PDA

View Full Version : After Ossus?

cheshire
20 February 2004, 05:20 AM
After the planet Ossus was effectively destroyed during the Sith War, where did the Jedi set up their primary base of operations? I'm looking, but I haven't found a good answer. Did they just sort of disperse after that, or did they have a few training centers?

THanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Darth Fierce
20 February 2004, 10:19 AM
IIRC, Exis Station (detailed in "Redemption") eventually became a temporary base for the Jedi Academy after the Sith War. After that, I'm not sure, though I'd guess the majority of Jedi moved to Coruscant soon following that.

Darth Fierce :vader:

johnnyputrid
20 February 2004, 10:52 AM
I tend to agree with Darth Fierce on this. Ofter Ossus the Jedi probably began some serious work on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. The actual Jedi Council remained mobile, however, and didn't settle on Coruscant until after the Battle of Ruusaan, when they dedcided that they could no longer avoid allying themselves with the Senate. I'd say that a good chunk of the Jedi "work force" probably relocated there to help with the relocation of Jedi artifacts and what remained of their library.

Darth_Cassed
20 February 2004, 11:08 AM
Also remember that not everything was transported off of Ossus. They took only the important things and left the rest, as the planet is littered with it. Not only that, but several artifacts were lost in the destruction and were only found long after the New Republic was established.

Perhaps some Jedi scouted Yavin IV as a possible base, but abandoned it due to Sith troubles ;)

cheshire
20 February 2004, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty much looking for sending my group on a quest for Jedi artifacts so that they can continue their training. They're starting the campaign 6 months after The Purge began. I thought that sending them to Ossus itself to look for artifacts might have been an obvious move, and that they might start to look someplace else. I would have thought that would have been the first place the Empire would have tried to restrict travel. But if the whole planet was turned into a soot ball, that might have some possibilities of trying to find underground caverns or something.

The only reference that I found after Ossus was in Dark Force Rising and it mentions where Jorus C'Boath was trained. But that really isn't much of a lead.

Nova Spice
20 February 2004, 01:19 PM
Ossus also seems to be the new location of the Jedi Academy in the New Jedi Order. At the conclusion of The Unifying Force, Luke mentions that Kam and Tionne have chosen Ossus as a good candidate to set up a Jedi training facility.

Darth Fierce
20 February 2004, 04:52 PM
It's also implied that many Jedi students probably returned to Ambria with Master Thon following the Sith War. In addition, it's not unlikely that some Jedi returned to Arkania or Dantooine to set up bases of operation in honor to Masters Arca Jeth and Vodo Siosk-Baas, respectively.

Jame
21 February 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by cheshire
I'm pretty much looking for sending my group on a quest for Jedi artifacts so that they can continue their training. They're starting the campaign 6 months after The Purge began. I thought that sending them to Ossus itself to look for artifacts might have been an obvious move, and that they might start to look someplace else. I would have thought that would have been the first place the Empire would have tried to restrict travel. But if the whole planet was turned into a soot ball, that might have some possibilities of trying to find underground caverns or something.

Ossus was incinerated by ten suns' explosions, right? So even if its atmosphere wasn't baked off, I'd say that 6 months - Oh! You said the Purge. So it still sould be an airless speck, but there may be some artificial environments there (training domes and such). Along with the underground caverns.

Darth Fierce
21 February 2004, 01:09 PM
Remember, although Ossus took a major beating from the destruction of the Cron Cluster, the planet was lucky enough to be in another system than any of the destroyed stars. Therefore, its atmosphere wasn't completely stripped away...although most of its inhabitants that didn't evacuate were killed. As has been indicated, most of the inhabitants that survived being on-planet when the force of the destroyed Cron Cluster hit were in underground caverns.

By the time of the Jedi Purge, Ossus has had about 4,000 years to recover from the devastation inflicted upon it during the Sith War. It is inhabited by a primitive Force adept society known as the Ysanna, who definitely have knowledge on where surviving caches of Jedi artifacts would be located on the planet. Now, how willing they'd be to give up that type of information around the time of the Jedi Purge is anyone's guess...

Darth_Cassed
21 February 2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
It is inhabited by a primitive Force adept society known as the Ysanna, who definitely have knowledge on where surviving caches of Jedi artifacts would be located on the planet. Now, how willing they'd be to give up that type of information around the time of the Jedi Purge is anyone's guess...

They may be willing to give it up to the Jedi if they prove they are worthy. However I don't feel that to be the case, as Luke Skywalker and Kam Solusar were the first people to really make contact with them. I doubt any others made contact with them during the Jedi Purge.

cheshire
22 February 2004, 10:48 AM
They may be willing to give it up to the Jedi if they prove they are worthy. However I don't feel that to be the case, as Luke Skywalker and Kam Solusar were the first people to really make contact with them. I doubt any others made contact with them during the Jedi Purge.

Though this is true, I'm one of those GMs that's willing to alter continuity a little bit... particularly EU continuity. I mean, I'm not going to have Princess Leia kill herself to avoid capture or anything, but tweaking things a little here and there may not necesarily be a bad thing.

Darth_Cassed
22 February 2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by cheshire

Though this is true, I'm one of those GMs that's willing to alter continuity a little bit... particularly EU continuity. I mean, I'm not going to have Princess Leia kill herself to avoid capture or anything, but tweaking things a little here and there may not necesarily be a bad thing.

Oh no, that's perfectly fine. We tweak continuity a LOT in our games!! Heck, in the Battle of Yavin we took our own customized fighters, blew up the death star ourselves, and killed Vader. So tweaking continuity is completely up to the GM, and each GM is different in their view of that. If you do it, that is completely your decision as long as your players aren't real sticklers about that.
However, be aware of any rammifications of their actions. This may mean some Ysanna get off planet and turn into Jedi much faster than they should have. Keep in mind the possibilities of the consequences ;)

cheshire
23 February 2004, 09:22 AM
This may mean some Ysanna get off planet and turn into Jedi much faster than they should have. Keep in mind the possibilities of the consequences

Er... You don't suppose that Darth Vader and the Emperor would not to notice something like that, do you? :)