PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

johnpatrickmcp
18 June 2004, 04:23 AM
Okay I have been waiting for the Star Wars Trilogy to come out on DVD since that became the new universal format for home movies. Mainly becuase I couldn't wait to see what kind of cool extra features they would have and I would love to see an audio comentarty with George Lucas. I have started looking around and apparently the DVD's will be only the "Special Addition" version of the trilogy. There will be know option to watch the movies as they were originally presented to the world. I have to say that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. Why is George Lucas so ashamed of the original three movies that he is pretty much erasing them in favor of the flashier new "Special Edditon". Personally I don't like the special eddition, never have probably never will. The CGI dosen't seem to fit right with the rest of the movies and to quote Clerks the animated series "Man thats the lamest thing I've heard since Greedo shooting first." About the only thing I did like about it was the new song at the end of Jedi, although the endding montage didn't really make sense with the fact that acording to the rest of the universe the rest of the Galaxy was still firmly in the grip of the empire. In my oppinion the movies acchived perfection with the "digitally remastered in THX" version and unless they put that version on DVD I will just rely on the copy that I made off of my old VHS.

End rant

Fingon
18 June 2004, 06:10 AM
This thread is already in Rebillon Era.

I personally agree with you. CG doesn't really fit with the Origional Series.

and the puppet is WAY better than the CG Yoda!

Snib Snub
18 June 2004, 09:15 AM
Look at it from a different perspective...if you were Frank Oz, you probably love the new CG Yoda - don't you think you'd be sick of sticking your arm up muppet's butts by now, too? :D

ij thompson
18 June 2004, 03:20 PM
http://originaltrilogy.com

Pass it on. Tell it to the world. ;)

Fingon
18 June 2004, 08:30 PM
You'd think nearly sixty thousand signatures would be enough, but nooo! :rolleyes:

ij thompson
18 June 2004, 10:05 PM
Yes, but although things look bleak, a representative of Lucasfilm was recently quoted as stating that LFL was "viewing the petition with interest". :raised:

My guess is, we may see the Theatrical cuts on a big ol' Episode I-VI boxset in the future. I mean c'mon, ol' George is gonna want somma that bootleg money, oh my, yes! :D

Reverend Strone
18 June 2004, 10:34 PM
Just to rub a little salt into this wound, in case you are unaware these DVD releases will infact be not just the special editions, but will also feature some new tweaks and additions. Most would appear to be aimed at alligning the classic trilogy more closely with the prequels. Some have all but been confirmed, but we'll all have to wait a little longer yet to learn how extensive the full range of changes will be.

ij thompson
18 June 2004, 10:56 PM
That's right!

Actually, I'm pleased about some of the rumoured changes. For instance, I'll be happy to see Ian McDiarmid in ESB. He's the one prequel actor who seemed largely uneffected by George's 'Midas-touch-in-reverse'.

Truly, I wouldn't mind if Lucas made a new version of these films every year, as long as the originals were preserved, for history's sake! :P

johnpatrickmcp
19 June 2004, 05:36 AM
See and I don't mind the tweaks like have the actor that will play the adult Anikin replace the previous ghost of Anikin Skywalker. If you want to make a few tweaks for continuity sake than go ahead but when you have comuter genorated Dewback added to the background for no other purpose than to just fill space, that is when I have a problem. I like the original model shoots of the starfighter battles becuase they looked real. It looked like a physical object, but the CGI X-wings look too clean and you can planely tell that they are CGI. But you guys are probably right. They will release a "Comemrative Original Trilogy DVD box set" that will contain the orginal theatrical release and it will probably cost $20 more than the orginal but if that is what it take, i'll buy it.

Fingon
19 June 2004, 08:50 AM
I like the original model shoots of the starfighter battles becuase they looked real. It looked like a physical object, but the CGI X-wings look too clean and you can planely tell that they are CGI.

Exactly. You can't make somthing look more real than the real thing. That's why I LOVE the origional series. Everything WAS real. Yoda. The ships. The Sarlacc. Everything.

This probably came from staring at video games for too long, but can always tell what items are CG in a movie. In the Lord of the Rings, the first time I saw the battle of Helm's Deep, I could always tell which scenes were CG. At the battle of the Pelinor Fields, I had no problem seperating the real and fake horses. It kind of bugs me.

johnpatrickmcp
19 June 2004, 12:04 PM
I just signed the petition (#59,988) and am getting ready to email it to all of my friends. Hopefully an outpouring of this magnitude will show them the error of thier ways that they might abbandon the dark path of screwing with something that already rocks! :D