PDA

View Full Version : About the SSD...

Fingon
3 June 2004, 08:44 PM
When it crashed into the Death Star II, wasn't it's shield still up? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now, could the generators handle that kind of stress (having a MASSIVE solid object pass through the shield), or would it have overloaded, making the whole bombing uneeded? Thoughts?

Darth_Cassed
3 June 2004, 08:55 PM
No, the shield generator had been knocked out. After that, the A-Wing crashed into the Bridge. They lost complete control of the ship, as well as its shields. They could have controlled it from the secondary bridge, but there wasn't time.

Also, the shields would not have helped. If anything, that would be more destructive do the death star ;)

Corwin
3 June 2004, 11:06 PM
I’d had to watch the movie again, but I’m pretty sure the Executor crashing into the Death Star was a pretty crippling hit to the DS, though not a fatal one. Still, the fact that for the most part the Executor broke up on impact is a testament to the strength of the Death Star’s haul. I would have thought with the force of the impact.

A billion ton battleship moving at speeds of 100 mph, that’s made in an arrow shape rightfully should have sliced a good ways into the DS’s haul, rather then break on impact as we saw it do.

Darth Fierce
4 June 2004, 04:14 AM
When Executor, without its shields (as explained above), struck the Death Star II, the Imperials inside the space station knew that something was terribly wrong, and that the need to evacuate was virtually necessary. Hence, you have the Imperials screaming "Get out!!!" The deathblow to Death Star II was when the reactor was destroyed. So...:ds2: went boom!

Darth Fierce :vader:

Fingon
4 June 2004, 06:13 AM
No, the shield generator had been knocked out. After that, the A-Wing crashed into the Bridge. They lost complete control of the ship, as well as its shields. They could have controlled it from the secondary bridge, but there wasn't time.

Ummm... I ment the Death Star's shields, actually. Sorry for not being specific. And I knew the SSD shields were down.

And by bombing, I ment on the shield generators on Endor. Not killing the reactor.

Rogue Janson
4 June 2004, 07:25 AM
The Death Star's shields are down when the Executor crashes into it - just before, Ackbar says "we've got to give those fighters more time," referring to the fighters flying through the DS.
On the other hand, Piett's subordinate only says "we've lost the bridge deflector shield," meaning it's very likely other parts of the Executor's shields may well have been up.

As for damage to the DS, it was probably severe but not disastrous. The novel says the DS has been under bombardment by the rebel fleet but when the Executor crashes into it is the first time it shakes. Going by the film, the crash doesn't seem to do that much damage to the DS, but the special effects at that point aren't really that great.

Fingon
4 June 2004, 03:01 PM
The Death Star's shields are down when the Executor crashes into it

All right, that was my origional question. Thanks.

Anyway, I really don't think the Executer could have done all that much damage to the Death Star as a whole, but the section that the SSD hit would be. I mean, shaking the ENTIRE death star is pretty powerful.

Nova Spice
4 June 2004, 04:16 PM
Anyway, I really don't think the Executer could have done all that much damage to the Death Star as a whole, but the section that the SSD hit would be.

I disagree here. Think about what exactly crashed into the Death Star. A ship fives times (depending on whom you ask) the size of an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer plowing into the hull of a space station.

The sheer magnitude of such a collision would cause enough force to eventually vape the entire station. As we know, an asteroid half the size of the Executor could all but wipe out Earth. It's not too hard to believe that an SSD could inflict massive damage on a space station the size of a small moon. :)

Corwin
6 June 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
As we know, an asteroid half the size of the Executor could all but wipe out Earth

Centrally true as a statement of fact, but misleading and superfluous to the issue at hand.

First of all, such an impact would probably not destroy the earth, but rather all life on its surface. However, the earth its self would survive; there is evidence which shows suchimpacts have happened in the past, and the Earth is of course still here

The key word is in the above "all life on earth" statement is “on”; as in, on the surface of the Earth. This is because it is not the impact its self that causes the mass death, rather it is the derbies kicked up by the impact, which then clog the atmosphere causing a “nuclear winter” effect.

Since the Death Star has neither atmosphere, nor life on its surface, the statement “an asteroid half the size of the Executor could all but wipe out Earth” is immaterial.

While we can look at the destruction at the point of such an impact as a lose guide to what a comparable impact would do to the Death Star, I would still advise caution, as the Death Star should not be compared to a planetoid out of hand.

Its form and design may very well make it very different then a planet in how it would react to such an impact. Using the collision of a meteor with a planet as a guide is not going to yield an accurate picture, simply because a planet is fundamentally different from the Death Star in its construction.

For those reasons, directly comparing the collision of the Executioner with the Death Star to a meteor striking a planet are at their base, fallacious.

The Death Star is man made, and is of a very sound architectural design. Further, steps were most likely taken in its construction to make it withstand such a collision; likely, its design disperses much of the impact in such a way as to minimize the damage, and compartmentalize it as much as possible. Such engineering may be the reason we see the Executioner break up on impact, rather then slice into its haul, and possibly penetrate to the core.

While the Executioner no doubt dealt a crippling blow to the Death Star, it was not a fatal one.