PDA

View Full Version : Why Boba Fett?

Wesly Senesca
30 March 2004, 12:41 PM
Since before I became a member here on Holonet, I've noticed that Boba Fett seems to be the most generally prized of all Star Wars characters. Why? What makes him so cool that fans resurrected him even after Lucas tried to kill him off in RotJ? Honestly, I don;t think he's that cool a character. In fact, I grow tired of the guy each time he's exonerated--so tired that I revel in the pleasure of beating the ever living crap out of him in Jedi Academy. Please, explain to me why this freak is so popular.

(For those of you who can't help but flame me for my distaste of Fett: *ignites lighsaber* Bring it on!!!)

Snib Snub
30 March 2004, 12:47 PM
More importantly however, is why don't we all exonerate Sio Bibble more often? Come on!! Sio Bibble!!! What a name!! What a look!! That white pointy beard and billowy clothing! This character rocks!

Faraer
30 March 2004, 02:07 PM
The image of an armoured, emotionally protected and isolated psychopathic killer who answers to no one, has no friends or relations, appeals to some people. It's pretty disfunctional.

On the other hand, Boba Fett's armour is based on concept art originally done for Darth Vader, which justifies a little of the twisted fetishization of this otherwise minor character.

Sio Bibble on the other hand is wise, kind, rich, and good-looking.

Vash Knives
30 March 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
He is an old whiner.

Faraer
30 March 2004, 05:45 PM
He is sexy, a brilliant philosopher and scholar, outspoken, and mustachioed. You can't provoke me to boundless fury with your petty disrespect of this great man.

Krad-edis
30 March 2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca
Since before I became a member here on Holonet, I've noticed that Boba Fett seems to be the most generally prized of all Star Wars characters. Why? What makes him so cool that fans resurrected him even after Lucas tried to kill him off in RotJ? Please, explain to me why this freak is so popular.

:boba:
Fett's armaments make him a tank, although I would kind of think of him almost being compared to a Harrier (http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/5306aebae2b024dd8525626e0048ccf7?OpenDocument). The ability to lift off pretty much anywhere combined with great armor and weapons, training since birth to be a bad ass, and the reputation to match it all makes him a very likable villain. Notice he did not cringe away from Vader, but instead almost seemed pushy with the "He is no good to me dead," dialogue.

Some would say, "don't push your luck bounty hunter", but I think that Vader may have realized that even though he could most likely snuff Fett, it would not be fun or easy. If there was anyone capable of giving Vader a run for his money with armaments alone, it was Fett.

For making demands to Vader, and Vader not killing him, the guy has to be somewhat respected, even if you don't like the guy.

But that is not all.... most importantly, he tracked and was responsible for Solo's capture, almost took Luke's head off with his EE-3, ordered Imperial troops to do his loading duties, and then delivered the prize to Jabba. He seemed to have it more together in ESB than the Imperials did at the end. He was a very important character in regards to the plot of ESB and the start off of ROTJ, even though he had very limited screen time.

Now, in ROTJ, we all have our bad days, and Fett had a bad day and plenty of bad dice rolls. I still think he is cool though. :) He serves his purpose. He shows that bounty hunters are compitent, the Hutts are to be feared, that some bad guys are high enough on the food chain to make demands to Vader without being choked, and he sets us up for a trip to meet Jabba himself in ROTJ.

coldskier0320
31 March 2004, 09:59 AM
Put it this way:

If all SW characters have an anologous relation to a car:

Stormtroopers: Neons, Cavaliers, Tauruses
Vader: Black Ferrari

Jabba: Tank (Slow and ugly, but powerful in his own right, felt that one needed justification)

Leia: Cougar (good looking, but in the end, a girl's car, no offense to anyone)

Han: 20 yr. old foreign car w/ great mileage and lots of sentimental value

Fett: '69 Chevelle SS

In the end, the muscle car may not be your cup of tea, but its still widely popular and a fills a very special niche in the world of cars.

:P Well that was an interesting post...feel free to rip that one to shreds.

Nova Spice
31 March 2004, 12:35 PM
He is sexy, a brilliant philosopher and scholar, outspoken, and mustachioed. You can't provoke me to boundless fury with your petty disrespect of this great man.

Yea, Faraer makes a very valid point. Sio Bibble is one of only two men that can pull off the mustachioed look with any semblance of coolness to it. The other man happens to be an Italian plumber capable of hurling fireballs and beating up on turtles.

With that in mind, I think we all owe Sio Bibble a nod of appreciation. :D

Regis
31 March 2004, 01:35 PM
Agreed. Long live Sio Bibble and his magnificent mustache!

coldskier0320
31 March 2004, 02:26 PM
He is sexy, a brilliant philosopher and scholar, outspoken, and mustachioed.

Ohhhh, good God!!! ::reaches forward to wipe sarcasm up that is dripping from the screen::

Sio Bibble. What a name. Can you imagine how that guy musta gotten picked on in elementary school?!:P

And what about Gallandro? He did the mustachio thing very well. Though I can't remember anyone ever rippin' on him for it for very long...

Heh, I guess the old saying holds true: The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

;)

Darth Fierce
31 March 2004, 04:19 PM
Gallandro?!? The punk got wasted by Xim the Despot's antiquated technology. And Sio Bibble? The guy's afraid of Neimoidians. You can't get much sadder than that.

If there's anyone in the SW galaxy that can pull off the mustached look other than Lando, it has to be Talon Karrde IMHO...

On the actual subject of the thread, though...I'm a Fett fan to the last, though, to a great extent, I prefer the "kinder, gentler Fett" portrayed in the New Republic era on...whom I know some SW fans have a problem with. Sure Fett's done a lot of questionable things, but it's nice to think that even he can redeem himself from time to time. :boba:

Darth Fierce :vader:

Vash Knives
31 March 2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
And Sio Bibble? The guy's afraid of Neimoidians. You can't get much sadder than that.
And he is a serious whiner-worse than ep4 luke!

Treefrog
31 March 2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320

In the end, the muscle car may not be your cup of tea, but its still widely popular and a fills a very special niche in the world of cars.

:P Well that was an interesting post...feel free to rip that one to shreds.

Why a '69 Chevelle SS? Why not a '70? Come on, if push comes to shove, the '70 is better looking! :D

Wesly Senesca
1 April 2004, 11:24 AM

Yes, the muscle car is the coolest type of street machine around. Screw those dinky little rice rockets--all should pay ohmage to the American classics. They kick much arse (I should know, I use to own a 1965 Mustang).

Well that was an interesting post...feel free to rip that one to shreds.

Yes, coldskier. Yes I will.

How about a Lamborgini Diablo?
Luke? Corvette convertable :rolleyes:

How about a Baha racer. Hold on now, hear me out on this one. Han said it best: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts." (Yes, I know it's somewhat cheeky, but hey, it works)

I completely agree with the Stormtroopers = Neons. My friend and I had a saying: "Neons are like roaches. They're everywhere. For each one that gets totaled, two replace, and son on and so forth."--just like Stormtroopers! :stormtpr:

Wesly Senesca
1 April 2004, 12:10 PM
He is sexy, a brilliant philosopher and scholar, outspoken, and mustachioed.

I don't know how anyone could find Santa Claus sexy! :raised: That's just wrong!

Now, for Krad-edis whom actually stayed on topic (good for you; you get a cookie), allow me to explain my stand point.

There are certain things in the wide world of pop-culture that I don't like--one of them being things that are near insanely popular that I have no interest in. Examples of this would be Pokemon, Harry Potter, and even Larry K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Now on their own, these things only mildly irk me, but when combined with people constantly shoving it in my face and saying "this is cool, you gotta do this!" (Old Navy commercials come to mind) make the popular thing absolutely repulsive to me. I'm not saying that anyone here is guilty of this, but I do get the same vibe elsewhere: Family Guy, Undergrads, and quite possibly Clerks--the animated version. Hell, a friend of mine told me about an old SW game he played in where the GM was obsessed with Boba Fett--so much that he prtrayed the man as nigh-indestrucable.

What I wanted to know is what exactly makes this guy cool? Why do so many people go nuts about that armor? If you ask me, that armor is constructed curously similar to what a combat twink would do (hidden weapons, jet pack, etc...). True, he is all about combat and does a damn good job at it--and tracking doown bounty heads for that matter, too--but, honestly, is he really that menacing?

Jetpack -- one could circumvent this by shooting it (probably easier said than done), or if one is a Force user, utilize Drain Energy and syphon out the guy's complete energy supply--no jetpack, no guns, eithe.
Electronic Weapons -- (see above)
Armor -- well, one could shoot the guy 'til he's dead, or use the Dark Side (grip and/or lightning) to insta-kill him, or just cut him in half with a lightsaber (my personal favorite)--let's face it won't stand up to a lightsaber blade. Mace Windu did it. I know what you're thinking: "but he cut between the aromor!" Like it would have made a difference.
Trained form birth to be a badass -- so were amost all of the Jedi from the Old Republic, but look what happened them.

I don't know. He just doesn't appeal to me. Yes, he has a place in the overall story line of the OT, but I think he's blown out of proportion. That's just me, though.

*grins menacingly while twiling ignited lightsaber* Anymore takers?

Snib Snub
1 April 2004, 02:18 PM

Luke? Corvette convertable :rolleyes:

A Corvette Summer reference?!? :raised:

dgswensen
1 April 2004, 07:46 PM
There are certain things in the wide world of pop-culture that I don't like--one of them being things that are near insanely popular that I have no interest in. Examples of this would be Pokemon, Harry Potter, and even Larry K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Now on their own, these things only mildly irk me, but when combined with people constantly shoving it in my face and saying "this is cool, you gotta do this!

So, you don't like Boba Fett because too many other people like him?

I would hope not. Not liking something solely because it's too popular is, to me, not very different at all from liking things because they are popular -- it's an attitude based on the opinions of others, not opinions of your own. There are plenty of reasons not to be enamored of Boba Fett, but to get irate because other people like him? Eh... get over it. There's six billion people in the world; quite a few of them are going to like things that you do... or don't.

As far as why I like him: He's a mystery man. That's really about all I need. He's a man of few to no words, but the battle scars on that armor speak volumes for who he is and what he's capable of.

Regardless of the circumstance of his death (which I dislike), Boba Fett manages to create a very palpable cachet of bad-ass and cool with very little screen time and almost no lines. I think it's because there is so little of him in the movie that fans always want more, and because so little is generally known about him that people find him intriguing.

I'm a firm proponent of "less is more" in storytelling, and frankly I was a little disappointed to see L'il Boba Fett in the prequels -- I liked him and his three or so lines in the original trilogy just fine.

That, and yeah, his armor looks cool and he has cool gear. The jet-pack and other goodies appealed to me far more when I was a kid than they do now, but I still think he's a cool character, and don't feel that Star Wars really needs complicated reasons for liking things. It's space opera. Spaceships, monsters, laser swords.

Wesly Senesca
2 April 2004, 06:52 AM
A Corvette Summer reference?!? :raised:

Yes.

I would hope not. Not liking something solely because it's too popular is, to me, not very different at all from liking things because they are popular -- it's an attitude based on the opinions of others, not opinions of your own. There are plenty of reasons not to be enamored of Boba Fett, but to get irate because other people like him? Eh... get over it. There's six billion people in the world; quite a few of them are going to like things that you do... or don't.

The number of peopole doesn't matter--that's not my reason. Also, how popular something is is not the basis for me disliking something. It's the level of saturation for something that I have little to like/love/need for that gets my blood pumping. Just because a billion people like something doesn't necessarily mean I automatically hate that something.

To give an example, yesterday, I read in a national newspaper that classic rock form the 70s an 60s is on the rise and slowly regaining its popularity. The reason behind that--as the paper told me--is that youngsters are getting fed up with the lack of meaning and likability with today's rock music (the papers words not mine). Now I've been listening to classic rock since as long as I can remember--mainly because I didn't have the marbles to change my father's radio station. Because I already like this new trend, I forsee myself embracing it--not hating it.

I don't dislike something because it's popular--that's stupid--I dislike something because either I'm already predisposed towards not liking it (Pokemon) or because I was originally indefferent to the subject but afoter repeated attempts to make my try it out when I wasn't ready to do so turned that indefference into hate (Anita Blake, Harry Potter). Dgswenson, you said that less is more. Yes, you are very correct, less is more--but too much is too much. Haven't you ever had too much of a good thing and wound up not wanting it anymore?

Originally, I just wan't to know what made this guy so appealling to everyone else. Personally, I thin he's a twink focused on combat who has nothing better to do than go out and do combat. I just have no preference for that kind of character. If you want to to get technical, Fett is a good example of the Byronic Hero of the romantic peroid--dark, brooding, follows own moral code, lone wolf, etc... This type of hero (or antihero to be exact) has been around for nearly 200 years. I've enjoyed characters of this nature before, but that was then--my tasted have matured since then and I find I like a more vocal more philoshical azzkicker these days. If you like his Byronisms, that's cool, everybody's got there favorite in this universe. I personally don't care for the guy. Will I ever hate him? Well, shove him in my face repeatedly and we'll see.

Whose next?

Tav Kord
2 April 2004, 08:02 AM
Personally, I think Fett fills the "no matter how tough you are, there is always someone tougher out there" role. Look at it this way... Fett scared a man who had the stones to take a pot-shot at Vader himself.

As for combat twinks... I'd be more inclined to say characters with Force abilities and a sword that can cut through anything (not to mention double as VERY effective armor vs. weapons of the day) who also hold the moral high-ground...fit that description. Then again, thats just because I can't stand Jedi. Never saw the appeal in them myself... though apparently the masses love them. Too much like the knights in shining armor of old for my taste.

*dons flame-immune armor and runs*

Jastor
2 April 2004, 08:16 AM
The image of an armoured, emotionally protected and isolated psychopathic killer who answers to no one, has no friends or relations, appeals to some people. It's pretty disfunctional.

On the other hand, Boba Fett's armour is based on concept art originally done for Darth Vader, which justifies a little of the twisted fetishization of this otherwise minor character.

I wouldnt really call Boba fett Psychopathic killer. He dont kill randomly, hes not a nutcase. Hes cold and calculating, but Psychotic? No. He doesnt kill for fun or kicks. Just for money.

coldskier0320
2 April 2004, 09:31 AM
Wesly, also note that in your own listing of ol' T-face's weaknesses, almost all of the solutions to his advantages involved flashlight swingers, which, IMO, get more hype than they deserve. I think Fett stands out becuase he is so feared and respected without special, super-human powers. He is known for things that he has done on his own, without aid from the Force or a long tradition of Jedi badasses. This combined with the fact that he stays carefully in the gray area that force users cant seem to get in, either goign to goody-two-shoes Jedi, or sadistic Sith.

How about a Lamborgini Diablo?

That's much better, even just the name. :D

Gallandro?!? The punk got wasted by Xim the Despot's antiquated technology.

Maybe so, but I think he was another Fett. Warped sense of right and wrong, emotionless, very dangerous...freak accident ending...;)

BrianDavion
2 April 2004, 03:39 PM
Jetpack -- one could circumvent this by shooting it (probably easier said than done)

note that Jango was killed when his jet pack broke, Jango IMHO was a tad... too reliant on the thing.

that being said I never understood the whole love of the family fett.

fo r crying out loud, it's just a family of canon fodder.

dgswensen
2 April 2004, 04:43 PM
Jango also went toe-to-toe in single combat with Obi-Wan, and beat him the first time, plugged a Jedi Master, and yeah... wasn't much of a match for Mace Windu, but then again who is?

The Jedi are very overpowered compared to any other "class" of person, both in the movies and in the game, and generally tend to cut a swatch through almost anything. The fact that the Fetts could hold their own against the Jedi in general is testament to their proverbial bad-assery.

As for the argument of them getting killed, and therefore not being sufficiently hardcore as characters... that argument will be fun to trot out on nearly every single Jedi in the Galaxy once Episode III rolls around.

Vash Knives
2 April 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
Put it this way:

If all SW characters have an anologous relation to a car:
Stormtroopers: Neons, Cavaliers, Tauruses
Jabba: Tank (Slow and ugly, but powerful in his own right, felt that one needed justification)
Leia: Cougar (good looking, but in the end, a girl's car, no offense to anyone)
Here's my look:
Stormtroopers: Ricers-look cool, numorous, but can't go against the big boys
Vader: Pinto-hear me out on this-one word, DEADLY!
Jabba: Carrier-big, slow, uses lackeys for offense/defense, and can be taken out quickly with a lucky shot
Han: old ford truck-Gone through alot and is still lovable
Fett: Mustang GT500KR-lots of power, fast, and looking freeling cool.

Krad-edis
2 April 2004, 04:47 PM

Now, for Krad-edis whom actually stayed on topic (good for you; you get a cookie), allow me to explain my stand point.

There are certain things in the wide world of pop-culture that I don't like--one of them being things that are near insanely popular that I have no interest in. Examples of this would be Pokemon, Harry Potter, and even Larry K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Now on their own, these things only mildly irk me, but when combined with people constantly shoving it in my face and saying "this is cool, you gotta do this!" (Old Navy commercials come to mind) make the popular thing absolutely repulsive to me. I'm not saying that anyone here is guilty of this, but I do get the same vibe elsewhere: Family Guy, Undergrads, and quite possibly Clerks--the animated version. Hell, a friend of mine told me about an old SW game he played in where the GM was obsessed with Boba Fett--so much that he prtrayed the man as nigh-indestrucable.

I understand you not liking everything, even things that others find popular, but honestly, it sounds like the problem is with your friend's old GM, not the character of Fett. Obviously the guy is human, and has his limitations. If he had Force Powers, or a legion of supporters, he would not need all of the armor and gadgets. He plans, he is prepared and he is armed to the teeth, and that is why he was successful. I don't see that any reason to bash him, or not like him because others like him for his presence in the films. I think part of the coolness surrounding him is that he succeeded where the legion of stormtroopers and Darth Vader could not track or hold on to any of the Heroes of Yavin.

What I wanted to know is what exactly makes this guy cool? Why do so many people go nuts about that armor? If you ask me, that armor is constructed curously similar to what a combat twink would do (hidden weapons, jet pack, etc...). True, he is all about combat and does a damn good job at it--and tracking doown bounty heads for that matter, too--but, honestly, is he really that menacing?

Think about who he is going after. The galaxy is dangerous, and the people he is trying to bring in most often are the reason why the galaxy is so dangerous. But besides his his armor and combat skills, there is something else. He tracked the man who could not be tracked. He mouthed off to the guy who can kill with his thoughts, and he delivered the one who could not be tracked to the Fat Guy. He is a very dangerous and menacing character who was a successful villain. Luke, Leia, Chewie and Lando could not work fast enough to save Han from him. I can see why people think he is cool. He did not seem to fail in ESB where all the other Bounty Hunters and even Darth Vader were left banging their fists on the monitors as the good guys got away. So, is he that menacing? He got Han and held on to him long enough to deliver. I would not want him coming after my Star Wars PC, that is for sure.

I don't know. He just doesn't appeal to me. Yes, he has a place in the overall story line of the OT, but I think he's blown out of proportion. That's just me, though.

*grins menacingly while twiling ignited lightsaber* Anymore takers?

It sounds like you are overreacting. I think of Star Wars and I think of Luke, Anakin's story and the roar of the Millenium Falcon with Han yelling at Chewie. Rarely to I automatically associate Boba Fett with it when I think of Star Wars. But, I have to say that he is an important supporting character, one that does deserve the popularity he has receieved. So, I must ask, what exactly do you hope to accomplish with this thread? Plenty of people have put things down about Fett's characters showing that he is a very appealing villain and each time it seems to be your main point that he has no successful qualities as a villain (even though admitting that he is good at bounty hunting) and you cannot understand why he is so popular. It sounds like you just want to rant and do not want to be convinced that he has anything else going for him than a series of munchkin devices and trumped up reputation. I think there is more to him than that, and I think I have effectively shown, as have others, that he is an excellent tracker, a flying tank, and a villain who successfully split the heroes of Yavin from the 5th to 6th Episode. If you don't like him, thats fine, but you asked for reasons why people like him and you got it. His actions, both on screen and off screen are not something to scoff at, and saying that he has been blown out of proportion...well, how so?

Unless you think the following are insignificant:
1) Fett tracking of Han to Bespin and alerting the Imps and Vader
2) the torture of the Heroes
3) the leading of Luke to Bespin
4) Han being taken by Fett away
5) Luke fighting Vader and losing wrist
6) Luke learning the truth about his father
7) the splitting of the heroes until next Episode

He really screwed things up for the heroes as a result of just a few of his actions, and in the end, he delivered. I think he was as much of an antagonist of the heroes as any of the main character villains, and though I don't idolize the guy or think he is the main focus of the story, he is popular, again, because he is a mysterious villain.......who for all practical purposes WON a pretty devestating victory against the MAIN heroes of Star Wars.

Darth Fierce
2 April 2004, 08:12 PM
Take in consideration, also, that he was designed as one of only two characters (from EU or canon sources) that has been able to name his own price to a Hutt and survived to tell the tale.

Perhaps some of you remember the great debate he had with Jabba regarding the worth of a carbonite-encased Han Solo in one of the EU sources. I believe it might have been from the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" novel.

BrianDavion
2 April 2004, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry but fett;s story from the tales from the boun ty hunters series is just completly worthless.
it's proven well.. WRONG

Darth_Cassed
3 April 2004, 08:08 AM
BrianDavion, please explain what you mean by this. Instead of simply stating your position, explain what you think for us so we can all debate and contribute. We'd love to hear it :)

I think Boba Fett is respected as a tough villain because of the actions Krad-edis stated. It's not like every villain can be the uber-villain to the heroes, he was simply a road block to them. I'm not saying he was an easy kill, but it was a fluke that he was brought down. At the time, he wasn't considered one of the most dangerous bounty hunters in the galaxy, he was just known as a dangerous man. It wasn't until after his appearances did they flesh out the idea that he was one of the most dangerous men you will ever fight.

Wesly Senesca
3 April 2004, 10:35 AM
1) Fett tracking of Han to Bespin and alerting the Imps and Vader
2) the torture of the Heroes
3) the leading of Luke to Bespin
4) Han being taken by Fett away
5) Luke fighting Vader and losing wrist
6) Luke learning the truth about his father
7) the splitting of the heroes until next Episode

1) Yes, that was him, but it was also in his contract to bring them to Vader first--he did want them alive, propably for interrogation (which leads me to--)
2) That was all Vader. You guys have stated it more than once on this thread that Fett spoke up to Vader at this. He was worried about the condition of his "cargo." What good is a dead bounty to a bounty hunter? I think his greed was kicking in at that point.
3) Wasn't that Vader's plan from the first part? Lure Skywalker out of hiding?
4) Yeah, that was all Fett.
5 & 6) That was all Vader right there, my friend. No doubt about it.
7) That could arguably be attributed to both of them. Fett was the instrument but Vader was the instigator.

The gadget question:
Yes he has a butt-load of do-dads and gizmos that help him hunt down bointies. Yes, he has bad-assness training from birth. Yes, he is a bad-ass (this fact is uncontestable as the previous posts on this thread has made abundantly clear). He is a bounty hunter. He is prepared for what he does. It's his job to be good at what he does, and he does it all without the Force. Yes, that is highly commendable. I think out of all the characters in the ENTIRE Star Wars universe, he definetly deserves the best Bounty Hunter Award if not just the nomination. My caveat is that if one relies to heavily on objects and such and not one's own inate abilities, the possibility of failure grows larger. Take planning something for instance. The more complex the plan is--i.e. the more dependant actions within the plan--the greater the chance of failure becomes a reality. The more complex a person's battle tactics are the greater the chance of slipping up regardless of the level of skill involved. Case(s) in point:
Jango vs Windu--He relied on his jetpack a little too much and when it failed him he lost his head (no punn of any kind is intended)
Boba at the Sarlacc Pit--Again, here the jetpack became the end of him. But one can also point out that once he saw Luke "swingin' his flashlight," all that pent up anger and hatred of Jedi oozed to the surface. Luke had just sliced his main weapon (his blaster rifle or carbine or whatever) in twaid. Boba, though wearing his helmet which masks his emotions, took time to line up a shot using his wrist rockets. Now, if this guy's a marksman or at least a damn good shot, why would he take his time to line up a shot--I don't think he would have worried about hitting bystanders (he's a loner by profession and the people he would hit were Heroes of Yavin or Jabba's minions--which are replacable). So why? My theory is that he wanted to savor the moment of killing a Jedi--something that in that peroid of time was a once in a lifetime chance. By savoring the moment or possibly seething with hatred, he lowered his defences long enough for Han to accidentally knock his jetpack out of wack (I did not mean for that to rhyme). If this is all true, he certainly wouldn't be emotionless.

I prefer to use simple, versital weapons/defences--epitomed in the tools of the Jedi trade: lightsaber and Force (maximum output / minimum input). With only one object to depend upon (lightsaber), the Jedi has little to worry about going wrong. And witht the Force, the only way to rob the Jedi of that is to use an Yssalimri. At the time of the OT, the Yssalimiri were nearly unheard of. But, hey that's just my rpeference.

Now, My purpose for this thread is to ask why people find this guy irresistable. Why is he so popular that fans ressurected the dude? I'm not sure who did it, but in some storyline, the author/s had Dengar pull Boba's near dead body from the Sarlacc pit--agaisnt the wishes of the GOD of the Star Wars universe, George Lucas. IIRC, Lucas purposely had Darth Maul bisected and pushed down a reactor shaft so as to prevent the same thing from happening.

In case anyone thinks I'm lying about my intentions for this thread:

Originally, I just wan't to know what made this guy so appealling to everyone else.
from post # 18

Yes, I can see that he is a devastating villian, but I don't see the need to go against the wishes of thesetting's creator and bring him back. I just want to know why. Thast's all. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion, I'm just stating reasons for my indifference to him.

P.S. I just had to prune a tree for my parents, and I must say: chainsaws kick ass!

Krad-edis
3 April 2004, 01:23 PM

1) Yes, that was him, but it was also in his contract to bring them to Vader first--he did want them alive, propably for interrogation (which leads me to--)
2) That was all Vader. You guys have stated it more than once on this thread that Fett spoke up to Vader at this. He was worried about the condition of his "cargo." What good is a dead bounty to a bounty hunter? I think his greed was kicking in at that point.
3) Wasn't that Vader's plan from the first part? Lure Skywalker out of hiding?
4) Yeah, that was all Fett.
5 & 6) That was all Vader right there, my friend. No doubt about it.
7) That could arguably be attributed to both of them. Fett was the instrument but Vader was the instigator.

I think you are missing the point. I listed these events so that you could see that his one act of successfully tracking them to Bespin leads up to all of this. These events hinged on him tracking them. While Vader is predominantly involved in these events, without Fett, he would be playing ping pong with his Star Destroyer's watch officer without a clue as to where Han was heading.

The gadget question:
Yes he has a butt-load of do-dads and gizmos that help him hunt down bointies. Yes, he has bad-assness training from birth. Yes, he is a bad-ass (this fact is uncontestable as the previous posts on this thread has made abundantly clear). He is a bounty hunter. He is prepared for what he does. It's his job to be good at what he does, and he does it all without the Force. Yes, that is highly commendable. I think out of all the characters in the ENTIRE Star Wars universe, he definetly deserves the best Bounty Hunter Award if not just the nomination. My caveat is that if one relies to heavily on objects and such and not one's own inate abilities, the possibility of failure grows larger. Take planning something for instance. The more complex the plan is--i.e. the more dependant actions within the plan--the greater the chance of failure becomes a reality. The more complex a person's battle tactics are the greater the chance of slipping up regardless of the level of skill involved. Case(s) in point:
Jango vs Windu--He relied on his jetpack a little too much and when it failed him he lost his head (no punn of any kind is intended)
Boba at the Sarlacc Pit--Again, here the jetpack became the end of him. But one can also point out that once he saw Luke "swingin' his flashlight," all that pent up anger and hatred of Jedi oozed to the surface. Luke had just sliced his main weapon (his blaster rifle or carbine or whatever) in twaid. Boba, though wearing his helmet which masks his emotions, took time to line up a shot using his wrist rockets. Now, if this guy's a marksman or at least a damn good shot, why would he take his time to line up a shot--I don't think he would have worried about hitting bystanders (he's a loner by profession and the people he would hit were Heroes of Yavin or Jabba's minions--which are replacable). So why? My theory is that he wanted to savor the moment of killing a Jedi--something that in that peroid of time was a once in a lifetime chance. By savoring the moment or possibly seething with hatred, he lowered his defences long enough for Han to accidentally knock his jetpack out of wack (I did not mean for that to rhyme). If this is all true, he certainly wouldn't be emotionless.

I don't see what this has to do with you not liking him or why he is so popular, and I don't believe I ever said he was without emotion. What is the relevance of all this? What out of all of this are you trying to prove?

I prefer to use simple, versital weapons/defences--epitomed in the tools of the Jedi trade: lightsaber and Force (maximum output / minimum input). With only one object to depend upon (lightsaber), the Jedi has little to worry about going wrong. And witht the Force, the only way to rob the Jedi of that is to use an Yssalimri. At the time of the OT, the Yssalimiri were nearly unheard of. But, hey that's just my rpeference.

So this is just a matter of your preference? Sure, it would be nice for everyone to be able to just be able to have super powers and hack through everyone with double bladed lightsabers, or deal with villains with a lightsaber once diplomacy fails, but it seems that the vast majority of the galaxy does not have this luxury. This does not mean that people should be completely powerless against someone with super powers and a lightsaber....in fact, Fett's cleverness and his armaments in many respects should keep things fairly even. I really enjoyed the fight between Jango and Kenobi on Kamino, and I think that should be a lesson to all low level to mid level Jedi that not all fights are going to be easy against non-Force Sensitive types. The Fetts represent that "Jedi need help too" factor well.

Now, My purpose for this thread is to ask why people find this guy irresistable. Why is he so popular that fans ressurected the dude? I'm not sure who did it, but in some storyline, the author/s had Dengar pull Boba's near dead body from the Sarlacc pit--agaisnt the wishes of the GOD of the Star Wars universe, George Lucas. IIRC, Lucas purposely had Darth Maul bisected and pushed down a reactor shaft so as to prevent the same thing from happening.

Wes, plenty of people have given you there theories as to why they think he is cool, but in all honesty, I don't understand why any character in Star Wars would have a cult following, let alone Fett. I think you have to look at the people who are going overboard and blame them or differ with them. Fett serves his purpose in the stories, and anyone who wishes to think him invincible, God-like, or anything more than he is has problems. Now in regards to him comnig back, well, that could be a feasible thing. I don't know how familiar you are with the Dark Empire rehashing of him (some people really don't like Dark Empire), but just think of the blood draining out of Han when Fett said to him "Greetings Solo. "The Saarlac found me somewhat indigestible, Solo." Again, to some people he served a purpose, and while not in his original state of butt kicking, he is there, when everyone thought he bought the farm. Is it feasible that he survived? It is science fantasy, so I guess anything could happen, but his survival is not as far fetched as the Sun Crusher or some of the other things that have happened in EU. Some people think it is fun to have him reappear. I enjoyed seeing him back for that portion, but again he serves his small purpose and once again is a hinderance for Han. He is nothing more than that.

In case anyone thinks I'm lying about my intentions for this thread:

You have spent too much time on this thread to by lying. No one is accusing you of that.

Yes, I can see that he is a devastating villian, but I don't see the need to go against the wishes of thesetting's creator and bring him back. I just want to know why. Thast's all. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion, I'm just stating reasons for my indifference to him.

Because someone had a different opinion is what cool would be than you. A lot of people enjoyed seeing him back, and some more than others. But aside from that, you really have not stated any real concrete reasons as to why you are indifferent to him. You have complimented him, and then have turned around and asked why he is so popular. I think your analysis of gadgets and both father and clone son relying too heavily on them is a little flawed. There was plenty of hand to hand fighting involved, along with planning and general cunning. The needed reliance on gadgets was a very acceptable thing to do when facing super powered characters with lightsabers. If the Jedi have an advantage, why not use what ever you have going for them back against them? It just so happened in both cases that each Fett had problems with the jet pack...and if you want to blame someone for something that was stupid, blame George Lucas for making Jango a retard who kept shooting at Windu after his ability to fly went out the window.

P.S. I just had to prune a tree for my parents, and I must say: chainsaws kick ass!

You people with powered tools! Lucky bastages! I had to do that years ago for my parents and my dad told me to build some character with a bow saw. :)

dgswensen
3 April 2004, 05:09 PM
I would have been fine with Boba Fett dying if his death scene had had any dignity. I think it's the ridiculous nature of his demise that led a lot of fans to want to bring him back; as a character, they felt he deserved better than a slapstick death.

As for over-reliance on gadgets... it's Star Wars. Everyone relies on gadgets. Yes, let's put a bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe who has nothing but a loincloth and a bamboo pole... let's see how far he gets.

The Fetts rely too much on their gadgets? Maybe. But take a Jedi's lightsaber and force powers away and they're nothing but guys in robes. It's the tools they use to do the job... take them away and they are diminished? Well, to borrow a phrase from my teenage years, no duh.

And as for the respective Fetts making mistakes... everybody makes mistakes. The best moments in the entire Star Wars series, as in any drama, are from when people royally screw up -- Qui-Gon taking on Anakin, Luke confronting Vader, Han trusting Lando, Lando trusting Vader, and yeah, Fett waiting too long to plug Han and Jango Fett thinking he could take on a Jedi Master toe-to-toe. :)

Major T. Phennir
7 April 2004, 09:49 AM
I have just one thing to say; Jango and Boba would never have died if the good guys could die.

coldskier0320
7 April 2004, 10:12 AM
What I wanna know, and maybe I would know if i read NJO, but insofar as ive read in the EU...why hasn't boba thrown in with the NR? He claims to serve whatever is the rightful authority, and in the rebellion era, the imps had a strong case, but by the time of thrawn, i wanted to see him with a white hat. Why not, do you think? :?

Regis
7 April 2004, 10:15 AM
I don't think Boba serves the current authority so much as he just goes along with them. As long as they aren't coming after him, he's a happy little clone.

Darth_Cassed
7 April 2004, 10:33 AM
The New Republic is an organization that doesn't officially support bounty hunters. They have to be a clean and justified government in order to stay afloat, so Boba Fett's tactics aren't really wanted. What they need is secret agents that can get in and out with low fatalities and sightings. Not a man who's armed to the teeth and willing to blow the complex up to get what he wants.

Therefore, any organization willing to pay him for his way of doing things is his rightful organization. The Bounty Hunter Guild is his rightful organization, as are all that make use of it. He doesn't care what faction is in power or what their policies are as long as he can do things his way and still get the money for it.

Wesly Senesca
7 April 2004, 01:09 PM
coldskier0320 My friend just finished reading the final NJO novel. Clone boy (Fett) shows up with a bunch of "followers" (don't want to spoil it, if, that is I heard my friend right) and starts wearing an off white hat. Is that good enough?

dgswenson

As for over-reliance on gadgets... it's Star Wars. Everyone relies on gadgets. Yes, let's put a bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe who has nothing but a loincloth and a bamboo pole... let's see how far he gets.
Good point there. Humans are tool using creatures--be the tool tangible or supernatural. Loincloth though? I think it would be damn funny to see Conan the Bounty Hunter, wouldn't you?

As for their slapstick death--I blame Lucas. It seems to work.

Krad-edis I just think that Clone boy and Pops aren't the only ones who can take on Jedi and come out unscathed. I'm sure there are other charactes in the EU that can more than adequately handle the job (I would list some examples, but because I haven't read much of the EU stuff, I can't think of any names off hand). What I don't understand, is the desire to be the badass--the lone gunman who says little and does the impossible. What if said badass gunman goes home to read poetry to his pet poodle or tend to a little flower garden? That badass doesn't seem like such a badass after witnessing that. Is Boba mysterious for a reason, or is it just because Lucas got lazy? See, I have been reading all the reasons people like this guy, and they center around his badassitude and the air of mystery floating around him. So, what do you think? Do you think he has a reason or is it because Lucas got lazy?

As for the list--yeah, I know all that happened cause of him. But, technically Vader was the one who hired him. Before that, he could have been twidling his thumbs. Was it not for Vader's obsession, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Furthermore, he would have done it eventually--with his resources he would have found them. It would just have been a matter of time.

P.S. I took three years of shop class in high school. I built character with a bow saw, too. You're not alone.

JediJester
7 April 2004, 05:43 PM
Personally, I liked R2-D2 the best and the rest were just background color.

I do like Fett as a character though. I think it's because he was the rebel (as in he didn't align himself with anyone) who didn't care for anything except himself. He was confident of his abilities, honorable in a fashion, and didn't let anyone push him around. That he also had a lot of mystery surrounding him didn't hurt either.

As for the exchange between Fett and Vader, it doesn't really matter why he wanted Solo alive, just that he had the balls to stand up to Vader.

Yes, Fett had a lot of gadgets, but I don't feel that he was dependent upon them. Having many gadgets doesn't mean that your dependent upon them, it just mean you like having the right tool for the job (it's best to use metric sockets on metric bolts and SAE on SAE). Besides, Fett was known more for tracking down his quarry than for destroying them.

I felt Boba Fett's death was a very undignified way for him to go out in RotJ. Come on, the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy taken out by a blind man's dumb luck? Because of this, I have mixed feelings about his ressurrection. It's lame to bring back people from the dead that way, but his death was even lamer.

As for why Fett didn't align himself with the NR, it's because he doesn't believe in causes. The sole purpose in his life is fulfilling contracts. He is honorable, in a way. In one of the YJK novels, he is talking with Zekk about being a bounty hunter. He will not turn on somebody while under their employment, but as soon as his contract with them is done everything became fair game.

Faraer
8 April 2004, 09:12 AM
It would have been inappropriate (mythically incongruent) for Boba Fett to have had a heroic death, simply because he isn't a hero, or even a major villain. In Star Wars, characters who don't align themselves with good or evil are ultimately meaningless bit parts who go nowhere, and the fetishized superperson of Fett fans isn't the character in the films.

Krad-edis
8 April 2004, 09:57 AM
Krad-edis I just think that Clone boy and Pops aren't the only ones who can take on Jedi and come out unscathed. I'm sure there are other charactes in the EU that can more than adequately handle the job (I would list some examples, but because I haven't read much of the EU stuff, I can't think of any names off hand).

I am reasoably familiar with other EU stories, and I can't really think of anyone who would have one up on any Jedi who is worth his salt, except perhaps someone like Gallandro, but even then, unless a gunmen or blasterslinger can saturate a Jedi with such overwhelming amounts of firepower, it seems pretty simple how things would turn out.

1) Macho man fires at Jedi.
2) Jedi deflects incoming shots
3) If macho man has not been hit by his own blaster fire (compliments of Jedi sending it right back), he can either shoot again or flee.
4) In either case, the Jedi is most likely to be on him by just normal advancing and parrying or through Burst of Speed.
5) Once in lightsaber range, the would be attacker is pretty much at the Jedi's mercy.
6) Macho man is either unarmed or "unarmed", and in either case, he is no longer so macho.

Fett, both of them, had weapons that could not be redirected back at them. Both of them had a means to escape if all of a sudden a Jedi closed the gap on them. I don't know of anyone else that did that, and aside from Jango misjudging Mace, he surely gave Kenobi a run for his money.

What I don't understand, is the desire to be the badass--the lone gunman who says little and does the impossible. What if said badass gunman goes home to read poetry to his pet poodle or tend to a little flower garden? That badass doesn't seem like such a badass after witnessing that.

I am not quite sure what your point is here. I really don't think Fett was out to be a badass, it just so happened that he was really successful and many regarded him as a badass. If you are upset that all you see of Fett is him standing around acting like a badass, and then see him go down like a punk, I guess I can see your point in asking why all the hype is out there, but then again, if you are looking for a badass in Star Wars that cannot be brought down, someone who can truly live up to their reputation, they don't exist. Sure, both Fetts kind of died in stupid displays of Murphy's Law, but in my opinion, so did the Sith Lord who watched as an unarmed Jedi flipped out of a pit, retrieved a weapon from across the floor, and cut him down the middle before he could react. So did the Sith Lord who had more than twice the experience and training than the boy who beat him down. So did the Sith Lord who got tossed down a pit by his crippled servant. No one is immune to a particularly pathetic demise in Star Wars. In the end, all the villains have to go, and they don't get a choice as to how they go down....maybe with the exception of Vader, who in the end got back up (because he is cool)

Is Boba mysterious for a reason, or is it just because Lucas got lazy? See, I have been reading all the reasons people like this guy, and they center around his badassitude and the air of mystery floating around him. So, what do you think? Do you think he has a reason or is it because Lucas got lazy?

I don't think Lucas had the slightest clue that Boba would have been so popular. It just kind of happened. I would call Lucas alot of things, but lazy is not one of them. If he had a plan back in the late seventies or early eighties for the mysterious bounty hunter, we may never know whether or not they changed from what we saw in Episode II. My guess is that he included the origin of Fett only as a result of his surprising popularity. In either case Lucas created the character for his own reasons, and I would call it a fluke that Fett got so much attention.

As for the list--yeah, I know all that happened cause of him. But, technically Vader was the one who hired him. Before that, he could have been twidling his thumbs. Was it not for Vader's obsession, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Furthermore, he would have done it eventually--with his resources he would have found them. It would just have been a matter of time.

First of all, it matters little with who hired who. Fett did the work. A person who pays a contracting team is not the person who gets the house built. It is the people who actually do the work, who get the credit for the capture of the rebels.

Secondly, Vader catching anyone eventually is purely speculation. Vader's obsession with Luke only eventually led to Luke going to confront Vader, after Luke went within the vicinity where Vader already was. The only reason why those two met up eventually was because a son loved his father, not because Vader was Sherlock Holmes.

P.S. I took three years of shop class in high school. I built character with a bow saw, too. You're not alone.

Certainly within those three years you took a break? ;) If not, you really should consider the consequences of arthritis over having character :)

Fred Getce
8 April 2004, 10:16 AM
Simple.

Chicks dig bad boys.

Look at the back up singers and dancers in ROTJ chatting it up with Boba.

Faraer
8 April 2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Krad-edis
....maybe with the exception of Vader, who in the end got back up (because he is cool)Here, in part, is the rub. George Lucas doesn't think in terms of what's cool. He does think, in part, in terms of neat, and therein is a huge gap in sensibility between Star Wars and many of its fans. (Of course, what made them fans is the same mythic archetypes that George thinks in.)

Krad-edis
8 April 2004, 01:51 PM
Here, in part, is the rub. George Lucas doesn't think in terms of what's cool. He does think, in part, in terms of neat, and therein is a huge gap in sensibility between Star Wars and many of its fans. (Of course, what made them fans is the same mythic archetypes that George thinks in.)

I added in (because he is cool) because I think he is cool (my personal opinion).

But in all honesty, I think George does think about what is cool (maybe not in terms all the time of what he thinks is cool, but with Jar Jar, who knows). I think he is constantly debating over what he thinks is cool and what his audience thinks is cool. I suppose this is good to a certain extent, but I also think he caves in to political correctness and what some fans want to see. Greedo shooting first instead of him being blasted by the good guy without a chance, and the origins of Fett, a minor character (more minor to some than others I guess) are just two examples right off the bat of how he is very aware of what people think of his work and how he caters to what his fans think is cool. He is willing to go back and "correct", or "revamp" his story boards in order to cater to the will of the fans.....unless you think Jango Fett was part of his plan originally?

The man is a master of balancing what he thinks is cool with what he thinks we think is cool. Most of the time he delivers, but then again sometimes we end up with Jar Jar.

Dread Pirate Roberts
8 April 2004, 03:17 PM
Wesly, let me point a few things out to you.

1) Fett's Jetpack is actually fueled by liquid so Drain Energy doesn't work.
2) Mandalorian armor is resistant to lightsabers which douses that flame of hope.

Darth_Cassed
8 April 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Dread Pirate Roberts
1) Fett's Jetpack is actually fueled by liquid so Drain Energy doesn't work.
2) Mandalorian armor is resistant to lightsabers which douses that flame of hope.

It is my opinion that Mandalorian armor having lightsaber resistance is a rule made up for the RPG. I don't think this to be true and find it a ridiculous proposition from WotC.

So in my book the mandalorian armor has no impact on the movie.

However, to each his own ;)

JediJester
9 April 2004, 08:02 AM
His armor was lightsaber proof? Eh? If his armor was lightsaber proof, why was he always so desperate to try and stay out of range of them?

dgswensen
9 April 2004, 10:25 AM
Resistant != proof.

Just because you have some clothes that are "flame resistant" doesn't mean dousing yourself in kerosene and flicking your Bic is a great idea.

So even if Fett's armor was lightsaber resistant, it doesn't mean he would walk right into one.

After all, it's fairly obvious that that armor is weak at the neck :)

johnnyputrid
9 April 2004, 10:48 AM
Anybody remember James Dean? The ladies dug him, guys wanted to be him. The Man With No Name (as in the old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns). Again, chicks dug him, guys wanted to be him. The 'rebel with a cause' schtick makes for cool characters, and Boba Fett most defineately falls into that category. I think a lot of his popularity is due to the fact that he simply looked and acted like a badass. I remember growing up back in the early 80s and Boba Fett costumes were everywhere during Halloween. He's basically the SW version of the Man in Black (not Johnny Cash, mind you), the opposite of the goody-goody hero. And doesn't everbody love a good villian?

I don't think we need any deeper reasoning other than to say that Jango and Boba Fett are simply cool to a whole lot of people. And the fact that the Fetts can hang with Jedi in a fight, despite the presence of Mr. Murphy, makes them even more appealing.

Krad-edis said it all about George's ideas on coolness. If we discount Jar Jar, he's got a pretty good track record for cool ideas.

Dread Pirate Roberts
9 April 2004, 11:10 AM
His armor is resistant, not proof. And as shown in EPII lightsabers fit between the armor plates.

Krad-edis
9 April 2004, 12:37 PM
It seems obvious that Jango had little protection from lightsabers, especially around the neck region.

Fett's armor in D6 is Str+3D for energy attacks (+4D against physical). His strength (3D+2), would be used in combination with the armor in order to resist the energy lightsaber damage, and the two together are quite an astonishing amount of protection considering it is still relatively light armor. Would that be enough to stop a lightsaber? A lightsaber blade by it self back in the day of D6 was 5D worth of damage. A relatively unskilled or new Jedi Padawan would be able to hack at Fett, and Fett may be able to get away relatively unscathed, especially if the Jedi was not skilled enough to utilize Lightsaber Combat. A Jedi Knight or Master would easily be able to produce enough damage from his or her lightsaber blade with Lightsaber Combat to where he or she could double the 6D+2 in protection that Fett wears.

So, an untrained wielder or a Jedi who cannot use Lightsaber Combat or the Force (perhaps because of ysalamiri), may find the armor is resistant to the blade itself, but not in the hands of a skilled Jedi Knight or Master. In either case, the armor is not lightsaber proof. I have never seen anything to say that it is.

Fett's armor seems to be even less powerful in D20. Dad has 5 points of DR, and son has 4 points of DR. I see nothing saying the sets of armor are lightsaber proof or anything about lightsabers not ignoring the DR of the Fett's armor. In short, it seems pretty clear that even a brand spanking new Jedi could easily carve himself a Fett steak if Fett gets too close.

I don't know where that hype came from about the Fett's having lightsaber proof armor (is it a rule somewhere, or someone doing some homebrewing?), and after looking at the two system's handling of Fett's armor, it seems that the sets of armor are not even very resistant, especially to someone who has been training for a long time with a lightsaber. I have never considered the armor to be the ultimate in protection (even though it is pretty decent). I always thought of the armor as being a way for both of them to carry a wide assortment of weapons...to the point to where they could never thought to be disarmed until they had their armor off.

Jango did the right thing by trying to keep the lightsaber away from Kenobi....He must have gotten a solid bumb on the head from that Reek that affected his judgement with Mace. Once that jet pack was out of commission, he should have just dropped the blaster. He wasn't thinking clearly, and as we can all see, he really lost his head.

Vanger Chevane
9 April 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JediJester
His armor was lightsaber proof? Eh? If his armor was lightsaber proof, why was he always so desperate to try and stay out of range of them?

The answer is quite simple:

"Master, whats the best way to win a fight?" "Best way, win fight, no get hit."

If your opponent wears themselves down by attemting to hurt you & failing to connect, taking them down is that much easier and the reputation for doing so that much better. Bounty Hunters in particular live or die by their reputation as much as skill. Also the (apparently) Lightsabre-proof Vonduun Crab Armor worn by Yuuzhan Vong warriors has not stopped Jedi (and probably New Sith) from killing the wearer with a Lightsabre. Makes it more difficult, but not thoroughly impossible.

Any protective item loses some capacity when used, plus repairing Mandalorian Armor has got to be not only heinously expensive, but quite intricate as well. Replacement parts are almost impossible to locate & acquire.

With the amount of scratches, dents, and the odd rusty spot or two on Boba's armor, especially when compared to Jango's, he obviously wasn't keeping it in prime condition.

Given the state of most his gear, it's not for lack of maintenance, but most likely lack of knowledge or funding to have it done.

carth_onasi
12 April 2004, 02:03 AM
Well the reason I, like many others, think Fett is "da bomb" is basically because he can smack just about anyone in the galaxy. Sure, there are one or two people he misses out on, but he just so good and lethal.

Also if you're reading the "Boba Fett" books from Scholastic you can see he has a very interesting childhood...he gets screwed around so many times in the first few books its no wonder he's as ruthless as he is...

proxima centauri
12 April 2004, 11:01 AM
If Fett's armor is lightsaber resistant, then Jango was pretty dumb to have left his neck uncovered ;)

Come on...

Wesly Senesca
12 April 2004, 11:05 AM
Fett, both of them, had weapons that could not be redirected back at them. Both of them had a means to escape if all of a sudden a Jedi closed the gap on them. I don't know of anyone else that did that, and aside from Jango misjudging Mace, he surely gave Kenobi a run for his money.

Okay, I think we're focusing a little too much on Fett vs Jedi. After a little deliberation, I remembered one EU character who wiped the floor with Fett 2.0 at his own game: Kyle Katarn. Granted he did become a Jedi later in his storyline, and the battle was in a video game, but the confrontation nonetheless still happened. The battle was even lopsided towards Fett due to his jetpack, but Katarn won out with no flashlight or Force powers. If you want a Star Wars badass (with or without a flashlight) I give you Kyle Katarn.

If you are upset that all you see of Fett is him standing around acting like a badass, and then see him go down like a punk, I guess I can see your point in asking why all the hype is out there, but then again, if you are looking for a badass in Star Wars that cannot be brought down, someone who can truly live up to their reputation, they don't exist.

Yes they do--Kyle Katarn. That is my point--punks don't deserve respect. I think Samuel L. Jackson soemhow knows this and specifically asked Lucas not to die like a punk. From all of my wirting classes, I've learned that everything in a story is in place for a reason. Both Fetts were small characters that helped move the story along. They were even involved with major events in the storyline, but they both went down in rather anti-climactic ways. That's gotta say something about what they were meant for, doesn't it? I don't know about the rest you guys out there in Holonet-land, but their deaths showed me that they weren't greatly important to the storyline as main characters. As far as Murphy's Law goes--well, nothing happens in a story of any length because of Murphy's Law. Everything has meaning. Granted it was accidental, but don't you think it was rather ironic or even poetic that Fett died at the hands of the man he was sent to capture? Live by the sword, die by the sword, right? His dangerous profession finally caught up with him in Jedi. Using Murphy's Law as an excuse to kill off a character in a setting of high adventure is a sign of a weak autho, and I don't think the Fetts' deaths were because of Murphy's Law.

I would call Lucas alot of things, but lazy is not one of them.

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Wesly Senesca
12 April 2004, 11:07 AM

Okay, I think we're focusing a little too much on Fett vs Jedi. After a little deliberation, I remembered one EU character who wiped the floor with Fett 2.0 at his own game: Kyle Katarn. Granted he did become a Jedi later in his storyline, and the battle was in a video game, but the confrontation nonetheless still happened. The battle was even lopsided towards Fett due to his jetpack, but Katarn won out with no flashlight or Force powers. If you want a Star Wars badass (with or without a flashlight) I give you Kyle Katarn.

If you are upset that all you see of Fett is him standing around acting like a badass, and then see him go down like a punk, I guess I can see your point in asking why all the hype is out there, but then again, if you are looking for a badass in Star Wars that cannot be brought down, someone who can truly live up to their reputation, they don't exist.

Yes they do--Kyle Katarn. That is my point--punks don't deserve respect. I think Samuel L. Jackson soemhow knows this and specifically asked Lucas not to die like a punk. From all of my wirting classes, I've learned that everything in a story is in place for a reason. Both Fetts were small characters that helped move the story along. They were even involved with major events in the storyline, but they both went down in rather anti-climactic ways. That's gotta say something about what they were meant for, doesn't it? I don't know about the rest you guys out there in Holonet-land, but their deaths showed me that they weren't greatly important to the storyline as main characters. As far as Murphy's Law goes--well, nothing happens in a story of any length because of Murphy's Law. Everything has meaning. Granted it was accidental, but don't you think it was rather ironic or even poetic that Fett died at the hands of the man he was sent to capture? Live by the sword, die by the sword, right? His dangerous profession finally caught up with him in Jedi. Using Murphy's Law as an excuse to kill off a character in a setting of high adventure is a sign of a weak author, and I don't think the Fetts' deaths were because of Murphy's Law.

I would call Lucas alot of things, but lazy is not one of them.

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

carth_onasi
12 April 2004, 11:17 AM

Okay, I think we're focusing a little too much on Fett vs Jedi. After a little deliberation, I remembered one EU character who wiped the floor with Fett 2.0 at his own game: Kyle Katarn.

But that's Kyle! He wipes the floor with anyone :katarn:

Jaden Korr also smacked up Fett pretty bad on Ord Mantell.

Wesly Senesca
12 April 2004, 11:47 AM
Sorry about the double post. Must have double clicked or something.

Dread Priate Roberts

Fett's Jetpack is actually fueled by liquid so Drain Energy doesn't work.

Unless he's got a hydrolic gas pedal in his suit, he would still need circuitry to power the jetpack. In fact, due to the small nature of the circuitry, the Drain Energy check would be that much easier than before.

Krad-edis, I second you on the Vader = cool part. He's so cool, that he had six movies made to chronicle his life, from beginning to end.:P

Certainly within those three years you took a break? If not, you really should consider the consequences of arthritis over having character

Dude, using a handsaw isn't that bad as long as you're using it right. Besides, I went to one of the best public schools in the parish (our version of county--weird, isn't it?), and we had some very well kept and relatively new power tools--especially the planer-jointer and the router table.

The man is a master of balancing what he thinks is cool with what he thinks we think is cool. Most of the time he delivers, but then again sometimes we end up with Jar Jar.

Yeah, I think Jar Jar was a bad attempt at recreating C-3PO--or at least a brain fart or something.

Fred Getce

Simple.

Chicks dig bad boys.

Look at the back up singers and dancers in ROTJ chatting it up with Boba.

Yeah, but they don't settle down with 'em. Bad boys don't usually last long--look at what happened to Fett.

Wesly Senesca
12 April 2004, 11:52 AM
But that's Kyle! He wipes the floor with anyone

Precisely why I said he is a badass. Need I say more?

Darth Fierce
13 April 2004, 03:39 AM
Which brings me to a question...why Kyle Katarn? I mean the guy's not that cool...

coldskier0320
13 April 2004, 05:37 AM
Precisely why I said he is a badass. Need I say more?

But thats in a video game! I mean, you say you understand that, but I mean, thats your character. In order for you to advance, you have to defeat whoever the game designers put in front of you. And that means if they put Fett in front of you, you hafta beat Fett. IMO, that doesnt make the character any lesser or greater of a badass. That said, I dont think it makes Kyle that great. I think they dont give Fett enough credit in video games, and if you rate him by saying, "well i beat him in (insert video game here)!" Then its no wonder you dont think he's that great.

Solo666
13 April 2004, 05:37 AM
Boba Fett is a loner, which appeals to us who look at the movies and see how weak most of the main characters are, weak without "emotional support." They're all fine and good, but one-on-one Boba could take any one of them, except maybe in a starship, i'm not sure. Even Luke cannot withstand the sheer power of Boba Fett, considering the lightsaber won't get close enough for a swing. Also, Boba Fett, being the most revered of all bounty hunters, tends to draw as much attention as someone like Yoda would, except the populace tend to be more frightened if Fett's on their tail than if Yoda is. And Boba doesn't hesitate to sever ties- or throats- and matches the same psychological desire many of us
Kyle Katarn- didn't he leave the Order, and then be a Jedi Master with only 2 levels of Jedi? I saw him on Wizards.com, other than that I think I saw him a couple times in NJO, don't know much about him.
I'm still hoping to see Jar Jar die next movie, he is actually a Dark Jedi hiding his motives and I don't care what Lucas says.
Boba Fett kicks ass, that's all I need to say. Now that you mention him, I think I'm dragging him into my campaign to take this ex-pirate Jedi...

Solo666
13 April 2004, 05:45 AM
"well i beat him in (insert video game here)!"
Characters in the game are meant to be beat by you, anyway

Fred Getce
13 April 2004, 08:43 AM
Yeah, but they don't settle down with 'em. Bad boys don't usually last long--look at what happened to Fett.

Didn't say that they did, but I wonder how many little fetts may be out there running around the galaxy.

:evilgrin:

I think many GMs in the NJO can take that little bit of info and run with it.

Wouldn't it be something to encounter Boba Fetts daughter? She also happens to be a bounty hunter who seduces a PC to get close to her bounty mark. BHUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wesly Senesca
13 April 2004, 11:33 AM
Boba Fett kicks ass, that's all I need to say. Now that you mention him, I think I'm dragging him into my campaign to take this ex-pirate Jedi...
For any PCs in this game, I soemly appologize for the mosnter I have unwittingly set upon you. That being said, better you than me.:P

But thats in a video game!
Hey, video game characters need love, too. Besides, some of those games were made into comic books, and the entire storyline was entered into the EU continuum. He's in the sourcebooks, and he's even mentioned in the NJO series (can't remember which one), but he's in the EU regardless of whether or not it was a video game.

I think they dont give Fett enough credit in video games
You're probably right, though. The first Dark Forces game wasn't that different from any other Doom clone other than it had junping puzzles. But still, it was like a story you could participate in. Of course Kyle had to beat him, the story was already planned out before the game was played.

Another thing is that Clone boy is seriously screwed up in the head. He saw his father die right in front of him, and according to carth_onasi, the rest of his childhood was no fun either. I certainly don't see the appeal of a sick and twisted psyche--even if it happens to be a badass.

carth_onasi
14 April 2004, 01:23 AM
here's a nice quote about Fett from the end of one of the issues of Empire:

"There goes the most evil man in the Galaxy."

"No, not evil...he's little more than a machine, a tool to do a job. He's a man with no heart, no feelings, no interest other than the price on another man's head. We at least have something worth living and dying for. I pity Boba Fett."

Wesly Senesca
16 April 2004, 11:44 AM
carth_onasi, that is a great quote. And, yes, I do pity him. His life can be likened to that of a cubicle worker (albeit very, very violent). All he does is his job, nothing more, nothing else. That's a rather bleak life style in my opinion.

JediJester
16 April 2004, 12:26 PM
You've got to admit though that it is a simple lifestyle. No relationships to complicate it. No friends wrangling you into their stupid schemes or relying on you to bail them out of the stupid schemes. No responsibilities to anyone beyond yourself. All that remains is you and focusing on becoming the best at what you do. Hmmmm... put like that, he sounds almost like some sort of monk :P.

Wesly Senesca
19 April 2004, 06:50 PM
Hmmmm... put like that, he sounds almost like some sort of monk :P.
Yes, a killer death-monk with tricked out "death-mobile" armor, and a dire hatred of all things Jedi.