PDA

View Full Version : Even the actors want Episodes 7-9

Treefrog
15 May 2004, 12:14 PM
I just got the latest SW Insider (#76) in the mail today (go figure.... Paizo Publishing said that my final issue was supposed to be issue #74), and in "Star Sightings" (Page 19, under the Carrie Fisher entry):

"She also recently told Today show host Katie Couric that she wanted to 'play Princess Leia again, at this age,' while pointing to herself."

Maybe if enough of the actors want it, Episodes VII-IX will happen.

Darth Fierce
15 May 2004, 06:01 PM
An interesting quote, but I still believe the likelihood of "Episodes VII-IX" ever coming to fruition is within the range of slim to no chance. Georgie-Boy just turned 60, and has repeated voiced that he feels that he'll be too old and tired to go through putting another trilogy together. Keep in mind that it wouldn't be until likely 2010 before Episode VII would make its appearance, and by that time, George will be at retirement age.

You have to wonder though, what would Episode VII-IX be about? I mean all of the actors/actresses who played the main characters from the original trilogy are too old now to make the plot revolve around the formation of the New Republic. They're even too old for it to be about the Thrawn era. The likeliest concept would be for the final trilogy to be set in post-NJO era times, IMHO. That wouldn't necessarily be bad for those of us who have kept up with reading the SW novels, but for those who rely on the movies for their knowledge on the franchise, it would likely be very hard for them to keep up (given their lack of knowledge of the Vong War).

As hard as it is to say, maybe after Episode III it's just best to leave adventures in a galaxy far, far away to other medias than the big screen...

Darth Fierce :vader:

ij thompson
15 May 2004, 10:02 PM
It wouldn't bother me if Lucas just wrote 'em, and left the execution of the films to a skilled director (in fact, I'd love it).

Now John Williams, there's a man that these films couldn't do without...

Jedi_Shadow
16 May 2004, 01:44 AM
Y'know, Lucas could totally throw out the NJO Era if he really wanted. It's happened before (with Boba Fett) but never on such a grand scale. The whole Lucasfilm franchise (I still laugh at how many people get on Lucas' case for things that the Lucasfilm committee decides) has worked so hard to develop the novels and other Expanded Universe material, it would be a crying shame to see it all vetoed by George Lucas tossing it all into a shredder and writing another trilogy in their place. So while I think Episodes 7-9 would be wonderful to see, I agree with Darth Fierce in saying that the chances of their creation are slim to none.

Maynard
16 May 2004, 02:47 AM
I would be happy to see a TV series instead. Maybe a cartoon like Clone Wars, just a little more realistic (the General Grievous fight looked a bit silly, and Obi-Wan driving a speederbike up a skyscraper...). I fear that any tv-show, cartoon or not, may turn out crap though.

CaamasiJedi49
16 May 2004, 04:15 AM
I personally don't think VII-IX will happen because if my memory serves me well, George said teh the star wars trilogys was about the rise, fall, and eventual redemption of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker by his son. But I could be mistaken, so don't quote me on this.

Caamasi Jedi49:plokoon:

Ronin
16 May 2004, 08:03 AM
I too seriously doubt any further films will be made after ep3...and I *if* GL did wanna make more, I doubt the EU would concern him in the slightest...it's his dream and he'd do whatever he wanted.

...but considering that the prequels just aren't the same as the classic trilogy...and much of the EU is good, but still different from the films....who knows what he'd cook up! :)

Ardent
16 May 2004, 08:20 AM
If GL did do Episodes VII to IX I suspect he'd work to include the EU he likes (IE Tim Zahn's Thrawn trilogy). Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked to see it end well shy of the NJO.

But Harrison Ford has already said he's not interested. In addition, I'd question Carrie Fisher's ability to get back into Leia shape. Mark Hamill would probably be hesitant. It's just unlikely you'd ever get the cast to agree.

Talonne Hauk
16 May 2004, 08:54 AM
I think it's safe to say that if there are further episodes, they would only peripherally (at best) involve the characters from the original trilogy. Simply put, this wouldn't be their adventure. So whether or not they're willing is moot, as the screen time devoted to them would be minimal. And, as said before, the story revolves around Anakin Skywalker and his redemption. It pretty much ends at RoTJ.
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I seriously doubt that any new star wars films will be made after Episode 3.:(

Nova Spice
16 May 2004, 02:10 PM
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I seriously doubt that any new star wars films will be made after Episode 3

Agreed. Once Episode III is released, the story is told and finalized. There's no need for an Episode VII-IX.

But Harrison Ford has already said he's not interested. In addition, I'd question Carrie Fisher's ability to get back into Leia shape. Mark Hamill would probably be hesitant. It's just unlikely you'd ever get the cast to agree.

Another fine point. The fact remains that Harrison Ford is unlikely to agree to do any Star Wars publicity stunts, much less a new line of films.

Ayden Storm
20 May 2004, 11:28 PM
I wonder if Harrison would change his mind if they put a big enough figure out there. Hammil I don't think he would do it, I was at one of his biography sites and it didn't even mention star wars, just something vague about it.

I wouldn't mind seeing another set, if it had the original cast it would have to be post-NJO. I would be seriously disapointed if they got rid of the UE, or simply took some parts of it out. The authors, editors and the people at Lucas Films involved with the books have tried really hard to maintain a continuity, and it would be a shame to throw that away.

Faraer
21 May 2004, 10:31 AM
Here's the point about Episodes VII-IX that I've made before. In order to write them, George Lucas would have to know what happens after the eucatastrophe -- the story after the story, what can meaningfully be shown after the hero's redemption of the cosmos. What happens in a transfigured world in which evil has been destroyed isn't something that our culture, and its idea of what a story is, understands.

If VII-IX did happen they'd certainly have nothing to do with the post-Episode VI EU, which departs from Lucas's ideas in any number of ways (ignoring the final destruction of the Empire and the Sith, to start with).

cheshire
23 May 2004, 10:35 AM
the story after the story, what can meaningfully be shown after the hero's redemption of the cosmos. What happens in a transfigured world in which evil has been destroyed isn't something that our culture, and its idea of what a story is, understands.

Very well stated. If you look at a lot of ancient myths and epics most modern readers find the denumont painful to read because "the story is already over." (Or, so they say, at least.) However, I don't think that Lucas has the talent to do something of a grand epic scale that could better end the work he's already created. If he did another trilogy, it would probably wind up looking like a typical Hollywood sequel that has no real substance.

Faraer
24 May 2004, 10:17 AM
At that moment, Anakin's victory becomes identical to the victory of the galaxy. George obviously realized the story ended too abruptly and added extra scenes of celebration, but I think Star Wars could actually do with five minutes' more aftermath. There are stories that show what happens next with some success: of modern works, I'm thinking the Dune sequels and Wolfe's The Urth of the New Sun; it's no shame to George if he can't or doesn't want to go this step. As bathetic and mythically wrong as the EU's solution of 'more Empire, more bad guys' is, it would be far worse in the cinema.