PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to buy BioWare?

carth_onasi
21 April 2004, 08:03 AM
And make KotOR2 an XBOX exclusive game???

http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000706

mobilise, people we can't have us PC gamers deprived of KotOR2!! :hansolo:

Jedi_Staailis
21 April 2004, 08:40 AM
For now it's just a rumor, and I certainly hope that it doesn't end up being true. If it is, I hope Microsoft has the smarts to release the game for PC. Because great game or not, I'm not buying an Xbox to play one game, and not only because of the cost. I don't want to be supporting this sort of "exclusive to one platform" marketing strategy.

Bigity_B
21 April 2004, 09:18 AM
Nevermind just KOTOR2, what about all the other Bioware titles. *shudder*

This would be bad, as I doubt I will be upgrading all my damn consoles to the next generation again.

Dread Pirate Roberts
21 April 2004, 01:45 PM
THere are'nt enough swear words in this Galaxy and others to express my feelings in this. So i'll just get on with it.

CURSE YOU MICROSOFT!!! YOU TOO GATES!!!

THERE IS NO WAY THAT ANY GAME SHOULD BE EXCLUSIVE TO ONE SYSTEM. I HAVE'NT EVEN PLAYED KotOR SO I AM EXTREMELY ANNONYED THAT I WOULD HAVE TO BUY AN X-BOX JUST TO PLAY IT. MICROSOFT SHOULD HAVE STAYED MAKING COMPUTERS RATHER THAN FORCING US TO BUY THEIR CURSED X-BOX JUST TO PLAY SOMEONE ELSE'S GAMES.

P.S. I HAVE NEVER APPROVED OF WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

Talon Razor 'GM'
21 April 2004, 02:05 PM
Errr.....DPD....you do know that KotOR is on PC, right? And that's its one of the best games on PC right now too.

I think that's its a rumor, but one that can easily turn true. I doubt they'll do it only for the Xbox though. Can't resist getting more money if they make it avaible to the PC gamers.

Dread Pirate Roberts
21 April 2004, 02:22 PM
I know that it is Knights of the Old Republic and i saw a friend play it once i believe. He was on a level where you were fighting Genosians. Anyway i heard it was great but i dont have the money to buy it for X-Box.

Vanger Chevane
21 April 2004, 02:25 PM
Given the XBox is basicially an nVidia-chipset mini-PC, emulating/translating the runtime environment/software to run on a real PC shouldn't be all that difficult.

I'm surprised it hadn't been done yet. Of course, the graphics would su-diddly-uck since it's designed around a 320-line non-HD TV...

Jedi_Staailis
21 April 2004, 02:29 PM
He was on a level where you were fighting Genosians.
There are no Geonosians in KotOR, actually. You do go to Korriban, which looks a little like Geonosis, but that's all I can think of. I'm not sure what game that was, since Republic Commando isn't out yet, and it's the only one I can think of with the Geonosians.

Dread Pirate Roberts
21 April 2004, 02:32 PM
I still wanna playit dangit!

Vash Knives
21 April 2004, 02:53 PM
In a world without fences, who need's Gates?

Nova Spice
21 April 2004, 03:52 PM
MicroSoft purchasing BioWare makes little difference to anything at all if you ask me.

Notice that MicroSoft is both vested in the PC and X-Box. And, KOTOR is already available for both.

All this means, is that the BioWare team has been integrated under MicroSoft. This has no effect upon KOTOR or any other BioWare titles, except that instead of their games being created in BioWare labs, they're being created in MicroSoft labs and under MicroSoft's name.

You're all making much ado about nothing.

Dread Pirate Roberts
21 April 2004, 03:57 PM
But its so much fun:(

Darth_Cassed
21 April 2004, 06:31 PM
Halo was an Xbox-exclusive game. It swept the market and was released for PC. KOTOR was an Xbox-exclusive game. It swept the market and was released for PC.

KOTOR 2 will be an Xbox-exclusive game. It will sweep the market and be released for PC.

I am, however an Xbox fan. Xbox fan or not, Microsoft is dominating the companies slowly, and releasing the best for PC.

Fret not.

Jedi_Staailis
22 April 2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed
KOTOR was an Xbox-exclusive game.
Actually, this was never the case. The game began life as a PC game, but fairly early in the development, it was decided that the game should be released on both the PC and Xbox, but with an Xbox release first. The PC release was always planned, and wasn't a reflection of KotOR's popularity. Yes, there are examples of very popular games being ported, but the quality and timing of these ports are not always reliable.

Another interesting thing to note on this topic is that there's been quite a bit of speculation that Obsidian will be the team that develops KotOR 2. I don't know if there's a connection between that and BioWare potentially being bought, but it did strike me as odd at first when the reports starting flying that BioWare wouldn't be in charge of the sequel. Now it makes a sort of sense. We'll see if any of that speculation pans out. :)

carth_onasi
22 April 2004, 08:53 AM
still, my worry is that M$ will use KotOR and NWN sequels as leverage to make us buy an X-Box. The originals were just too good, and I'm sure many, many people would purchase an X-Box just to get at the sequals.

A bit like Rogue Leader and the game cube.:bothan:

Vanger Chevane
22 April 2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by carth_onasi
still, my worry is that M$ will use KotOR and NWN sequels as leverage to make us buy an X-Box. The originals were just too good, and I'm sure many, many people would purchase an X-Box just to get at the sequals.

A bit like Rogue Leader and the game cube.:bothan:

Naaah. If anything I'll pay someone else for a well thought-out & written XB Emulator/RTE that runs on my real PC.

:leia: "The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers." :P

Dr_Worm
22 April 2004, 05:45 PM
I really hate this news for two reasons:

1) I think that the size and power of microsoft has made them feel immune to consumer dissatisfaction. This has led to a history of releasing flawed products with the attitude that they will "patch it later".

2) I think that Microsoft's domination of the market place makes for an unhealthy block of capital power. Each time they buy another company they are less forced to compete. It is compitition that breeds innovation.

On the other hand:

I woud wet my pants for a version of NWN for the Xbox, if (and only if) it encompased the same versatility as the PC game. I think a true RPG in the D&D vein would really rock. Of course there is no reason that Bioware as an indepentant company could not produce such a game.

Bigity_B
23 April 2004, 05:59 AM
I don't want my PC games to be ported from the Xbox. There are too many good things left out when that happens, unless the port is one of those deals where they take 2 years to do it (do it right that is).

I don't wany my PC games, especially RPGs, dumbed down so they can run on a gamepad and console.

johnnyputrid
23 April 2004, 10:09 PM
As someone who uses my PC for everything BUT gaming, this doesn't bother me a bit.;)

But since KotOR has basically blown up on the PC, I doubt the sequel will be PC-only. It will most likely follow the same route as the original, and remain an Xbox-only game for a certain length of time. I think the "Xbox-only" tag is just more promotional in nature. More and more games are being released on multiple platforms and PC, so I wouldn't fear. And if the rumors and info nuggets are true, Bioware is handing off the development of KotOR 2 to Obsidian, but leaving the basic gameplay framework intact. Even though video game sequels have a bad tendency to suck, I'm still excited about the prospect of a new KotOR sometime soon.

By the way, if any of you tune into the Official Site or TFN.net, then you may have checked out the OT DVD set preview features. One of them is an Xbox demo of Star Wars Battlefront, but there's another more tantalizing tidbit: a behind the scenes feature on a new Episode III game featuring...Jedi, of course. The featurette will discuss how the game designers went about "creating the ultimate Jedi experience". Will we get the chance to finally play as Vader and whoop some pixelated butt? Hurry up September 21st!

Ardent
24 April 2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
But since KotOR has basically blown up on the PC, I doubt the sequel will be PC-only. It will most likely follow the same route as the original, and remain an Xbox-only game for a certain length of time. I think the "Xbox-only" tag is just more promotional in nature. More and more games are being released on multiple platforms and PC, so I wouldn't fear. And if the rumors and info nuggets are true, Bioware is handing off the development of KotOR 2 to Obsidian, but leaving the basic gameplay framework intact. Even though video game sequels have a bad tendency to suck, I'm still excited about the prospect of a new KotOR sometime soon.

That depends heavily on what sort of agreement was made initially. I have little faith that the next KotOR won't be an X-box first release like this one, but I also have absolute faith that it will eventually see the PC platform solely because Microsoft is in the business of making PCs desirable.

By the way, if any of you tune into the Official Site or TFN.net, then you may have checked out the OT DVD set preview features. One of them is an Xbox demo of Star Wars Battlefront, but there's another more tantalizing tidbit: a behind the scenes feature on a new Episode III game featuring...Jedi, of course. The featurette will discuss how the game designers went about "creating the ultimate Jedi experience". Will we get the chance to finally play as Vader and whoop some pixelated butt? Hurry up September 21st!

Not terribly excited, honestly. My faith in LA's ability to make a good Jedi game is (way) down...forget about a great one. I think their focus on making great FPS games again is good. Battlefront will, at least, be a great multiplayer experience (even if the engine will undoubtedly be heavily flawed) and Republic Commando looks to harken back to the days of...well...days lost playing Dark Forces.

RemyLeBeau
28 April 2004, 12:30 PM
I think I have a solution to this problem...
(This is just theory, but still-)
Since, just like Vanger up there said,
the X-Box is pretty much a computer with
a video card the size of Texas, I propose
we design a self-replicating kill virus to be spread
throughout all XBox-Online users, and once it is, it
Completely destroys the XBox from the inside out!
Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-Haaaaah!
My friends will help me! Hahahahahahaaah!
:vader: :emperor: :plokoon: <-My friends, and me -> B)
Yeah, still a theory... Until July 25th...

Dread Pirate Roberts
28 April 2004, 01:06 PM
I'll help!

Vanger Chevane
28 April 2004, 02:06 PM
Found an interesting bit of news pointed to from a diff site follow the embedded link to the full story:

"KOTOR 2
No one can deny the significance of having Knights of the Old Republic exclusively (on consoles anyways) available for the Xbox (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/454/454215p1.html?fromint=1)."

The parethesized "on consoles anyways" implies that KotOR II will indeed be published for the PC. Since the original KotOR is a PC title, and incredibly popular, not making the follow-on a PC title as well would be to cripple a product that promises to be very profitable.

Ardent
29 April 2004, 09:33 AM
Actually, a recent article confirmed that KotOR II will be Xbox-only, at least initially. So I'll stick to my hunch that after a month or two of Xbox-only MS will release it to PC. Not surprisingly, they made a lot more money off PC users than Xbox owners.

Treefrog
4 May 2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by RemyLeBeau
I think I have a solution to this problem...
(This is just theory, but still-)
Since, just like Vanger up there said,
the X-Box is pretty much a computer with
a video card the size of Texas, I propose
we design a self-replicating kill virus to be spread
throughout all XBox-Online users, and once it is, it
Completely destroys the XBox from the inside out!
Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-Haaaaah!
My friends will help me! Hahahahahahaaah!
:vader: :emperor: :plokoon: <-My friends, and me -> B)
Yeah, still a theory... Until July 25th...

No offense, but that could be construed as threatening. I have an XBox, and a PC. So are you going to target PC users too?!?

Darth_Cassed
4 May 2004, 08:13 AM
Send a virus through XBox Live and you infect computers too. Not to mention that not all users have Xbox Live, and even if they did, many users have warranties. Replace the XBox ;)

In any case, I'm not much of a KotOR fan, but I'm sure it will be released for PC.

I'm also sure that when KotOR II and Halo 2 come out, both the originals will finally go Platinum for $20 on XBox.

xavant trollian
5 May 2004, 05:22 AM
...& now a few words from this side of the rogues gallery...

:emperor: :vader:

At last, the true visage of MicroSoft emerges, thus changing
their marketing scheme and name. MicroSoft, through their own
senatorial commission, has chosen a new name, and are now known
as ...

MicroSith

Vanger Chevane
5 May 2004, 02:38 PM
LucasArts' Offical Page (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/) located from a story on Starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/news20040504.html)

It's clearly stated that KotOR II will be both an Xbox & PC Product.

Y'all can relax now. :P

Darth Matt
23 May 2004, 04:11 PM
I don't care either way...I played KOTOR for XBOX bcuz XBOX is the ultimate game system...It doesn't really matter to me cuz ill play it either way...and all those who are dissing XBOX are just mad cuz you don't have it...u guys don't know wut ur missing...

oh...and of course their still gonna release it for PC...wuts the point of just stopping the production of a game???? They would lose a lot more money even if people who don't have an XBOX, and are going to buy it for the PC,all bought an XBOX and the game instead...KOTOR 2 is practicly finished from wut i hear.

Kale Jerre
10 June 2004, 07:19 AM
*Never mind*