PDA

View Full Version : Content of upcoming OT DVD set revealed! :P

ij thompson
24 March 2004, 09:52 PM
the contents of the 4th, 'Special Features; disc!

You heard it here first! :P

Documentary #1:
"I always intended for Greedo to shoot first - I just couldn't afford to do it in 1976!"
- George Lucas on the Magic[tm] of Digitally Defacing the Original Trilogy

Documentary #2:
"Soon, I'll never have to speak to another actor again!"
- George Lucas on the Magic[tm] of Digital Actors

Documentary #3:
"For the love of all that is holy, when will it en... oh! you're here already? It has been a dream come true to accompany George on this incredible journey!"
-John Williams on the Magic[tm] of Scoring the Star Wars saga

Documentary #4:
"God, I love that man..."
- Rick McCallum on the Magic[tm], Brilliance and All-Around Hunkiness of George Lucas

Pardon my cynicism, but with King George messing with my THX-1138, I won't even try to give him the benefit of the doubt anymore!!! :mad:

Wesly Senesca
25 March 2004, 10:27 AM
- George Lucas on the Magic[tm] of Digitally Defacing the Original Trilogy

Is that your input, or is that the real title? If so, Lucas may have a sense of humor about this sort of stuff.

Chris Curtis
25 March 2004, 01:30 PM
LOL! I.J. is just airing his cynicism about various changes and such that good ol' George Lucas keeps making in everything he touches.

Admiral_Atredies
25 March 2004, 02:15 PM
I propse yet another addition:

Documentary #5:
"Man, I'm gonna be rich..."
- George Lucas on the new Prequel trilogy and generaly Screwing the franchise over.

:rolleyes:

Faraer
26 March 2004, 10:08 AM
I'll pardon your cynicism, though I don't like it, because I guessed what the post would be like from the title.

But Admiral_Atredies's comment is just stupid. If George was so motivated by money he'd have made Episode I ten years earlier.

Admiral_Atredies
26 March 2004, 01:46 PM
All intended in good humor, Faraer. I really don't Lucas' motives are money, nor have they ever been. I just think he's lost alot of the soul of what went into the original series. Just opinions and speculation.

Krad-edis
26 March 2004, 02:42 PM
"I always intended for Greedo to shoot first - I just couldn't afford to do it in 1976!"

Was this an actual excuse he used?

Is this the same film with blaster bolts flying everywhere with huge chunks of concrete falling all over the place in docking bay 94?

The man could afford to blow up TIE fighter models and glue hundreds of battleship models together to form the surface of the Death Star, but he couldn't spare one blaster bolt?

He couldn't create one small blaster explosion and crater to the back left or right of Han's head?

I don't buy it. Sounds like a load of crap to me. I guess I won't criticize further. They are HIS movies, but I already own a version. No need to buy another one.

Snib Snub
26 March 2004, 08:06 PM
"I am your density."

Kordeth
26 March 2004, 08:37 PM
*DISCLAIMER FOR THE IRONY IMPAIRED*

The entire original post is a joke. There are no documentaries with these titles on the OT DVD 4th disc, Lucas has never said "I always wanted Greedo to shoot first, I just didn't have the money," and Rick McCallum does not (so far as I know) think George Lucas is a Hunka-Hunka Burnin' Love.

That said, IJ, I laughed my butt off. Great satire there--the "TM" after every use of the word magic was priceless.

ij thompson
27 March 2004, 09:50 AM
Hi-5's go out to all you fine folks with a sense of humour! :D

I realize that the cynicism in my post is unpalatable to some, but it really just stems from my very real disappointment over what George is doing to THX-1138.

I can accept his revamps of Star Wars. SW has a huge fan base, and he needs to keep the franchise alive, and he seems to think it important to keep them at the forefront of technology. In my opinion, GL can release new versions of these films every year for all I care - I have a bootleg copy of the original releases of the OT on dvd, so I'm covered.

But THX-1138? Who (besides me, for one) really cares about this movie at all? I wonder how many people on this board have even seen it. This was his very first movie, for crying out loud, and now he's gonna go mucking about with it, as well. And there isn't even a widescreen copy of this movie on tape... so if any of us wants the original (as I do, very, very much), we have to go out and buy a Laserdisc player, and the laserdisc itself!

I guess the point of it all is, I believe the originals must be preserved, for history's sake, if nothing else. Think of it - if Paul McCartney came out tomorrow with a 'Special Edition' of the White Album, with a banjo track added to every song, and said, 'this is what we intended all the while', does that mean we're supposed to happily throw away our White Albums, forget they ever existed, and listen only to the banjo version evermore? :mad:

(oh god... I hope some of the younger HoloNetters passing through this thread have actually heard of the White Album! :P )

Bjorn
27 March 2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ij thompson

I realize that the cynicism in my post is unpalatable to some, but it really just stems from my very real disappointment over what George is doing to THX-1138.

What is Uncle George going to change about THX-1138? I haven't heard anything about possible changes to the movie.

Bjorn

Wesly Senesca
27 March 2004, 01:33 PM
I have a bootleg copy of the original releases of the OT on dvd, so I'm covered.

Cool! Who do I have to kill to get my hands on a copy? Also, how's the quality on those things?

Wesly Senesca
27 March 2004, 01:37 PM
(oh god... I hope some of the younger HoloNetters passing through this thread have actually heard of the White Album!)

Yes. Have heard of it, and do love it. The Beatles are the schiznit, and classic rock rules, yo.

ij thompson
27 March 2004, 02:14 PM
Yes Bjorn, THX1138 is being digitally tinkered with... updated effects shots (which baffles my mind, since there were no special effects in this movie in the first place!) and lots more extras being comped into existing scenes, for certain. Specifically, I don't know, but it's been announced that work is being done.

And Wesley, I got my dvds off eBay. I'd advise caution, though: the first set I bought didn't work at all, and I had to threaten the Seller with some very serious retribution before he would make good on his 'no-hassle, money-back guarantee'. :mad:

I did much better on my second try. The quality is not great, however - I would call them 'watchable'. Compared to my aging VHS copies, I would generally say that the picture on these dvds is sharper, but the colours duller. And the authoring is weird... on A New Hope, it will just endlessly loop the THX logo when you pop it in. You have to actually go into the chapter menu, and choose chapter 1 to actually watch the movie. As for Empire and Jedi, the entire movie loops endlessly on both of these discs, inexplicably. And as for the packaging and menus, they are butt-ugly. Right down to there being a bunch of E-wings on the cover of A New Hope, for some reason. :?

I think I'm gonna break down and go with the laserdiscs, though. It'll be expensive, but they'll be THX certified, and that matters to me. And of course, I can have my cherished THX 1138 the way it's meant to be! :D

Bjorn
27 March 2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ij thompson
Yes Bjorn, THX1138 is being digitally tinkered with... updated effects shots (which baffles my mind, since there were no special effects in this movie in the first place!) and lots more extras being comped into existing scenes, for certain. Specifically, I don't know, but it's been announced that work is being done.

Wow. What's next? American Graffiti: Special Edition with new computer generated cars and extras added in.

:rolleyes:

Bjorn

ij thompson
27 March 2004, 04:51 PM
You scoff, Bjorn, but...

As I understand it, American Grafitti has indeed been unable to avoid the Midas-touch-in-reverse of GL. I've read that some skylines in that film have been redone, though I don't know if that's for the existing dvd (I doubt it), or some upcoming edition.

You see?!?!? George Lucas must be stopped!!!!!! :(

Bjorn
27 March 2004, 04:58 PM
What George is doing reminds me of what Ted Turner did when he colored alot of the classic films.

And he must be stopped.

Bjorn

Kyle Pantrakahs
27 March 2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Bjorn
What George is doing reminds me of what Ted Turner did when he colored alot of the classic films.

And he must be stopped.

Agreed. George, we love ya man, but we advise you to lay off, for your own good, and the good of others. ;)

Wesly Senesca
28 March 2004, 10:26 AM
As I understand it, American Grafitti has indeed been unable to avoid the Midas-touch-in-reverse of GL. I've read that some skylines in that film have been redone, though I don't know if that's for the existing dvd (I doubt it), or some upcoming edition.

Yes, the next thing you know, Harrison Ford's character will have stepped on the gas second during his drag race--it's just the way GL meant to do it.

Dr_Worm
28 March 2004, 06:33 PM
Wait, wait, wait...is someone dissing the banjo. I play the banjo and I will have to kick some force loving a** if you are dissing the banjo:D. On the note of the white album...do a search for "the gray album" or "Dj Danger Mouse". The result is actually quite masterfull.

You know I am one of the peole that really loved 99% of the changes in the Revised edition. I think the shoot first stuff is crap, but most of it I like. The problem is that with the success of that bit of revision Flannel boy has gotten a little nuts.

Wesly Senesca
28 March 2004, 07:24 PM
Wait, wait, wait...is someone dissing the banjo. I play the banjo and I will have to kick some force loving a** if you are dissing the banjo

The banjo? Refresh my memory please. And if anyone should take any offense, it should be "flannel boy." Furthermore, I have only three problems with the Special Edition: the who shot first stuff, Luke's screaming down the exhaust shafts, and the credit music from Jedi (I think the transition between the celebration music to the credit music could have been done better--there is about a half second of silence in between that just irks me). Other than those three, I rather like the upgrades. And yes, flannel boy has become a little nuts.

ij thompson
29 March 2004, 08:11 AM
Whoah! Disclaimer time! :P

I have no particular beef with the banjo (in the hands of somebody like Bela Fleck it can be quite groovy, and watching old tapes of Steve Martin playing his as part of his standup routine is a treat), nor is the White Album particularly my favourite album... I just thought these were comparable examples.

Play on, Worm, play on!!! :D

And to be completely honest, I do for the most part think that the Special Editions are lovely. In fact, I'll give the 'devil his due' and list some of the changes in the SE that I particularly liked:

A New Hope
-The Battle of Yavin: those updated fighter shots were gorgeous, and allowed for much more 'in the action' shooting. Especially that 'over the shoulder' shot of that TIE fighter chasing after Luke. Wonderful.

The Empire Strikes Back
-Cloud City: If I could spend the rest of my life in any location from any movie, it would definitely be Cloud City. And I thought all the additions here were very nice. Bravo!

Return of the Jedi
-The Bantha Herd: I love Banthas. They're just a cool part of the SW iconography... they have no particular plot relevance, they're not some sort of dangerous foe, they're just, I don't know... cool! And to have a nice glimpse of these guys just strollin' around doing their thing was a bit of colour I would have expected from a director of a higher caliber than George Lucas.

That said, I'm still P.O.'d!!!! :mad: I want the originals, too! I want those glorious matte paintings! I want to see that white and green R2 unit in Mos Eisley, who now is totally obscured by a Dewback's a--! And to level the playing field, I might as well add my most hated SE changes!

A New Hope
-The Greedo Fiasco: There are so many reasons to hate this, all of which have been covered countless times. But the main reason on my mind is that this change was not made for artistic reasons. It was a purely PC maneuver, and I can't respect that. Boo.

The Empire Strikes Back
-"Bring My Shuttle" James Earl Jones took a throwaway line, and made it into almost my favourite line in the movie (next to "Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug 'im into the hyperdrive!" :P ). Instead, we've got "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival, and tell Flo to prepare sandwiches and coffee for 12 , cancel my squash game, call my wife and tell her I'll be late tonight, and blah blah blah..." Then, we get to watch outtakes from Return of the Jedi! Oh goody! I don't know about'ch'all, but a BIG part of the fun of watching a new SW movie for me is looking at all the groovy new stuff - and squeezing a Lambda shuttle into the end of ESB is just dumb, dumb, DUMB!!! :mad:

Return of the Jedi
-'Jedi Rocks' Oh, man. Okay, maybe 'Lapti Nek' sounds a little dated, but that's gonna happen when dealing with any kind of 'pop' music. And 'Jedi Rocks' doesn't sound dated? And at least' Lapti Nek' sounded like some good ol' intergalactic space funk. 'Jedi Rocks' sounds like an outtake from The Commitments. (Although, I can almost forgive this whole change, because it gives us Rystall, clearly the hottest honey of the original trilogy, in my humble opinion. ;) )

Holy moly, am I ranting. Anyway, the point is: GEORGE! Are you listening? Take a lesson from your pal Spielberg - remember the whole E.T. debacle??? Give us both versions of these films! With seamless branching technology, this can easily be done. Look what a good job they did on the Alien dvds!

You owe it to us!!!

(Hee hee... if I worked at Lucasfilm, I'd be so fired right now! :rolleyes: )

Darth_Cassed
29 March 2004, 11:54 AM
(Hee hee... if I worked at Lucasfilm, I'd be so fired right now!)

No, you'd just be getting fitted for the Jar Jar costume ;)

Oh, and don't worry about being fired. He's coming for you with his army of flannel clones and flannel droids.

johnnyputrid
29 March 2004, 01:03 PM
Flannel Droids? This is an odd play for LucasFilm LTD.:D

Even though I support George's right to release the special edition version as his Be All, End All, This Is What I See In My Head series of films, I don't know why he can't release the originals as well. Most of your classic films are on DVD, or will be soon. Its not like it would be a stretch for them.

I'm one of the lucky few who still has the three original VHS releases, but having them on DVD would be great, since VCRs have a tendency to eat tapes. I'll buy the set in September, and I'll probably continue to buy the films as he re-edits them, which looks to be often at the rate he's going.

It'll end up being like Grateful Dead fans trading concert tapes:

"Dude, I just got the 2014 Empire Strikes Back re-mix!"
"Whoa, what's different?"
"Well, in this one, Greedo shoots Jar Jar first!"
"Dude, I thought Obi-Wan cut Jar Jar in half over that reactor shaft?"
"Naw man, that was the 2011 version!"

Wesly Senesca
29 March 2004, 01:17 PM
It'll end up being like Grateful Dead fans trading concert tapes

If that happens, I will demand that flannel boy (catchy name, ain't it?) perform seppuku to regain his honor. If he requests help, then I would ask to read his "to do" list so I can get in the mood.