PDA

View Full Version : Darn XBox Exclusives stealing all the good games

RemyLeBeau
15 June 2004, 07:11 PM
Yeah, the title says most of it.

I read a rave review about Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, which hailed the game on high. I was pumped, being a big fan of action games. Anyway, I had just finished the review and thought I'd go blow a couple dozen bucks (If only) to get it, when wham... It's an XBox Exclusive. What the heck?!?!? If Microsoft wants to 'branch out' and try to get a piece of the game console pie, then maybe they should know when to give up, too! Rrrrr. :mad:
I wouldn't mind if they came out with a crappy piece of junk console, either - they just decided to make off with as much of our money as they can by reserving the cream of their crop for their exclusive console. I say we boycott XBox, then storm their manufacturing warehouse, and convert a thousand shipments of Halo and Riddick into PS2-compatible games! Woo-Hoo! :D

Fingon
15 June 2004, 07:58 PM
Why?

:D

XBOX!!!

Dr_Worm
15 June 2004, 09:37 PM
I was with you for a long time Remy, but I gave in and got an Xbox at christmas and have never looked back. I love my PS2 for soem games, but to tell the truth it is Tony Hawk that I mostly play (do not like the xbox controls for THUG). MY buddies have been HALO maniacs for ages and have really gotten me in to the craze. There is jsut no FPS out there like it, at least until the fabled HALO 2 comes out. I have played Riddick and it is damn fun...really groundbreaking. Honestly, I eventually realized that it is an exclusive marketplace and that is the way it will be. I got a refubished XB for less than a hundred bucks, and it has been well worth it. The reality is that if you want to play the greatest array for games, you really need to have both XB and PS2. You really can't blame Mirosith for what has become standard operatin procedure. If Sony had the clout they would be producing exclusive titles as well. As a former loather of XB I think you would do well to get both...they are a lot of fun.

Codym
16 June 2004, 03:39 AM
I was peeved when I found out Riddick was an X-Box only game - I wanted it on the PC, where the game could have reached its full potential. However, since X-Box is the next best thing to a PC, so be it. If they tried this stunt with something like Halo or KOTOR, then I may have called for blood...

Before ranting against X-Box for exlusive titles, rant that the forementioned Sony Playstation first, and the Game Cube. They've both done it more often. And at the end of the day, how is Microsith any worse than Fony? Both are megacorps trying to steal the hard earned cash of the common geek (myself included, though I wouldn't touch the PS2 with a 20ft lightsaber) :D

Fingon
16 June 2004, 05:59 AM
I agree.
Yeah, lets yell at microsoft for having Xbox olny games!! :?

I don't thing the Xbox would have survived if Halo had been a multi-system game.

Jedi_Staailis
16 June 2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Fingon

I don't thing the Xbox would have survived if Halo had been a multi-system game.

The point of an exclusive game is to make your console more attractive to buyers. If all games were released for all consoles, you'd have to think that the one with the best hardware (given similar price) would win. That's the Xbox anyway. Gamecube and PSII survive on their own exclusive titles, and people buy consoles based on what games they want to play.

Ardent
16 June 2004, 07:11 AM
Learn to hunt down the lower profile (read: better than mass-market garbage propaganda-fed to you any day) games. I'm playing Thief III and FarCry when I get the opportunity. Oh, as an aside, FarCry is vastly superior to Halo except that UbiSoft, having no real experience with FPSes, let the developer fungle-up their multiplayer release maps. But that's easily fixed, thanks to the ridiculously powerful terrain/level generator packaged with the game.

Thief III is about as awesome as every Thief fan hoped & expected it would be, and a little bit more. I have a few complaints, but the only really unsolvable one was the token presence of the thieves' highway. IMHO, the thieves' highway should have been central to the construction of the game and instead was relegated to one city ward and in a very token manner, at best.

Oh, and never ever buy X-box first release titles for your PC. One, as a way of sending a message to Microsoft. Secondly, they're usually horribly sub-par (read: Halo for PC) as Microsoft doesn't put even basic effort into 'ports except changing the few dozen lines of code that need to be shifted to get the game to boot in WindowsNT rather than Xbox's proprietary OS and packaging an installer.

Jedi_Staailis
16 June 2004, 08:41 AM
Oh, and never ever buy X-box first release titles for your PC. One, as a way of sending a message to Microsoft. Secondly, they're usually horribly sub-par (read: Halo for PC) as Microsoft doesn't put even basic effort into 'ports except changing the few dozen lines of code that need to be shifted to get the game to boot in WindowsNT rather than Xbox's proprietary OS and packaging an installer.
Can't say I agree with you on this one. Knights of the Old Republic, for example, was PC Game of the Year for a number of publications. Though it still retained a few annoying vestiges of the Xbox interface, the revised control scheme and interface worked well for the PC. And the real kicker is that PC users got extra content for their release.

Rostek
16 June 2004, 09:28 AM
True there, KOTOR is sweet on PC. I've got a PS2, and it's nice, but am waiting for an oppertunity to get a refurbished xBox. Why punish myself and not get a system that allows me to play sweet games like Riddick, Crimson Skies, [i] or Halo simply because I think xBoxes are getting special treatment from the development world?

RemyLeBeau
16 June 2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
I was with you for a long time Remy, but I gave in and got an Xbox at christmas and have never looked back. I love my PS2 for soem games, but to tell the truth it is Tony Hawk that I mostly play (do not like the xbox controls for THUG). MY buddies have been HALO maniacs for ages and have really gotten me in to the craze. There is jsut no FPS out there like it, at least until the fabled HALO 2 comes out. I have played Riddick and it is damn fun...really groundbreaking. Honestly, I eventually realized that it is an exclusive marketplace and that is the way it will be. I got a refubished XB for less than a hundred bucks, and it has been well worth it. The reality is that if you want to play the greatest array for games, you really need to have both XB and PS2. You really can't blame Mirosith for what has become standard operatin procedure. If Sony had the clout they would be producing exclusive titles as well. As a former loather of XB I think you would do well to get both...they are a lot of fun.

Well, as for getting both consoles, I have one word: money.
I'm a fourteen-year old kid!!!
I practically had to BEG my parents just to get me the PS2!
(I've also tried to get a job, but we live about 20 miles from town.)
Anyway, the PS2 I chose over the XBox because it had great controls.
I played HALO (The GOD of all video games, I agree) at a friend's
and didn't like the controls that much. Just one more finger per hand... :D
Anyway, I am just saying that I probably COULD get an XBox, but I don't
want to support MacroSith in anything but OS's. (Those are good. They
need to stay with those.)

Oh, by the way... you traitor. :)

Fingon
16 June 2004, 07:31 PM
Well, as for getting both consoles, I have one word: money.

Know exactly what you feel. I actually don't have any video game system (except a PC of course)

and didn't like the controls that much

Really? I LOVE the Xbox controls. Especially the giant ones... Too bad they discontinued them.

Darth_Cassed
16 June 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Fingon
Really? I LOVE the Xbox controls. Especially the giant ones... Too bad they discontinued them.

Wow Fingon, I thought I was the only one who still used the big ones. I get ridiculed by my friends for still using them!

In any case, exclusive titles are what keeps any console afloat. And Microsoft is very able to buy up all the companies to make exclusive titles.

It's a console war, of course it's not fair ;)

Dr_Worm
16 June 2004, 08:24 PM
My refurbish came with chunky controlers, but I immediatly went out and bought 2 third party controllers. I love them, and the only time the chunky ones get used is when we have HALO night and multiple machines. I did get HALO for the PC before giving in and buying an XB, but it was pretty lame...actually it was almost too easy. I know PC gamers everywhere cringe when people say it, but prefer a game pad controller to a mouse and keyboard anyday. If there was someway to use NWN with a game pad I would do it in a second.

RemyLeBeau
17 June 2004, 07:43 AM
well, the reason i like PS2 controllers is that they contour to the hand
and are light, while the XBox one can only do the former. It also might
matter which one you start out with, though.

Anyway, all i was trying to say was that Halo, Riddick, and all the other
XBox-Exclusive games are completely out of the question for me, and I
really think that if MacroSith wants money, they should take out the XBox
exclusives and make PS2 and CrapCube :D pay royalties instead.

Huh. maybe Halo will be open for PS2 market once Halo II comes out.
Of course, then we'll all be wanting Halo II. B)

Darth_Cassed
17 June 2004, 07:48 AM
Microsoft owns Bungie ;)

So I don't think we'll be seeing any Halo on PS2 anytime soon.

Ardent
17 June 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis

Can't say I agree with you on this one. Knights of the Old Republic, for example, was PC Game of the Year for a number of publications. Though it still retained a few annoying vestiges of the Xbox interface, the revised control scheme and interface worked well for the PC. And the real kicker is that PC users got extra content for their release.

KotOR was developed and produced by BioWare. The responsibility for the 'port was theirs, which is why it's vastly superior to the Halo 'port. The only part of KotOR Microshaft had any part of was leveraging BioWare into an exclusivity contract for six months with them. Which BioWare improved on this time around with simultaneous release to PC (which, quite honestly, is where their fanbase is -- NWN remains one of the most-played games still).

Anything Microsoft is responsible for 'porting is half-assed and crappy by PC standards. You can stick a big fat period behind that statement insofar as I'm concerned, because I still haven't seen proof to the contrary.