PDA

View Full Version : starwars-rpg.net technical woes

evan hansen
24 August 2004, 06:09 AM
Hey everyone --

Sadly, no major HAPPY announcement regarding starwars-rpg.net -- just some tech news.

I believe our host is moving some servers around to new lines. Other sites that have been undergoing that process have been variously down for anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. I hope it's resolved soon, obviously. Stay tuned.

On a happy personal note, I just bought a house, got married, and got back from my honeymoon over the span of the last few months. So pardon my fall off the face of the earth over the past 6 months.

After the site gets back up, and after I've had a chance to get the first round of work done on my new home, look for a redesign of Starwars-rpg.net as well as new content, of course. Changes and updates ARE simply going to be coming a little more slowly, but they'll be coming. :-)

Nealos
25 August 2004, 09:44 AM
Congrats Evan!

Thanks for the update. On a related note, send me an email regarding hosting costs. What's the status?

Armadious
25 August 2004, 12:18 PM
I wondered why I could not get to the site in my wanderings. I wonder if I you know the statues of the next issue of the OJ?

Armadious
25 August 2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry, double post. This one could be killed please.

ij thompson
25 August 2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update, Evan.

One quick question - for us hosted guys, is our incoming email currently queing up somewhere, or is it all getting returned as undeliverable?

scottyboy
26 August 2004, 07:29 AM
Stupid slow computer... this is a triple post... Ignore it.

scottyboy
26 August 2004, 07:30 AM
Thank you for the update Evan! Much appreciated!

scottyboy
26 August 2004, 07:31 AM
Armadious, you should probably start a new thread to ask about the OJ since this thread was created primarily to inform people of the status of starwars-rpg.net and to give them a place to ask questions or make comments regarding those issues.

I'm not trying to get on you or anything, I just don't want responses to your question (or other OJ related quesitons that may come up) to get mixed up with responses to questions about the previously mentioned subject.

evan hansen
27 August 2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson
Thanks for the update, Evan.

One quick question - for us hosted guys, is our incoming email currently queing up somewhere, or is it all getting returned as undeliverable?

Good question...

This is something of an update for everyone, actually, but ESPECIALLY for hosted sites, etc...

In the midst of some server movement, the host -- I just talked to them a day ago -- lost power from the hurricane in Florida. They're based in Orlando. I guess they had power, lost power, had power, and so on. But basically, they're currently just sitting there with no connections and no power.

So they, and subsequently I, have ZERO clue as to when it'll be back. Hopefully soon. When I talked to one of the guys who runs the sales are, he rather candidly admitted the situation and said he was working from home, making calls, etc until their offices were back online.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience.

Dragon Fox IX
1 September 2004, 07:52 PM
Just an update from Florida, it appears Hurrican Franicen(sp?) is still headed for us (I live in Florida though on the west cost), and current models predict it will hit Orlando so, anyone who has servers in Orlando, explect them to go back down (if their back up) or to not be up for a while longer. The hurrican is reported to hit Florida by this weekened.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know what to expect in the coming days.

Dragon Fox IX
1 September 2004, 07:53 PM
Just an update from Florida, it appears Hurrican Franicen(sp?) is still headed for us (I live in Florida though on the west cost), and current models predict it will hit Orlando so, anyone who has servers in Orlando, explect them to go back down (if their back up) or to not be up for a while longer. The hurrican is reported to hit Florida by this weekened.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know what to expect in the coming days.

Ravager_of_worlds
2 September 2004, 11:12 AM
yet another reason to pray for those in Florida I suppose. Just so we can get starwars-rpg.net back in action :)

Seriously, who looks at the geographic server site anyway? I never would have thought about it. hmmmm..... something to ponder at any rate...

evan hansen
7 September 2004, 01:56 PM
OK, it looks like I'm going to have to move the site. We've got a sweet deal with the current host. And I've got a couple new potential hosts lined up, but I'm going to talk to them to see if they'll cut us a deal to defray the total operating costs a bit. Journal downloads == expensive. :-) Anyhow, these guys aren't coming back anytime in the next week or two. They've got problems beyond the hurricane now, and it could be a while.

So... the saga and research continues. If anyone knows a good CHEAP host, email me (as opposed to PM if possible). I've got some decent ones lined up. But I want to see all possibilities to make the best decision.

Thanks (again) for your (ongoing) patience!

Nealos
7 September 2004, 10:20 PM
Evan,

I'll speak with my partner and see what it would cost for us to place a dedicated box in our rackspace at our datacenter. If we the community can muster the expense of a box and the rackspace is cheap enough, this will be excellent because then we'll have our own box finallly.

Please let me know what our costs were before we went down.

Thanks for your time on this!

Nealos
10 September 2004, 10:44 PM
Not to step on Evan's toes, but an update if I may.

Evan and I were discussing where to move the site. We believe we've identified a good new host that will be very inexpensive and fulfill all of our needs.

While there is no specific ETA on moving the site, we ask for your continued patience and are happy to report at least some progress!

Thanks,

Dragon Fox IX
11 September 2004, 04:04 AM
Well as long as this new server isn't in Florida you should be fine. :D Can't say the same for the rest of us that live in Florida, looks like we just can't get a break this year. Get hit by a tropical storm, then a hurricane, then another hurricane and now possibly another.... Anyone feeling like taking in a evacue? :D

Ravager_of_worlds
13 September 2004, 09:51 AM
Excellent news! hopefully it will be days or weeks instead of months, yes? :)

maybe the new server should be in... the Midwest? the only thing that ever goes down in Kansas, Oklahoma, Neb., Iowa area are tornadoes...

Deck
20 September 2004, 12:48 AM
Nealos, thanks fo the news, and I am looking forward to the site's revival, especially it's a <i>glimmer of hope</i> (you remember the story from WEG AJ? ;) ) for all the hosted sites.

Good luck!

~ HiAd Chris

Dragon Fox IX
20 September 2004, 05:07 AM
Acutally Ravenger, I'm not sure that's any better, in fact, might be worse....sure Hurrcaines do damage but Tornedoes leave nothing behind when they want to destroy something...including internet servers...lol. (Guess mother nature isn't a fan of the internet).

hisham
23 September 2004, 06:39 PM
Can we rent a server in Norad?

Just kidding.

Nealos
24 September 2004, 09:42 PM
Hello All,

Another update...

A little over a week ago, Evan and I identified another host to move to. I proceeded to set up the account and pay the initial three months.

The next step was to point the domain name to the new host. This has proven time consuming. Due to a long story that I won't get into now, the domain name is contained within the registration account other than myself. I've been working with that person to get the domain name transferred from his account at Network Solutions to my account at Register.com.

We've been on and off the phone and email in recent days getting that taken care of. I'm hopeful the process should be completed inside early next week. Once that's done, I'll be able to point the domain name to our new host and we should be alive again!

Thanks again for everyone's patience. Hang in there, almost there.

Nova Spice
25 September 2004, 08:13 AM
That's great news, Nealos.

With that finally cleared up, I suppose the next most obvious question is without a doubt: "When's the next issue of the OJ"? :D

Grimace
25 September 2004, 11:23 AM
Sounds good, Nealos. Glad to hear things are finally starting to drift in the right direction.

Give a shout when things are back up and running!

Nova Spice
29 September 2004, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to get an update on StarWars-RPG.Net.

My NJO campaign just moved into Episode VII, which features the Servais Sector almost exclusively.

I really would like to be able to access the Servais Sector before this weekend's big session.

Is that feasible, Nealos?

Chris, can you help me gain access to the website?

Chris Curtis
1 October 2004, 08:04 PM
Huh? Wha? Someone's gonna use Servais Sector?? [grin]

Fire me off a private email and I'll see about zipping up a copy of the site for you. I think it ought to be useable by itself if you just unzip and view it in your browser locally.

Nova Spice
3 October 2004, 04:31 PM
Chris, I just tried to send you an e-mail, but apparently your e-mail address on the HoloNet is either old or invalid.

Is there another address I can contact you at?

Chris Curtis
6 October 2004, 12:22 PM
LOL Actually, it's because it's set to my @starwars-rpg.net address, which, obviously, doesn't work right now. [grin]

I just updated it so try again.

Nova Spice
6 October 2004, 01:41 PM
That makes sense. :D

I'm sending you a message, right now, Chris.

I appreciate it. ;)

silvfox
8 October 2004, 04:41 PM
Chris,

I once used a product that was hosted off Servais sector website, the Star Wars D6 Starship Generator. Is it possible for me to get a copy of that either in html or word or something from you? Can't wait for the site to be back up.

Chris Curtis
9 October 2004, 04:42 PM
You can find a copy of the rules on Archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031209235828/starwars-rpg.net/servais/shipgen/rules.php ( Cached D6 Starship Generator Rules

Darklighter
18 October 2004, 11:02 AM
Hi guys.

If you're still having difficulties finding a host (or want a host in a climatologically more stable area - heh, heh), I know Donboy, the webmaster and administrator at http://www.roleplayinggames.net has started a web design and site hosting business and is offering some pretty competitive rates and services. He's been in business for a year or so I think (perhaps longer), and it's called Server Shak (http://www.servershak.com/) . He can be reached through the Server Shak site, or through the following e-mail: donboy@roleplayinggames.net.

Anyway, if that helps or is useful, let me know. I just thought if you were still looking, it might be nice to keep it in the community. They host Star Wars RPG games over there, in both systems.

Ravager_of_worlds
19 October 2004, 10:08 AM
I'm using my Halloween wishes for the website to get back on track...

Nealos
20 October 2004, 07:34 AM
I finally regained control of the domain name! I've repointed the nameservers and I already see the main site up and live. It may take an extra day or so for everyone to see it as DNS servers propogate across the globe.

Anyhoo, I now pass the reigns to Evan who is managing the upload of all hosted sites and other errata.

Let us know how we can help, Evan!

Oh, and.... YAY!

Ravager_of_worlds
20 October 2004, 10:47 AM
*dances wildly with joy*
I have a note! I see a note from the gods of Star Wars Rpg dot Net! All hail the new king! Yip Yip, hooray...

now... any time frame on the return of our favorite main page? :)

Talon Razor 'GM'
21 October 2004, 11:31 AM
Thank God!!!

I've been going through withdrawls.

Now, the big question: Will the Online Journal be released along with the site?

Thanks Nealos and Evans! We're glad for your hardwork.

Nealos
22 October 2004, 07:40 PM
We're having an additional delay and need to hear from those who are currently hosted by starwars-rpg.net (and I use the term loosely).

I failed to make a backup of the site files that is anywhere recent. Because of this, we lack much of the data. Our former host, who is now out of business due to the hurricane that hit Florida recently, says they have the data still but are taking their time in getting it to us.

In the interests of NOT WAITING for them to get their act together, we appeal to those in the Journal staff and those who host sites - do you have local copies on your machines of your most recent files?

If so, let us know here in this forum. Evan and I will do our best to coordinate everyone. If you don't have your data, don't panic. We're not giving up on retrieving the entire site file set from the former host.

Thanks for your cooperation, and I hope with a little coordination we'll be back to normal.

Also, Evan and I have already been cooking up some fun and cool ideas and maybe this rebirth is just the platform to start whipping them out.

MTFBWYA

hisham
22 October 2004, 07:47 PM
Since I worked on it from Vol 2 Issue 2, I have all the php files within the "journal" folder there which had been online, plus the web features pdfs.

I'm not sure if Scotty's got the rest of the files.

Matt Richard
22 October 2004, 11:26 PM
Hey, im here - i know its been a while, but ive got some ideas for DLOS - i dont have the files of the site but that doesnt bother me all that much, i just want to get something up and going so fans can submit stuff. Good luck on the problems

Ravager_of_worlds
24 October 2004, 09:38 AM
Khairul and Scotty probably have copies of all the Web Features PDFs I worked on, but anything that isn't in his data I certainly would like to keep available- the X-Wing feature, Starship Challenge, Tactics, the 3 issues of Arms/Technology supplements... and the Velos System pdf was finished not long ago. I gave the most up to date version to Scotty and then those damn hurricanes hit.

Anyway, my files are only half of the web features section- there were Khairul's stuff and... that terror pitchblack d20/d6 adventure pdf, can't remember the author... grr... "i'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur."

sheesh.

Yes, I agree- the revamping of the site may be a good thing. In fact, with Wizards being quiet on the western front for Star Wars, I feel like the online excitement of the game has lagged somewhat- all the more reason for people like us to get creative and stoke those smoldering embers... I don't want SW d20 to end up like Dragonlance 5th age, played only by a few pockets of eccentrics across the world, forever denied expansions and additional material, a closed system... eh, I wish I could quote Luke when C-3PO exclaims "Leave me, I'm done for!"

Nealos
27 October 2004, 08:34 AM
It's looking like the previous host won't be getting our data to us. This is quite a shame.

We need to move on. I'm going to start a new thread on this.