appointment with her now days and she doesn't take new patients. Now, orthodontists, I had a real psycho. Let's jsut put soem oragel stuff on your gums when we cut these giant chunks out of them. :rolleyes: Plus my bottom teesth went crooked almost immediately after he took the permanent retainer off, but yelled at me for not wearing my top retainer even though they never moved an inch. :P

Slavan K. Guiser
4 May 2004, 08:38 AM
Knightstalker: That's terrible to hear. I hope things work out for the better quickly. Losing a loved one is never very easy.

Malkarris: Yup, it does have all of the S's replaced by 5's. Weirdest title I've ever seen. However, it's a great movie. Try and get ahold of it wherever you can. As for Gunslinger Girls, I can't say I've seen it, but friends I've talked to and reviews say it's pretty decent, and a different take on the Girls with Guns idea. I think the main part of the anime/manga is to truly feel sorry for them, overall. At least according to friends. I'm kinda tempted to see if I can get some of it to watch/read.

Dragonseye: You truly did miss out. Try and find the Daft Punk videos on a file-sharing service. They're usually pretty popular and easy to get ahold of. As for not collecting up on series, I know the feeling. No matter how many I buy in a given month, I just can't seem to get ahead..........*Sigh*

Ris
4 May 2004, 09:00 AM
KnightStalker, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I know it hurt terribly when I lost my dad some years back. Take it easy and don't fret over the game unless you think it might help to write silly stuff.

KnightStalker
7 May 2004, 09:03 PM
Okay, my post is up, don't nobody hurt themselves while laughing. :P

Vash Knives
8 May 2004, 03:27 AM
*Looks at Knight with a completely straight face*
The reference to the laws of Robotics was cute, but nothing burst my gut.

Donovan Morningfire
8 May 2004, 09:01 AM
KnightStalker,
I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. I'd have said something sooner, but real life has kept me far too busy for my liking.

Rules of the Great Race Addendum:
Given how Darth Real Life has been making an utter nuisance of itself for all involved, I'm extending the posting deadline from here on out to two weeks. The one week limit was put into place because at the time everyone was posting on a fairly regular basis, but it seems the Ides of March are still creeping about. I'll also update the 1st post to reflect the above.

KnightStalker
8 May 2004, 10:30 AM
Well, Vash, that's likely because you don't have the same level of twisted & sophisticated sense of humor some of us have, I've previewed segments of the post to 2 people before posting it here, and they both got good laughs from the material.

BTW, now you know how I react to your humorless posts.

EDIT : I actually have far much better material available, but due to the TOS of this site, it's too mature & raw to use around here.

Ris
8 May 2004, 11:03 AM
KS--Loved Misfit's parting shot! And it got a laugh out of My Hubby.

Dono--Said hubby says you owe him a $5 royalty for using the "Darth Real Life." I'm sure it would be higher but you did send us that video Care Package :)
The Race Rules Update gets 2 thumbs up from me.

KnightStalker
8 May 2004, 01:05 PM
I almost forgot that I was gonna ask this....

Is anybody here gonna be attending the Anime Expo in Anaheim, California this year? There's a good possibility that I may be attending this year (after being badgered by several online friends to go one of these years), and if I do go, I know I'm gonna be encountering many of the people I know from the Robotech.com website, and I was curious if I'd possibly encounter any of my fellower Holonetters out there.

Donovan Morningfire
9 May 2004, 02:41 PM
KS-
For what it's worth, I got a good belly laugh out of Misfit's last line. And much as I would love to, sadly the only convention I'll be attending this year is Necronomicon down in Florida (the location of which just happens to coincide with where a couple of my favorite Jedi just happen to live).

Given all the anime references past and present (and hopefully future) that have occured in the history of the NNtBS threads, it certainly would be fitting if a bunch of us were to end up at an Anime-fest.

Ris-
Tell your hubby he can put the charge on my tab :P

Slavan K. Guiser
9 May 2004, 08:06 PM
Appeasement: The post was appealing to my humor circuits, meatbag. (OOC: No Offense intended, if you're ever played KotOR)

Addendum: Some of us don't follow the Laws of Robotics, meatbags......

Anyway, I'm cool with the 2 week deadline. Might stretch things out a bit longer, but it helps ease the pain and torment of posting.....or the pain of trying to fit it in in between that Real Life (TM). I'll be posting eventually, once I can think of another half to my post.

As for anime cons, I'm lucky if I can somehow defeat my college courses this summer. Going the final term in an attempt at scoring myself an Associate's Degree........

Donovan Morningfire
10 May 2004, 02:55 PM
You know, I've been pondering bringing HK-47 into the mix. I just love that psychotic droid, especially when it comes to his childlike glee when given the opportunity to kill/maim. Heck, might just do that with my next post.

Statement: Asimov was incorrect *opens fire with Barawigin Blaster Rifle/Cannon* Typical meatbag logic.

Query: Is it so wrong to love exterminating meatbags?

Supposition: I wonder what happens if I stuff the annoying meatbag in a crate filled with thermal detonators? (Scarily enough, had a guy in a game session ponder just that thing several years back. The two Jedi PCs stopped him, hence devising the monniker for Jedis that I've used for just as long ... Intergalatic Killjoys.)

Ris
13 May 2004, 10:41 AM
Hi All!
While I'm pretty sure it won't be my turn before I get back, I just wanted to let you know I would be incummunicado after tonight, until at least Monday. Partly for My Hubby's B-day tomorrow (shares it with Mr. Lucas) & partly for the kids we're going to Disney-MGM's Star Wars Weekends. We even get to march in the parade in costume!!

Dono-my-dear, somehow I cannot see your namesake, or his dear Master Quatre, as an "Intergalactic Killjoy." Mine might be characterized that way in a serious game--but not here. I guess Force-Spirithood has mellowed her.;)

Slavan K. Guiser
13 May 2004, 11:15 PM
Sadly, I wish I there was any cool Star Wars events in the area where I live. I'm jealous Ris, jealous. Green with envy. Or green with those twelve Jack-In-Box Tacos I just had around midnight. Not quite sure which. Either way, the envy is there.

However, post is up. Whomever is next, have fun! I know Compton hasn't. This'un's kinda long....(Whoa, is it grammatically possible to make an accented word like the one above? Two apostrophes? Does that even work?)

Donovan Morningfire
14 May 2004, 04:42 PM
Well, firstly Ris, I hope you can pass on a belated birthday greetings to the hubby.

Second, that's half the fun of the American language Slavan. We can make up nonsensical words that would send those who speak the Queen's English into grammatical fits :D

Vash Knives
15 May 2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by KnightStalker
BTW, now you know how I react to your humorless posts.
You have no sense of subtlety. there is much humor in my post-allow me to dissect it:
Mocking Star Trek amd Spaceballs in one move
Nailing a munchkin
more referencing to WoO
Verizon joke
unfair fight
and last but not least:
Stormtrooper Olympic Judges
And you say it was humorless.:P

Donovan Morningfire
16 May 2004, 03:17 PM
Vash,
Humor is a very subjective thing. While some might very well find your posts humourous, there are others that don't. (Though in all honesty, if the number of PMs I got from both posters and lurkers in regards to your first actual race post is any indication, the latter category would seem to vastly outnumber the former.)

And for the record, I think you should be the last person to blast anybody for a not being subtle.

KnightStalker,
I hope you're enjoying the Slayers series. One word. Koala :D

Ris
17 May 2004, 08:57 AM
Wow! The 4 of us had a great time at SW Weekend #1! And yes, Hubby & I both were in the Big Parade--on different days--portraying Jedi, of course. Can't say what it's like backstage at Disney--it's a secret, you know. But it was fun. We also spent one afternoon exploring Disney-MGM & the other in the Magic Kingdom. And while we were in MGM, My Hubby was asked several times if he was George Lucas!:D 8o
Well, I guess I need to plot--or is that allowed in NNTBS?--my next IC post. Guess I was wrong about returning before my turn. But I certainly am insane enough after this past weekend. Not only was I at "Dizzy World," I was in a hotel room with My Hubby, our Sith Twins (nickname courtesy of Dono), another Jedi, & a Stormtrooper crazy enough to think rooming with the 5 of us was a great idea.

Vanger Chevane
17 May 2004, 01:39 PM
Brings a totally new meaning to the term "Close Quarters Combat", does it? :P

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
17 May 2004, 01:46 PM
Insanity is good, specially when concerning the mindset for nntbs postings :D

Glad to hear you had a good time!

Vash Knives
22 May 2004, 03:46 AM
Indeed it is Terras.
And if anyone has complaints about my posts, they can pm me about it-and I have thoughts for almost all of my posts, and all i'm saying is there will be a reference to Independence Day (The Movie that is).

dragonseye
24 May 2004, 07:55 AM
Ris,

Glad to hear the Sith twins and all of you had fun there. :D Hopefully some day Ken and I will make it down to Florida too- I don't know when, but hopefully someday soon. :) Poor hubby had the drilling part of his cap done Friday- hubby discovered that novicane only works about twenty minutes on him, so he had to get about three or four injections before they were done. Now he just has to wait for the cap to come in and then get it switched out with the temp one he currently has in.

Everyone in general,

Well, so long as my Dad doesn't put me to work in his garrage too much over this weekend, I'll probably have more free time on me to finally make a post. Hubby is going to the Bullshooter again this year in Chicago, so if any of you play darts and are going to the competition this year, look for him on stage three.

Also, if any of you haven't seen Shrek 2, deffinitely make the time to go to that movie. it's just hilarious, especially Puss in Boots. :D

Malkarris
24 May 2004, 02:50 PM
Sounds like you had a fun time Ris. Maybe someday I'll managed to get down there myself. Probably not anytime soon though

dragonseye, pass on my sympathies to your husband. Sounds worse than Jabba's torture chamber. Seriously, hope everything goes smoothly from here.

Hum, good as the origional, would you say? Movie rip off's, double entendres, things that will make the kids wonder why the adults are laughing? Invistagate this, I should.

Donovan Morningfire
24 May 2004, 03:06 PM
I've heard some good things about Shrek 2 too. (Scary image, Shrek in a tutu.) Haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Right after picking up LotR: Return of the King on DVD tomorrow, and then Harry Potter 3 on Friday.

Heh, sound's like a good week to be a sci-fi/fantasy geek :D

Slavan K. Guiser
25 May 2004, 09:26 PM
*Yawns.* Wish I could get around to seeing Shrek 2. Darn early morning courses required for obtaining that degree....>_< Hopefully I'll have some relent from summer course homework that I'll be able to sneak out and snag a showing this week. If any indication from everyone I've talked to is correct, the movie is _very_ well worth the cost to see it.

Donovan: Every week's a good week to be a Sci-fi/fantasy geek. Some weeks are just much better than others. ^_^

Ris
26 May 2004, 03:42 PM
Dono, I hate to do this, but if no one has any objections, I may need a day or 2 extra on my post. The next 2 days at work are not gonna be conducive to a hilarious post. I am sorry. Rissy

Donovan Morningfire
26 May 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Ris
Dono, I hate to do this, but if no one has any objections, I may need a day or 2 extra on my post. The next 2 days at work are not gonna be conducive to a hilarious post. I am sorry. Rissy
I've personally got no problem with it.

KnightStalker
26 May 2004, 07:23 PM
KnightStalker,
I hope you're enjoying the Slayers series. One word. Koala

Hey Donovan, on the subject of Slayers, you wouldn't happen to have the D20 Slayers RPG book published by Guardians of Order?

I just barely stumbled across & bought this particular RPG book today. :D

Slavan K. Guiser
27 May 2004, 11:46 AM
BESM D20.......Ugh............The guys at GoO do really good work in their conversions to character stats, but I personally play the regular old D6 BESM system. Mmmmmmmm Tri-Stat.......

I've got no problem with that Ris.......I've already posted, and I'm easy. ^_^

KnightStalker
27 May 2004, 05:12 PM
Slavan, this isn't BESM in D20 format, the book is an all-D20 system (same D20 basic rules as the standard D20 D&D stuff) exclusively based on the Slayers animated TV series, so if it's not seen in the Slayers series, it's not in the book (sorry, Donovan, that means no stats on Naga, and no stats on Lina based on the OVAs & Movies that feature Naga).

In fact, the back cover states that it's compatible with other popular D20 system games, so some Slayers-to-SW D20 conversions wouldn't be entirely difficult to pull off. At the very bottom of the back cover it also says that it requires the use of the D&D 3rd Edition Core Books.

Slavan K. Guiser
27 May 2004, 09:08 PM
Ah.....umm.........Knightstalker, hate to tell you, but all supplements released from Guardians of Order on their Anime lines are BESM. And while, yes, it is d20 based, it's also a supplement to their general d20 BESM conversion. They're slowly going back through and doing it with all of their older ones as well. Oh, and if you don't believe me, go ahead and check this link:

Slayers for BESM D20 (http://www.guardiansorder.com/bookinfo.php?line=besm&id=17-001)

If you notice in the top-right corner, it seems to have that BESM D20 logo.....odd.

Anyway, that's actually the beauty of the D20 system....including D&D, SW, BESM D20, D20 Modern, and the Urban Arcana to name a few, is that they can all be pulled from and incoporated from one another. Technically anything produced with that little "d20" is compatible with any other element. So, in general the D20 elements can be mixed and matched with impunity. ^_^ The D20 system is almost as flexible as GURPS, with almost the range of differing pieces. Oh, and BESM D20 is the same basic D20 rules as DND.

Either way, I saw and used the BESM D20 a while back......I prefer the good ol' D6 version of it overall. However, the artwork in the D20 version is absolutely awesome.

dragonseye
28 May 2004, 06:47 AM
Knight and Slaven,

Yupppers, it is a conversion from their original Tri-Stat system. Personally, I didn't see BESM translate very well to the d20 system, but that might just be me. Prolly the best thing with BESM is that it's really inexpensive.

Slayers, as I recall, was originally published as a Tri-stat system book first and then was recently published for the d20 stuff (ditto with the Trigun book- though they combined the two sepperate books into one hard cover book.) The only one I saw that I don't think they did such a hot job with was the Dominion Tank Police book- they limited the heck out of it to where you couldn't do much with the game.

Ris,

Hope your day goes well. :)

Donovan Morningfire
28 May 2004, 02:32 PM
Funny, having both the BESM d20 book (neat, but could have been better) and the Slayers d20 book, the only thing these two have in common is the basic d20 mechanic. It's fair to say that Slayers d20 has a lot more in common with Dungeons&Dragons in the way the system works than it does with BESM d20. And nowheres on the book itself does Slayers d20 state an affiliation with the BESM d20 system other than they are both made by Guardians of Order.

While the BESM d20 book really didn't do much for me, though a part of it could be the overblown price tag, considering the low page count and that it was black and white. Even more so compared to the regular BESM rulebook, which was particulary meaty and was in color. The Slayers d20 book, on the other hand, is pretty darn good, and as faithful to the TV series (nothing about the movies, but since they belong to a different production company, that's kinda to be expected) as an RPG could expect to be.

The base classes and prestige classes fit the world setting quite well, and the handling of odd creature types (such as Zelgadis) is handled quite well through the use of templates.

The magic system has been completely turned on its ear, and the big spells (Dragon Slave, Rah Tilt, Ragna Blade) are as powerful as they should be, with the Giga Slave being a 55-gallon drum of whup@ss. The spell casting system is odd, but probably just takes some getting used to. (I'll let you know, since a friend and fellow Slayers fan is running a one-shot this Sunday.)

I guess my sole grip with Slayers d20 is the lack of an equipment section, but since I already have a D&D Player's Handbook, it's no big issue for me.

I wasn't too upset with the Dominion Tank Police sourcebook, considering all they had to work with really was a handful of episodes (couldn't included the newer series for legal reasons if I remember right, mostly having to do with a different anime production company owning the rights).

Ris
31 May 2004, 07:52 AM
Credit where it's due: My Hubby, for introducing me to Space Balls ages ago, making the "anchovy situation" remark every time there's a pizza order discussion, & for the "Under advisement" remark.

Donovan for playing nntbs-GM & ruling that yes a Force-ghost can drink Bubbly.

Please note that Alice's T-shirt is intended as unsubtle foreshadowing.

dragonseye
2 June 2004, 08:08 AM
Ok, so I was completely wrong about having more time this weekend. Hehe... I spent the entire time going through all of my stuff still at my parents' place and figuring out what I was gonna do with it. (Not to mention cleaning it all since it was in my parents' dusty basement.) I felt really sorry for the trash guys/ recycle guys this week- I threw out all sorts of stuff that I didn't need and for some reason had kept.

Great posts Ris and Slaven! :D

Slavan K. Guiser
2 June 2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks Dragonseye. ^_^ I must admit, and give credit where credit's due.

Myself: For being so humourous and full of humility.....

Oh wait......*Laughs.* Okay, maybe not giving credit where it's due. Glad to think it was a good post. It took me quite a while to figure out what to do with it. Darn Jedi Do-Gooders......^_^

Now, off to watch FLCL for Goodness!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
2 June 2004, 11:06 PM
Batters up I guess? I like mine on the golden crunchy side :D

I best get to work in the kitchen and cook up another batch of insanity, my own special recipe :D

*grabs "nerfherders can cook!" apron, rumages through the pantry and gets the auto-chef hotplate set to manual....*

Btw, nice posts people! :)

Slavan K. Guiser
3 June 2004, 08:11 AM
AHHHHH!!! Not the Autochef! Those things are possibly some of the most destructive and explosive items known to galactic kind. ^_^ Well, if used in the right hands. Muwhahahahah.......Getting an Autochef to overload is a wonderful way to get rid of annoying Moffs........

Well, back to my Psychology Homework. >_< I love training virtual rats to press a lever for food. Oh boy. Oh well, maybe I can train my Prof. to give me a good grade while I'm at it. Here's hoping.......

Terras: I expect a wonderful batch of Insanity to keep up the flow. ^_^ It should be fun. Ganbatte-ne!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
4 June 2004, 11:19 PM
Neeeeeeexxxxt!!!!!!! :D

Heheh... posted, and ontime too!!!

Donovan Morningfire
5 June 2004, 03:41 AM
Well, I seemingly vanish for a few days only to find Terras has a new post up. Very nice.

Saw Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkheban last night. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie to be sure, but I do have a few gripes. BTW, if you haven't read the books, there may be some spoilerish stuff ahead, but I'll do my best to avoid such.

My biggest compliant is that the movie seemed to move at a breakneck speed. While understandable for some parts, especially towards the end, the rest of the time it felt very jarring. The other was that while the key events/scenes were there, there was a lot of stuff that was dropped. I don't know if it was cut for time purposes and will (hopefully) show up as added scenes on the DVD, or if (hopefully not) was just never filmed. I would have liked to see the final Quidditch game of the school year, though that would have necessitated Harry getting his present from Sirius sooner than he did in the movie.

The acting was solid all-around, and Daniel Radcliffe is doing an increasingly better job of bringing Harry to life. No disrespect to the acter that has taken the role of Dumbledore, but for me whenever I picture the Hogwarts headmaster, it'll be Richard Harris behind those spectacles. Emma Thompson did a great job of showing Prof Trelawney as the ding-bat she is in the books. To bad there couldn't have been more of Alan Rickman's Snape, or a bit more of Gary Oldman's Sirius Black.

Overall, a good fun flick. And the end credits sequence was just neat to watch. Mischief managed :D

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 June 2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks Dono! :) Anyone happen to get the _____ _____ tune stuck in there heads yet? :D Five brownies or points to those who guess it :P

Hmm, I've yet to see anymore than the first Harry Potter movie...

Though this week i picked up Underworld - 2 disk extended, uncut, unrated 23min longer version... most definately enjoyed it, I think the extra 23min definately added to the show. Honestly i've only seen the first half of the original dvd release at a friend's house and I really couldn't tell where the extra parts were put in - the scenes were seamless...

I think I'll regard this edition of Underworld similar to Aliens 'extended edition' where the inclusion of several little scenes and tidbits really added to the movie rather than detract.

I've pretty much watched the features on the first disk, yet to tackle the 2nd disk once i get it back from a friend i lent it to.

Oh, and the case / cover is really nice on this edition, the case itself hs just a blue midnight and moon backdrop, while a clear plastic case / wrapper slides over it with the townscape & Kate print on it... Really looks fantastic for only $3 more than the original edition. Also, inside the case theres a mini 48 page inked comic book of the movie and a litle storyboard booklet as well...

I also picked up Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation, a couple days later... was a straight to dvd release, too mall of a budget for theatrical... I did visit the website a couple weeks before release and was all hyped up about its release... The premise was a group of troopers stuck in a bunker awaiting pickup, part action & part horror type film... Could be interesting I thought.

Only one person from the original cast of actors returned - the tough ship commander chic who got herself cut inhalf by the closing bulkhead door. She gets a different character role this time, tough as nails sargeant type...

As it turns out, alot of the movie was indoors, stuck in a bunker on a plant with lotsa bugs, things are going awry, and theres plenty of pent up testosterone while the bugs are kept outside via electric energyfield perimiter fence... Some parts were alright, and theres some scenes they could've left out imho (there was plenty boinking when they werent fighting the bugs, and there was only about 12 - 15 people in the bunker). Don't get me wrong - I don't mind the occasional scene but i think there were two or more too many for this type of movie (i kept hitting the 'next scene' button instead of fast forward by mistake), where it seemed to become the basis / reason for the movie's story... Oh and theres 2 new bugs now (you'll have to watch the movie to find out :P )

Hmm, checking the ST2:HotF site, (http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/starshiptroopers2heroofthefederation/) The Q&A section mentions Paul Verhoeven wanted to do another ST film, though I think some other dude made this movie... Nor did this film have that 'Paul Verhoeven' trademark riviting orchestral soundtrack that there is in most of his other films if you know what I mean (Starship stroopers, robocop 1,2,3, total recal).

There is one technical glitch or oversight in the movie - most dvd titles have the 2.0 & 5.1 audio tracks. Watching the dvd late at night with my Koss r/70 headphones, and the reciever switched back and forth between dolby pro logic and stero modes, the voices which uaually are in the center speaker track were very quiet... I'm asuuming either because I had a dolby pro-logic receiver or that i was using headphones, I had to enable subtitles to understand what they were all speaking... Durring the opening sequence i understood the voices were near muted due to the battlefield and budgets...

On the Q&A website they said they'll do a part 3 if theres a big enough hit on ST2... If they do the third movie the way they did this one, i'm skeptical as it is right now... Unless Paul Verhoeven takes back the reigns and does it...

Final verdict? I felt Underworld was the better buy of the two dvds i bought this week. Underworld was most thorougly enjoyable throuh and through, and the extras it came with for barely $3 (cdn) more than the original was excellent value. I think I would have prefered renting ST2 to buying it. It had a few highlights but felt lacking of the first movie (or could have been done better imho). If theres one line that was good in the show to define the whole plot line, it was that toigh as nails chick who said "No wonders we're losing this war. Everybody's too busy screwin when they should be fighting!"

Slavan K. Guiser
5 June 2004, 11:12 AM
*Slavan goes for those ever-delicious brownie points, which hopefully, can be used for ever-delicious brownies.*

I believe the tune would be the Theme from "Beverly Hillbillies," yes?

That's what I seem to read it like.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 June 2004, 11:24 AM
Close... but not quite :D Could almost work though :D You're definately in the right or close tv era though of shows ;) Btw, Beverly Hillbilies is a tad fast in tempo ;)

Ehh, ok, I made one slight goof-up, was a strumming guitar not a banjo... (was late at night when i finally finished and posted ok? :P )

Slavan K. Guiser
5 June 2004, 11:28 PM
Hrmmmm......Next guess is going to have to be "Secret Agent Man." And yes, I'm obsessive-compulsive about music.......^_^ I'll get it eventually. Or annoy everyone trying.

dragonseye
7 June 2004, 06:37 AM
Happy B-day Knightstalker! :D

Terras,

Well, I didn't watch much TV when I was a kid (and still don't besides the scinece channel and the cartoon channels) so I have absolutely no idea where the music came from. Nice post btw. :D

Dono,

Yup, I saw Prisoner of Azkheban as well. You can deffinitely tell that it's a different dirrector for this movie, but it realy fits the change in the books mood to the darker storyline. Personally, I never portray Dumbledore so well, but somehow they have managed to do so not just once, but twice (and hopefully no need for a third will arise.)

I will agree that it had a much faster pace. You couldn't even tell it was a two and a half hour movie it went by so quickly. But I'm rather glad of it since I found the third book to plod along a little too slowly in parts. They did change a great deal more in this book to movie rendition when comparing this adaptation to the first two books movies, but I don't think you reallly miss much in the process.

All in all, it's deffinitely a very good movie. :D

Slavan K. Guiser
7 June 2004, 07:02 AM
And a second from me as well, Knightstalker! May the day be long and filled with joyous bouts of insanity! If not, I hope at least some joyous bouts of happiness and gift-receiving. ^_^

Ris
7 June 2004, 09:27 AM
Yes, Happy B-day, KS--and many more!

The 4 of us spent the whole weekend at Disney-MGM for Star Wars Weekends again. What a wonderful time! My husband & I both marched in the parade with the Rebel Legion & 501st Legion, & our kids got to march in the Padawans on Parade unit one day & did the Jedi Academy Training the next, plus the Padawan's Mind Challenge (kids' SW trivia). Our son fought Vader & daughter fought Maul8o during the Academy training.
And I'm even fonder of "Luke Skywalker" (the park's cast member) than I was of the on-screen one as a teen. (And Dono's heard what a crush I had on him then!) He talked with us a number of times when he wasn't doing "photo ops" & so on. Plus, during the Cars & Stars motorcade parade, he saw my little family & made sure that "Leia" waved at our little Princess Leia.:)
Backstage before Sunday's parade was magical, too. Mr. Mike Quinn, who did Nien Nunb, was 1 of the SW actors there & he went over & greeted individually probably every one of the 90+ costumed 501st/Rebel members who were marching. And the handler for the radio-control Artoo was having a good time with us. "Artoo" would argue with our X-wing pilot & he responded to me kneeling down with my arms out in a "give me a hug" gesture--came right into my arms for a hug & kiss.

I guess it's clear I've OD'd on a mixture of pixie dust and the Force (Lightside)!

Donovan Morningfire
7 June 2004, 02:47 PM
Happy B-Day KnightStalker!

As for HP & PoA, I guess I'm one of those that didn't think this was the greatest movie of the three. I agree it was much darker, but that doesn't mean they had to fly through at an all-too-hectic pace. I think a lot of people that hadn't read the books might have gotten a bit lost, and there are some details that if you haven't read Book 3, you won't get. Like the signficance of Harry's Patronus or just who the esteemed Sirs Moony, Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail were. Though I do have to give kudos for having Harry humiliate the Slytherins and Hermoine showing a little bit of girl power. But for some reason, every time Ron said "brillant," I found myself expecting a badly animated Englishman to pop on screen with a Guiness in hand and shout "Brillant!" in return.

Note to self: Open Bar at a wedding reception with old friends does not a pleasant day after make :(

Lokar
7 June 2004, 02:53 PM
*pokes head back in.*

Sorry about the absence all, finials swamped me. I'm back, but not quite sure how old Lokar can fit into the current plot.

Slavan K. Guiser
7 June 2004, 04:48 PM
Hey Lokar! Nice to see you back. And when all fails, pick up where you last left off and try and get back on track with everyone else.

Ris: You must forgive me, but what exactly is this SW event? Sadly, I am not in the know....and do you have pics, or links to pics? It seems interesting......

KnightStalker
7 June 2004, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, it wasn't that great of a day for me, I had to work from 8 AM to 8:45 PM, and I got home from work covered with so much dust, dirt & grease that I not only had to jump in the shower, but I had to throw my work clothes in the wash as well. By the time I had all that done, it was so late in the evening that there was no point in worrying 'bout it being my B-Day.

So no presents, no party, and nothing going on at home for me, as far as I care, it was just another day. At my age, I don't care to celebrate my birthdays much, especially since I'm not in a relationship with anyone.

Ris
8 June 2004, 09:32 AM
Ris: You must forgive me, but what exactly is this SW event? Sadly, I am not in the know....and do you have pics, or links to pics? It seems interesting......

Star Wars Weekends is a special event that the Disney-MGM Studios attraction in Florida puts on (with Lucasfilm) on weekends from mid-May to mid-June. Year-round, the park features the SW-themed "Star Tours" ride & Tattooine Traders gift shop. During SWW, there are many extra SW activites, such as child & adult trivia competitions, celebrity appearances, a Jedi Academy for kids (a group of randomly-picked youngsters are taught a simple fight routine using the toy 'sabers, then individually get to "fight" either Maul or Vader).
And then there is that SW Parade, which features Jedi Mickey (yeah, I know, it sounds like something out of nntbs), costumed SW characters, "Padawans" (again, randomly-chosen kids), & the 2 celebs appearing that weekend. Also, starting last year, the 501st Legion, "Vader's Fist," which is the best-known SW Imperial/Villain costuming group, was invited to appear in the parades. This year, they were not only invited back--but the invitation was extended to their sister organization, the Rebel Legion, composed of SW Hero costumers--pilots, troopers, Jedi, The Heroes. My Hubby & I belong to both groups & this year were able to make it, wearing our Rebel Legion costumes. Below are a few links to pics that include us.

Endor Ris (http://www.primateprojections.com/SWWss04/pages/DSCN2278.html) (The Endor commando costume like Leia's)

Rebels & Jedi (http://www.primateprojections.com/SWWss04/pages/DSCN2158.html) (My Hubby is the Jedi with the grey robe & beard, who looks vaguely like George Lucas.)

Fla. 501st's SWW pics (http://www.fl501st.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=90) There are lots on here, & more being added so I cannot link to the individual images here. There are 1 or 2 with me inJedi garb with blue tabards & obi. (this is what Z'Rissa's Jedi garb looks like--just in case she ever appears in it in nntbs)
(Note: RL & 501st members are all portraying "generic" Jedi, Stormtroopers, pilots, etc. The name characters, plus Ewoks, flag bearers, Emperor's entourage, & Clone Troopers are Disney-MGM cast members)

Slavan K. Guiser
8 June 2004, 10:48 AM
Wow.....that's absolutely frickin' awesome. ^_^ That looks like it'd be an absolute blast to attend. And even more fun to participate in. Those costumes are _incredibly_ well done! I wish I had the time/money to do something like that.

Ris
8 June 2004, 05:44 PM
I'm glad you like them. :) Some are not very expensive or time-consuming to make. I'm hoping to have both TIE & X-wing costumes eventually, but the helmet & chestboxes take some time & money to do.

dragonseye
9 June 2004, 07:33 AM
Ris,

Looks like all of you had blast out there. :D Lucky little mini Sith Twins getting to fight Maul and Vader. B)

I just hope it doesn't get too hot for you in those costumes- as bad as it is up here, I can just imagine how hot it is down there.

In other events in IL, I got to watch people go canoeing in corn fields and horse pasture near by my place. :D Guess that's what we get for living close by to a flooded river. And for whatever reason, people decided to go fishing in these flooded parts with crossbows... :raised: My Dad said it's to catch carp, but it's still really blasted peculiar. :D

Ris
9 June 2004, 08:28 AM
Ris,

Looks like all of you had blast out there. :D Lucky little mini Sith Twins getting to fight Maul and Vader. B)

I just hope it doesn't get too hot for you in those costumes- as bad as it is up here, I can just imagine how hot it is down there.

In other events in IL, I got to watch people go canoeing in corn fields and horse pasture near by my place. :D Guess that's what we get for living close by to a flooded river. And for whatever reason, people decided to go fishing in these flooded parts with crossbows... :raised: My Dad said it's to catch carp, but it's still really blasted peculiar. :D

It only got into the low 90's, & humidity about as high. And it does get pretty warm in the costumes, alas. My commando one is stretch pants, a military tee, & the camo poncho--which is loose in the back--& I was soaked in sweat. And it's about the lightest of the SW costumes--except for bikini Leia. We get a lot of reminders before summer events--especially this one--to start pushing water & 1/2-strength Gatorade the day before.

Fishing with crossbows--they must have some of the same nuts down here. I've seen the gear in sporting goods stores. So it's flood season in IL? Or just some freaky weather? Our thunderstorn season just started. We lost power for about an hour last night in some nasty weather. We didn't get any of it thank goodness, but in the next county there was hail & a tornado.

dragonseye
10 June 2004, 08:28 AM
Ris,

Yikes, I would never be able to survive that. Give me a snowstorm any day over that heat and humidity. ;)

Well, we were behind on rain for a while and have only just now started to catch back up from the lack. This isn't the worst flooding that I remember, but it's a lot worse than we've had in quite a while. Plus, Wisconsin was getting hit pretty hard sas well, so the Rock river's been getting all of our rain on top of what they've been getting. It's finally going down some now, but it was pretty funny watching the people canoeing on the corn fields.

Yup, I know how that kind of weather goes. Two Sundays ago then entire area was hit by some really nasty thunderstorms. We got home from a movie and we could see these humongous supercells north and south of us with the tiny strip of sun above us. Wisconsin just a few miles from us got hit by multiple tornadoes that afternoon too. Goes to show how crazy the weather is.

BTW, everyone, I'm gonna be gone most of next week. Hubby's taking vacation that week plus our anniversary is the 19th, so we're going on a few mini trips that week in between family obligations for B-day parties and father's day. Sometiems I really wonder why we got married in June; we never get to do much cause of all the B-days and such....:P

Lokar,

Howdy... Hope school's going well for you. :D (And sorry I didn't say hi sooner, I was just completely stunned to see you there again. ;) )

Ris
10 June 2004, 12:56 PM
Happy Anniversary, Dragonseye! Missed telling you in person due to the power outage I mentioned in my email.

Donovan Morningfire
10 June 2004, 01:22 PM
Happy Anniversary from here as well, dragonseye! Enjoy your time together!

Slavan K. Guiser
10 June 2004, 09:32 PM
Yup, yup. Happy Anniversary Dragonseye. That's cool.

As for weather, those of us in dry Southern Idaho don't have to deal with floods, normally. Except when the Snake River floods, which is never good. Also don't have Tornados, or severe Thunderstorms. We just get _really_ dry heat, and absolutely terrible winter winds......Nothing a little bit of good clothing doesn't help. ^_^

dragonseye
11 June 2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone. :D I'm sure we'll have fun. At least so far, we're planning to go to the House on the Rock and probably into Chicago to Mitsuwa Marketplace. Not sure what else, except probbaly go see the new Jackie Chan movie.:D

Ris
11 June 2004, 08:23 AM
Dragonseye, I'm glad you & hubby are taking some time for yourselves. Yes it is hard with all the family things going on. Enjoy the coming week, and again Happy Anniversary.

Alas for me, or rather my hubby, things have gone downhill here. As a couple of you already know, my hubby is in the hospital & facing surgery in a few days. So I get to hold everything together for a week or 2. But we have a lot of moral support, so we'll make it.

Slavan K. Guiser
11 June 2004, 09:23 AM
Ganbatte-ne, Ris! I wish your husband well, and hope you've got the strength to keep everything running smoothly in between!

dragonseye
13 June 2004, 01:02 PM
Ris,

How's the Hubby doing? Hopefully better now since the last time I heard from you. :) And say Hi to him from us.

Bleh... So we've determined that whenever the hubby takes vacation time, something happens to the car- we blew a tire while on the way to my sister's b-day party and we also need to fix a sensor or somethng with the cooling fan on the engine now that may possibly affecting the transmission (not cooling the fluid properly since the fan doesn't kick on without ac or heat on.) also discovered a giant dry wall nail in another one of our tires. That or the transmission has nothing wrong cause we were having problems with the tires that made it seem that there was.

Oh well, hopefully, all will be fixed on Monday since everyplace is closed today.