PDA

View Full Version : EWTAAP! (Enough With The Acronyms Already, People!)

RemyLeBeau
10 June 2004, 05:11 PM
I don't know how many people feel like I do, but lately there has been

a flood of acronyms surging through the Holonet. While some are pretty

old and familiar, like SWRPG, there are a whole host of people that seem

to have put an acronym on everything! It's not like people can't tell

what it means, but it greatly slows reading time and is confusing. How

many people have ROTJ, LS, MYOB, NJO, FBI, ROTE, and KOTOR down

without even thinking? I've noticed this, but I don't know if anyone else

has too, so please vote.

Darth Fierce
10 June 2004, 06:07 PM
Well, the only two acronyms mentioned I don't recognize are "LS" (which I'm assuming means "Luke Skywalker" or "lightsaber") and FBI (???). Otherwise all the others seem relatively easy to decipher. Overall, I think acronyms and abbreviations on the forums are okay, as long as the practice doesn't dive headfirst into L33T speak. And before anyone responds, yup, I know there's a thread on this very matter.

Darth Fierce :vader:

cheshire
10 June 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know what all of your abbreviations meant (FBI, ROTE, and MYOB went past me). However, it seems that quite a few people know what they mean. By all means I think that people should be able to communicate in as concise method as possible. HOWEVER, I think that we deserve an interpretor.

I'm currently engaged in a project to list the abbreviations used on the board. I've started a base from the list the KORPIL lists on his website, and have been adding to it. I'm currently on the top of page four. Unfortunately, I can't do the project alone. I don't know all the the SWRPGnetwork abbreviations, especially the ones in the d20 forum.

Rogue Janson
11 June 2004, 04:03 AM
A while back, we persuaded Moridin to put a list of abbreviations in the forum FAQ. Look here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=3#37) and you'll find it. It's not totally comprehensive and up to date, but it covers most of the commonly used terms.

I don't think there are too many abbreviations on the holonet, there are just lots of things that need abbreviating. I for one would probably go mad if I had to type out Knights of the Old Republic or Rise of the Empire every time rather than KotOR and RotE. Sometime I come across something I don't know - I don't recognise MYOB or FBI - but generally acronyms are either commonly used or obvious from the context - LS, for example, means Light Side, which I would have though would generally be clear from the context.

Darth Fierce
11 June 2004, 04:08 AM
Ahh..."LS" means "Light Side." Which would make "DS" mean "Dark Side." As far as MYOB is concerned, I'm sure it's short for "Mind your own business."

Darth_Cassed
11 June 2004, 08:59 AM
I tend to agree with Rogue Janson here. Generally on the HoloNet we write things out as clear as we possibly can. I don't use many abbreviations, but there are some that are usually used.

KotOR- Knights of the Old Republic
RotE- Rise of the Empire
BTW- By the way
IIRC- If I Recall Correctly
IMO- In my Opinion
IMHO- In my honest Opinion
ANH- A New Hope
ESB- Empire Strikes Back
RotJ- Return of the Jedi
PM- Private Message, or Phantom Menace depending on context
AotC- Attack of the Clones
NJO- New Jedi Order

That's all I can really think of in terms of general abbreviations.

Snib Snub
11 June 2004, 09:24 AM
These are initializations and not acronyms.

The distinction? Acronyms shorten or initialize to make something pronouncable - such as RADAR (RAdio Detection And Ranging) or COMPNOR.

KOTOR is one that qualifies as an acronym...but if it's just ANH, ESB or ROTJ - that's just initialization.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Edit Although calling them abbreviations is alright. Since Abbreviate just means "to shorten" and that's what the whole point is.

Rogue Janson
11 June 2004, 09:51 AM
Well you learn something new every day.

Are you saying you don't say RotJ as the easily pronouncible 'rotj'?

Snib Snub
11 June 2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Well you learn something new every day.

Are you saying you don't say RotJ as the easily pronouncible 'rotj'?

Nah...cause invariably I make the T silent and then my friend Rog gets concerned when I say "ROTJ is my least favorite."

Dr_Worm
11 June 2004, 10:35 AM
I gotta say I am big fan of abbreviations (I never knew that about acronyms...great trivia, thanks) becuase if i am typing a post and I am using, for example, the term "Darkside Points" many times, it is way easier to type DSP and get the idea across. I don't meant to sound lazy but I really do not want to have to write Rise of the Empire or Wizards of the Coast over and over.

Oh and here are a couple more for your list:
BTW- By the way
FLGS- Friendly local Gaming Store (oh this one stymied me for ages...I though it was an actual gaming store chain.)

Word of Caution:
In medicine we use abbreviations all the time. We have thick little handbooks that we carry with us to define and standardize our abbreviations. However one has to be careful, because some abrevaitions have multiple meanings. So there I was in the ER, working as a student nurse. Now in order for you to get the idea, you have to understand that in this ER there are few private rooms. Most of the patient areas are simply curtained off from each other, to provide visual privacy. However there is no auditory privacy at all.

So a staff nurse comes up to me when I am at the desk:

Staff Nurse: Okay...what just came in to nine[room nine]?
Me: Uh...looks like shortness of breath with no LOC [loss of conciousness], came by ambulance.
Staff Nurse: Sounds good, you and I will take that guy. [then raising his voice so the charge nurse, and subsiquently most of the ER, could hear] Jan, the student and I will go ahead and take the SOB in nine.

And, of course, the patient heard us quite well. Now the nurse was, of course, refering to shortness of breath when he said SOB, but the patient took a little convincing that we had not refered to him as a Sonofa B****. The patient thought it wa pretty funny when he understood, but we (the nurse and I) were beet red for a few minutes.

Anyway just an amusing true story. When you use abbreviations, make sure everyone uses the same definition as you do.

RemyLeBeau
11 June 2004, 12:03 PM
This is exactly what I mean. I was referring to 'LightSaber'.

Darth Fierce
Ahh..."LS" means "Light Side." Which would make "DS" mean "Dark Side."

Rogue Janson
LS, for example, means Light Side,

Just a good laugh at people trying to decipher acro- sorry, initializations
without any context. :D

Vanger Chevane
11 June 2004, 01:42 PM
Then there's the oft-misunderstood-by-new-ppl FU...

Pull yer mind back outta the sewers...:P

Force-User: any being that can use The Force, including but not limited to Jedi, Sith, and various Force Adept classes. ;)

wolverine
11 June 2004, 11:39 PM
IMHO i thought was "in my humble opinion"???

RemyLeBeau
12 June 2004, 07:32 AM
Wolverine
IMHO i thought was "in my humble opinion"???

Uh, yeah... I knew that...

(Actually, this one had me up until your post - I had weird

notions in my head like 'I Mean How Often' or 'Initialize Multi-Head Order')

No, not really. I just had not idea at all. I'm so smort. :D

Darth Fierce
12 June 2004, 07:41 AM
"Humble" or "honest," IMHO. ;) And IIRC, if I remember correctly, can mean "If I remember correctly." :P

Darth_Cassed
12 June 2004, 08:10 AM
Ok now, this is a thread about acronyms and abbreviations.

The warning goes out right now: Those who make bad jokes will suffer SOB under Dr. Worm IIRC. And then FUs will come.

Fingon
13 June 2004, 07:57 PM
Intresting, the poll. 2/1 ratio.

Do you think someone could put togeather a dictionary of Holonet Acronyms and Abbreeviations (HAA)?

Rogue Janson
14 June 2004, 02:59 AM
Like I said, a list with most of them in already exists here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=3#37) in the FAQ. If anyone wanted to get on to Moridin with some of the newer ones (KotOR, G&tORW, etc.) I'm sure he'd update it.
And I'm sure there are already numerous dictionaries for the more general internet abbreviations.

johnnyputrid
14 June 2004, 06:20 AM
I can understand people's confusion at acronyms (or initializations as was pointed out) being in the military. Just trying to wade through some of the techical speak can be a daunting task. Try these on for size (I'm pretty sure none of them are classified):

LBE (Load Bearing Equipment)
BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship)
MOPP (Mission Oriented Protective Posture)
SPORTS (Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap, Shoot)
SALUTE (Size, Activity, Location, Uniform, Time, Equipment)
SITREP (Situation Report)
OPORD (Operations Order)
SINCGARS (Single-Channel Ground/Air Radio System)
TOC (Tactical Operations Center)

These are just a few of the terms you'll need to know during Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT). After that, depending on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), you'll soon PCS (Permanent Change of Station) to your next duty assignment until your DEROS (Date Eligible to Return from Overseas) or your ETS (Expiriation Term of Service). Your PCS may even be held up by an MRB (Medical Review Board) or a PSI (Personal Security Investigation). This is of course all based upon your PEBD (Pay Entry Base Date) or your BASD (Basic Active Service Date), which are determined in part by your DIEMS (Date of Initial Entry into Military Service). Depending on your TIS (Time In Service) and your DOR (Date of Rank) you may have to finish out your RSO (Remaining Service Obligation) in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve).

But my favoirte military acronym has to be GRUNT (Ground Reconaissance Under-Fire Navigational Technician).:D

Fingon
14 June 2004, 02:33 PM
Hoooly crap. 8o

But my favoirte military acronym has to be GRUNT (Ground Reconaissance Under-Fire Navigational Technician).

Weta also has a grunt: Guaranteed Rendering of Unlimited Number if Things. Used it to make little orcs in Lord of the Rings.

Wow, that was really random.

Kanner Ra'an
16 June 2004, 09:19 AM
All the letters are making my head hurt. I thought the not getting shot part was the hardest thing about being a soldier. After reading that i say bring on the bullets.

RemyLeBeau
16 June 2004, 10:47 AM
yeah, i agree with Kanner Ra'an. most of us think that.
however, if i were to be a soldier, i'd want to be a sniper. B)
Yeah, like someone's signature said, you can't fight what you can't see.
Besides, ghillie suits are awesome. :D

wolverine
16 June 2004, 11:29 AM
Egads, my sig got a mention!! Yippeee!!!!!

Yea, my character in the Sparks realm is a sniper template, and that is his motto.

Fingon
16 June 2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I would assume not getting it would be favorable....:D

Sarge
16 June 2004, 10:03 PM
Johnnyputrid, you forgot the "Pull" in SPORTS. How the #$% do you think you're gonna "Observe" anything without pulling the charging handle back? Drop and gimme twenty. @#*&ing army pukes... :D

Since I'm a flyer, I get to refer to the groundpounders as the PBI. Poor bloody infantry.

johnnyputrid
17 June 2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Sarge

Since I'm a flyer, I get to refer to the groundpounders as the PBI. Poor bloody infantry.

PBI pretty much sums up the infantry. We claim to be as hardcore as it gets, but we're really jealous of you flyboys, with your fancy flight suits and aviator glasses. Maybe I should've joined the Air Farce instead.:D

Ardent
17 June 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
PBI pretty much sums up the infantry. We claim to be as hardcore as it gets, but we're really jealous of you flyboys, with your fancy flight suits and aviator glasses. Maybe I should've joined the Air Farce instead.:D

I think it's really about the erect stripes, myself. I mean, let's be honest, right? Aviator glasses..meh. Aviator glasses not make one Tom Cruise.

johnnyputrid
17 June 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Ardent

I think it's really about the erect stripes, myself. I mean, let's be honest, right? Aviator glasses..meh. Aviator glasses not make one Tom Cruise.

Bah, Tom Cruise was a pansy in that movie.

Odd fact: The chevron ( the stripe), which is how the American military denotes it's NCO ranks, is actually an acient male fertility symbol. Except in the Navy and Air Force. Their chevrons point downward. I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but knowing my uncle, who was a sailor during Korea and had 11 children, it apparently didn't mean he lacked male fertility.;)

RemyLeBeau
17 June 2004, 03:55 PM
Tom Cruise???
a pansy???

Sarge
17 June 2004, 08:07 PM
I'll second the pansiness of Cruise, and throw in a cheap shot at Top Gun. If you want to learn anything about air combat, disregard everything you see in that movie, because it's wrong about almost everything. I'm flying missions over Iraq and Afghanistan and have been trained in the basics of air combat maneuvers, so I know what I'm talking about. The people who made Top Gun didn't. In fact, they hired a technical advisor who repeatedly suggested ways to make the film more realistic, but the filmmakers always disregarded his advice and went with what "looked cool". :rolleyes:

Ardent
18 June 2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Sarge
I'll second the pansiness of Cruise, and throw in a cheap shot at Top Gun. If you want to learn anything about air combat, disregard everything you see in that movie, because it's wrong about almost everything. I'm flying missions over Iraq and Afghanistan and have been trained in the basics of air combat maneuvers, so I know what I'm talking about. The people who made Top Gun didn't. In fact, they hired a technical advisor who repeatedly suggested ways to make the film more realistic, but the filmmakers always disregarded his advice and went with what "looked cool". :rolleyes:

Wait, who said anything about realistic? The only implication was that Tom Cruise was cool. Now, back in the day, that was true. Short, yes, a pansy in real life, probably, but cool.

Sarge
19 June 2004, 02:59 AM
I forgot why I was posting here in the first place...

AAA - anti-aircraft artillery
SAM - surface to air missile
AAM - air to air missile
ASM - air to surface missile
ALCM - air launched cruise missile
ECM - electronic countermeasures
TACAN - tactical air navigation
HSI - horizontal situation indicator
ADI - attitude and direction indicator
VSI - vertical speed indicator
ASI - airspeed indicator

These are just a few of the abbreviations I deal with.