PDA

View Full Version : "Let's make one movie... I mean nine... I mean six.

cheshire
22 July 2004, 11:06 AM
Here's a little something that I found in IMDB's trivia section for Star Wars. I'd never heard it put this way, but it explains a lot.

Although it is often claimed by Lucas, George that Star Wars was always intended as part of a series (originally nine parts, later six), producer Kurtz, Gary claimed differently in a interview in 1999. According to Kurtz, Star Wars was meant to be a standalone film. It was only after the film's incredible success that he and Lucas got together to consider sequels. They came up with the idea that Star Wars was the fourth story of a nine-part series and penned rough outlines for each episode. After releasing the "fifth" episode (The Empire Strikes Back (1980)), Lucas made Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) with Spielberg, Steven. The success of this film convinced Lucas to increase the emphasis on action in the "sixth" Star Wars episode. According to Kurtz, the Emperor was not originally going to make an appearance until episode 9. Luke and Leia were not brother and sister. There was no Death Star II. The search for Han Solo was the main plot of the film, during which Luke would have furthered his Jedi training. Solo was going to die in the final battle. Luke was going to go off to complete/continue his Jedi training and Leia was going to resume her position as Queen of her people, separating the major characters in a "downer" ending similar to that of Episode 5. Kurtz strongly objected to Lucas'schanges and insisted they should stay with the story they had originally planned. Lucas just as strongly disagreed and the two parted company. (Kurtz left to make Dark Crystal, The (1982) with Henson, Jim and hasn't worked with Lucas since.)

Kind of makes sense why Lucas hasn't been able to make up his mind as to how many movies he's wanted to make.

BrianDavion
22 July 2004, 12:10 PM
actually what really happened is he wanted to do 1 3 hour movie instead of 3 1 hour movies.

thats why the death star 2 was in ROTJ, because it was supposed to be DS 1

Ardent
22 July 2004, 04:14 PM
This isn't really new information. What has always confused me is why Kurtz would claim this was AFTER the success of the original Star Wars. After all, the prologue in every copy available to the public marks it as Episode IV.

Either Lucas was a much better planner than anyone gives him credit for, or the decision to stick Star Wars behind a prequel (be it one 3-hour movie ala LotR or three 1-hour movies) was made prior to general release. Of course, someone who saw the original theatre release and remembers whether or not the prologue included the definitive proof...

BrianDavion
22 July 2004, 05:14 PM
or episode IV was added in after the fact. which is what was done in this case :)

proxima centauri
22 July 2004, 10:47 PM
yup... in the first release, no episode 4... ;)

Korpil
22 July 2004, 11:41 PM
Yes... the subtitle "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added on the 1979 re-release of Star Wars, just in time to create some hype for ESB.

BTW, reading some of the old Bantha Tracks in Hyperspace, one of them even mentions the possibility of 12 movies! Can you imagine it? I can't... would it be like watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy expanded editions?

Master Dao Rin
23 July 2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Korpil
Can you imagine it? I can't... would it be like watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy expanded editions?

And this is a bad thing, how again? :)

johnnyputrid
23 July 2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin

And this is a bad thing, how again? :)

No kidding. That would be excellent. But when should these "extra" films take place, after ROTJ, between Episodes III and IV, or before TPM? Who would write them? Who would direct them? I remember some rumor I heard someplace about possibly having Speilberg do the directing on a Star Wars project. Personally, I'd like to see at least another trilogy taking place after Episode III, showing the Jedi Purge in all its nastiness, and another trilogy occuring well before TPM, perhaps all the way back to the ToTJ era.

Ah, wishful thinking. I doubt it'll ever happen.:(

Wesly Senesca
23 July 2004, 06:25 PM
There's always the ever popular Thrawn Trilogy idea, but that would require the old--emphasis on old--actors repising their roles, or suitable replacements.

Ah, wishful thinking. I doubt it'll ever happen.

Ditto.

BrianDavion
23 July 2004, 07:04 PM
the NJOA would be best in terms of the old actors being at the right age

Ronin
24 July 2004, 07:34 AM
I've heard the 12 story rumour too...but in all likelihood GL just decided to condense it into the 6 we know about.

Things and rumours like this are gonna keep coming up...but I seriously expect him to end it with episode 3...

cheshire
25 July 2004, 11:13 AM
What would be intersesting is to get ahold of the rough plans for episodes 6-9 and turn them into an infinities comic or something. I'm not much into comics, but I'd buy that.

stoic_75
25 July 2004, 01:40 PM
Maybe Lucas could let his kids have full creative control over the next three movies. They always seem ot come up with good ideas.

ij thompson
25 July 2004, 02:26 PM
It is too bad... I'd truly have like to see Hamill, Fisher, et al play the kinds of roles that Guiness and Cushing did in the original. But there's no denying it... the story was wrapped up nicely with part VI, and to go any further would just be redundant.

But hey, think of it... "Chewie vs. Jason"!!! :D