PDA

View Full Version : We must've done something right...

Nealos
26 February 2004, 12:53 PM
Ok, so get THIS.

I'm perusing articles in www.clickz.com, one of the most popular trade mags for my line of work (online marketing and web development). This site is one of the most referred to in regards to online marketing and development from the standpoint of trends and whatnot.

I come across this article.

http://www.clickz.com/experts/brand/brand/article.php/1560771

HA!

Vanger Chevane
26 February 2004, 01:29 PM
"Star Wars' official Web site is www.starwars-rpg.net "

Shows just how little these ppl know what they're talking about.

The official site is Starwars.com, but starwars-rpg.net & the SWRPGNetwork do provide the best resources for the RPG.

While it's nice to get some well-deserved recognition, blatantly badly-researched recognition is not what I would like to see.

Nealos
26 February 2004, 01:38 PM
Read a little closer, Vanger...

"...Star Wars' official Web site is www.starwars-rpg.net ... well, at least according to their fans."

The article is about brand communities, something that I've worked with a lot in my career. It of course all started with Starwars-rpg.net.

Ravager_of_worlds
27 February 2004, 09:34 AM
kudos to stawars-rpg.net :)

I honestly can't think of another decent starwars fan site or group of sites then here and there. and why? love of the brand... or rather, I think it's because we turn the brand to our wants and thus claim the brand for our own games. this invariably produces interesting ideas, adventures and characters... .which leads us to the natural conclusion that this fun must be shared.

Nealos
27 February 2004, 10:01 AM
There is a concept known as "brand promise." This is the notion that a brand expresses a promise, whether to owner of that brand intends to or not.

For instance, the Nike brand promise is the individualist, athletic and determined lifestyle. They have worked hard to purposefully cultivate that. The Ramen Noodles brand however has done nothing purposeful to express their brand promise wich is cheap, quick sustenance.

Lucasfilms, Ltd. is very careful to protect their brand because they are intent on protecting what it represents. The brand promise of Star Wars (IMHO) would be an epic exploration of all things fantastic and heroic.

There are numerous fans out there that on some level have been attracted to that brand promise. Likely, those that at some level long for the notion of a quest that is noble, pure and victorious. It has been suggested by many that Star Wars became and instant hit because in 1977, the movie was an expression of overcoming strife and oppression in a time when the United States and the world in general was existing at a very high level of anxiety (not unlike these present days).

So long as ad-hoc stewards of the brand (ie. swrpgnetwork, starwars-rpg.net, etc.) adhere to what Lucasfilms, Ltd. clearly wishes their brand to be interpreted as, we will remain untouched and unmolested by their legal team. As soon as we infringe on either the brand's promise or financial viability, we will have strayed into dark territory.

Just some thoughtful comments during my lunchbreak. :)