PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Rebellion Era book!

Deck
25 July 2004, 12:15 PM
Hello folks!

I can't believe I never asked for this, at least I can't remember! ;) So let's give all members the opportunity to chose their favourite book/novel from the Rebellion Era!

We must get some fresh life into this forum! What is extremely difficult these days, due to new prequel movies and books, as well as due to the new EU novel series like <i>New Jedi Order</i>.

But it's <i>this</i> era here where it all begun! :)

Darth Fierce
25 July 2004, 12:47 PM
Of all the Rebellion era novels, personally I felt "Shadows of the Empire" was best, followed closely by many of the "Tales" books. SotE gave us an interesting glimpse of what supposedly happened between TESB and RotJ, and for that I am grateful. And may I say Guri rocked!!!

Darth Fierce :vader:

BrianDavion
25 July 2004, 12:56 PM
the rebelion era SB defines the rebellion era as being up to the thrawn trilogy, so I'd say the X-wing series

Deck
25 July 2004, 01:11 PM
Well, Brian, I wouldn't go with that. ;) When you read "Truce At Bakura" you know that the formal "Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets" was signed 1 week after the Battle of Endor. This marks the cut between the Rebellion and the New Republic, I'd say. :)

So we can talk about adding "Truce At Bakura" to our era here, but I think all books after that would clearly belong to the New Republic Era. :)

Nova Spice
25 July 2004, 06:21 PM
Shadows of the Empire was so well done and so successful, it almost felt as if it was a film itself. This is a no-brainer for me. The characters, events, and plot of SotE was dynamic in a unique manner. I was impressed about how good a job Steve Perry did writing a Rebellion-era novel without Han Solo. Yes, I know some of you felt that Dash Rendar was a carbon copy of Han, but I saw Dash as a different color in the spectrum of rogues and scoundrels. He was a true mercenary who did his job, got away with it, and moved on to bigger and better things. In essence, he was immune to the Galactic Civil War in a way that most Star Wars characters were not.

Fingon
27 July 2004, 04:36 PM
If Truce at Bakura had been on that list, it would have been my vote.

Anyway, I would have liked SotE, if it wasn't written specifically for children (Vader's "I blew his ship to bits" quote made me wince. Then again, I might have read a kiddy version).

Lord Kjeran
27 July 2004, 04:59 PM
Chello!

I voted for "Splinter"....probably because I read it when I was 8 and it was brand new. Before Empire and before the series started getting weird! ;)

I consider the first movie (and Splinter!) canon...and that's it!

That said, I almost voted for "Tales of the Empire" because of the GREAT short stories therein.

Nova Spice
27 July 2004, 07:46 PM
Anyway, I would have liked SotE, if it wasn't written specifically for children (Vader's "I blew his ship to bits" quote made me wince. Then again, I might have read a kiddy version).

Shadows of the Empire was not a children's book. It was one of the first, if not the first, Star Wars novel to introduce sexuality the saga. You might remember the scene with Leia and Xizor in his antechamber--where Leia basically all but gave in to the temptation of sleeping with him.

I've never heard anyone refer to SotE as being written for children. :?

Deck
27 July 2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

Shadows of the Empire was not a children's book. I've never heard anyone refer to SotE as being written for children. :?

Nova, before posting something like this, make sure you have all neccessary information. Because you are not right about this.

Have a look here: <a href="http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/r_shadowsjr.shtml">Shadows of the Empire: A Junior Novelization</a>

I hope this cleared things. :)

Fingon
28 July 2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks, Deck that clears that up.

Anyway, I didn't really like it becuase of the child-teen level writing in it. Same thing with that new Eragon book; I would have loved it if it had better writing.

Faraer
28 July 2004, 07:28 AM
The Rebellion era is 0 BBY-5 ABY (http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2000/10/news20001026.html). Though it might have been sensible to start it earlier, since the Rebellion and even the Galactic Civil War begin before Episode IV. In which case I'd vote for Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. In any case, you've left out Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine. And then, I think the Empire comic is better than most of the Rebellion-era prose fiction.

Nova Spice
28 July 2004, 09:21 AM
Nova, before posting something like this, make sure you have all neccessary information. Because you are not right about this.

There's two different versions of SotE it appears. So, we're both right. ;)

It appears Fingon read the "junior novelization." I read the standard version, which explains why we both came to different conclusions. :)

Deck
28 July 2004, 12:07 PM
Okay Gentlemen, here's what I have done now:

<li>Added Han Solo Trilogy to Timeline and Poll</li>
<li>Added Han Solo Trilogy II to Timeline and Poll</li>
<li>Added Land Trilogy to Timeline and Poll</li>
<li>Added Truce at Bakura to Timeline and Poll</li>

I hope everyone is satisfied now. :)

Chris Curtis
28 July 2004, 09:12 PM
Well, in that case, Deck... I'll be voting for the Han Solo Adventures by the excellent Brian Daley.

These have remained my favorite SW novels for years, and I don't really expect that to change soon. I can't really even put my finger on why I liked them so much, but I do. A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy was actually very good, as well.

BrianDavion
28 July 2004, 10:01 PM
you've left out Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine.

yeah but thats not an actual novel, thats just a shameless plug for a video game, one best left ignored

Deck
29 July 2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the support. That's exactly what I thought. It was my intention to leave it out. :)

Fingon
29 July 2004, 02:06 PM
t appears Fingon read the "junior novelization." I read the standard version, which explains why we both came to different conclusions.

Yes, unfortunately it appears so.

And by the way, had I not already voted, I'd vote for the Han trilogy. Very nice series.

Master Dao Rin
29 July 2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
Well, in that case, Deck... I'll be voting for the Han Solo Adventures by the excellent Brian Daley.

These have remained my favorite SW novels for years, and I don't really expect that to change soon. I can't really even put my finger on why I liked them so much, but I do. A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy was actually very good, as well.

Brian Daley gets my vote as well.

Anyone who says Star Wars novels started with Zahn are obviously dating themselves.

Daley rocks because the dialogue actually feels like a Star Wars movie. And because the introduced protagonists were actually original well-thought out characterizations.

He "got" Star Wars. No one since can claim that in the EU author circle.

The only one since that comes close is Jude Watson, but she lacks a level of testosterone in her writing that doesn't quite make it on par with Daley.

Of course, if the thread starter included Adventure Journal material - they did write short stories after all - I'd have to include Charlene Newcomb and Pablo Hildago in that mix as well.

To bad they never got book deals ...

Sarge
30 July 2004, 04:40 AM
Ditto all the kudos to Brian Daley. His books define the life of a smuggler on the rim. If you GM a SW RPG, they ought to be at the top of your must-read list. If most of my players hadn't already read them too, I'd borrow plots from them today. And I still plan on sending my campaign to one of Xim's forgotten strongholds.

Rogue Janson
30 July 2004, 09:25 AM
Clearly it's about time I borrowed/bought the Brian Daley Han Solo books. For now I'll go with the A.C.Crispin trilogy, which I thought were a good telling of how Han came to be the person we meet in A New Hope, and very good books in their own right.

Ineti
30 July 2004, 10:54 AM
While I think Splinter of the Mind's Eye is a great read and great fun (love the Yuzzem and the wandrella), I have to go with the Daley Han Solo books as the best of the lot. I got tons of enjoyment out of those books, and try to use the Corporate Sector a lot in my games.

Which makes me wonder if someone's come up with a d20 coversion for Gallandro? :)

Codym
30 July 2004, 04:14 PM
I put my vote in for Steve Perry's Shadows of the Empire, since it was one of the few novels to capture the beat and flow of SW, as well as one of the few novels to get into the mind of Vader and make him both sympathetic and menacing at the same time. And Xizor was one of the few truly interesting villians to come out of the EU.

I will always have a place in my heart of Han Solo at Star's End and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which were for the longest time the only SW novels I had other than the Scholastic versions of the movie adaptations.

Sithspawn
2 August 2004, 05:22 AM
Well I do like the early Han Solo books, especially Han Solo's Revenge. But I had to vote for Shadows of the Empire. Not just my favourite Star Wars book but one of my all time favourite books. Xizor is my favourite of all the EU characters (am I the only person who doesn't like Thrawn?). The book is well written. It's the way you start to feel sorry at times for Darth Vader, then stop and think 'hey, wait a minute, he's the bad guy too!'

Rogue Janson
2 August 2004, 09:30 AM
(am I the only person who doesn't like Thrawn?).
I don't much like him. Mary Sue character, as I think Faraer has said.

Shadows of the Empire didn't stick in my mind all that much except for Lando tossing a thermal detonator down a garbage chute, which I liked very much.

Oh, two things actually - Dash Rendar ... I'm the best pilot in the galaxy! Oh wait, I've just been hit by a piece of falling skyhook.

Rostek
11 August 2004, 01:59 PM
Gotta be Han Solo Adventures by the late, great, Brian Daley.
He wrote it like the Movie novelizations, and so then, as Lucas wrote them. While IMO he seemed to have a differant interpretation of the SW galaxy (not a bad thing mind), it was a purist's view. And although the series doesn't come close to Rogue Squadron in the overall rankings, it does occupy a special place in my heart. :)

Faraer
13 August 2004, 09:22 AM
Plenty of people don't like Thrawn. As for who's in the minority, there's no way to tell.

-- He's written to upstage the movie villains and even the heroes (no surprise it's called the 'Thrawn trilogy').
-- He's not a hero, or a genre-appropriate villain, so by rights he should be a bit player.
-- He doesn't have an emotional story arc.
-- He's a boring blue ‹bermensch.
-- He's like a cool heel in pro wrestling.
-- He has annoying admirers who think he's 'cool', a quality that has nothing to do with Star Wars.

The EU has much better villains, such as Granta Omega.

Codym
13 August 2004, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure where you get your information from, but the original Zahn's books didn't come with an overall title other than just plan, old Star Wars. The Thrawn trilogy is what it became know as by the fans (and eventually the default title the offical stuff now refers to it as.) As for why he is popular, it was probably because he was a thinking man's villian, someone who used stategy and intelligence rather than the dumb downed, shake my fist at the heroes losers that made up the majority of EU villianry. It's also why Xizor stood out in Shadows, again not another boring cliche.

Deck
19 September 2004, 12:58 PM
Time to give my vote too! ;)

But it's really not as easy. There are so many great books. I voted for the Lando Calrissian books. Although they are sometimes a bit wierd, they're pretty much fun. Immediately followed by the Han Solo books by Brian Delay which I like almost as much!

See you around,

~ HiAd Chris

Deck
4 November 2004, 12:11 PM
Okay, folks!

It seems like SOTE is the winner! With an excellent second pace for the Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Delay. :)

I will close the poll this week-end, so if you haven't voted yet, do it <i>now</i>! ;)

~ HiAd Chris

Deck
7 November 2004, 12:29 AM
Okay, the winner is:

<b>Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry</b>

Thank you all for contributing!

Poll closed. :)

~ HiAd Chris