PDA

View Full Version : Yoda Novel!

MikeLynch
5 February 2004, 09:31 AM
Shweet -- SW.com has a new item about a novel focusing on Yoda. I can't wait! Maybe we'll finally get a name for his frickin' species. :D

Armadious
5 February 2004, 10:50 AM
I was actualy less then pleased when I read about this. I was actualy rather looking forward to the cancled Escape from Dagu book - a rare thing for me concidering what Del Rey has been doing to Star Wars since it regained the rights to publish. I remember that the characters that Dagu was to focus on not only interested me but I was also interested in learning their background.

That being said there is another reason; I have always enjoyed the unknown quality of Yoda from EP 5 and 6. The tidbits we gained from EP 1 and 2 maintained at least some of that mystery. To have a entire book about yoda wold require that some of that history is talked about and that some of that mystery is solved. Personaly I do not want that.

Besides I do not know if I can stomach an entire book of Yoda talk. (Though I guess it is better then an entire book of Jar-Jar talk...)

Nova Spice
5 February 2004, 01:34 PM
To have a entire book about yoda wold require that some of that history is talked about and that some of that mystery is solved. Personaly I do not want that.

I disagree Armadious. A novel on Yoda wouldn't automatically require his background info to be fleshed out. In fact, from the way I see it, a novel about Yoda, particularly one that covers his actions in the Clone Wars, is something that I feel is sorely needed in the EU.

I look forward to this book. Hopefully the Clone Wars Series will shape up to be as entertaining as the New Jedi Order, and I think this novel will certainly help. ;)

Dr_Worm
5 February 2004, 02:24 PM
I would not worry too much about them fleshing out his past, lucas has held on to the mystery of Yoda too long to let it out now. Be that as it may, I think that little muppet's dialect would really get on my nerves ater too long. I doubt I will read this one.

Tinsel
5 February 2004, 08:33 PM
how about how yoda taught count doku the ways of the force? that might be intresting to read.

johnnyputrid
6 February 2004, 05:53 AM
Personally, I can't wait for this book.

Has anyone ever noticed that in the movies, Yoda does his backwards-talking thing for only about HALF of his lines, but in the novels ALL of them are written that way. If the author follows the latter approach, this may be a very irritating read.

Faraer
6 February 2004, 07:42 AM
One of the great innovations of Star Wars is the idea of an institution of heroes. Every one of them undergoes the journey, and in time fulfills roles of learner, hero, and mentor. Making mentors protagonists is usually an error, but all Jedi are heroes and teachers both.

Yoda, in the movie timeframe, is a mentor. Hence the emotional impact of seeing him as a general, taking up arms as he hoped he would never again have to do. The Clone Wars are Yoda's last burst of protagonism before adopting the mentor role permanently, and I don't think it's necessarily wrong to show this in a novel, though I'm usually sensitive to the need to not demystify.

I dare say this book will reveal bits of Yoda's past but not most -- less proportionally than Shatterpoint does with Mace Windu. Sean Stewart is a very accomplished author; though any Yoda novel would ideally be (co-)written by the great Frank Oz, who has actually developed Yoda backstory for his own use as an actor.

Yoda and Yaddle are the ones who talk properly. Everyone else speaks ghastly modern dialect.

Darth_Cassed
6 February 2004, 08:49 AM
A kind of spoiler, though not any specific information:

From what I know about this book, it has something to do with a proposed surrender from Dooku and Yoda going to investigate.

I don't think Yoda's past will be revealed from what the plot line looks like, though it could come up.

For those of you who say Lucas wouldn't reveal the mystery of Yoda, he did reveal the mystery on Jango Fett, Boba Fett, and did major plot twists with such deaths as Chewie and Anakin Solo. While I don't think any revealing of Yoda will happen, keep that in mind ;) .

Errin Orwain
6 February 2004, 03:56 PM
I will definately read this. and I seriously doubt that the name; or nature of Yodas' race will be revealed.

Hard to keep, a secret is. But not that hard.:yoda:

Jedi Master Talon
13 February 2004, 08:57 AM
I think that is sweet. I hope it answers a lot of questions about Yoda and his species. That is something worth looking foward to. I can't wait.

stoic_75
16 February 2004, 08:57 AM
I heard that in the first novel Yoda has a twin sister and they solve mysteries together.

mojo1701
16 February 2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed

I don't think Yoda's past will be revealed from what the plot line looks like, though it could come up.

For those of you who say Lucas wouldn't reveal the mystery of Yoda, he did reveal the mystery on Jango Fett, Boba Fett, and did major plot twists with such deaths as Chewie and Anakin Solo. While I don't think any revealing of Yoda will happen, keep that in mind ;) .

Yeah, but that was Boba Fett, and he doesn't have the long life that Yoda has. Since Yoda's life was longer, there's more mystery. Boba had to be explained: just like Mara Jade in the Thrawn Trilogy.

Calanthe
21 February 2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
Has anyone ever noticed that in the movies, Yoda does his backwards-talking thing for only about HALF of his lines, but in the novels ALL of them are written that way.

Hmm... Maybe the recent novels, but definitely not the novelization of Ep V. I just finished reading the OT Omnibus, and was surprised by how "normal" many of Yoda's lines were... not to mention that he was <b>blue</b>! :)

The Ep IV novelization was especially interesting. Lots of nice tidbits, like the statement that there were several Lords of the Sith running around and the inference that the Emporer was a puppet ruler that got in over his head!