PDA

View Full Version : New Post NJO novels.

Kanner Ra'an
1 June 2004, 07:03 AM
I know unifying force wasn't that long ago, but im already getting itchy for any new novels and Zahn's book did nothing to scratch it. I've checked out Star Wars.com and they are only advertising book for the prequal era. Admittidly thats to be expected as the new movies are hot right now and its the new era for Authers to play around with. However has anyone heared any rumours or such about any new novels for the post NJO era in the making? Or have i missed a horrible announcement that they wont be doing any?(Or the more likly event that their on the backburner for now)

Nova Spice
1 June 2004, 07:27 AM
However has anyone heared any rumours or such about any new novels for the post NJO era in the making? Or have i missed a horrible announcement that they wont be doing any?(Or the more likly event that their on the backburner for now)

Last year, www.theforce.net announced that Troy Denning (author of Star by Star) is scheduled to write a post-NJO trilogy due to hit shelves at the end of 2005. Del Rey confirmed this in an article last summer.

I hope that alleviates your itch somewhat, Kanner. :D

QWERTY
14 June 2004, 05:35 PM
anyone have any idea what the seris is called or the name of any of the books?

Qwerty

Darthspectre84
17 June 2004, 06:02 AM
Nope no news about it as of yet. Seems for a time though they will focus more on prequel story lines.

Kale Jerre
17 June 2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Last year, www.theforce.net announced that Troy Denning (author of Star by Star) is scheduled to write a post-NJO trilogy due to hit shelves at the end of 2005. Del Rey confirmed this in an article last summer.

The Force preserve us!!!! Not content to destroying various parts of the Forgotten Realms D&D campaign setting via his novels, they have unleashed that Sithspawn Troy Denning on the SW universe!?!? 8o

Ardent
17 June 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Kale Jerre
The Force preserve us!!!! Not content to destroying various parts of the Forgotten Realms D&D campaign setting via his novels, they have unleashed that Sithspawn Troy Denning on the SW universe!?!? 8o

Err. Troy Denning's following vastly outnumbers his detractors. Just...to be clear. Besides, he's already proven he knows Star Wars writing. NJO fans like him. Forgotten Realms fans, particularly the vocal ones, tend to fall into a minority among readers. If most had their way, only Ed Greenwood would write, and he'd only write about things approved by a poll of insiders (that include them and not the publisher, WotC staff or anyone of that nature).

Anyhow, if you don't like him, get educated. Read some of his non-FR stuff. He's in no way another Kevin J. Anderson.

Snowtiger
17 June 2004, 01:11 PM
I think that Star by Star was a great read, haven't read his FR-stuff, though.

Darth Fierce
17 June 2004, 02:10 PM
Oh man...(insert guffaw here) Kevin J. Anderson...there's someone who shouldn't have been writing Star Wars (for the most part at least).

Darth Fierce :vader:

Nova Spice
18 June 2004, 04:16 PM
The Force preserve us!!!! Not content to destroying various parts of the Forgotten Realms D&D campaign setting via his novels, they have unleashed that Sithspawn Troy Denning on the SW universe!?!?

Troy Denning has already written one of the best Star Wars novels to date--Star by Star. ;)

So, yes, they're allowing Troy Denning to write the post-NJO trilogy. And I doubt anyone who's read SbS is complaining. ;)

Fingon
18 June 2004, 08:52 PM
My question is: what are they going to do? It'll be nigh impossible to top off the Vong.

Darth Fierce
18 June 2004, 09:07 PM
No, not impossible...and that's hard to say, given that I have been (and still am) a vocal defender of the NJO era stories. It's really pointless for me to once again type all I have theorized that the post-NJO era novels are going to be about (as I've done this several times throughout the forums), so I'm going to try to simplify my theory of what the post-NJO novels will be about in three words "Discovery and rebirth." It's likely going to be an exciting time for Star Wars novel fans as we see the story of the fledgling GFFA and personal hero stories unfurl. The post-NJO stories will likely be far different from anything before them, and remind us of the magical qualities of Star Wars that made us fall in love with the epic for the very first time.

Nova Spice
18 June 2004, 10:11 PM
I'm with Fierce on this one. I think that the post-NJO will focus more on reconstruction, recovery, and rebirth. I imagine the stories will focus more on individuals as opposed to a galaxy-spanning event.

I'm fairly excited myself. :)

Talonne Hauk
18 June 2004, 11:14 PM
I'm echoing the previous two statements; I think post-NJO novels will be more individual type stories. I'm thinking of Jedi coming in like the Marshal from the Old West to rescue a war-torn planet. To continue along the Western motif, Rogue Squadron coming in like the cavalry. Star Wars at its best always seemed like a Western to me, with the frontier of space and the camera angles and the good versus evil conflict. I may be overly optimistic, but I think that's what we'll see next, as there seems to be so much to reconnect and rediscover in the galaxy.

Kanner Ra'an
20 June 2004, 12:45 AM
And hopefully some stories without Jedi as well, since their trying to set a differant tone. I know their the main attraction of star wars, but to have the entire series focas souley on one type of character will eventually get boring and monotomus.

Talonne Hauk
20 June 2004, 01:04 AM
I'd agree with you there, except the NJO series really didn't establish many non-Jedi heroes, with the notable exception of Jag Fel. Besides, I think non-Jedi post NJO stories will be squad based, a la "Predator"; no main character until the end. If that character proves popular, then more novels will be based on him/her.

Nova Spice
20 June 2004, 08:07 AM
I'd agree with you there, except the NJO series really didn't establish many non-Jedi heroes, with the notable exception of Jag Fel.

That's a valid point. However, you do have Danni Quee and Droma. And I'd wager that Cahkmaim and Meewalh deserve a little respect considering their fairly impressive life-spans for Noghri bodyguards. :D

Talonne Hauk
20 June 2004, 09:30 AM
With the possible exception of Droma, do you really think any of those characters has what it takes to carry a novel as the main character? Droma has a shot, but as the head of an interstellar intelligence group, he's a bit more suited to a background, "M"-type role. Danni Quee is worth developing, and I wouldn't doubt that we'll see a Vong study through her eyes at some point, but she is rather uninteresting at this point. And you know what? You've seen one Noghri bodyguard, you've seen them all.:rolleyes:

cheshire
20 June 2004, 09:08 PM
I'm just wondering if the new novels are going to try to rope in those of us who haven't taken an interest in the NJO series. I'm not bashing it, don't get me wrong. The novels just don't do it for me. Now, if they can do something creative and new with a time period just beyond, I might take an interest... but only if I wouldn't have had to read the NJO in order to keep up.

Darth Fierce
21 June 2004, 03:42 AM
For those of you who don't believe the NJO novels didn't establish a lot of non-Jedi heroes I've got three words...Boba Fett, baby!!! I'd like to see how he helps out the galaxy in the post-NJO time period now that he's not necessarily a "bad guy" anymore. Something tells me a post-NJO era novel focusing on Fett could be quite interesting...

Also, I personally would like to see more about Talon Kardde...if anything, he's one of the least mentioned heroes in the whole Star Wars franchise.

Kanner Ra'an
21 June 2004, 10:19 AM
Unfortunatly i think we've seen the last of those two. Both are older now and Unifying force basically said Talon was stepping side and retireing. Same for a lot of the heroes. I think we're going to see more of the new generation now.

Kale Jerre
22 June 2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
Anyhow, if you don't like him, get educated.

I'll admit that my initial reaction was a bit zealous, but your statement is pretty arrogant, Ardent. I have a very solid reasons for disliking Troy's Forgotten Realms work (I won't take this thread off topic with discussions of what that reason is) and IMO it's only logical for me to expect that the reasons would also be evident his Star Wars NJO work.

Read some of his non-FR stuff.

I'll certainly take the advice given and read Star by Star. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

Ardent
22 June 2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Kale Jerre
I'll admit that my initial reaction was a bit zealous, but your statement is pretty arrogant, Ardent. I have a very solid reasons for disliking Troy's Forgotten Realms work (I won't take this thread off topic with discussions of what that reason is) and IMO it's only logical for me to expect that the reasons would also be evident his Star Wars NJO work.

I'll certainly take the advice given and read Star by Star. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

It's crass to pidgeoinhole an author based on their work within one genre, or even within one setting. My point about FR fanboys is well-documented, not just a personal opinion. Troy Denning is liked among the Star Wars community, and if you give him a chance you'll find out why.

Kale Jerre
22 June 2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
It's crass to pidgeoinhole an author based on their work within one genre, or even within one setting.

How so? If an author has shown himself to ignore previously released relevant works when preparing his own and also shows a free hand at destroying significant parts of the game world, then IMO this isn't just a genre or setting issue as it is a matter personal writing 'style'.

My point about FR fanboys is well-documented, not just a personal opinion.

I'm sorry, but documentation proves nothing, as it's nothing more than opinions put down in permanent form. Can you provide results of a unbiased poll taken on the issue?

Troy Denning is liked among the Star Wars community, and if you give him a chance you'll find out why.

I did say that I'm going to read Star by Star, didn't I?

Dr_Worm
22 June 2004, 02:56 PM
I would love to see Stackpole and Zahn back with some more books, and new characters. They are the only EU writers that consistantly bring SW novels from the niche market (those who love SW) to the much more broad Sci-Fi/Fantasy market. Their novels are self contained and written in a thrilling fashion. Honestly "I, Jedi", and perhaps the original Thrawn trilogy, are the only EU novels I would recomend to a non-SW fan. I would love to see more novels in the SW genre that are not written for an already SWphile fanbase.

On a side note:
My son is just starting to read for entertainment. He is 10 and has read a number of cool fantasy books (HP, Series of Unforunate Events). Are the YJK novels any good, or are they purile, childish, crap? He is not really entertained by young fiction that is dumbed down for kids.

Ardent
22 June 2004, 05:37 PM
YJK is purile, boring crap for the most part, but it's part of the EU continuity and does go a ways to explaining why the Solos and their companions are the way they are. Do him a favor and start him off with the X-Wing saga. It's not that tricky and if he can get through a few, he'll probably genuinely enjoy reading.

Rostek
22 June 2004, 07:21 PM
YJK isn't bad, for the most part (especially for KJA), but does tend to simplify things a tad because of the intended audience. I was 15 when I first read them (and I admit I've always been a really advanced reader), I found them to be bad compaired to the any stuff by Stackpole and Zahn, but equal to or better than most of the one-shot books, and many of the other trilogies (again, KJA isn't the best of SW writers).
It is very nice continuity wise however (compairitively anyway).
I would probably start him off with X-Wing comics (what I started with anyway), then see his reaction to new SW material. If he can handle the straightforward storylines, then give him Stackpole, but if he is still a little weary of non-film Star Wars, give him YJK (I would think it's a little easier to relate to for a little kid, but I never read SW at that age, so ?).
If I had to give titles suitible for a little kid I'd say:
YJK (or X-Wing books)
Courtship of Princess Leia (continuity)
Thrawn Trilogy (a bit complicated but very good)
Maybe a little Dark Empire (not the sequel if you can help it)
Any of the good oneshots (your discresion of what those are)
Other Zahn (same as Thrawn trilogy)
Han Solo/Lando Trilogies
If he likes the prequels, Rogue Planet (Obi-Wan-Ani relationship very good, predictablity not as much an issue with inexperianced reader)

Black Fleet Crisis may be a tad complex for a youngster, most of the one shots aren't continuity-friendly, I, Jedi could be a bit hard to follow for those who aren't familier with first person reading, Jedi Acadamy isn't very good. NJO should be avoided because, I'm guessing the death of a beloved OT character would be a bit traumatic for the boy :(
That's all I can think of. And I'm no expert, if you like a book, go ahead and throw it at him (not literally, of course :P ).

johnnyputrid
22 June 2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
I
On a side note:
My son is just starting to read for entertainment. He is 10 and has read a number of cool fantasy books (HP, Series of Unforunate Events). Are the YJK novels any good, or are they purile, childish, crap? He is not really entertained by young fiction that is dumbed down for kids.

Have you tried introducing him to the Jedi Apprentice or Jedi Quest serieses (I know that's not a real word:D)? Heck, I'm 31 and I've enjoyed every one of them. They're well written, fairly fast-paced, action-filled and are quite good at detailing the backgrounds of Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Anakin respectively. And unlike the YJK books, they aren't dumbed down. Just a suggestion.

Codym
23 June 2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
On a side note:

As stated by others, avoid the YJK and intoduce him to the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest and Boba Fett series. These a great for kids, easy to read without being condesending, and have the bonus of being entertaining reads (though if he's reading Harry Potter, they may be a little lightweight for the tyke.) I've read books from each of those series with my Godson, who is seven, and he has loved them, (slowing converting him to the Force, though his mother has nixed the lightsaber training...)

Darth Fierce
23 June 2004, 03:37 AM
I work at a speech-language pathology clinic, and I know a lot of the kids that come here enjoy the prequel-based Boba Fett novels (though you might read them beforehand for discretionary purposes). Don't know a lot about the YJK novels, though by the time they came out I was far too old to be really interested in them in the first place.

Kale Jerre
23 June 2004, 04:21 AM
Ardent will want to kick me for this ( :D ), but IMO the YJK series isn't all that bad. I've only read the first 3 books of the first series so far, though, so it could be that the quality goes down from there.

I've found the X-Wing series to very good, but I'm reading #5 at the moment and at least one of the events in that book is pretty improbable IMO (capturing a Corellian corvette with nothing more than a smuggler's cabinet, an astromech, a cut-down laser cannon and maneuvering jets from an X-wing with a Gamorrean to pilot this contraption and secure the ship with it).

Nova Spice
27 June 2004, 11:50 AM
I've found the X-Wing series to very good, but I'm reading #5 at the moment and at least one of the events in that book is pretty improbable IMO (capturing a Corellian corvette with nothing more than a smuggler's cabinet, an astromech, a cut-down laser cannon and maneuvering jets from an X-wing with a Gamorrean to pilot this contraption and secure the ship with it).

Well, the concept of a Gamorrean super-genius is somewhat improbable too, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. :D

Gotta love the Wraiths.