PDA

View Full Version : The Books of the Rebellion Era

Deck
25 July 2004, 11:55 AM
This thread is intended to be a source listing for the novels, books, stories and comics for the <i>Rebellion Era</i> material. I will start with a chronology of the novels and books. :)

<font size="3"><b>Novels & Books</b></font>

<b>Pre "A New Hope"</b>

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
<i>by James Luceno</i>

The Paradise Snare
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

The Hutt Gambit Part A
<i>byAnn C. Crispin</i>

Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
<i>by L. Neil Smith</i>

Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
<i>by L. Neil Smith</i>

The Hutt Gambit Part B
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
<i>by L. Neil Smith</i>

Rebel Dawn Part A
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

Han Solo at Star's End
<i>by Brian Daley</i>

Rebel Dawn Part B
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

Han Solo's Revenge
<i>by Brian Daley</i>

Rebel Dawn Part C
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy
<i>by Brian Daley</i>

Rebel Dawn Part D
<i>by Ann C. Crispin</i>

<b>0-1 Years after “A New Hope“</b>

A New Hope
<i>by George Lucas</i>

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Flashback Section)
· The Mandalorian Armor
· Slave Ship
· Hard Merchandise
<i>by K. W. Jeter</i>

Galaxy of Fear 1-6
· Eaten Alive
· City of the Dead
· Plague Planet
· The Nightmare Machine
· Ghost of the Jedi
· Army of Terror
<i>by John Whitman</i>

<b>1-2 Years after “A New Hope”</b>

Allegiance
<i>by Timothy Zahn</i>

Galaxy of Fear 7-9
· The Swarm
· The Brain Spiders
· Spore
<i>by John Whitman</i>

<b>2-3 Years after “A New Hope”</b>

Splinter of the Mind's Eye
<i>by Alan Dean Foster</i>

Galaxy of Fear 10-12
· The Doomsday Ship
· Clones
· The Hunger
<i>by John Whitman</i>

<b>3-4 Years after “A New Hope”</b>

The Empire Strikes Back
<i>by Donald F. Glut</i>

Shadwos of the Empire
<i>by Steve Perry</i>

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Presence Section)
· The Mandalorian Armor
· Slave Ship
· Hard Merchandise</li>
<i>by K. W. Jeter</i>

Return of the Jedi
<i>by James Kahn</i>

<b>Post "A New Hope"</b>

Immediately following the <i>Battle of Endor</i>:
The Truce At Bakura
<i>by Kathy Tyres</i>

Deck
25 July 2004, 12:08 PM
And I will continue immediately with the "Tales" books, which I had forgotten. ;)

These books, however, are a bit difficult to set into our timeframe. Maybe I will make a chronology for the single stories one day. :)

<font size="3"><b>"Tales from..." Books</b></font>

<b>About the time of "A New Hope"</b>
Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
<i>edited by Kevin J. Anderson</i>

<b>About the time of "The Emprie Strikes Back"</b>
Tales of the Bounty Hunters

<b>About the time of "Return of the Jedi"</b>
Tales from Jabba's Palace

Regarding the book "Tales from the Empire", I have a list of all short stories of the <i>WEG Adventure Journal</i> from which these stories are taken. I will post it soon. :)

Faraer
22 September 2004, 09:27 AM
Tim Zahn's to write a new hardcover novel set between Episodes IV and V that's scheduled for February 2007. We don't know anything else about it yet.

After the outright novels there's a bewildering mass of comics, children's and young-adult books, and vaguely narrative merchandise set in the Rebellion era. One series worth mentioning is the Star Wars Missions novella-and-gamebooks by Ryder Windham (one of the greatest and most unsung EU authors) and Dave Wolverton, which chronicle what the heroes of Yavin do after Episode IV.

Hightower
28 September 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
Tim Zahn's to write a new hardcover novel set between Episodes IV and V that's scheduled for February 2007. We don't know anything else about it yet.

Yippee! Where/When did you find this out?

Faraer
29 September 2004, 05:58 AM
On starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/09/news20040901.html), after it was first mentioned by Sue Rostoni in the site's messageboards.

Filter
27 December 2004, 07:00 AM
http://www.theforce.net/timeline/
Theforce.net has a good timeline were most of the books are listed.

jedi_lucky
7 April 2005, 11:02 AM
excited to see Zahn has a new book coming out! to back it will be a very long time from now!!!

lucky
:daala:

Admiral Piett
4 September 2005, 09:10 PM
Personally I think Zahn is the best author of them all.

gmjabreson
27 September 2005, 07:40 AM
Admiral Piett,

You are just a little off on that answer, I would say Lucas was the best, since he created the Star Wars universe from the beginning, But as for all the others, Zahn all the way.

Simply put Timothy Zahn rocks.

Darth_Xanthor
2 October 2005, 06:41 AM
OH NONONONONONNONO

Luca is a horrible author/writer.

He is an AMAZING IDEA MAN!!! I'll give him that. He came up with star wars.

However he can't write worth ××××.

Timothy Zahn is a perfectexample of an good author (i thnk i have yet to read his stuf. HE can't be worse then KJA so I'm safe. Horrible Jedi Accadamy Trilogy)

I like Stackpole.

But needless to say...Zahn is the most respected SW author

PsychoInfiltrator
1 November 2005, 02:50 PM
Zahn's Outbound Flight, though in the wrong era, is set to come out soon. Already got my hold on at the library. (Well, to be honmest I had my hold on it in August, and haven't checked if its in since Spetembe,r so it might be out right now...)

gmjabreson
8 December 2005, 06:59 PM
anything by Zahn is bound to be good. as for the others, weeeeell. some ok, some sucked the big bantha****.

Moridin
8 April 2006, 07:32 AM
Saved.

Stratos
27 October 2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Xanthor
OH NONONONONONNONO

Lucas is a horrible author/writer.

He is an AMAZING IDEA MAN!!! I'll give him that. He came up with star wars.

However he can't write worth ××××.

Timothy Zahn is a perfectexample of an good author (i thnk i have yet to read his stuf. HE can't be worse then KJA so I'm safe. Horrible Jedi Accadamy Trilogy)

I like Stackpole.

But needless to say...Zahn is the most respected SW author

Agreed. But Stackpole and Allston are my two favorite although neither wrote my favorite SW novel... Cloak of Deception.

ij thompson
27 October 2006, 02:50 PM
Might wanna add "ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster" to Star Wars - A New Hope, since GL didn't actually write that book.

Stratos
7 November 2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
Tim Zahn's to write a new hardcover novel set between Episodes IV and V

Star Wars: Allegiance by Timothy Zahn
at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Allegiance-Star-Wars-Timothy-Zahn/dp/0345477383/ref=pd_sim_b_3/002-4369656-9332824) - set for January 2007.

"The dean of Star Wars fiction returns with this exploration of events between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Luke Skywalker has perhaps the easiest time, as his studying of the Jedi way is mentored and monitored by Obi-Wan Kenobi. Prince Leia is dedicated to the Rebellion but aware of the price this can exact and ambiguous about her feelings toward Han Solo, who is ambiguous about the Rebellion, even though he knows he is a marked man after his role in the destruction of the Death Star. And we meet Mara Jade as a young Hand to the Emperor Palpatine, still developing her abilities as a troubleshooter. In this case, the trouble can shoot back--a band of renegade stormtroopers, half-vigilante and half-pirate. Mara finds good men and women in the service of the Empire, but over all looms the shadow of Darth Vader, who has a short way with both failure and rivals. The author paints a rather large canvas in a comparatively compact book, with his usual spare prose, swift pacing, and eye and ear for details in the world he is depicting. More exploration of the in-between periods in the saga will be heartily welcomed. Roland Green
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved"

gmjabreson
7 November 2006, 05:35 PM
Yep that sounds like classic Zahn. I'll be snagging that one once it comes out. Thanks for the heads up.

Aldaron
6 March 2007, 04:05 PM
As long as it doesn't have any twelve-year-old-game-referee nonsense like ysalimiri - the worst plot manipulation device since Tolkien had all the Orcs kill each other at Cirith Ungol...*shudder*

Lord Kjeran
14 June 2007, 09:33 AM
Chello!

I just finished Allegiance and I was suitably impressed...it definitely helps me with my Coalition ISS Peacekepper PC in my Rifts game!

Tony

tatooine_ghost
3 April 2008, 09:11 AM
i liked jedi trial.

Ice Hawk
12 July 2008, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't books of the rebellion era include X-Wing novels 1&2 (Rouge Squadron and Wedge's Gambit respectivly), since it was still considered the rebellion until they took Courscaunt?

Grade
1 September 2008, 01:35 PM
That would be New Republic era.

The best book of this period and there aren't many during this period, is Star Wars Allegiance.

But I'm liking the story of Force Unleashed, but some scenes seems focused on the videos that the Game will most important points in the story. While the rest seems somewhat cut off.

Deck
23 October 2008, 11:40 AM
Hello dear fellows!

Regarding the novel "The Force Unleashed" which I just finished reading, I feel lilke sharing my disappointment.

I think that "novel" is an offense for all novels in this case. I'd rather call it video game adaption. It's nothing more. You can clearly see where a new mission starts in the computer game. The storyflow is pretty bad and you have the feeling to read a video game. In my opinion among the very worst books ever.

It's just as if the money-spoilt people wanted a quick novel to call the whole mess "multimedia project". There was once a proper multimedia project, and you know it all. Shadows of the Empire, with a great soundtrack, outstanding novel, and probably a cool computer game.

The only useful part of the book is the mentioning of the "Rebel Alliance foundation". Which leads me to the question: Should we put this book into the Rebellion era?

Thoughts?

Regards,

~ HiAd

Grade
23 October 2008, 02:20 PM
I personally think that would be Rebellion Era, because the mere idea of Rebel Alliance began at the end of Clone Wars, like shown in the cut scenes of ROTS.

Deck I read both the novel and Comic and i agree with you on the novel, but the comic is also tells the story of the movies of the game and I would say is the worst comic I have read (but I'm not that huge reader of comics, that point alone prevent me to say: the worst comic ever).

The only problem I have with the creation of the rebellion is that the Senators where capture. Force Unleashed takes place two years before ANH. It is hard to believe that the Dark Lord of the Sith... the Emperor himself, would take 2 years to retaliate against these worlds and even worse let Leia Organa become Senator of Alderaan in the Imperial Senate. So the famous plea of Leia in ANH: "No! Alderaan is peaceful... we have no weapons!! You can't possibly..." gets vaped into outer space, just like that.

Jedi_Shadow
23 October 2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I can agree that The Force Unleashed is really a video game adaptation, but I can't say it was poorly written. While you can tell where each level begins, that's not all the book is about. It expands on characters (particularly Juno) that the game just doesn't take the time for. I felt that the book was a much richer experience than even the game, and am happy with my purchase.

That said, I felt that the graphic novel was pretty lackluster, and thankfully didn't buy it.

Now, as to whether this story falls in the Rebellion Era or not, I always thought that the era started at 0 BBY, when they finally stepped forward as a threat to the Empire. Any time before that is technically the Rise of the Empire Era, but I've always seen a sort of sub-era I like to call "the dark times", a transition period where the Empire is solidifying its power and the Alliance is getting organized. This fits snugly into that category, IMO.