PDA

View Full Version : No More "SW Insider" for you Mr Foreigner!

Reverend Strone
29 April 2004, 02:54 PM
Small print in the recent Hyperspace media fanfare reveals that the Star Wars Insider magazine will, once again, no longer be available outside of the US and Canada. Spain, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK all have their own magazine, but New Zealand, Australia and many others, of course, do not.

A petition has been launched to allow Star Wars fans to voice their disappointment at Lucasfilm's move to restrict Star Wars Insider magazine subscriptions to North America.

If you care to, go to the 'Star Wars Insider for All' petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?sw2004&1) to make your opinion count. You do not need to be a current or past subscriber to the magazine to add your "signature". This denial-of-service is an unfortunate step backwards from Lucasfilm's recent position, and is insulting to those who have supported them since their inception.

Please help us foreigners keep feeding our addiction!

Korpil
29 April 2004, 03:30 PM
While I live in Mexico, the new "setup" does not affect me at all, since I have it dropped on a PO box and then exported to me... but ... definitely it was not a good idea at all... I appreciate the effort on delivering both services at once, but it was a very bold idea...

I'm not comfortable at all, so I'll still vote!

Nova Spice
1 May 2004, 01:37 PM
There's really only one word to describe your predicament, Rev.

Ouch. :(

Wade Trenor
1 May 2004, 03:37 PM
I get Insider here in Australia through Kings Comics. Since I'm a member there, I also get a 10% discount! However, the attitude with Lucasanything pisses me off. I mean, fan club members in Canada and the US get subscription to Hyperspace and a poster, etc, while overseas, they just get the Hyperspace membership, but at the same cost?!

I remember Viz comics used to be Australian based (I think), and when they got enough cash, they moved to the US and stopped shipping the comics to Australia!

Maynard
1 May 2004, 04:21 PM
Did anyone say capitalistic dipsh|ts? I know I didn't, but it's what I thought..

Reverend Strone
1 May 2004, 08:16 PM
I think we should remember to go careful on the rhetoric and language here, but it is a sad situation.

Even Hasbro have a similar policy with their Jedi Master Points programme. For years we as collectors have been carefully cutting off and saving the JMPs that come on the back of action figure packets until Hasbro announced last year that they would finally be launching the JMP programme so we could redeem them. Special exclusive procuts would be made available online for collectors to buy with their saved points.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that Hasbro SW action figures are sold worldwide, you have to live in the US or Canada to participate in the programme. That's five odd years of JMP collecting for nothing- in the trash they go. Good to know Hasbro appreciate their customers. :(

Nova Spice
2 May 2004, 08:07 AM
Did anyone say capitalistic dipsh|ts? I know I didn't, but it's what I thought..

Indeed, Rev is correct. Watch the rhetoric. Capitalism is what allowed Star Wars and thousands of other franchises to thrive. Keep that in mind. ;)

Grimace
2 May 2004, 10:45 AM
Hey, Rev, if you really want something, send those JMPs along as well as what you want, up here. I can relay for ya. Call it my "favor back" to ya. ;)

Talonne Hauk
2 May 2004, 01:24 PM
Aw, quit your bellyaching already and just move to the States. :D

Reverend Strone
2 May 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
Hey, Rev, if you really want something, send those JMPs along as well as what you want, up here. I can relay for ya. Call it my "favor back" to ya. ;)

That's mighty kind of you Grimace. I do appreciate the offer. As it stands right now, I'm kinda boycotting the JMP thing on principle, but if that ever changes I'll let you know and might just take you up on that. Many thanks. :)

Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
Aw, quit your bellyaching already and just move to the States.

:D It may yet come to that! :D

Faraer
3 May 2004, 01:43 PM
Availability of Insider in the UK will be restricted to grey imports at places like Borders until Titan Books' contract for the UK Star Wars fan club runs out. I don't know when that'll be.

Master Dao Rin
5 May 2004, 09:08 AM
Hey, it took them 20 odd years just to get them to ship stuff to Canada. Do you know what it's like being a 8 year old little boy and wanting all the coolest SW figures out but them not being shipped outside the US? And the trouble it took to get the first D6 WEG products out, and even that was 3 months after they were released ... And we live on the same continent!!! :raised:

Lucasarts finally started shipping games to Canada in the early 90s.

I feel for ya, Rev.