PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS - It's Official.....

Treefrog
15 February 2004, 06:33 AM
I was checking my email this morning, and I received an email from Star Wars.com Homing Beacon. This is what it had to say:

"The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory."

Isn't this Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nova Spice
15 February 2004, 09:40 AM
I read this article too. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with joy! :D

cheshire
15 February 2004, 11:28 AM
Okay... pardon my probably way too concerned attitude, but will we have deleted scenes? You would think so with they way they're talking... but they never said so. I'd also like to see every trailer ever put out, but that was well established by the Indy Trilogy DVD set.

mojo1701
16 February 2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by cheshire

Okay... pardon my probably way too concerned attitude, but will we have deleted scenes? You would think so with they way they're talking... but they never said so. I'd also like to see every trailer ever put out, but that was well established by the Indy Trilogy DVD set.

I doubt it.

Bigity_B
17 February 2004, 06:19 AM
Original or Special Edition?

mojo1701
17 February 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Bigity_B

Original or Special Edition?

It's definitely SE. In fact, GL himself has said that he will never release the Original ever again

Nova Spice
30 March 2004, 11:18 AM
It's definitely SE. In fact, GL himself has said that he will never release the Original ever again

Which brings us to a new thought. Should SE now be referred to as the Originals? :D

I personally have no qualms with never releasing the "Originals" again. Special Edition was a vast improvement on an already impressive film, and yet, the additions and enhancements made didn't detract from the quality or substance of the film and story.

The Special Edition films are my Originals. ;)

Ardent
30 March 2004, 11:48 AM
Special Edition will remain Special Edition as long as people who've seen the first run films in the theatres still draw breath...the Prequels are the Prequels and the OT is the OT...SE is SE...99% of Star Wars fans wouldn't bat an eye at any of those definitions and the other 1% flip out when you talk about the difference between Jaster Mereel and Boba Fett...

Regis
30 March 2004, 07:05 PM
*Sigh*

Why does the rest of my life with Jabba getting his tail stepped on, screamin' Luke, and "Jedi Rocks" make me feel like that guy in the one Twilight Zone? You know, the one that survived the nuclear war and had time to read all of the books he wanted, and then broke his glasses?

Am I being ungrateful? Maybe, but I maintain that Lucas is doing the moviegoing public as well as anyone who gives a rip about film history a massive disservice by not releasing the theatrical versions of the OT.

sgt slaughter
31 March 2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Regis
*Sigh*

Why does the rest of my life with Jabba getting his tail stepped on, screamin' Luke, and "Jedi Rocks" make me feel like that guy in the one Twilight Zone? You know, the one that survived the nuclear war and had time to read all of the books he wanted, and then broke his glasses?

Am I being ungrateful? Maybe, but I maintain that Lucas is doing the moviegoing public as well as anyone who gives a rip about film history a massive disservice by not releasing the theatrical versions of the OT.

Agreed.

And just to whack that dead horse one more time, Han shot first.

I still watch the SEs on a regular basis, becuase it's the only star wars available to me, but i have beef with it. Alas.

sgt slaughter the sludir soldier

ps - does anyone have a good explanation for clouds on tatooine?

Master Dao Rin
31 March 2004, 12:30 PM
In regards to the "clouds" question:

Tatooine still has water, just not much of it.

Besides, I always thought those "clouds" were massive sand storms.

Regis
31 March 2004, 01:38 PM
That's pretty rough, Sarge. I'm fortunate enough to have the '95 THX remastered OT. I just hope they last...

mojo1701
31 March 2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Regis
That's pretty rough, Sarge. I'm fortunate enough to have the '95 THX remastered OT. I just hope they last...

You can always back up any media you have digitally.

Treefrog
31 March 2004, 10:12 PM
The only thing that is holding me back now from transferring my videos of the original original Trilogy (OOT) is the cost of the computer peripheral. I mean, c'mon! $200 for the video editing hardware and software to hook up my vcr to my computer, so that I can convert the OOT to DVD.

Skreem
1 April 2004, 12:50 PM
... or just record them to your camcorder, then transfer from camcorder to PC.

Ok - actually costs more in the long run if you don't already have the gear, but most people have a camcorder and most of them have fire-wire these days.

Regis
1 April 2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, gang.

But I have a small problem of three words: poor college student.

Maybe this summer....

Treefrog
1 April 2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Skreem
... or just record them to your camcorder, then transfer from camcorder to PC.

Ok - actually costs more in the long run if you don't already have the gear, but most people have a camcorder and most of them have fire-wire these days.

True, but the problem with my camcorder, is the fact that its not a digital camcorder, but a Hi-8. Now if anyone can give me some pointers on getting the right hookups for this camcorder for firewire, I'd be all set.

Mahobilly2002
11 April 2004, 03:30 PM
At first I was elated to hear about the new DVD boxed set. In my moment of joy I forgot that the Special Editions even existed. Then when I read the post about never releasing the original versions again, I became sad. Star Wars was wonderful and needed know improvement. Sure the technology and special effects were not great by todays standards, but you know what? It looks a lot better that way. I'm not some old Star Wars veteran who saw the films in theaters when they first came out, in fact, they were made a long time before I was born. I guess I'm just a guy who thinks that Han should've shot first, rubber aliens look cooler and Jabba's band was cool before that stupid furry guy and all those dancers showed up.

I have ancient VHS copies of the trilogy and they just became far more precious to me than ever before.

-Mahobilly2002

Vanger Chevane
12 April 2004, 01:42 PM
That's about the only thing I like about the SE & the Flanneled Emporer making the original Original Trilogy an out-of-print/publication item.

My Theatrical Edition widescreen-version VHS box set is going to be quite valuable now...:D

Regis
12 April 2004, 05:10 PM
Widescreen? I'm jealous now (I've got full screen).

Maynard
28 April 2004, 03:08 AM
Well whoopee.. Looks like I've got the THX remastered wide screen edition aswell. Minor problem that I haven't got a VCR in my den though...

Treefrog
29 April 2004, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know what file format a video has to be in, before it can be put on a DVD to be viewed on a DVD player?

mojo1701
2 May 2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Treefrog

Does anyone know what file format a video has to be in, before it can be put on a DVD to be viewed on a DVD player?

Why? do you have a DVD-burner and burning program?

Treefrog
2 May 2004, 02:20 PM
Yep.....

I also am now able to burn from VHS to my computer.....

Fingon
2 May 2004, 03:03 PM
My Theatrical Edition widescreen-version VHS box set is going to be quite valuable now...

Dang you!! *shakes fist*

Yeah, I only have the not-quite-so-ancient, last-release-of-the-original- trilogy in FULL SCREEN!! What makes sad, though, is that I NEVER saw the originals in wide screen...

Anyway, I agree the SE did have some really annoying parts, and I personally like the old prosthetic Jabba and Yoda, the always bugged my because I could always tell it wan't real. Don't get me wrong, I liked several aspects of the SE, but I hope they get revised.

mojo1701
3 May 2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Treefrog
Yep.....

I also am now able to burn from VHS to my computer.....

Then there should be a burning program with what you have...

IM me and I'll give you more info. I don't wanna bog down this thread.

Ayden Storm
20 May 2004, 11:19 PM
When I first heard that the Trilogy was going to be realeased, I honestly thought I had dreamed it. I swear, I thought it had to be a dream, I thought good old GL was going to wait to release Ep III, then release a prequel trilogy, then the original trilogy, then in order to get everyone to buy more, a SE complete series that had stuff you couldn't get.

I am glad that GL isn't as greedy as I thought.

mojo1701
21 May 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ayden Storm

I am glad that GL isn't as greedy as I thought. [/B]

I wouldn't go that far ;).

QWERTY
14 June 2004, 05:38 PM
the thing is i would like to but it but i absoulty conviced that GL will realese a 6/7 disk compilation of all the films after ep3 has resolved in the statse for a few years.

Qwerty