PDA

View Full Version : L33T Speak

johnnyputrid
8 June 2004, 04:02 PM
I don't often rant, but lately this has been seriously getting on my nerves. It took me quite a while to figure out that "L33T" meant "elite". It seems now that I must have some working knowledge of cryptology just to comprehend what is being said in people's posts. Will it soon come down to having to work out the first 100 numbers in the Fibonacci sequence or extrapolating Pi to the 60th place just to decrypt a random post? I hope not.

The latest "L33T" phrase simply has me baffled:

pwn3d

What the hell does "pwn3d" mean? Anyone? Apparently, it is interchangeable with "own3d", which doesn't make much sense either.
Working it out, it becomes "pawned", as in "Dude, you just got pwn3d!"
Pawned means to receive a loan for collateral. If somebody was pawned, they would be traded to a licensed dealer for a set amount of cash. If after a specified number of days had passed, that collateral would become the property of the pawn broker, to sell as he saw fit. I just don't get it. I certainly don't want to get pawned by anybody.

I know this is pretty silly, but I'm getting a little miffed at not being able to decipher posts. I can deal with "U R kewl" and other truncated phrases. I've accepted the fact that not everyone really cares for literacy in a message baord, but where is the harm is actually spelling out the words correctly? I shudder at the thought of opening up a dictionary one day and seeing the word "l33t" or "pwn3d" listed there. Next thing you know, they'll be teaching L33T in schools, right next to Ebonics and Spanglish. Well, maybe not. But it does seem that there is a great lack of appreciation for correct grammar in this new generation. I'm aware that I often make grammatical mistakes myself, but I sure as hell will never use "pwn3d" in a sentence.

Rant complete. Feel free to make fun of me now.:D

Darth_Cassed
8 June 2004, 05:33 PM
johnnyputrid, I'm confused at who exactly this post is aimed at.

Are you ranting to the way people people speak here on the HoloNet or in other places?

Korpil
8 June 2004, 06:52 PM
I think he's complaining about the acronyms coined by the "new generation" of chatters, such as n00b, l33t, ne1 and such...

I was quite comfortable with the old acronyms like ROTF, ROTFLAO, ASAP, FYI, FYE, etc. etc... but I find myself in trouble also with these new generation of internet speak...

Anyway, viva el spanglish!

Haradim
8 June 2004, 07:24 PM
'pwn3d' is the l33t@r version of 'own3d'. Or maybe just a spelling mistake that became popular ;)

Both are used in reference to someone/something that has just been the subject of some kind of negative treatment, be it losing in a competitive game, just not having anything go right, or experiencing unfortunate circumstances. It can be rather broadly used.

Though I don't understand all of it, I can read this stuff passably well.

I shudder at the thought of opening up a dictionary one day and seeing the word "l33t" or "pwn3d" listed there.

Just avoid the one entitled 'M3rr14m-\/\/3b$73r Un@br1d93d L33+ $p3@|< D1c+10n4ry' :D

johnnyputrid
8 June 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Cassed
johnnyputrid, I'm confused at who exactly this post is aimed at.

Are you ranting to the way people people speak here on the HoloNet or in other places?

Other places. Most of the HoloNet seems deviod of L33T-speak, and I can only pray that it stays that way. And I'm not exactly mad per se, just troubled by phrases that take me 10 minutes to decipher. Thankfully my fellow friends here post very clearly.

It really took me a long time time to figure out what ROLF and LOL meant. I've actually gotten used to those, and I'm not adverse to using "LOL" every so often, put stuff like "pwn3d" has left me nearly clueless. Thanks, Haradim for clearing that up for me, though I must admit it took me several minutes to translate "Merriam-Webster Unabridged L33t-Speak Dictionary".:D (Did I get that right?)

I have a funny feeling every post in this thread from here on is going to be entirely in L33T-speak just to confuse me.:D

Haradim
8 June 2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
"Merriam-Webster Unabridged L33t-Speak Dictionary".:D (Did I get that right?)

Yup. I used a converter, because though I can read much of this stuff, it's not necessarily a language I care to become fluent in ;)

There are some converters that can also translate back from l33t, if I recall correctly.

Tossk
8 June 2004, 09:51 PM
L33t? someone say l33t?

Have know fear of it coming into use around here much, it is frowned upon, mainly because of the difficulty and the way some use it, in fact, l33t has all sorts of ways that one phrase can be speeled, like "leet" itself: 1337, l337, l33t, et cetera.

"pwn3d" is know as "own3d with a 'P'.", emphasing how badly one has been fr4gg3d, or defeated.;)

Call me a l33t translator if you will, and i'd be happy to help with any questions regarding leet.:hansolo:

cheshire
9 June 2004, 07:22 AM
I know that my opinion isn't going to be popular, but here goes. I've been wondering for some time if we shouldn't do something to help the swprgnetwork newbies in terms of the acronyms and abbreviationst hat we use specific to Star Wars RPG. I've seen a couple of posts where newcommers have asked what certain things mean: WotC, PrC, PC, TotJ, GG6, et cetera. Most of them seem pretty plain to most of us, but wouldn't it be helpful to have a list of such things in an FAQ or helpfile? I have to admit there there are a few that I don't understand in the d20 forums since I'm very new to the d20 world.

There you have it, attack away.

Korpil
9 June 2004, 07:42 AM
I second the motion... I compiled a similar help file for the Index, it just needs to be expanded
http://www.korpil.net/rpg/index/key.asp

Grimace
9 June 2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid

I have a funny feeling every post in this thread from here on is going to be entirely in L33T-speak just to confuse me.:D

Boy, it better not, otherwise there will be a very unhappy and headache-ridden Grimace with a bad temper going around with a scrub brush and rubbing out any and all leet speak. 8o

I can say that I feel for you, johnnyputrid. If you ever get so fed up with leet speak, just visit the forums I moderate. I won't let the vile stuff be used with any sort of regularity in my forums. Even Tossk knows better than to do that. ;)

So, while the one inclusion by Haradim was humorous, let's not go putting any more leet speak sentences up here, please.

johnnyputrid
9 June 2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Grimace

I can say that I feel for you, johnnyputrid. If you ever get so fed up with leet speak, just visit the forums I moderate. I won't let the vile stuff be used with any sort of regularity in my forums. Even Tossk knows better than to do that. ;)

I shouldn't have to worry about it here on the HoloNet. It's mainly the other message boards I frequent that are guilty of this. I really haven't encountered much l33t-speak on these forums at all. Your commitment to ridding the HN of this "vile stuff" is commendable.

On a interesting note, my Brigade Commander, a full-bird Colonel with 24 years of service, put out an e-mail today regarding Special Forces recruitment. His e-mail stated that "the l33t Army Special Forces Recruiting Team will be visiting Fort Jackson next month. Pass this info down to your soldiers." It is a sad, sad day when official military e-mail traffic now contains l33t-speak.:(

As far as the acronym thing goes, great idea. I've got so many military acronyms floating in my head that sometimes the RPG-rleated stuff confuses me as well. I remember a recent mentioning of "GatORW", thinking 'What the heck is that?' It wasn't unitl I bought the book (Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds) that I figured it out.:D

Fingon
9 June 2004, 10:05 AM
Ahhh.... leet talk..... terrible *shudders*

It almost singlehandedly (single-leetedly) got me off of chat rooms and internet games. I really got tired of hearing: '$h17 n00b, th4ts g4y ' every five minutes.

Yeah, I can usually deal with acronyms (LOL, ROFL), but I HATE leet.

Faraer
9 June 2004, 10:48 AM
The irony is that it originated on hacker bulletin boards and was used by people who were intelligent and ahead-of-the-curve, and now it's used by people who are subhuman.

Jedi_Staailis
9 June 2004, 11:11 AM
I'm reasonably fluent in leet-speak, simply because I spend a time on message boards and play online games. I don't use it on message boards much, since I'm aware that many others can't read it, but it's fun slang to use around my more nerdy friends. Like any subculture, language is developed to describe certain ideas that would take longer using exisiting words. We know what pwn3d means, and thus can express that idea easily.

That and it's really fun to use around people who don't know about internet cutlure at all. As below.

Me: "See, that method is more 1337 [pronounced leet, meaning elite, which is net lingo for cool or awesome]."
Friend 1: "What? Leet?"
Friend 2: "It's spelled one-three-three-seven."
Friend 1 (exasperated): "There aren't any numbers in words! You guys are such dorks!"

:)

Dr_Worm
9 June 2004, 11:22 AM
but it's fun slang to use around my more nerdy friends. Like any subculture, language is developed to describe certain ideas that would take longer using exisiting words. We know what pwn3d means, and thus can express that idea easily.

See that argument does noy hold water because it is just as easy (easier since most of us know english) to type elite or owned. There you go...no more key strokes and no need to stretch the fingers up to the number row. I understand the idea of a culture using termonology that is not understood by laypeople. In medicine we use medical termonology so as to assure that our communications are consise and to not have the vaugeries and dependant definitions of lay speak. However Leet is simply a juvinile attempt to say "haw, haw...we know something that you don't." I have never seen an example of leet that was more efficient to type and there for had some redeeming value to a given culture.

wolverine
9 June 2004, 12:30 PM
I am like Fingon. I don't mind anacronims (ROTF etc) as i am military and you just have to get used to them. But i cannot stand leet speek. Most of the time, i just pass over those parts of people's posts...

Fingon
9 June 2004, 12:43 PM
Just a clarification.

I see leet talk and some acronyms (LOL) as utter lack of intelligence (gee, I almost spelled that incorrectly). I rank them at about the same level as swearing. If you can't think of ANYTHING to say other than a repetitious word or acronym, frankly, you are wasting my time. That said, I actually don't mind acronyms (again, I'm referring to the classic LOL and its ilk) that much unless they are used again and again and again.

P.S. ohhh, you're going to hate this (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186859)

johnnyputrid
10 June 2004, 04:46 AM
You would probably not want to hear me talk in person then, Fingon. I use profanity quite often. In fact, I've learned to use the f-word as a noun, pronoun, adverb, adjective, preposotion, conjunction, etc. :D
It's not a matter of intelligence (or lack thereof) but simply a bad habit. But I normally refrain from cursing around those who don't appreciate it.

Come to think of it, l33t-speak is kind of like profanity to me. I don't care how many curse words you throw at me. Most of the time I'll laugh if the cursing is creative enough. But l33t to me is offensive, in a manner of speaking, simply becasue it represents laziness. Hmm, I've just given myself something to think about here.

Jedi_Staailis
10 June 2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm

See that argument does noy hold water because it is just as easy (easier since most of us know english) to type elite or owned.
The intent is (at least partially) to associate leet-speak with computers and the internet, where numbers are just as accessible as letters for use in words. Most people who spend enough time around computers to run into leet-speak frequently can type numbers as easily as letters. And there really isn't a large confusion factor based on the numbers alone. Odds are if you know what "owned" means, you know that it's often spelled "pwn3d."

Being able to obscure meaning to others is certainly possible, but this happens regardless of whether the abbreviations are originally intended to promote quicker communication. At NASA, for example, new employees are given a book of acronyms. Sure, the original intent of the acronyms and technical jargon was to facilitate communication, but eventually it gets to a point where it becomes a barrier to anyone outside the group. Slang dialects work in the same way.

Ronin
10 June 2004, 06:05 AM
Another bad habit I've seen (and try not to do myself) is including words from foreign languages "cos its cool" :mad:
It may show that you know how to speak more than one language, which is good...but it doesn't help the masses of people on the same forum who DON'T speak that language.
I'm mainly ranting about several cosplay forums, particularly one American one in which people use Japanese words.....and all too often spell them incorrectly or simply use the wrong words.
It's a habit I momentarily fell into and thankfully stopped.

As for leet-speak, I haven't seen too much on these boards, thankfully...but I do agree that it's irritating.

Korpil
10 June 2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Ronin
Another bad habit I've seen (and try not to do myself) is including words from foreign languages "cos its cool" :mad:
It may show that you know how to speak more than one language, which is good...but it doesn't help the masses of people on the same forum who DON'T speak that language.
I'm mainly ranting about several cosplay forums, particularly one American one in which people use Japanese words.....and all too often spell them incorrectly or simply use the wrong words.
It's a habit I momentarily fell into and thankfully stopped.

That reminds me of a boy in a Mexican forum who thought it was cool to have his original message in Spanish translated by Altavista into English, French and German and posted the four variations... of course none of them was understandable (not even his native Spanish ;) )

And even worse, when challenged about his habit he threatened to give us all language lessons!!! OMG.

Kale Jerre
10 June 2004, 07:10 AM
Though I also dislike 1337-speak, I'm more offended by people who use words like retarded or gay as part of a derogative expression. Then there's those that use words (and I use the term words very loosely here) like 'kewl' and 'hella' in a childish attempt to sound cool.

johnnyputrid
10 June 2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Kale Jerre
Though I also dislike 1337-speak, I'm more offended by people who use words like retarded or gay as part of a derogative expression. Then there's those that use words (and I use the term words very loosely here) like 'kewl' and 'hella' in a childish attempt to sound cool.

I don't know about that last one. I grew up saying "hella" all the time.It was just the way every spoke in my neighborhood. It comes from saying "hell of a" really fast. So if you go to a "hell of a good party", then say it really fast, it comes out to "hella good party". I know its not really a word or grammatically correct, but I still say it every now and then out of habit. I hope you don't think I'm just trying to sound cool (or kewl).

Though some people probably use the word "hella" just because the guys in Metallica used it a lot.:D ;)

ij thompson
10 June 2004, 08:30 AM
Gat-DAYumm! This stuff drives me nuts, too! :mad:

Plus, doesn't anyone else find the whole 'pwn3d' thing unnerving? You know, like "I pwnz j00"? I mean, are we talkin' slavery here???

Oh, and could anyone tell me what 'roxxorz' or suxxorz' mean? I mean, I know what they mean, I just don't know where the 'orz' comes from, or why. Know what I mean? :P

And for the record, I find 'kewl', 'kewel', 'prolly' and such equally unforgiveable! :D

Dr_Worm
10 June 2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis

The intent is (at least partially) to associate leet-speak with computers and the internet, where numbers are just as accessible as letters for use in words.
Why make a new language for talking on the internet? What is the logic? I thought the whole point of the internet was communication and access. These two things are in fact hampered by some juvinile attempts at an elite form of communitcation.

Most people who spend enough time around computers to run into leet-speak frequently can type numbers as easily as letters. And there really isn't a large confusion factor based on the numbers alone. Odds are if you know what "owned" means, you know that it's often spelled "pwn3d."
Sure hacks and coders can access the number keys efficiently. Again I ask, what is the point? Why would you intentionally change the spelling of something, regardless of how easy it is?

Being able to obscure meaning to others is certainly possible, but this happens regardless of whether the abbreviations are originally intended to promote quicker communication. At NASA, for example, new employees are given a book of acronyms. Sure, the original intent of the acronyms and technical jargon was to facilitate communication, but eventually it gets to a point where it becomes a barrier to anyone outside the group. Slang dialects work in the same way.

Agreed, however there was an original logical intent. WIth leet-speak there is no logical reason for changing the way a word is typed. It is no more efficient, and for non-leetlings it is less efficient. It is not exactly a secret code...it has never been that tough to read given time. It does not present ideas in a way that is unique. So while acronyms may have evolved from a way to facilitate communication to a barrier to communication, leet never facilitated anything better than simple use of the english language does.

Tossk
10 June 2004, 08:32 AM
Hi, Grimace! :D ;)

In my opinion, l33t was made to set the hcaking group apart, not for it's expeidency, i'll tell you that much from experience.

dragonseye
10 June 2004, 09:10 AM
Why make a new language for talking on the internet? What is the logic? I thought the whole point of the internet was communication and access. These two things are in fact hampered by some juvinile attempts at an elite form of communitcation.

Well, if I remember my useless internet lore 101 that a friend of mine has spoken about, leet was originally developed so that people could speak with each other without having their e-mails essentially censored. (This was back when the interent was used only by the government and universities.)

As to the irritation of having to spend several minutes deciphering it, eh... it's annoying but it's also what makes language so interesting. Any languge is going to change over time and various words do get adopted (if only to be used differently from it's original meaning.)

Ronin,

Oh, Engrish and Japlish. Those are always amusing to read. :;)

Fingon
10 June 2004, 02:18 PM
You would probably not want to hear me talk in person then, Fingon. I use profanity quite often. In fact, I've learned to use the f-word as a noun, pronoun, adverb, adjective, preposotion, conjunction, etc.

Yeah, that's what I don't like. Creative cursing, on the other hand, can, repeat, can make dialogue more... interesting is the wrong word. You are able to add enphasis (I KNOW I spelled that wrong) that can be very effetive. Saying the f-word every other word in the next sentance, however, ruins the effect pretty quickly.

Hmm, I've just given myself something to think about here.

:rolleyes:

As to the irritation of having to spend several minutes deciphering it, eh... it's annoying but it's also what makes language so interesting.

I don't think translating something written by someone who can speak and write (hopefully) english makes the language more interesting.

Ronin
11 June 2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by dragonseye

Ronin,

Oh, Engrish and Japlish. Those are always amusing to read. :;)

Well...that's my career (crusade?!)! :D
Fixing Japanese people's bad English. That I don't mind...its forgivable...and occasionally amusing.
It's people who (mis)use Japanese in an attempt to be cool simply because they read a bit of manga that gets me a bit angry.

Rogue Janson
11 June 2004, 04:19 AM
I agree with the consensus on 1337 speak. Regardless of how it originated, it now has the same functions as any slang dialect - to signify the user as part of a particular group (1337 haXX0Rz!), as something of a restriction on membership of that group (difficulty of learning and typing) and to express a limited number of concepts in a particular way (3Y3 0wNz J00! - general purpose I am a lot better than you and have conclusively beaten you).

And as a result of those purposes it has the drawbacks of any slang language - it cuts out and alienates people who are not part of the group, and it only has a limited range of expression.

As for swearing excessively, the problem I have with it is that, as Fingon said, it ruins the effect. So when you actually want to emphasise something you have to be really creative to come up with something impressive. Which is not something I want to have to do.

johnnyputrid
11 June 2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
As for swearing excessively, the problem I have with it is that, as Fingon said, it ruins the effect. So when you actually want to emphasise something you have to be really creative to come up with something impressive. Which is not something I want to have to do.

Oh believe me, I can get really creative.:D A lot of that has to do with environment. Being an infantry soldier and spending the majority of my time in infantry battalions, I've lived in a unique world where swearing is not only acceptable, but encouraged. However, there are many who lack the diplomacy to not know when to stop cursing. And I agree, that excessive swearing can be very rude and inappropriate, which is why I constantly check myself out in public. Around my buddies and close friends, it's not a problem. But if I curse around someone who doesn't like it, I'll apologize and do my best to not let anything slip out.

Back on topic, I'm really don't agree with l33t-speak "adding to" or "enhancing" the language. Languages continuously evolve, with new phrases and technical terms coming into usage everyday. But some stuff, like l33t, Ebonics, and other slang dialects which twist and mutilate prexisiting words should not be formally added into any language. The idea of having some "secret" language has it's appeal to some, but let's keep this stuff out of the mianstream.

Rogue Janson
11 June 2004, 07:06 AM
While I don't think 1337 speak as a whole is of much use, I don't think the same of abbreviations like 'lol', and emoticons. The internet as a means of communication is different to traditional forms. While you can't express emotions in the same way as with verbal communications, message boards and instant messaging are more like conversations than conventional letter writing. Therefore you need some way of conveniently expressing certain things, particularly emotions and tone. In addition these communications are often rushed, so abbreviations are important - try holding multiple IM conversations, or talking in a network game without using any and you'll see why.

Dr_Worm
11 June 2004, 10:12 AM
I would agree with that Rogue, becuase things like LOL and ROTFL developed becuase of IM's relationship to a telephone conversation. In a phone conversation things like a laugh come over with pretty clear intent, but not over IM. So you have to tell people you are laughing. Acronyms, as long as they are common, make it easy to get the idea of a laugh off quickly...usually while you are stil,l in real life, laughing. These types of things are especially important in an IM situation where the number of characters is limited for one reason or another. Eventually one would expect that these acronyms would have bled over to Email and Forums because of the close relationship between these mediums and IM. So while email and forums do not need to have the same economy of thought, one can see a logical reason as to why they have entered the lexicon. I use them all the time in all electronic communications.

johnnyputrid
11 June 2004, 10:35 AM
I agree with using "LOL", smilies, etc. in IM and forum communication. They do help out quite a bit. L33T, however, does very little, IMO (see, another acronym!). In my case, and from what many others have told me, all it does is confuse people not familiar with it.

Tossk
13 June 2004, 07:57 PM
I can understand other's dislike of L33t, even if I like it myself from time to time. I can understand how it lends itself to creating headaches when one tries to read it.

Unlike the majority, LOL and ROTFLMAO among others king of bugs me, simply because it is a jumble of capital letters where a "Ha ha ha..." or "He he hoo..." would suffice. That is just my personal preference, not that anyone's prefered way of writing really irks me, just preference.:rolleyes:

Fingon
13 June 2004, 08:01 PM
Your not alone, Tossk, I don't like the LOL strain of acronyms. For exactly my reason. And because my sister likes to use it every-other word on Instant Messanger.

Darth L33T
17 June 2004, 12:24 PM
Bw@h@h@h@h@!

Teh evil l33t wun is confusing u all with nonsense-speak! So much fun!

Tossk
17 June 2004, 02:05 PM
Careful, there, Darth l33t, Grimace is Anti-confusion. Truast me.;)

8Dark_Prince6
17 June 2004, 06:05 PM
Careful, there, Darth l33t, Grimace is Anti-confusion. yes he is my thread on 1337 was shut down. one cause this thread was started and i didnt see it and most of the thread was in 1337.

Wesly Senesca
19 June 2004, 10:28 AM
It's not just leet speak that gets confusing and down right iritating to anyone with enough intelligence to spell correctly. Take a look around outside on billboards, in shopping centers (products and signs), and, obviously, grafitti. Rarely is anything ever spelled right. What's the point of spelling skills like skillz? What the hell? I don't see any reason to purposely misspell something to look cool. In my opinion, all ot that is a stupid and blantant misuse of english. Maybe it's just me becuase I'm an English major, or because I'm more intelligent the the average schmuck on the street. Leet speak...ugh!

On a side note--johnny, with the way I swear in real life, I could be in your unit, and you would never know (provided I was in the Army).

johnnyputrid
19 June 2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca

On a side note--johnny, with the way I swear in real life, I could be in your unit, and you would never know (provided I was in the Army).

You could be in one of my former units maybe. Right now I work with 99% females. Only me and my Sergeant Major are the only old infantry grunts who curse a lot. We're both constantly watching what we say, since neither of us wishes to offend anyone. Sometimes its really funny when either of us gets angry (which is often in my unit) and we resort to Yosemite Sam-style cursing.:D

Darth L33T
20 June 2004, 03:49 PM
Personally, I think l33tspeak is a very creative form of expression...

Now excuse me while I go heal my broken pride;) .

Fingon
21 June 2004, 06:35 PM
Personally, I think l33tspeak is a very creative form of expression...

Why?

Korpil
21 June 2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Fingon

Why?

Don't question it, Fingon, it is.

Just remember that creative does not neccesarily means functional or practical.

It's like comissioning Picasso to do your new home floorplans.

Fingon
21 June 2004, 06:52 PM
I don't classify leet as creative becuase it can't be used to adequately expresses ideas and feelings, making it completely different from cubist art, which is very expressive and can show passion and emotion. Leet can't. Normal speech can.

Wesly Senesca
23 June 2004, 09:27 AM
You could be in one of my former units maybe. Right now I work with 99% females. Only me and my Sergeant Major are the only old infantry grunts who curse a lot. We're both constantly watching what we say, since neither of us wishes to offend anyone. Sometimes its really funny when either of us gets angry (which is often in my unit) and we resort to Yosemite Sam-style cursing.

Probably not--especially since I never joined (finishing my degree in English knda gets in the way of that--though don't think it hasn't crossed my mind; I'm a gun nut minus a gun and a membership :( ). What I meant was that I'd fit right in with your verbal antics. Believe me, when I blow up, Yosemite Sam hasn't got anything on me :D .

P.S.
leet sucks. :P

johnnyputrid
23 June 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Wesly Senesca

Probably not--especially since I never joined (finishing my degree in English knda gets in the way of that--though don't think it hasn't crossed my mind; I'm a gun nut minus a gun and a membership :( ). What I meant was that I'd fit right in with your verbal antics. Believe me, when I blow up, Yosemite Sam hasn't got anything on me :D .

P.S.
leet sucks. :P

I follow you. What I meant to say was that "if" you were a soldier, you'd fit right into many of my former units. I love to hear creative cursing and verbal antics. It might be crude and bararbic, but a good string of creative profanity will usually get me rolling. Feel free to PM me and curse me out. I won't get offended, I promise.:D

Wesly Senesca
3 July 2004, 10:17 AM
johnny, you just reminded me of the episode of the Dave Atell: Insomniac show where he pays a bum to take all his verbal abuse for a few minutes. (no bums were harmed in the filming of that show).

Emman
31 July 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
The irony is that it originated on hacker bulletin boards and was used by people who were intelligent and ahead-of-the-curve, and now it's used by people who are subhuman.

I couldn't agree more :)