PDA

View Full Version : So what's next for starwars-rpg.net...?

evan hansen
20 January 2004, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone --

I'm posting this poll in an effort to see what people really want/need out there that hasn't yet been provided. I may be posting a matching poll as well to see what people like about out site right now.

Last year, the two big agenda items were ressurecting the Journal and providing the Starwars-rpg.net Site Search. We accomplished both -- the Journal is amazing, I'm sure you'll all agree; the staff is quite talented and hard-working -- and we also added a couple of new hosted sites: Legacy of Strife and The Moonswing Chronciles, which had been homeless for a short time.

So anyhow -- what do you want next? What can we do?

BrianDavion
20 January 2004, 12:58 PM
I think what could be nifty is a net guide to charcter creation. not so much creating stats as designed a charcter with a back story etc

Korpil
20 January 2004, 01:02 PM
I think starwars-rpg.net is such a great resource!!!

I like the direction you have taken... I don't know what's next... I voted for the Community Member features... but hey, everything that you guys do... is created by such dedication that can't possibly be a bad thing...

Thanks for your time! :)

Dr_Worm
20 January 2004, 02:03 PM
I like the Geek-of-the-month idea. I think it would be fun.

Darth_Cassed
20 January 2004, 02:39 PM
Evan, it prolly would be better here if we allowed for the selection of multiple options in the poll. I know I want more than one thing there!

I agree that a Community Member feature would be cool, a glimpse into the people behind the name. I volunteer myself as the guinea pig and will give no serious answers :P . Seriously though, profiles on members is a good idea.

I also like the idea of an index of RPG stores and communities around the world.

scottyboy
21 January 2004, 05:06 AM
Well, I voted for more hosted sites because that is always a good thing. But I like all of them. I would be more than happy to volunteer to assist in any of those ventures.

Chris Curtis
21 January 2004, 06:51 AM
I've always believed that starwars-rpg.net would be the perfect place to have a "Gamer's Directory", for want of a better term. Basically, the middle option in the poll.

Anyone who ever stops by the Trader's InfoNet forum is well aware of the fact that people are always posting threads like "Any gamers in Tinytown, RI?" and other people are posting that they have openings on games (on- or off-line).

So, why not have a consolidated place where people could post an entry about themselves (where they live, what they play, online/offline, availability, etc.), game openings (on- and offline) could be posted, and anyone could search the database using whatever criteria they want. Looking for an offline, d20 game in Bigcity, IN that has openings? Just search for it.

The problem, of course, is that setting this up is not going to be easy at all. It's going to take a lot of effort and a lot of know-how, but I think the ultimate result would be incredibly useful to nearly everyone.

And, no, I'm not volunteering to do this! :D I have far too much on my plate already.

Nova Spice
21 January 2004, 04:06 PM
I'd like to see some more hosted sites. Cartographer's www.nav-computer.com is a fine candidate!

Chris Curtis
22 January 2004, 06:26 AM
BTW, I should have mentioned that I wouldn't mind seeing more Hosted Sites or interviews. I think both would be very cool and valuable. I just think a "gamer's directory" would bring yet another level of uniqueness and usefulness to starwars-rpg.net.

Nealos
24 February 2004, 10:12 AM
I just spoke with one of my developers who knows PHP and asked him about what it would take to create this. Though I don't know PHP myself (been a while since I've done ANY programming), I knew from experience in scoping development projects that this is pretty simple. He agreed and said he could crank it out at home in about 2 hours give or take a little.

So, here's the deal....

User comes to site and finds a form where they make selections from drop-down menus (ie. state, game system-weg or d6, etc.) and enter some free-form data (phone #, email, comments, etc.). User can also search based on drop down selections, but not free-word search (keyword search) - we'll have to add that later.

SO, without further ado, let's scope out what fields should be in the form and I can have my guy build it!

Talk to you soon,

scottyboy
24 February 2004, 10:36 AM
Well, obviously it should have the normal fields (i.e. name, location, etc...), but I also think that it should have, as Nealos said, a form for what games the person plays. However, I don't think that this field should be specific to SWRPG, I think it should have as many options as we can list off (i.e. D&D, Spycraft, Modern, Stargate, SWRPG-D20, SWRPG-D6... etc.). Sometimes, although their preferred game might be SWRPG, people may just want to find ANY type of RPGing. Know what I mean? So, I don't think that field should be non-SWRPG-specific.

I think each person should be able to put up to three different games that they play. That will broaden the search parameters considerably, but it will also make it more likely that a search will have some successful results. Plus if we advertise it well enough it may get some use from people who have never played SWRPG before... which means they would have to visit a SWRPG site in order to use it... which means they'll see all the cool things that SWRPG has to offer... which means they may want to start playing SWRPG... which means there may be a few new members to our hallowed little community here... :)

Anyways, I have to work now, so I'll stop all my "which means" before I get fired... :)

Nealos
24 February 2004, 02:53 PM
I think it would be a great idea to have a player/gm database that includes more than SWRPG. However, I'm concerned about expanding the scope of that feature and it being a departure from keeing it pure SWRPG. I think if we constrain it to being purely SWRPG data and let the users contact and ask each other about other gaming systems or activities, that would be a smart separation.

Another problem is our technological constraints. The first version we build is not going to have a keyword search. Instead, the search will be done by the user selecting options to get results (ie. select "michigan" to see how many people are gaming in michigan OR select "michigan" and "GM" to see how many GMs there are in Michigan). The problem comes in where we would have to add every gaming system on the planet and allow for multiple selections of the systems - this increases our complexity.

Interestingly enough, I thought of another problem to solve. It would be definelty ideal to allow those who enter their information the ability to update it, or else the weight of changes would be on the administrators (not gonna happen!). Thus, we'd need to build a edit tool, which in turn would require a registration module.

Looks like we're moving toward a "registration" model for Starwars-rpg.net, not unlike the Holonet in some respects.

Thoughts? I'll find out what it will take to build all of that for my developers. We might need to pony up some cash to them since they're doing it in their off time and I'm sure their benevolence only goes so far. :)

More later,

scottyboy
25 February 2004, 06:19 AM
I can certainly understand what you're saying Nealos! I was thinking about it after I posted yesterday and it does seem like a better idea to keep it SWRPG specific. However, I don't want to throw this idea out altogether so I thought of another idea to make it both easier and it gets around the problem you spoke of... We can just put a question on there that asks "Are you willing to play other gaming systems?" It would just have to have a Yes or No checkbox or dropdown menu, whichever you choose. That would allow for the option of finding players for other gaming systems without taking away the SWRPG "feel" of the search engine, if that makes any sense.

I also like the idea of a registration model. We could incorporate the "subcription" option for the OJ in that registration model. That would make things a little easier on that end of the site as well. And if we go with the registration model, in the user profile we can provide a box for people to indicate what gaming systems they play.

My thinking on this is pretty simple... Joe Schmoe (who is a regular SWRPG player but wants a little variety in his gaming) wants to run a search for people who play Spycraft... he goes to the site and runs a search for players in his area... for each entry that comes up that says Yes to the question "Are you williing to play other gaming systems?", Mr. Schmoe has the option of checking those user profiles until he finds someone in his area that plays Spycraft...

Haven't heard anything from Evan on this one yet... Maybe he has some ideas???

Nealos
25 February 2004, 02:24 PM
ScottyBoy,

Your idea about adding a selection for "Are you willing to play other gaming systems?" is a good one. Let's do it.

The registration piece adds some level of complexity because ideally we should be building a central database that governs both registrations AND the player search facility.

I'm going to start a new thread to take this conversation out of here. It's a good one, but I think it might be best to separate it from this thread, which is asking a more general question.

See you in the next thread! Everyone, please chip in the new thread if you have ideas on how to evolve the registration piece.

I wonder where Evan is...?