PDA

View Full Version : Leia's Identity in Episode III?

XanderPaddox
3 June 2004, 07:25 AM
After sitting down and watching the films in order (minus Episode III of course), an interesting thought crossed my mind (that doesn't happen a whole lot, but every now and then sometimes it does).

I was wondering, since in the Original Trilogy, it was kept a great secret at keeping Leia's identity secret, will that be done in Episode III? Yoda mentions that there is "another" in Empire Strikes Back and leading up to that, Episode IV, we never know that Leia is the "another" until towards the end of course. Will her indentity be preserved?

All it will have to take is that in Episode III, Leia is never named (we might not even find out she is a girl; when Luke is born, and we are told that there are twins, majority of people give the assumption that there is another male, at least I do when I hear that twins were born).

We could see Luke being named and we know "who" he is because he keeps his father's last name, Skywalker. But Leia doesn't, she adopts Bail's name, Organa. Is this done to keep her "safe." Maybe in the possibility that Luke was not able to help Anakin fulfill the prophecy, then Leia would.

What does everybody think? I for one could see it working, but that is just me.

If this idea has already been debated, then I apologize.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xander Paddox: Your Resident Tapani Noble

BRodgers
3 June 2004, 07:57 AM
Whaddup Al!

I about dropped a load when I saw that we had a post in this here forum..Ive been terribly neglect in posting new stuff to the RS site (something I hope to rectify this summer).

Anyway, Im sure this has been debated in numerous places before but that doesnt mean we can knock it around here.

I think Ep 3 is going to reveal quite a bit about our favorite heroes origins. I think besides Yoda Obi Wan was probably the only one to know about Leias true identity (well, maybe besides Bail Organa of course but we've yet to see how she came to be in his care and to what degree he was let in on her identity)...

Im really curious to see what happens to Padme...personally, my theory is that she is killed and that leads Anakin to go totally over to the darkside....or she dies...possibly in childbirth...Obi Wan is there, takes the babies, hides them , Anakin finds out and goes balistic on Obi Wan (thus falling to the darkside that way).

Going to be interesting to see what GL comes up with.

:)

Talonne Hauk
4 June 2004, 06:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan doesn't know about Leia. After all, when Yoda reveals that there is another, he was talking to Obi-Wan. (Or his spirit. You get the drift.) And it seems rather risky to have the remaining legacy of the Jedi all together in one place, doesn't it? Not exactly a General type decision. Had he known, I think Obi-Wan might have declined to take Luke to Alderaan, instead opting to go alone or train Luke in secret. Or at least drop Luke off on Dagobah first.

BRodgers
4 June 2004, 07:53 AM
I would say that Obi -Wan knew about both Skywalker children...as to who Leia eventually grows into, that might be another matter entirely. In Ep IV he seems genuinely surprised when he sees the holo she implants in Artoo...although that could be a "Wow I havent seen her since she was a baby" surprise just as well as a "I have no idea who this is" surprise.

In theory it wouldnt be surprising if Obi Wan and Yoda both took a child and hid them without the other's knowledge of where.

Of course in less than a year we'll all know for certain.

:P

cheshire
6 June 2004, 01:15 PM
Ya know, BRodgers, I'm not sure that Obi-Wan knew about both the children. I'm betting on him only knowing about Luke. At Dagobah he said to Yoda "That boy is our last hope." and Yoda corrects him saying "No, there is another."

Yeah, it might have been that Ben didn't think much of the other twin, not having any contact with her since birth, but I think it's likely that Ben was kept pretty much in the dark.

BRodgers
6 June 2004, 04:37 PM
Darth Vader: "Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes. Your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side... then perhaps she will."

I wouldnt put it past old George to finagle with the nuances of the original trilogy....

For example:

When Obi Wan tellsfirst Luke that when he met Anakin he was already a great pilot, I think most fans took that to mean that Anakin was, at youngest, around 17-20 when he and Obi Wan first met (at least everyone I ever talked to did)...then EP 1 comes out and BAM!

Anakin is all of 10 years old.

Plus there is the consideration of Force power. Luke is, according to the movies and books, much more powerful in the Force that Leia (and to be honest, lets not forget that you really DON'T see Leia's Force ability in the movies, it;s only implied). That being the case, perhaps when Obi Wan first sees the children he detects Luke's potential moreso than Leias...that would certainly give rise to him beleiving that Luke IS the last hope, since his sister posesses "no" Force power.

Im curious to see how GL handles this one...

;)