PDA

View Full Version : OOC:Talnar's Rescue

Dr_Worm
7 August 2004, 12:40 PM
Many of you may recognize the adventure title, and for those that don't it is a mini-adventure published my WotC. I have been thinking of running some published adventures in the PBP format and this mini-adventure should be a good meansure as to the feasability of it.

The adventure is set in the Rebel era, and is designed for six 3rd level, or four 4th level characters. I tend to prefer a samller group so four pIayers would be my preference, but I can adapt if demanded. I will run it on these forums with the occasional IM session if the oppertunity arises. I really want players who will commit to this, so do not apply if you cannot do so. 2-3 posts a week minimum please, and I want players who can write. Characters will be limited to all non-force classes, with a FA or two by my approval. Characters should be built using 32 point buy. Make them 3rd level for now, and if this game becomes a 4 players you will all be bumped up to 4th level. I am all for story telling, and I want that to be a huge part of the game, but I am also for the fairness of dice. So this will be a dice based game. We will use the Die-Roller on this site, Dice-Roller (http://www.roleplayinggames.net/cgi-bin/view_pub_diceroller.cgi?game=dd) and all results will come to my email directly (Just put my email address in the "your Email" box)

Now this is an experiment of sorts, so an elborate character background is not nessisary. A paragraph or two giving values, history, personality, and physical appearance should be fine. All characters have to know each other, either having worked together in the past, or as part of a newly formed Rebel cell. Feel free to develop character backgrounds as a group so that they have some history together. If no player has a ship then transportation will be provided. Equipment will be subject to approval as well, as much of your eq will be provided by Rebellion. I will also be a stickler for legality of weapons and such.

So PM or email me your character idea, and if I do not know you, a bit about your gamming experience. IF this is not clear it will be D20, and if I think of any house rules I will let you all know before the game starts.

Note: I know I do not have to say this, but I would be amiss if I did not. This is a published, free, adventure. Anyone can download it for free, and it appeard in Gamer magazine. Any 10 year old with a brain can get their hands on it for free and cheat. That, however, would be no fun for anyone. I trust you all not to look at the adventure becuse you know it is more fun for all if there is some surprise. Thanks.

Dr_Worm
7 August 2004, 08:33 PM
farr0095 is the first taker for the adventure, and will be playing a Gammorean Fringer. He requests that another player play a non-Gammorean female so that they may colaberate on background (no, not like that...gross).

farr0095
8 August 2004, 02:27 AM
I think this is going to be very cool, and I'm excited to be able to participate. A short little flavor of my character is below, and perhaps as we press ahead, a more detailed background can follow. Let me know if you can work with me to tie our backgrounds together as mentioned above!

Short Description
Kradd is a Gamorrean who has spent most of his life traveling as a slave. That is not to say that he has been mistreated, only that his owners have usually utilized his abilities, treated him well, but never told him that he could be free. A penchant for close combat, and a disdain for ranged weapons, the heavyset boar gladly wades into the middle of a fight but also follows orders very well.

Dr_Worm
9 August 2004, 01:51 PM
Alright, we have four players now, and unless someone it dieing to play I think I will close it up. The players are:

Farr0095: Gammorean Soldier
red5_5:Human Pig-lover
Rostek: Human Rebel Officer
Gyp Royl: Alien Scoundrel (forgot what)

Since the adventure is a published one I am ready to go when you all are. Take some posts here to square away how you all know eachother, and we can start very soon.

Also if you all have IM accounts let me know. I am on IM all the time (check my profile for accounts).

farr0095
10 August 2004, 06:04 AM
Sounds like things are starting to pull together. I talked to red5_5 about background collaboration, and then Gyp PM'd me too to join up. red5_5 suggested that his character (now an Omwati Nobel/Scoundrel mix) was sent into the Imperial Moff's (who had "owned" my character, Kradd) repertoire on an infiltration and espionage mission for the Alliance; I agreed that's a good start, and somewhere in there his character got found out and captured, at which point she had to befriend Kradd so that Kradd might help her escape.

I proposed to Gyp that - since he wanted a tie in too, which I think is great - his character was actually sent in with red5_5's undercover as well. Since he was an alien, I don't know how he got tied in, but maybe he wasn't found out (like Lando in RotJ) and then helped Kradd and red5_5's characters escape (always good to have a backup plan, right?). Or something like that.

So then I was thinking we needed a good tie-in to Rostek's PC. Now, putting him into this situation also works well, but otherwise maybe Gyp and red5_5 (your characters really need some names!) return with Kradd in tow and Rostek (need a name too) is their new boss/team leader. Then we have a nicely formed team.

Thoughts?

farr0095
10 August 2004, 06:07 AM
Just for kicks, here's Kradd's more detailed background.

Also, Dr_Worm, I don't think you're always on IM. I keep not seeing you! 8o But yeah, I'm on IM too at farr0095.

Finally, did you decide on Level 3 or Level 4 PCs? Doesn't matter to me (I actually like lower levels; gives more opportunity to grow) but I'd like to make sure my stats are up to date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kradd spent his formative years serving the matron of his clan on Gamorr. He trained to hunt and fight with the other boars, though he was neither the best nor the brightest.
During one season of warfare, a rival clan infringed upon the territory of Kradd’s people. Kradd dutifully joined the rest of his tribe’s males, and sallied forth to combat the invaders. They suffered defeat and those left alive were enslaved.
The victorious clan sold the slaves to a variety of traders and other ruffians. A Rodian and a Twi’lek purchased Kradd and a few other slaves. While proud and stalwart, the slaves understood their station and followed their new owners.
The Rodian and Twi’lek intended to immediately sell their new merchandise, but a series of detours led Kradd through several misadventures with the pair. The Gamorrean proved useful on multiple occasions, and his masters contemplated granting him his freedom and asking Kradd to join them.
Those plans were dashed, however, when pirates attacked their treasure-laden vessel. Kradd defended his ship and his charges, but succumbed to superior technology of the pirates – Kradd continues to use any form of makeshift axe he can find.
His new masters cared for the transient Gamorrean, and while they never told him he was freed, they treated him as a member of their crew, minus any percentage of loot captured in their excursions.
Kradd enjoyed life as a pirate, but that too did not last long. As the pirates grew bolder, and struck bigger targets, they attracted greater attention from the sector Moff. To rid himself of an embarrassing and dangerous nuisance, the Moff ordered the Imperial Navy to eliminate the Kradd’s pirate group.
The Imperials captured the pirates in a powerful but pitched battle. Kradd was thrown into the Moff’s gladiator camp, to serve as private entertainment. Known to not go down lightly, and to always make for a good show, Kradd gained minor fame in the tight-knit circle. And it was during this time that he met (insert name of another PC, preferably a female).
This new influence in his life told him that together they could find freedom. Always eager to listen to the matron of the local clan, Kradd quickly agreed to her requests for help. Following his new matron out of the gladiator prison in a daring escape, Kradd has remained loyal ever since.

(I’m very willing to revamp/revise the last two paragraphs. Figure I’ll make it easy and fit in quickly. Concept works great if there’s a female PC in the group, otherwise it would work well for a powerful or smart fighter; someone who could best Kradd and convince him to follow along. Thought that would offer a good tie to another PC.)

Kradd is a Gamorrean boar of average height and nearly one hundred and fifty kilograms. He carries over his shoulder a large axe made of a curved and sharpened piece of starfighter hull, attached to a thick pole. Someone took the effort to attach a power cell to the axe and turn it into a vibro-ax for Kradd, who has only recently learned to master the powered version of the melee weapon. He wears a leather vest and short pants that are tattered and torn with age. Both have fur trim, and the vest has and several metal studs in various places. Leather boots, custom made, protect his feet from the elements, although no one really knows what will protect the elements from Kradd. He also has several ugly morrts attached underneath his clothing, a symbol of slight status, although being away from Gamorr for several years has deprived Kradd of any further status symbols. A large tattoo adorns his meaty right bicep, in the shape of a vicious, fanged skull of unknown origins, and a reminder of his days serving with the pirates. His chest piece carries his clan’s symbols and colors, which he wears proudly, although few understand the hidden meanings. While Kradd understands Basic, like all of his species, he cannot speak the tongue, with the exception of his name. Few who can’t understand his grunting ask for a clarification, for fear that his axe might be used to cleave away confusion.

Gyp Ryol
10 August 2004, 06:57 AM
Character Description
A former circus acrobat, tumbler, and fortune teller, the Ryn named Gaffer now attempts to carve his own path with his wit and skills. With a grin and a trill on his musical beak, he rolls with the galactic punches and always finds a joke in every situation. Gaffer wound up running guns for the Rebellion on his ship, the Mischiefmaker, an old Corellian Engineering JumpMaster-5000. He showed enough skill and conviction for the cause that the Rebellion asked him to complete a mission for the Rebels: infiltrate and spy on a particual Moff.

So that's how Gaffer and red5_5's character would meet up. I like the part about being found out as spies and then locked up with Kradd. Perhaps Gaffer and red5_5 went into the Moff's entourage as an entertainment act? Gaffer would do tricks while red5_5 posed as the manager and promoter, perhaps?

red5_5
10 August 2004, 10:21 AM
Okay, here is the basics for my character, Pillik, an Omwati Noble/scoundrel. I have a basic outline of her character:

Character Description and Background
Physically, she has a slim build and is about 1.6 meters tall. Pillik has light blue eyes, bluish skin, and long black hair. She originally started out as a holoartist on Coruscant, but left the planet after harrassment by imperials (ex. taking her art for cheap/not paying). She wandered around the galaxy, trying to sell her art, but found that people would not by it, mainly because she is not human. Pillik then got caught up in the Rebellion and after a little training, her first mission was to infiltrate the Moff's entourage with Gaffer. She posed as Gaffer's agent (Great idea!:)), but they were later found out and sent to his gladiator camp. Pillik befriends Kradd, and they planned their escape. Once free, Pillik returned to the Rebels and is waiting for reassignment.

Tell me what you think.

Gyp Ryol
10 August 2004, 10:27 AM
That works for me. Now, we just need to get Rostek in here and we'll be set.

Dr_Worm
10 August 2004, 12:01 PM
Looks like 4th level for y'all. I will PM Rostek today.

Rostek
10 August 2004, 02:16 PM
Looks fun... I think Gyp and I have accounts that are connected at the hip ;)

Brief Overview:
Lt. Kell Colton is a Rebel SpecOps officer assigned to command this mission. He is a human male from the late planet of Alderaan. He is a borderline depressive and many close to him suspect he has a death wish. Having said that, no one doubts his abilities both as a combatant and as a leader, and he is respected by most that have worked with him. Kell is a very laissiez-faire (sp) commander, and is open to suggestions about courses of action.
He is a pale, broad shouldered man with dark hair who seems to always have a sad expression on his face.
Kell is an expert shot with blaster weapons, and is a fair melee combatant. His preferred weapon is the SoroSuub Heavy Tracker, which he carries whenever he can, but also enjoys the use of grenades. Reports from his last few missions have left Rebel Command nervous about his mental state, as he has been witnessed shutting down in a post combat situation, and has been unresponsive to counsuling sessions, so one of the other PC's has probably been givin secondary tasking to observe him during the mission.

As for background with the other characters, how about Kell was the officer who was in charge of the extraction of the Moff mission, and met the team that way, and impressed with their skills, requested them for his next assignment.

Gyp Ryol
10 August 2004, 03:56 PM
Eh? So that's what that unsightly growth is. :P Honestly, I'm surprised blivengo isn't in this game.

I think we're all set background wise. I'm ready.

Rostek
10 August 2004, 07:51 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised blivengo isn't in this game.
:P I thought about that too. He's supposed to be our boon companion dammit!
Alas, he'll have to entertain himself whilst we play here... be afraid for the rest of the holonet!

farr0095
10 August 2004, 08:54 PM
Okay, Doc, you're on! I'm fired up and ready to go! :)

red5_5
12 August 2004, 04:28 PM
:xwing: Lock S-foils in attack position!

red5_5 standing by!:skypilot:

I'm ready to go. I PM'd my background and stats to Dr_Worm (I hope that you recieved it). Here is Pilliks background for everyone else to see:

Physical Description
Pillik is a member of the Omwati species, and is considered quite beautiful by others in her species and of the human race. She stands 1.6 meters tall and is quite slim at 65 kilograms. Her skin is a bluish tint and her eyes are also blue. Her hair is long, reaching the middle of her back, and black in color. She normally wears a tight, white, long sleeve blouse; form fitting, brown pants; knee high black boots; and over it all a stylish cloak that doubles as protection against the weather.

Personality
Pillik is a serious, quiet person. Like all Omwati, she values family and friends, and would never do anything to betray them. Pillik is dedicated, hardworking, and loves peace. She knows that there will never be peace for non-humans under the Empire, so she has put aside her love of peace for now to help fight the Empire. Pillik will do anything for the cause of the Alliance, even sacrificing her life if need be.

Background
Pillik grew up with her family on Coruscant. At an early age she developed an artistic talent and was also gifted at fixing things. As she got older, Pillik would use her gifts to help her community, mostly made up of non-humans. When she turned twenty, Pillik decided to open an art gallery to sell her holoart. Her business was slow at the beginning, but picked up as her reputaton grew amoung the Coruscanti elite. But with this fame came hardship, many customers would pay little for her work. Forced to sell her art for less than it was worth, Pillik began to speak up and demand more from her customers. It was during this time that one of her customers grew angry and had her shop closed.

Left with little money and no lively hood, Pillik decided to leave Coruscant. She traveled to Chandrila, and her art was accepted by the native population. Since she had spent her life on Imperial-controlled Coruscant, it was here that Pillik first learned of the Rebel Alliance. She fell in love with their cause and decided to give up art for now and join them. Pillik now had a new direction in life, the fight for equality in the galaxy.

Once Pillik had gone through basic training, she was sent on her first mission, posing as the manager of Gaffer, a member of the Ryn. The two were sent as an entertainment team to infiltrate an Imperial Moff’s entourage. Shortly after infiltration, Pillik was found out, and sent to the Moff’s gladiator camp to serve as entertainment. It was in this camp that Pillik met Kradd, a Gamorrean male. They quickly formed a friendship and Pillik convinced Kradd that they could escape the camp together. Taking the chance, the two escaped along with Gaffer. From that moment on Pillik and Kradd have become unseperable. Pillik returned to the Rebel Alliance, with Kradd following, and is currently waiting for her next assignment.

Dr_Worm
12 August 2004, 04:51 PM
Briefing Up! If you have any questions for Captain Nels post them now.

Rostek
19 August 2004, 02:25 PM
Question for Gyp and/or Dr Worm
Is this tub armed? If so, with what?
I sense the possiblity of TIE's in our future, so I think I should ask this now before the encounter (if any), so we don't sound stupid ("Is this ship armed". "Yeah, there is a quad laser". A quadlaser is something you would notice :rolleyes: )

Gyp Ryol
19 August 2004, 05:30 PM
Well, um, the Mischiefmaker is virtually unarmed. I'd figure that it'd come standard with maybe a laser cannon or two firing forward. The only thing Gaffer really was worked on is the shields. The guns can be fired from the cockpit by either the pilot or co-pilot.

Rostek
19 August 2004, 05:54 PM
Hmmm. I would guess, with that in mind, it would have a similar armerment as the YT-1300.
Plus, we know the Punishing One had a quad turret... so, maybe a turreted light twin laser cannon?
Just guessing based on what I know of the Jumpmaster as well as the definition of 'lightly armed' among stock ships.

Gyp Ryol
20 August 2004, 07:29 AM
Found this.

http://www.theforce.net/books/carlisle/gallery/illustration/starwars/gamer/bountyhunterships.jpg

The JumpMaster is in the bottom left corner of the screen. Mischiefmaker would only be sporting the two cannon under the cockpit chin, and not the turret near the rear of the ship.

Rostek
20 August 2004, 10:39 AM
Cool... You'll just have to outfly any TIE's then ;)

Dr_Worm
26 August 2004, 10:36 AM
Notice: As of today I am out of town until Tuesday. Post your actions a comments and I will respond when I get home. We will need a piloting roll and sensors roll to get down to the surface. If you need the link for the dice roller and instructions take a look at the first post in this thread.

Later

Rostek
5 September 2004, 01:20 PM
Okay, we're at the crash site. Now, the question is, how do we search the place?

Do we:
A- Take 20 with the person with the highest modifier, which will take some time.
B- Take 10 with the person with the highest modifier, and everyone aids him/her. Not as time consuming, but some potential to fail.
C- Split up, make individual checks. Won't take very long (IIRC the rules for Searching as a group), but potential for failure.
D-Split into two groups, do as B, should two people have a high Search mod. Not as time consuming as B, but chance of failure.
Supplementery question: Who has the highest Search mod, so we can just take care of that here, instead of asking the question IC?

My personal vote is D, because then we get it over with quickly, because if Talnar's been captured, then we may have to deal with his capturers. Also, we double the chance of someone rolling a 20. But if anyone has a differant opinion, then please, go ahead, so we can search the place.
Kell's Seach mod is +6

Gyp Ryol
5 September 2004, 01:39 PM
I'm personally in favor of splitting up and making individual checks. That way there's a chance of everybody roolling really well and cutting down the time. Gaffer's Search mod is also +6.

Dr_Worm
9 September 2004, 08:45 AM
I need to know how you are going to search, folks, I can make the rolls and get the next post out.

Rostek
9 September 2004, 09:40 AM
Let's individually search the place, then... red and farr didn't vote, but Gyp has a point... so let's run with it then... should I IC the thing then?

Dr_Worm
9 September 2004, 11:37 AM
Got it, will update today.

Ronin
12 September 2004, 11:46 PM
As a spectator, I just thought I'd say I've been monitoring your progress ;)
Very cool so far (no pun intended).

Dr_Worm
15 September 2004, 01:59 PM
Waiting for red5_5 to post, sorry guys. If he does not in a day or two I will have farr post for him since Pillik and Krad are joined at the hip.

red5_5
24 September 2004, 06:03 PM
I'm back! Sorry for the long absence everyone, I promise it won't happen again. I will have a post up tomorrow, I've just got to catch up in the IC thread.

Dr_Worm
24 September 2004, 07:08 PM
Actually I sort of knocked Pillik out cold, I did not want her slowing down coambat and did not want her hit either. I suppose I can still go back and edit that though.

Rostek
24 September 2004, 07:21 PM
You can always "recover" her, and put her into the combat next round.

Dr_Worm
24 September 2004, 07:30 PM
Naw...I just revised history...she never hit her head. If red5_5 had waited any longer I might have been more severe, but he got in fast enough.

Gyp Ryol
1 October 2004, 02:30 PM
So yeah, what's the status of the group? Anything going on?

Gyp Ryol
1 October 2004, 02:31 PM
So yeah, what's the status of the group? Anything going on?

Dr_Worm
1 October 2004, 02:40 PM
you all have been great...it's all me. I am just so slammed lately that I am having a hard time getting it all together. If I am home tonight I will get one out.

farr0095
3 October 2004, 04:14 PM
FYI, I'll be on vacation without computer access from the 5th through 15th. Kradd will keep attacking (and using AoOs) as he can, unless the group orders him (probably have to come from Pillik) to leave. I'll use Cleave (but not Power Attack) as I am able to. See you in a few weeks.

Rostek
12 October 2004, 06:50 AM
Hey, Doc, I seem to have misplaced my damage roll that I sent to you, so if you don't plan a GM post for the encounter, would you PM or Email it to me please?
Thanks

Gyp Ryol
12 October 2004, 02:54 PM
How far away are the stormies?

Dr_Worm
12 October 2004, 03:18 PM
40m

Gyp Ryol
13 October 2004, 12:33 PM
40m? Yowza. I'm surpised Gaffer hit anything at all, let alone a stormie.

Dr_Worm
19 October 2004, 04:00 PM
I am sending this out to all of you to inform you that due to personal and financial reasons I am canceling my internet service. This will only be temporary, but for how long I am not sure. I am not sure if I will come back to earthlink or not, and in the mean time I will peobably check in on my email every couple weeks or so via public terminals. For this reason I will have an email account open that I can check from anywhere. The new account will be:
drworm73@gmail.com

I know I am dorpping the ball, and this game is going great, but I have to pay some attention to RL. Hopefully I will be back soon, but I cannot say for sure when. PM's and emails will go to the new account.

Rostek
19 October 2004, 04:12 PM
Well, that's too bad Doc.
I hope you can get back on your feet soon, I won't hold it against you ;)

farr0095
19 October 2004, 04:41 PM
Hope everything gets squared away for you. I look forward to your triumphant return!

red5_5
20 October 2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear Doc. Hope you get back soon.

Gyp Ryol
30 October 2004, 07:34 PM
Though it seems insensitive to be posting this ten days after the fact, I truely say I'm sorry to hear you're in such a state. I hope things start turning around for you.

Calhexas
8 November 2004, 08:37 PM
Wondering if you were allowing new players to join? If you are, please post a reply with any guidelines you would like me to follow, im all caught up on the storyline.

Rostek
9 November 2004, 06:54 AM
I'm afraid we're on a bit of a hiatus, Calhexas.
Indeed, this is just a one-shot adventure (premade, WotC), so I don't think we can.

Dr_Worm
12 December 2004, 11:12 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have passed my RN exams and now am looking for a job. If it were any other time of year I would be jumping back in to the game, but seeing as it is the holidays things are hectic for all. I will try and get a new post out in the next week, but that depends on how soon I get job offers.

Thank you all for your patience, it will be rewarded soon.

Gyp Ryol
12 December 2004, 11:15 AM
Good to hear from you, Doc. Best of luck with the job hunting. And don't worry about the holidays being too hectic for me. I'm usually stuck at home doing nothing anyways. :D

Rostek
12 December 2004, 12:11 PM
That's awesome, Doc- Good to have you back and active :)

S-Hershey
23 December 2004, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone. I'm glad you're enjoying Talnar's Rescue.

Just thought I'd let you know that Wizard's just posted my new SW Minis scenario featuring Talnar in yet another tight spot.

Talnar's Tatooine Traitor
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/talnar

Of course, it assumes that he was successfully rescued from this adventure (but you can play one without the other in any case).

Good luck with both games.

:xwing:

Gyp Ryol
23 December 2004, 01:32 PM
Wow. That was awesome. I mean, how many times are you going to get a message from the author of the adventure you're playing? Not too many, I'd wager.