PDA

View Full Version : SWG - New Hope

Vjerzag
8 April 2004, 01:31 PM
Hi,
I belive lot of role players where tottaly disapointed abour RP in Star Wars Galaxies. But it seems that this is over. New RP comunity in Mos Eisley is growing into best RP that u can get on SWG. Over 200 people live there theirs characters. All informations are available at:

www.swg-moseisley.com
and on: forum.swg-moseisley.com

Nova Spice
8 April 2004, 02:24 PM
I use to be a big advocate of SWG. Not anymore. It's obvious to me that the Devs have no vision for where they want to take the game. The very fact that they implement every suggestion the player base throws out goes to show that the Devs haven't the slightest idea about what to do for content.

I found that in my nearly nine month tenure on Galaxies, role-playing was nigh impossible. With people running around with names like ApolloX, BooBoo, and BadBoyRunnin, Galaxies became a virtual chat room rather than an actual game.

I elaborated on all these things and more in a thread I posted a couple days ago on the Galaxies forums. Thankfully, I've cancelled my account and look to be gearing up for Battlefield: Vietnam and PlanetSide action soon. :)

Vjerzag
8 April 2004, 04:42 PM
Well since the game is public u cant expect that all players will be RP. But with lot of efort from pople who run community some thinks are geting bether. RP is the way u play your character, and with little help and few friends story will unfold. I dont care about grinders and gamers BUT there is in one place over 200 people that live their characters there (sometime is action, quest or same other event but some day u just hang around in cantina and talk with people) in that life. So if u are one of players who like to max his character fast I can understand, but u can also try to live there. Mos Eisley is open for all!

Faraer
9 April 2004, 09:00 AM
Nova,

I have some MMORPG experience, haven't played Galaxies, but find online gaming and communities rather fascinating.

I had a look at that thread, and don't particularly see why some people's good experiences are denial because you've had bad ones. I don't doubt the game has major problems, based on both the code and the playerbase, though. I'm quite sure Raph Koster has a very strong vision for the game, having read a lot of his stuff online, and it seems more likely his bosses are mandating the shapeless short-term crowd-pleasing, if that's what it is.

AzmoDanakar
9 April 2004, 11:43 AM
Planetside is fun, I played that for a while.

Now my new baby is City of Heroes, it is assuredly different.

Vjerzag
9 April 2004, 12:06 PM
Hi, me again. Well I must announce that in Mos Eisley first School is open.
It is Teras Kasi school.
All interested players can find more information about the school on:

http://www.swg-moseisley.com/kraytschool.html

and in next issue of Mos Eisley Reporter.

Vjerzag
9 April 2004, 12:09 PM
Faraer, you got right.
It is true that most of people are not RP, but those people who play their characters that are real power of RP. If u will join us come to Mos Eisley on Chimaera server and live there.

Ardent
11 April 2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
I use to be a big advocate of SWG. Not anymore. It's obvious to me that the Devs have no vision for where they want to take the game. The very fact that they implement every suggestion the player base throws out goes to show that the Devs haven't the slightest idea about what to do for content.

Actually, it's more about pleasing a depressingly small playerbase compared to projections...the Devs want more players so they can meet the quotas set by the suits...but they flat-out overestimated the Star Wars community...we like quality games. Not tripe.

I found that in my nearly nine month tenure on Galaxies, role-playing was nigh impossible. With people running around with names like ApolloX, BooBoo, and BadBoyRunnin, Galaxies became a virtual chat room rather than an actual game.

I haven't yet encountered an MMOG that isn't like this...with the exception of NWN which sort of straddles all the fences at once.

I elaborated on all these things and more in a thread I posted a couple days ago on the Galaxies forums. Thankfully, I've cancelled my account and look to be gearing up for Battlefield: Vietnam and PlanetSide action soon. :)

Wewt PlanetSide! It's still laggy tho, bud.

Nova Spice
12 April 2004, 03:52 PM
Wewt PlanetSide! It's still laggy tho, bud.

That's aight. The servers are currently seeing some maintenance right now. But, it's worth it. PlanetSide is one of those games that draws you back in.

I bought Core Combat yesterday and played for a while last night on Emerald. I figure it's my sworn duty to uphold the Vanu at all costs! :D

I take it that you're still one of the Purple People, mate? :P

Ardent
13 April 2004, 09:13 AM
I bought Core Combat yesterday and played for a while last night on Emerald. I figure it's my sworn duty to uphold the Vanu at all costs! :D

I take it that you're still one of the Purple People, mate? :P

I don't even know what faction Hostile Takeover is playing as right now (I don't board lurk on the HT forums any more)...when I get an opportunity to play I play New Conglomerate. Of course...I'm a vehicle pilot & combat engineer so it doesn't really matter what faction I play with...my skills remain more or less static.

Dread Pirate Roberts
15 April 2004, 11:20 AM
Ok. What is this Star Wars Galaxies game you speak of?

Ronin
5 May 2004, 04:25 AM
Never heard of it?
It's a MMORG...Massive Multi-player Online Roleplaying Game
Set in the rebellion era.

Dread Pirate Roberts
5 May 2004, 01:15 PM
Only online? or can it be played over LAN too? or is it some main server that hosts it online?

Admiral_Atredies
5 May 2004, 02:20 PM
Anyone who still recieves SoE updates via e-mail, a newsletter came out today with some big stuff. Apparently a big overhaul is due over the summer, adressing alot of problems fans complained about. Who knows, I may check out the game when this space expansion comes out, but I'm still wary.

Nova Spice
5 May 2004, 04:35 PM
Only online? or can it be played over LAN too? or is it some main server that hosts it online?

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. How have you not heard of Star Wars Galaxies? :?

And SWG is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game). Have you not heard of those either? 8o

Dread Pirate Roberts
5 May 2004, 06:01 PM
I have heard of MMO's but do not have the internet on my personal comp even though i'm fifteen. (My sister got it when she was 13 grrrrrrrrrr........). Moving on. I therefore can not install games on the comp i use for internet as it belongs to my dad's company. The result is that i am not well versed in the internet world and am wondering if games such as Galaxies and Planetside can be played over a LAN (which i have with my bro murdoc).

Nova Spice
6 May 2004, 07:09 PM
I have heard of MMO's but do not have the internet on my personal comp even though i'm fifteen. (My sister got it when she was 13 grrrrrrrrrr........). Moving on. I therefore can not install games on the comp i use for internet as it belongs to my dad's company. The result is that i am not well versed in the internet world and am wondering if games such as Galaxies and Planetside can be played over a LAN (which i have with my bro murdoc).

In short, no. Both SWG and PlanetSide are internet only games. Initially, SWG was a really cool game. Now, I've lost all faith in it.

PlanetSide on the other hand.... :D

Ardent
7 May 2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
PlanetSide on the other hand.... :D

Is fun but it's no Call of Duty. ;)

Dread Pirate Roberts
10 May 2004, 06:54 AM
Cursed game-makers! They think that everyone has internet access so they make internet only games. Meanwhile those of us without are left in the dark. I saw the box for galaxies i think once. How exactly is it played?

Maynard
10 May 2004, 10:26 AM
Cursed game-makers! They think that everyone has internet access so they make internet only games. Meanwhile those of us without are left in the dark.

Don't worry. All the MMORPGs I have played have been filled with morons that have never heard of a very important word; Roleplaying. If I ever started playing SWG, I would start to cry the day I saw someone named Gandalf, I'm certain there is a person named that on SWG...

Dread Pirate Roberts
10 May 2004, 03:40 PM
[i]I would start to cry the day I saw someone named Gandalf, I'm certain there is a person named that on SWG... [/B]

Heck, I'd go hostile on their character for blasphemy!

JTessier3
17 May 2004, 01:58 PM
All right everyone... not everyone is an online gamer. I, for one, have only played one RPG online and it's City of Heroes right now. I have KOTOR ready for installation at home, but have yet to install.

Gimme time and I'll do it. So be patient with people who have questions like that. Isn't this forum about answering questions and helping each other out? LOL

Let's not get onto someone cause he/she isn't playing the online games. But I digress...

As always.... KEEP ON SWAGGING!!!!