PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures

Spoon
25 July 2004, 11:18 AM
Well it appears to me that the star wars miniatures line is a very good idea. I am wonder at what cost though. Previously my friends and i used the pewter figures from the Star Wars Monopoly set. That was fun for a while and then we got into buying these figures from other pewter figure games like War Hammer. This gave an absolute rendering to our charactor because of the wide variety and options. These figures however were incredibly expensive. An average of 10 dollars a figure. The Star Wars line will be out soon and i have seen no pictures of figures and i would like to know if they are customisable. For instance, will a Wookie be holding a bowcaster or is it an option that he can weild two death hammers like my friend's character. It would just be good to know if these figures could bring a more perfectly suited game to not only my table but everyone's. Not everyone will meet Han Solo in their games, much less Luke Skywalker as a Jedi. Do we need the heros from the movies or do we need the heros on our character sheets? The Storm Troopers are a good idea though.

ij thompson
25 July 2004, 12:31 PM
Well, naturally WotC isn't going to start a 'custom miniatures' enterprise! :P

However, lots of people enjoy customizing minis, and can get pretty good at it, to. I'm lousy at it (painting is one thing, sculpting and gluing is quite another), but I appreciate your desire for minis depicting your PCs that are yours, and not "let's pretend Han Solo here is my character".

I go for pure art in that regard. Pop by SWAG, and see if one of those fine folks'll draw up your character for you. Then, whip up a little cardboard counter in Photoshop, Paint or whatever. Print him onto card, stick him into a plastic base from one of your old board games, and voila! Instant unique hero!

He may not be a real, official plastic miniature, but he's yours... and that alone is worth quite a lot! ;)

Ardent
26 July 2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson
[b]Well, naturally WotC isn't going to start a 'custom miniatures' enterprise! :P

WotC may not...but the Network is home to a lot of talented sculptors who may be able to duplicate the standards of the miniatures for persons interesting in something more unique.

However, lots of people enjoy customizing minis, and can get pretty good at it, to. I'm lousy at it (painting is one thing, sculpting and gluing is quite another), but I appreciate your desire for minis depicting your PCs that are yours, and not "let's pretend Han Solo here is my character".

Customizing minis was a huge timesink when I still played Warhammer. I suppose anyone could do it with a bit of practice (I mean, I could, and unless it's terrain/building models, I'm pretty bad with three-dimensional art).

I go for pure art in that regard. Pop by SWAG, and see if one of those fine folks'll draw up your character for you. Then, whip up a little cardboard counter in Photoshop, Paint or whatever. Print him onto card, stick him into a plastic base from one of your old board games, and voila! Instant unique hero!

He may not be a real, official plastic miniature, but he's yours... and that alone is worth quite a lot! ;) [b]

That's a great suggestion, IJ. But then, if everyone else has a plastic/pewter figure, you may get some envy going on.

Nemo Sage
26 July 2004, 02:56 PM
A lot of the minis I use for star wars are heavily modified warhammer pieces. But I didn't use any of their high end expensive pieces. Insted I just bought their low end starter squad boxes. These give you several sprues of heads, arms, legs, bodys, and other pieces. I have several boxes, each devoted to heads, arms, ect. At my local game shop, these boxes sell for about 30 dollars, and usually say they have enough pieces to build 12-18 guys. But they give ya enough extra pieces, that usually you can get more than that, exspecailly when you combine boxes.
For most of the humans and aliens, I use the 40 k catachan and the fantasy Imp. Militia. You can actually build a nice looking Twi'lek using the pieces of the fantasy bow as the Lekku(headtails). For armored troops like clone troopers ans mandalorians, I used the 40k Eldar
Now I'll admit I do this cause I like scratch building and making minis. But its a reasonable way to do it. My players always get excited when I hand them a custom mini for thier character that looks just like their pic. All it really takes is time, and a little bit of effort.

Ghengis Ska
27 July 2004, 01:22 PM
Spoon there are a lot of pictures out for the Minis now, 54 of the 60 miniatures now show pictures... And from some one who has bought and customized a few of the D&D minis, it is pretty easy, I have also done action figure customes and it is on line with that in dificulty. I have een mae some of my own SW minins out of other companies stuff so i don't think it will be very hard to custmize these. The biggest problem might be getting the parts to do it.

johnpatrickmcp
27 July 2004, 06:05 PM
Check out the warhammer 40k website online store. You can order the mini's in peices and get exactly what you want without haveing to pay for a full blister pack that may contain two or three mini's.