PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes+Me=Finished!

johnnyputrid
30 August 2004, 05:22 PM
This isn't much of a rave, or a rant, but I'm happy to announce that after 15 years, I've finally quit smoking.

It's been 4 days now without a cigarette, and I'm finally breaking free of nicotine addiction. This has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. 10 years of life in the Army? Bah, child's play. Living for 3 years in a gang-infested Miami neighborhood where bullets flew about constantly? A mere inconvienence. Being hit by a car on 5, count 'em, 5 separate occassions? Not fun, but not as bad as you'd think. Kicking a year-long opium habit? Simplicity. Living destitute on the streets with no cash, no friends, no shelter, and very little to eat for half a year? Easy in comparison.

I used to be of the "It's my life, I'll smoke if I want" mentality. But now that I've really taken a good look at how smoking has messed me up, both physically and mentally, I can't even begin to describe how good it feels to be free of it. I can only hope that I maintain the willpower to stay away from the smokes. Smoking is stupid, it smells bad, it doesn't make you look cool, and weakens the body and the mind. Forget the patch, Forget Zyban, forget smoking cessation classes. Just quit and free yourself.

OK, so maybe it was a bit of a rant, but since all of my friends are smokers, I needed somewhere to say this. If you read all of this, thanks.

And now back to our regularly scheduled posting.

Grimace
30 August 2004, 05:36 PM
That's very strong of you, johnnyputrid, and I commend you for doing it! You've certainly got your work cut out for you, but it sounds like you've got the right mentality to have in order to kick it completely and stay smoke free. My wife managed to kick it...before I dated her...and she said it was quite a challenge.

One word of advice, that I've gleaned from other smokers that have tried to quit and failed: If you can, stay away from bars. Yeah, I know that kind of sounds like telling a nun to stay away from religion, but to smokers, drinking or the "bar atmosphere" tends to breed the "desire" to light up a smoke. Many friends of mine that have tried to quit usually slip when they go to bars with friends, especially friends who smoke.

In all, great job and keep up the strong will, man!

Darth_Cassed
30 August 2004, 06:59 PM
yes, congratulations johnnyputrid, I encourage you to keep on doing it! :D

My mom just quit months ago and that's great too :D

ij thompson
30 August 2004, 07:40 PM
Awesome, JohnnyPutrid!

I'm still puffin', but I'm a goner in more ways than one. Still, you give me hope - I thought the crackheads on my front stoop were bad! But compared to what you've lived through... Food for thought...

Good on ya, cobber! :D

Rostek
31 August 2004, 06:09 AM
Good on you jp and keep it up!
It sounds like you've got a great mentality for doing this and you seem on the right track.
Another thing that I've always heard from relatives (and my relatives know all about quitting various addictions) is that it helps to chew gum when quitting. It gives you something to do with your mouth, and it supposedly alleviates the nervous cravings a lot.
Good luck!

Vanger Chevane
31 August 2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
One word of advice, that I've gleaned from other smokers that have tried to quit and failed: If you can, stay away from bars. Yeah, I know that kind of sounds like telling a nun to stay away from religion, but to smokers, drinking or the "bar atmosphere" tends to breed the "desire" to light up a smoke. Many friends of mine that have tried to quit usually slip when they go to bars with friends, especially friends who smoke.

Actually, Neuroscientists are discovering a link between drinking & smoking. Whether it be Nerual, Chemical, Social, or some mix of factors is unclear. But it is well known & now documented that drinking alcoholic beverages can lead to a desire to smoke more than usual. There's also cases of ppl who only smoke when they drink.

Nicotine is one of the most physically-addictive substances known to man. Best of luck jp, no dip/chew either. :P Just replaces one nasty habit with nother bypassing any real, lasting solution (BTW, I smoke myself so I'm not bashing smokers here).

Talonne Hauk
31 August 2004, 04:42 PM
Good for you! I'm glad you quit.
'Cause with the days I've been having lately, I think the idea that there are a few more packs available to be bought is a soothing one...
Just kidding!
Good luck!;)

coldskier0320
1 September 2004, 09:10 AM
Kudos, Mr. Putrid. After what you've been through, I'd say you deserve some success in your life...hell, a lot of it! I've smoked on and off for the past two years, regularly for the last six months or so, and I'll agree with the staying away from other smokers bit. Good luck!:D

Fingon
2 September 2004, 04:22 PM
Bravo, johnnyputrid, bravo!

May the force be with you.

johnnyputrid
2 September 2004, 05:10 PM
Wow. I thought I was the only smoker around here. I guess bad habits are universal after all.

Thanks for your support everybody. It really means something to me. SInce all of my co-workers and friends are smokers, this has been a very difficult undertaking. But the cravings (and frequent bouts of nervousnous and upsettedness - is that even a word?) have begun to fade. My solution, as it were, has been pretty simple. First, I just threw all of my remaining smokes away. Hell, I was throwing money away in the first place, so what did it matter? Next, I bought a lot of gum and cough drops. The cough drops in particular (sugar free, of course) have helped tremendously. Now I am simply sick to death of them too.
But at least I haven't replaced a smoking habit with a Halls Menthol habit.:D The third, and hopefully final stage of my improvised method, has been to keep my hands busy. I've been a guitar player for almost as long as I've been smoking, so busting out some power chords and cheesy '70s-era funk riffs has helped. So has typing, strange as it may seem.

The weirdest, and most non-recommendable (again, is this even a word?) thing I've done is to keep a single cigarette and lighter right next to me at home. I just kept telling myself, "NO!", and refused to light up. Strangely, this worked for me. Today, after a real nasty day at work, I came home, grabbed the thing, held my lighter right up to it and...did nothing with it. In fact, I threw the cigarette away. I kept the lighter, though. I need something to light my candles with. This was like a breakthrough for me. Seriously, it was like one of those "Eueraka!" moments you get when you suddenly realize where you left your car keys, or figured out that yes, that chick you were hitting on was really a....OK, let's skip that last one.:D

Anyways, thanks for the props everybody. If ol' Putrid can do it, so can you.

Darth Fierce
2 September 2004, 05:59 PM
It's been said time and again, but I must congratulate you too on this accomplishment, johnnyputrid. I've known many a friend or family member who have struggled to undertake what you are doing. It's rarely easy, but as you're proving, you can throw away the cigarettes no matter how long you have been smoking...:)

I won't here, but if you ever have second thoughts about stopping, I have a ton of related enlightening smoking stories that I could share with you if you would ask. I hope I would never have to, so I bid you good luck in keeping things going well.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Tao
8 September 2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
... or figured out that yes, that chick you were hitting on was really a....

wow... thats a relief... i thought i was the only one.

hey, but congrats for kicking the habit. the first months bad, but after that its controlable. ive been cig and alcohal free for three years now, and i couldnt be happier. keep it up mate.

Tao
8 September 2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by johnnyputrid
... or figured out that yes, that chick you were hitting on was really a....OK, let's skip that last one.:D

Anyways, thanks for the props everybody. If ol' Putrid can do it, so can you.

wow... thats a relief... i thought i was the only one.

hey, but congrats for kicking the habit. the first months bad, but after that its controlable. ive been cig and alcohal free for three years now, and i couldnt be happier. keep it up mate.