PDA

View Full Version : Moviegoing in costume

guaeko
1 August 2004, 06:32 AM
I have recently talked several people into going to the midnight showing of RotS in full Sith robes. We are constructing lightsabers and all. What I am wondering is: Am I the only SW geek who does this? It doesn't really matter to me, as (obviously) I'm not afraid to embarrass myself, I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this (esp. in the southern Indiana region)

Faraer
1 August 2004, 07:44 AM
I don't have any SW costumes, and wouldn't want to wear one to see a film (for that it's the screen, the speakers and my soul, sometimes people I'm with, and the audience which I unconsciously tap into if I like the vibe and exclude if not). But anyone with the wish and the guts to do that has my respect, I can't see what would be 'geeky' about it, and it's not or shouldn't be embarrassing. You go girl. Whatever works. (But keep your lightsaber shut off during the performance.)

Fingon
1 August 2004, 08:55 AM
I would.... if I wasn't the only one going.

I went to the Two Towers opening with a robe, and pointy ears.

Ris
1 August 2004, 10:58 AM
IF you go to the midnight show in costume you won't be alone. Members of the Rebel Legion (hero) & Fighting 501st (villain) SW costuming clubs will be doing so in many areas, often as a publicity arrangement with the theatres. Ep. 3 would be my first time doing that, since i ddn't jpin the groups until after AOTC, but I've done lots of other appearances--including the hospital visits I arrange--& they are lots of fun. Our state chapters are doing some store appearances in connection with the OT DVD release

guaeko
1 August 2004, 11:43 AM
Hey, is that a nationwide thing? If so, pm me some info. It sounds awesome. Anyway, there's now six of us.

Korpil
1 August 2004, 11:51 AM
I went to the Ep II premiere at my local theater in Mexico with a couple of toy lightsabers and everyone stared at me... ;) I didn't mind.

guaeko
1 August 2004, 12:11 PM
I'm not going with toy lightsabers though, I'm constructing a (nonworking) unique hilt. Plus the whole four layers of robes and such. I even have a comlink that beeps when you push a button (homemade).

I'm going more or less all out. It's the last movie, so why not go out with a bang?

JediJester
1 August 2004, 01:02 PM
I doubt I'd ever go to a movie in costume, but I think it's cool when other people do, as long as it's tastefully done. By tastefully done, I mean that the costume is constructed in such a way that it won't interfere with the viewing pleasure of poeple around them. I went to see RotJ Special edition when it came out and some guy dressed up as Boba Fett ended up sitting right in front of my group. The costume was cool and really well done, but a bunch of us had an issue with trying to watch the movie around the rocket sticking up over his head.

Talonne Hauk
1 August 2004, 01:20 PM
I'll admit, I tend to look at people attending a show in costume as... (ahem) ...eccentric. But it's not as if it hurts anyone, and so long as no one obnoxiously geeks out, no one should care. I think my aversion to costumed types comes from having friends who were into the Rocky Horror Picture Show. That is beyond my level of tolerance, believe me.

JediJester
1 August 2004, 02:07 PM
Posted by Talonne Hauk
That is beyond my level of tolerance, believe me.
Awe, come on! Haven't you ever wanted to go to the movies in your underwear :D. I'm just teasing. I'll be the first to say that RHPS crowd often walks the line between outlandish and obscene.

mojo1701
1 August 2004, 07:04 PM
I, personally, wouldn't go (nobody does this here, at least that I've seen), but I have no problem going with someone, or seeing people going dressed up. It's fun.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-06-30

Only because it's the same topic.

Codym
1 August 2004, 10:01 PM
I attended the premeires of both Episode I and II in Jedi robes (the first made by my ex-girlfriend - she went as Amidala, the second was made by myself,) and I'll be doing the same for Episode III (making it with the help of ex-girlfriend.) It's a fun way of expressing my devotion to Star Wars, and I've been told I look good in them anyway. I usually have the cheap, short retractable bladed sabers attatched to the costume, since the cinema frowns upon the more expensive version.

Ronin
1 August 2004, 10:21 PM
Hell yeah!!!
I'm a SW (and Matrix, and soon Transformers...and Tenchu) cosplayer...go to events almost every month, and I most certainly intend to go to Ep3 in-costume!
Heck, I'm gonna go to the Tokyo Game Show in-cos too...
My gallery:
http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12867

Jedi_Shadow
1 August 2004, 10:38 PM
I've always wanted to dress up for a movie, but all my friends have either not had the means to put together costumes, or they didn't have the desire to. Maybe this time will be different.

guaeko
2 August 2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by mojo1701
I, personally, wouldn't go (nobody does this here, at least that I've seen)

Nobody does it here either, but hey, first time for everything right?

Dr_Worm
2 August 2004, 11:20 AM
When I wen to AotC there was group of guys who went in drag as the women of Star Wars. It was fairly amusing and the constumes were spectacular. Drag queens are just too good at constuming, and these were all professionals. Though the amidala was the best. Rue Paul could not have done a flashier queen. Thankfully she stashed her headdress fo the movie.

cheshire
2 August 2004, 07:33 PM
I tend to go a bit on the eccentric side of things myself, but going to a theater in costume is beyond what I would do. My reaons for doing so more or less have to do with the fact that I'm not in any sort of hotbed of Star Wars fan-dom. When you go to a public theater, you're going to a conglomeration of people with varying levels of interest in the film. The people in the lobby might not even be going to the same film as you. Why have an flagrant and eccentric show of dedication in a mixed crowd? However, I'm not sure I'm going to go so far as my friend to say that people who dress up are "Trekkies in the wrong theater."

Now, if you're going to a midnight showing that changes things quite a bit. I think going then would put the populace on more of a level playing field. Even then, I'm not sure I would go so far as to go in costume, but I fully expect to see people dressed as Obi-Wan come May 19th.

Now, if you're doing a Star Wars DVD night going Episodes 1-6 back to back, then I would say that there's a dress code: at least bring a lightsaber.

KenobiJim
3 August 2004, 07:39 PM
This will be the last opening night as far as I know, so I am getting bedecked in full Jedi Regalia... Got my Parks Saber already and plan on getting some authentic as possible costume. It's gonna cost me, but darn it it's Star Wars!

Sarge
5 August 2004, 04:56 AM
I've never dressed up for a SW movie, but I did wear my full swashbuckling sailor SCA garb to Pirates of the Caribbean on opening night. There were about eight of us who are members of an SCA ship's crew, so we all swaggered in together, dressed like rowdy buccaneers, laughing, grinning, and talking like pirates, and just having a hell of a good time. I rolled up to the ticket counter, looked the guy up and down, and said, "Arr, matey, can ye guess which movie I'm wantin' t' see?" He handed me my ticket and I paid in silver dollars, since I didn't have any pieces of eight. Then I looked over at the pretty wench serving popcorn and said, "Darlin', ye're puttin' a shiver in me timber." She stared at me with eyes as big as nine-pound roundshot, so I grinned, laughed, put about, and tacked into the theater. That was a fun night, and I hadn't even drunk any rum, by thunder!

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
5 August 2004, 11:39 PM
On opening night for The Matrix Reloaded, while waiting in line, I saw a gentlemen sporting a long, black, leather trenchcoat. Every once in a while he would clumsily perform "martial arts" with his friend. I pointed him out to my friends and we all laughed at him and cracked many jokes at his expense.
And at the premiere for Attack of the Clones, I saw some kids playing with lightsabers in the aisles, I pointed them out to my friends and we all had a good laugh at their expense.
Does this make me a bad person?

Ronin
6 August 2004, 06:15 AM
No Alfie, just means you're not into that kinda thing. Each to their own. :)
If you'd started yelling abuse or throwing stuff...that'd make you a real ####.

Dr_Worm
6 August 2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
On opening night for The Matrix Reloaded, while waiting in line, I saw a gentlemen sporting a long, black, leather trenchcoat. Every once in a while he would clumsily perform "martial arts" with his friend. I pointed him out to my friends and we all laughed at him and cracked many jokes at his expense.
And at the premiere for Attack of the Clones, I saw some kids playing with lightsabers in the aisles, I pointed them out to my friends and we all had a good laugh at their expense.
Does this make me a bad person?

This is exactly why I have not gone to conventions in the past. I am afraid I might say something really mean tryin to be funny. Not that I have room to talk. I am a as geeky as them, Just geeky in a different way.