PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies Expansion

Ronin
25 August 2004, 07:04 AM
Now, I'm not a Galaxies player...my PC ain't got the juice.....but I checked out the website about the new expansion...
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swgalaxies_lightspeed

it looks cool...nice ships and screen shots...except:
pop quiz people:
What does the "T" in "TIE fighter" stand for?
Write down your answer on a piece of paper, then check through the screenshots...

You'dve thought they could have got THAT right!

Grimace
25 August 2004, 07:48 AM
Yeah, you'd think they would have got that right.:rolleyes:

Well, the screenshots certainly look pretty, but it still doesn't make me want to go out and purchase the game.

Darth_Cassed
25 August 2004, 08:19 AM
Wow, I can't believe they mistaked the reactor for the engine....and that they only put one even if they thought it was the engine....

How could they screw that up? TIE Fighter people! Not SIE Fighter!

Rostek
25 August 2004, 08:39 AM
I'm definatly going to integrate those Hutt Fighters into my games... they look cool, and provide a nice alternative to Cloakshapes, Z-95's, or stolen Rebel or Imperial fighters.

As for the TIEs... kinda an "oopsie" :rolleyes:
Not a huge deal, mind you, as long as people have fun, but It's something they could fix in the future.

Vanger Chevane
25 August 2004, 01:34 PM
Someone must be feeling a bit Sledyxic. :P

The Twin Ion Engine Fighter/Interceptor/Bomber/Etc. ubiquitous in the Empire is produced by Sienar Fleet Systems.

Rostek
31 August 2004, 01:06 PM
After looking at the screens, I did notice that at least the TIE Advanced had two engines. At least they didn't totally drop the ball, and I think it could be fixed later.

Vjerzag
2 September 2004, 02:58 AM
Well they up TIE but the game is good for role-play. We have large community with over 300 members who RP in Mos Entha on Europe Chimaera galaxy. Our only wish is to find as much as possible R players and connects them all on one place.
So if you have some free time come and visit us-and live with us in Mos Entha.

Nova Spice
2 September 2004, 07:41 AM
If you think messing up the engines on the TIE Fighters was bad, Ronin, then I'm sure you'd be really upset to know that they've also equipped all TIEs with hyperdrives.

The developers announced that they're not concerned with continuity. They just don't want to upset the Imperial players.

There's a reason why I cancelled my subscription and placed my SWG CD case in a box in the attic.

The game is a royal disaster.

Rostek
2 September 2004, 08:26 AM
To be fair Nova the TIE's need HDs for game balance. I would kinda suck to be an Imp with a pretty starship but nowhere to go but into the sector that you're at.
The ships are supposed to offer freedom from the shuttle system, so to be fair with all players, all ships need hyperdrive capablity.
As far as continuity... I suppose you could always argue, that, as indapendant operatives for the Empire, the Imp players may have a drive module attached, ala the YJK stories.
Not that it really matters in the long run. As long as Galaxies players can have fun, they'll play it. (of course, that seems to be a problem nowadays with it, so I hear).

Nova Spice
2 September 2004, 09:57 AM
To be fair Nova the TIE's need HDs for game balance. I would kinda suck to be an Imp with a pretty starship but nowhere to go but into the sector that you're at.

Actually, the community came up with an idea. In each sector, the Empire would have capital ships that the TIE's could dock with. These ships would be able to jump to lightspeed (no pun intended) to other sectors.

I rather liked that idea. It gave both sides a unique advantage without destroying continuity. The Imps would be able to bring in capital ships and the Rebels would have the advantage of having hyperdrives on their fighters.

Rostek
2 September 2004, 10:06 AM
That is actually a great idea.
It would be truer to continuity, and would probably be a blast for the Imps, when they show up with a CapShip. :bothan:

Moridin
2 September 2004, 10:45 AM
I got to play the Jump to Lightspeed expansion at GenCon and it's actually pretty fun. Depending on how the final version comes out, I may get back into Galaxies.

blivengo
15 September 2004, 06:03 PM
I think you've really gotta put some continuity issues aside and realize its a game...I mean, there are Jedi running around everywhere during the rule of the Empire, but, as Jedi are a definite main-stay in the Star Wars Universe, you've got to include them...it just wouldn't be right without them...there are some issues that are just stupid, lazy mistakes, i.e. the Single Ion Engine fighters, but most of what puts the game out of sync with the cannon is because of limitations based on the fact that it's a video game...like the capital ship idea, it's fantastic, but a real pain to program when you've already got a system in place to do the same thing...not to mention a deadline...anyway, I've been playing since June of '03 and still enjoy the game...yeah, there are things that tick me off, but when you get down to it, it's fun...I've been saying for a while now that they need to really push the game through the Original Trilogy setting so the Jedi will make more sense...plus, how freakin' cool would it be to hop in a B-wing and go smoke some Coral Skippers? Huh...Nova, I'm looking in your direction...huh?

Nova Spice
15 September 2004, 08:46 PM
anyway, I've been playing since June of '03 and still enjoy the game...yeah, there are things that tick me off, but when you get down to it, it's fun...I've been saying for a while now that they need to really push the game through the Original Trilogy setting so the Jedi will make more sense...plus, how freakin' cool would it be to hop in a B-wing and go smoke some Coral Skippers? Huh...Nova, I'm looking in your direction...huh?

I played from June of '03 to March of '04. Needless to say, I feel like I wasted a lot of money.

I'd love to play an NJO flight simulator, though I'd rather that be a separate game. I'd rather not feed any more of my hard-earned money to SOE. Particularly when I feel that SWG is a miserable failure.

That's just my opinion. Though as blivengo mentioned, I happen to think the very fact that there ARE hundreds and hundreds of Jedi running around is indicative of how bad the game has become.

Anyway, what can you do? :)

blivengo
16 September 2004, 12:37 PM
I feel like I'm picking your brain today Nova...since you played for so long (almost a year), what made you quit? Did you get bored with content, frustrated with the instances of poor continuity, frustrated with the retarded players named HarryAssWookie (yes, I know "Wookiee" has two 'e's, that is an actual name I've seen in-game)? You seem to be quite adament about your feelings toward the game, so I'm just wondering why that is...I'm not defending SOE or the game or anything...if you don't wanna play, right on, I just like to get other people's take on why they hang it up...I almost did for a few months, but, for some reason, it called to me...if JTL isn't at least somewhat like I envision it though, my days may be numbered...

Nova Spice
16 September 2004, 03:00 PM
I feel like I'm picking your brain today Nova...since you played for so long (almost a year), what made you quit? Did you get bored with content, frustrated with the instances of poor continuity, frustrated with the retarded players named HarryAssWookie (yes, I know "Wookiee" has two 'e's, that is an actual name I've seen in-game)? You seem to be quite adament about your feelings toward the game, so I'm just wondering why that is...I'm not defending SOE or the game or anything...if you don't wanna play, right on, I just like to get other people's take on why they hang it up...I almost did for a few months, but, for some reason, it called to me...if JTL isn't at least somewhat like I envision it though, my days may be numbered...

I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you on why I cannot stand Star Wars Galaxies.

1. I didn't like the skill-based advancement system. I felt that that particular system made "leveling" far too easy.

2. I didn't like the fact that combat classes were useless for PvPing, unless you were a Master.

3. I didn't like the fact that Galaxies had less than 70 weapons. In a universe such as Star Wars, with all the material there is to play with, there should be thousands of available weapons.

4. I didn't like the HAM system for health. I never grasped the concept of how using a special ability somehow drained your actual health. That's just not logical.

5. I didn't like fact that the Galactic Civil War essentially didn't exist. There was no feel of Imperial oppression and there was no sense of secrecy or urgency for the Rebellion. Despite the rather half-hearted attempt with the Imperial Crackdown publish, the game lacked that essential feel that made it Star Wars.

6. I didn't like the fact that if you wanted to survive in combat, you had to have composite armor.

7. I didn't like the fact that the NPCs served no purpose, other than to be killed or to stand around in a city (usually facing a wall).

8. I didn't like the fact that player cities engulfed entire surfaces of planets like Naboo, Corellia, and Tatooine. That was a major detractor.

9. And finally, I despised the Dev's constant promises. They never failed to break those promises, sometimes even flat out lying in order to keep the community happy.

The game's a wreck. I have a friend who's about to cancel his subscription. He says that since I left nearly 7 months ago, the game hasn't changed one bit.

I even heard George Lucas himself was disappointed at how the game was progressing. That speaks for itself.

blivengo
16 September 2004, 04:14 PM
Hmm...all good points...especially 2, 5, & 9...it just doesn't make sense that someone one "box" away from Master in a profession is at such a disadvantage against someone who is Master...the difference in Rifleman, for instance, is ridiculous...the speed mod. and StrafeShot2 make it twice as good as having just the four trees complete...now, for a while right after the Imperial Crackdown it was rough to be a Rebel, but after a day or two you figured out which cities to avoid and it was business as usual...that should be more agressive and more random...the real downside to the cities full of Imperials for me was that all those NPCs in a relitively small area made my computer very angry...and, well, you pretty much nailed 9 on the head...the Devs are worse than politicians when it comes to lipservicing whatever the mob wants to hear to pacify them...

Now, as for comments from Lucas...I'd like to see those 'cause I honestly don't think he has much more than an inkling about what's going on with the game...I mean, he's waist deep in Episode III plus the release of the OT DVDs...I don't think he has time or really even cares about what's going on with SWG at the moment...

But, I agree that the game is not progressing fast enough (or at all sometimes it seems)...The devs use every publish to fix something instead of using them to add new content, etc. (save, of course, the recent Jedi stuff...)...I want them to redo both the theme parks to pertain to the events surrounding Empire, I want more planets, I want more intense, full battlefields...I want JTL to come out tomorrow so I can get my dogfight on...and I really hope that they move more quickly through th OT era and move out in the EU...it would be nice to have more weapons too...