PDA

View Full Version : Episode III named?!?!?!!!

wolverine
17 May 2004, 10:59 AM
In today's The Sun (17th May issue), on Page 19, it lists the following..

"The long awaited final Star Wars blockbuster will be called Birth of the Empire, movie insiders have revealed.
And the highlights of the space epic will be a thrilling lightsaber clash between Oni-Wan kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin Skywalker (Haden Christensen) while surfing on LAVA.
The Holywood source said: Anakin and Obiwan figt on platforms on the lava. They control these like surfboards.
The sixth movie in the series also features Anakin's transformation into evil Darth Vader, and his baby son, Luke, being smuggled to safety on the deert planet of Tatooine.
The suyrce added, 'theres going to be a big announcement soo. They have tried lots of titles but the mostpopular is Birth of the Emipre'.
The news has already caused excitement among the legions of starwars fans monitoring the development on the internet".

So any one heard anything about this?
Anyone got an inside source to corroborate this????

Kordeth
17 May 2004, 12:42 PM
Ugh.....lava surfing? Excuse me while I perform seppuku.....

Ardent
17 May 2004, 01:03 PM
All I can say is "I knew it!" (in regards to lava surfing) and take any movie title leaked with a grain of salt. Working titles are common, actual release titles are usually last-minute decisions.

Nova Spice
17 May 2004, 01:47 PM
All I can say is "I knew it!" (in regards to lava surfing) and take any movie title leaked with a grain of salt. Working titles are common, actual release titles are usually last-minute decisions.

This is very true. You might recall that Return of the Jedi's title was Blue Harvest. This rumor held up for quite a long time until it changed to Revenge of the Jedi and then to its final incarnation, Return of the Jedi. ;)

Admiral_Atredies
17 May 2004, 03:45 PM
Lava surfing? Lava surfing? While it might not be as asenine as it sounds, Ep. 3 has already begun to loose it for me. Sounds like it could very possibly be rumors, but I'm always wary when GL is in control.

And the working title deal is true. X-Men 2 was simply X2 until a few weeks before release when they added the "X-men United" suffix for marketing reasons.

Kordeth
17 May 2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

This is very true. You might recall that Return of the Jedi's title was Blue Harvest. This rumor held up for quite a long time until it changed to Revenge of the Jedi and then to its final incarnation, Return of the Jedi. ;)

Just a minor correction, Blue Harvest was only the "code name" of RotJ, used to keep snooping fans away from the sets and to keep people from stealing the film prints and the like. It was never going to be the actual title of the movie. I'm pretty sure "Revenge of the Jedi" was a similar deal, a leaked title to make it easy to spot bootleg merchandise.

Yeah, I know, the winkey-smiley probably indicates that you knew that and were being facetious, but I felt like being pedantic. ;)

Darth Fierce
18 May 2004, 03:53 AM
As much as the idea of the "lava surfing duel" struck me as repulsive when I first read this thread, I've begun to realize that it might not be so bad (if the rumor is true), as long as it is handled carefully. The worst possible would be a dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan during the battle as such:

Anakin--Like, I'm so going to fry you in this lava, master...

Obi-Wan--Dude, if you push me in, I'll become something totally more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

:D :P ;)

Darth Fierce :vader:

Ris
18 May 2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Kordeth
... I'm pretty sure "Revenge of the Jedi" was a similar deal, a leaked title to make it easy to spot bootleg merchandise.
Yeah, I know, the winkey-smiley probably indicates that you knew that and were being facetious, but I felt like being pedantic. ;)

Kordeth, "Revenge" wasn't just a decoy title like "Blue Harvest" It was going to be the actual title. "Blue Harvest" was only used when filming. (Put on crew shirts & other things that went on location.) "Revenge," however, was actually used extensively in marketing. I recall as a teenager (when the movies were first released), reading offers on the backs of the 3.5" SW figures (Probably "Empire") for "sneak preview" items for the upcoming "Revenge of the Jedi" movie. When the name change was announced, the reason given out was that George Lucas had decided that revenge wasn't Jedi-like. 8o
(Why, oh, why didn't I get my indulgent dad, who also enjoyed the movies, to buy me some of those toys?):(

Regis
18 May 2004, 09:48 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Lucas had always intended Episode VI to be "Return of the Jedi"; "Revenge" was a little falsity to catch merchandise pirates and such. Problem was, the studios didn't find out about that, so posters and such were made with "Revenge of the Jedi."

And as far as "Birth of the Empire" goes, I'm pretty skeptical. The prequel trilogy has already had a "______ of the ______". We've had parallels:

A New Hope - The Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi - Attack of the Clones
The Empire Strikes Back - Episode III

So I'm guessing the title will be along the lines of "Somebody Does Something Cool Sounding."

johnnyputrid
18 May 2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Regis
So I'm guessing the title will be along the lines of "Somebody Does Something Cool Sounding."

I like that. How about "Star Wars Episode III: Anakin Really Gets Upset at the End". It'll look like this:

SW: ANH
SW: TESB
SW: ROTJ
SW: TPM
SW: AOTC
and finally....
SW: ARGUE:D

Fingon
18 May 2004, 06:02 PM
umm...

NASTY
Now Anakin Starts Teasing Yoda

That's pretty lame. Never mind.

Anyhoo, I'd really doubt Episode III will actually be call Rise of the Empire(ROTE...) because of the reasons mentioned above.

Anakin--Like, I'm so going to fry you in this lava, master...

Gee.... that's just TERRIBLE.

Obi-Wan-- Don't even go there, padiwan dude. I'm like, totally, your superior.

Ronin
23 May 2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Kordeth
Ugh.....lava surfing? Excuse me while I perform seppuku.....
Ronin acts as Kordeth's kaishaku, then sits seiza and does himself in too.

Actually I'd heard it might be "The Creeping Fear" from a mate, but I'm highly sceptical about that. It's far too close to "The Phantom Menace".

Reverend Strone
23 May 2004, 07:39 PM
"The Creeping Fear" suggestion turned out to be a hoax. It was an allusion to an old Cushing/Lee flick.

cheshire
24 May 2004, 05:46 AM
Now Anakin Starts Teasing Yoda That's pretty lame. Never mind.

I dunno. A lot of people thought Attack of the Clones was pretty lame. The Phantom Menance didn't attract a whole lot of fan attention at the beginning either. Who knows, the title could be "The Jedi Get Whacked."

Vanger Chevane
24 May 2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cheshire

I dunno. A lot of people thought Attack of the Clones was pretty lame. The Phantom Menance didn't attract a whole lot of fan attention at the beginning either. Who knows, the title could be "The Jedi Get Whacked."
The only problem with that is that it sounds too Soprano-ish. Can you imagine one of the Darths saying "Fuhgeddaboutit"?

"Who in the Sith is he?" "Oh, that's Darth Scorsese." :P

wolverine
25 May 2004, 03:14 AM
i got a great name that will draw lots of people...

DEATH OF JAR JAR!!!

Fingon
27 May 2004, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I haven't really liked any of the new titles. Attack on the Clones, sounds like a 60's sci-fi series. Why not at least the Clone War?

Phantom Menace, why? Why not something like Treason at Naboo? Wait, that sucks too. Never mind.

DEATH OF JAR JAR!!!

I like it!!

Actually, some of my friends were trying to find a way to 'redeem' StarWars. They came up with, at the end of the movie, you see Jar-Jar:

"Misa Jar-Ja-"

And his head explodes in slow motion. His limbs flail around, and his bleeding body slowly slips too the ground. Gee, I have strange friends.

QWERTY
14 June 2004, 05:49 PM
I was nder the impression that reveenge of the jedi was going to be a film name i have a cinima poster with revenge on instead of return.

Qwerty

cheshire
14 June 2004, 07:13 PM
Yes, QWERTY, I'm pretty sure that is the case.

Kelcheck
14 June 2004, 11:30 PM
:sabersml: Ok as I understand it from A 1984 or 5 interview, the original title was going to be Revenge of the jedi, but while filming ROTJ paramount was also working on Star Trek 2, revenge of kahn. Both camps caught wind of the other's project and changed there title's. The bit about changing the title because revenge wasn't jedi like didn't come up until years later.

Episode 2's working title was JarJar's :gungan: big adventure

and the way it looks E#'s title with be something along the lines of

STAR WARS
EPISODE III
Your'e going to need lots of EU:thrawn: :marajade: :isard: to get over this one.
;)
:xwing: :tieln:

ij thompson
15 June 2004, 09:40 AM
Here's a little bit o' bad news...

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5161

I haven't liked any of the titles I've heard, so far!

(Please, not 'Birth of the Empire', please, not 'Birth of the Empire', please, not 'Birth of the Empire'...) :rolleyes:

Snib Snub
15 June 2004, 10:21 AM
My guess has always been along the logic that Lucas likes to "mirror" what has come before...put another way, he likes to allude to the original trilogy with the new one. He has done this in both title and in the story. He also likes to play with double meanings.

A New Hope = The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back = Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi = ???

So my guess has always been what seems obvious to me: "Fall of the Jedi" (or perhaps something synonymous.) This fulfills both requirements of allusion to the RoTJ title and a double meaning.

Darth Fierce
15 June 2004, 02:17 PM
Maybe "Fall of the Republic...?"

Darth Fierce :vader:

Kelcheck
15 June 2004, 09:06 PM
here's a bit of interesting news from theforce.net

USA Today reports:

We caught George Lucas wandering around the grounds with his daughter, Katie. The director said the title of Star Wars: Episode III won't officially be announced until November, when the first trailer hits theaters. But he conceded that fans on Web sites already have guessed correctly. So we threw a couple of rumored titles at him: Rise of the Empire? "No, that's not it," Lucas said. How about Revenge of the Sith? With that, Lucas smiled knowingly, backed away and teased, "That's a possibility. Lots of titles out there ..."

Interesting... what do you think?

Levistus
20 August 2004, 09:57 PM
I think a much better title would be "Thank God its Over."