PDA

View Full Version : Help save Star Wars!

satavenger
7 September 2004, 05:09 PM
I hope everyone (especially the Star Wars RPG doomsayers) notice all the business reply cards that have been flying out of minis booster packs and starter sets like so much cartilage from the carcass of some omnivore from the fang rending feeding frenzy of mini collectors.

Please, please, please fill them out and send them in with RPG friendly answers. I want minis for gaming! This is WoTC slapping us in the face with a survey (I literally had one slap me in the face - that freakin' glue was strong on some of those boxes!)

For everyone that wanted to start a Grass Roots campaign, here it is!!!

Thank you
Shane A Thelen

xavant trollian
8 September 2004, 08:51 AM
Here! Here! I, 2nd the motion ! I bought 3 Starters, 6 Boosters already!
That equates to 9 surveys FILLED and SENT (after all, it's rare to see
that WoTC is paying US Mail Postage these days!). I have every single
SW:RPG(d20) book to-date, and I only recollect filling TWO survey cards.
Hmmm... That's only because, I bought two Core Rules!

PLEASE, fill those survey cards out and get them sent ! :-D

- XT -

Ghengis Ska
8 September 2004, 09:48 AM
All Ready done that, i filled out the 10 i had, and put down, 60/40 RPG/Skirmish.

And made sure the RPG was checked in every box where it cames and it even got mentioned in a write in section.

mailed them out yesterday.

satavenger
8 September 2004, 11:34 AM
Now that Ghengis Ska is onboard, the masses should follow...

SAT

Moridin
8 September 2004, 12:27 PM
Good idea! I didn't even think to post anything about this on the main page. Hmm...

satavenger
8 September 2004, 12:31 PM
Hey, Rodney, you've been a busy man, no harm...

That's why you got us little guys around here!

Shane

xavant trollian
8 September 2004, 05:57 PM
For a personal follow-up;
I am buying 5 more boosters tomorrow! And, my Sons' are now
involved in supporting both the SWRPG (d20) & the SW:Minis !
Yessss... they've dumped "Yu-Gi-xx" for a far better Galaxy! :D
They've been turned to the "Right Side" ! :-D

- XT -

Nova Spice
8 September 2004, 06:24 PM
The good news is that I finally found a store that sells the new Minis. The bad news is that I learned how much it costs for the starter set and the booster packs.

I'd love to send in those surveys, but with the high cost and the fact that I have no use for Rebellion-era minis in my campaign, I'm not totally sold on making the investment.

I might be able to convince my PCs to purchase the minis, since one of my PCs is wanting to run a Rebellion-era campaign.

Anyone know if WotC has any plans for EU minis?

xavant trollian
8 September 2004, 07:39 PM
Hmmmmm... EU minis would be awesome, no doubts there!
I truly believe that if the SW Minis are a BIG $ucce$$, we all
would see a nice line of EU. Time will tell! ;-)

- XT -

Moridin
9 September 2004, 07:25 AM
Well, I posted a news item on the front page. I highly reccommend picking up just a couple of boosters Nova Spice because a lot of the Fringe minis can be used for any era. What era do you play in?

Dr_Worm
9 September 2004, 07:53 AM
Sadly, if I plan on getting any minis it will probably be in single figure lots through ebay, so no reply cards for me. I have already put in bids for lots of rebel, Imperail, and wookie soldiers. I really have no patience nor interest in random minis since I plan on using them for the RPG.

Moridin
9 September 2004, 08:03 AM
Dr_Worm, you may want to consider buying some boosters and then trading away what you don't need instead of buying. For what you are going to pay on eBay you could probably get quite a few more minis.

Dr_Worm
9 September 2004, 08:16 AM
We'll see how the auctions turn out. Trading is such a hassle, but at the same time I am not going to pay a buch for some grunts.

Reverend Strone
9 September 2004, 11:58 AM
Dr_Worm, you may want to consider buying some boosters and then trading away what you don't need instead of buying. For what you are going to pay on eBay you could probably get quite a few more minis.

Precisely my plan for the same reasons as the good Doctor. :)

Tao
9 September 2004, 12:55 PM
yeah... im jealous of those of you with 10 packs of minis... i went to go check them out, and when i saw the price tag i just kind of whimpered sadly and turned away. after my two year extended vacation in the amazon im a bit broke and all my spare cash when i got home went into catching up on sourcebooks. luckily my first paycheck from my new job will be in my pocket soon, so well see how that goes for me. (and i promise to send the surveys, okay...)

unfortunately my Old Republic campaign will benefit very little from the starter set characters. i think it best if i just buy a couple of boosters, and hope for the best when the Revenge of the Sith line comes out next April.

B_Davion
9 September 2004, 01:51 PM
BTW moridan, considering that your title thread at the main site says "bring back the RPG" I take it then that WOTC has canned the RPG and only intends to bring it back if we fans all buy their new (and in my case TOTALLY UNWANTED) product?

blivengo
9 September 2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the in-store price is outrageous, but if you get them online they're doable (a little over $1.00 a figure)...however, allow me to relay a story to you..when I first started researching online prices for the minis, www.popularcollections.com had the best prices, so I pre-ordered about a month early...roughly two weeks before release, that site changed their prices and was no longer the lowest, so I e-mailed them to cancel my order and pre-ordered with www.gameoutfitter.com instead...well, a week went by and I received no word from Popular Collections, so I e-mailed them again...then again in two days after no word...the minis came out, I get my order from Game Outfitter the day of as mentioned, still no word from PC...now, the real kicker here is that PC had already charged my debit card for the order...so, suffice to say, I'm pissed...I e-mail them a long, drawn-out message about how their CS hours make it nearly impossible for me to call so e-mail is my only communication option and since they've yet to reply they leave me no choice but to contact the Better Business Bureau, blah, blah, blah...so, the next day I get an e-mail from UPS saying that my order from Popular Collections has been shipped...so, I'm getting my second case tomorrow...now, I was planning on getting another case anyway, but I hadn't planned on paying the extra $30 for it...in conclusion, damn Popular Collections, damn them to hell...

Nova Spice
9 September 2004, 07:16 PM
Well, I posted a news item on the front page. I highly reccommend picking up just a couple of boosters Nova Spice because a lot of the Fringe minis can be used for any era. What era do you play in?

I've been GMing an NJO campaign for over two years now. I looked at some of the fringe minis, and liked what I saw in the Mon Calamari Mercenary and Quarren Assassin.

Depending on what sets come out in the future, I may pick up some of the minis. Until then, the current minis set doesn't hold a lot of use for me. :(

wolfe
10 September 2004, 03:13 AM
yeesh..
with the price they are asking for some of the minis i am so glad i bought lots and lots-have hundreds - of minis for the old game while stil could..

the only way i would get any new ones would be for the episode1-3 eras.

Tao
10 September 2004, 09:33 PM
The Besbin guards also have a nice generic feel to them... Im going to make up some system defense forces out of them.

Nova Spice
11 September 2004, 05:35 PM
Well, I went out and caved in to my own curiosity. I wound up purchasing the Rebel Storm starter set and a booster pack today.

Picked up a C-3PO in the booster.

Anyway, I figure I'll fill out the business reply cards and send them in, letting WotC know that I'd rather see RPG material. The minis aren't all bad, mind you, but the fact that you only get 10 in the starting set and 7 in the boosters, really is disconcerting.

I wish the initial set contained 100 total Minis and each booster contained 10 minis themselves. I wouldn't feel like I was spending so much on so little.

xavant trollian
11 September 2004, 08:03 PM
Heck Nova Spice......

A good marketing tool should've been.....

Starter Kit $29.99: x3 Large Maps (different locals; e.g., Hoth /
Coruscant / Tatooine). Flip side(s): Yavin4 /
Bespin (aka Cloud City) / Death star.
x15 smaller cut-outs (to mix-match)
25 Characters: x1 VR / x2 R / X4 U / X18 C.

Boosters: No change in structure or price!

Layout Expansion(s) $9.99: Various locals within the SW Galaxy.

Heck, that's my personal point of view on WoTC marketing!
Ah but hey... I hold no degree in Business, only what I strongly
feel as a solid commitment to both the SW franchise, and the
gamers alike !

- XT -

Nova Spice
12 September 2004, 12:28 PM
I agree with you one hundred percent, xavant.

I think there should have been multiple battle mats of differing variety. And I certainly think that there should have been more minis in the starter set and more tiles.

If they had included a half dozen mats that contained the Death Star, Tatooine, Hoth, Cloud City, Endor, and Mos Eisley, I'd be hooked.

That being said, they could easily expand the Rebel Storm series with another 40 minis:

The Fringe

-Xizor, Black Sun Leader Very Rare
-Guri Rare
-Dash Rendar, Mercenary Rare
-Ponda Baba Rare
-Lobot, Rare
-Wicket Rare
-Moisture Farmer (generic) Uncommon
-Kubaz Informant (generic) Uncommon
-Bith Musician (generic) Common
-Ewok Shaman (generic) Uncommon
-Tusken Raider War Leader (generic) Uncommon
-Tusken Raider on Bantha (generic) Very Rare
-Sullustan Outlaw (generic) Uncommon
-Duro Spacer (generic) Common
-Rodian Fringer (generic) Common
-Mos Eisley Thug (generic) Common

Total: 16 More

The Rebels

-General Jan Dodonna Rare
-General Carlist Rieekan Rare
-General Crix Madine Rare
-Mon Mothma, Alliance Leader Very Rare
-Wedge Antilles, Ace Pilot Rare
-Luke Skywalker, Rogue Leader Very Rare
-Chewbacca, Loyal Protector Rare
-Rebel Infiltrator (generic) Uncommon
-Hoth Trooper on Tauntaun (generic) Very Rare
-Hoth Scout (generic) Uncommon
-Rebel SpecOps Soldier (generic) Uncommon
-Rebel Intelligence Agent (generic) Uncommon

Total: 12 More

The Imperials

-Grand Admiral Thrawn Very Rare
-General Maximillian Veers, Blizzard Leader Rare
-Admiral Piett Rare
-Captain Lorth Needa Rare
-Ysanne Isard, Intelligence Director Very Rare
-Imperial TIE Pilot (generic) Uncommon
-Imperial Naval Officer (generic) Uncommon
-Imperial Naval Trooper (generic) Uncommon
-Imperial AT-AT Pilot (generic) Uncommon
-Darktrooper (generic) Very Rare
-Prophet of the Dark Side (generic) Very Rare
-Imperial Intelligence Agent (generic) Uncommon

Total: 12 More

Anyway, that's just some ideas I've been tossing around. :)

Grimace
12 September 2004, 02:02 PM
Man, Nova Spice, with the minis you just posted, you made me really desire those things! Even if someone who's a good artist could make "mini drawings" so people could use paper minis, that would be awesome (and a lot cheaper)!

Ah well....something to dream about...

ij thompson
12 September 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by blivengo
...in conclusion, damn Popular Collections, damn them to hell...

you too, huh, Blivengo? I've had nothing but trouble from Popular Collections, as well. And since Hurricane Charlie knocked out the starwars-rpg.net server and my primary email, It's just been even easier for those xxxxxxxs to ignore me. And after they charged my credit card way back in June! I really wonder if my case is going to show up this week...

All others beware! Avoid PopularCollections.com like the plague!!!!!!!!!

Ghengis Ska
19 September 2004, 08:52 AM
The new Mini Preview talks about the Nabbo Soldier listing info from the Secrets of Naboo...

after some discussion of the figure on the WotC boards this was posted by someong who had never played the RPG...

Do most of the SWRPG books contain lots of fluff? I might have to start buying them for the fluff if nothing else.

I saw this with the D&D minis it opened the game up to alot of newer people. While yes the SW minis don't have RPG stats on them if they on the minis page promote thigs like the Source books that the mini is drawn from it can still open things up....

blivengo
19 September 2004, 12:37 PM
My endless search for Star Wars "fluff" is what lead me to the RPG, and the quality and "coolness factor" of the minis is what really got me interested in them...I can definitely see it working in the reverse...I think the minis will re-invigorate the RPG...I think that movie coming out next year will probably do a bit too...

Reverend Strone
19 September 2004, 05:19 PM
Hence the reasoning behind WoTC's move in launching the mini game. Now we just have to help them see how valuable the RPG is as a parallel game, and not just the poor cousin. It's in their interests to have lines that support one another. If the minis do well, it's only good news for the longevity of the RPG.

xavant trollian
19 September 2004, 06:35 PM
As always, I have to agree with the good Rev here! (injecting- I bought yet another booster today! Emporer Palpatine is now my house guest! heh).

Ghengis Ska
20 September 2004, 12:42 PM
I have now finally sent in all 40 of my response cards...
I also pluged the RPG on my Website, and continue to do so on the D&D minis boards... and i honestly can't wait for WotC to put the RPG stats up... i think it will really help out,

I even had some other people in my RPG do the person section so that they all wouldn't look like they were comming from 1 person... (although at 40 products bought they had better listen to my opinion ;) )

I have more than enough Minis for my RPG now, with Tons of Stormtroopers and Twe'liks, Mon Cals, Duros, 3 R2 D2 (every person in the RPG now has an Astrommech for their characters) i am a very happy camper.

Some one on the other page asked if they would be doing EU figures, and they have mentioned that Yes they would be doing EU.

The basic marketing stratagey seems to be, Hit the consumer with the Core SW products, E4-6 for the first one, E1-2 for the second product, E3 for the third then start to open stuff up. Thrarenawn, NJO, were specifically mentioned as sources for EU based characters at GenCon I believe ( some others but can't remember what.)

The Clone Wars Cartoon was mentioned as having a character from it in Clone Strike. And so Far RS has two EU figures a Bothan (the first ever offical figure of a Bothan in ANY line i believe they aren't in aCtion figures or any where else are they?) and Mara Jade.

So yes they are doing and have plans for More EU later....

Reverend Strone
20 September 2004, 02:39 PM
From my illustration work in up and coming WoTC SW Mini Supplement books, I can confirm the presence of more EU characters in future sets- of course I can't tell you who they are unfortunately! :D

Ghengis Ska
20 September 2004, 04:15 PM
Are you doing work on the Ultimate Missions books or something else?

ij thompson
20 September 2004, 04:23 PM
well? WELL??? ;)

Reverend Strone
20 September 2004, 05:05 PM
Yeesh!! ;)

Yes. I've done illustrations for two of them so far- Ultimate Missions Rebel Storm and Ultimate Missions Clone Strike.

Ghengis Ska
20 September 2004, 05:49 PM
You did art for another recent book, didn't you? Want to go look some of it up...

Reverend Strone
20 September 2004, 07:35 PM
I have a few pieces in Ultimate Adversaries and also a handful for D20 Future.

xavant trollian
20 September 2004, 08:08 PM
Nice job in the Ultimate Adversaries too... I wanna give ya credit ! ;)

- XT

Ghengis Ska
21 September 2004, 10:34 AM
You have been pimped

Reverend Strone
21 September 2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys. It's been fun work. Now in the interests of getting more of it I'd better shut up. ;)

Mapmaker
21 September 2004, 09:23 PM
Wow, Reverend! I didn't realize we'd be sharing the credits pages of the same products. That's terrific! :)

Reverend Strone
22 September 2004, 02:40 PM
At long last eh Chris? I'm pretty excited to be sharing credits with the likes of yourself too, especially on a product that I'm so interested in and excited about. :)

Ghengis Ska
22 September 2004, 03:02 PM
8o 8o
Your Killing us, all of these people with inside knowledge and can't say anything other than you are excited!!!!

Mapmaker
22 September 2004, 03:03 PM
I can say I just finished another Star Wars poster map and I'm *REALLY* excited. :) How's that?

Reverend Strone
22 September 2004, 05:23 PM
Tease. ;)

Nova Spice
22 September 2004, 05:45 PM
Don't have too much fun torturing the faithful, Chris. :D

Moridin
22 September 2004, 06:41 PM
I'd like to tease you all with the insider knowledge that I do indeed suck at the miniatures game.

Ghengis Ska
22 September 2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Mapmaker
I can say I just finished another Star Wars poster map and I'm *REALLY* excited. :) How's that?

Hheheheeh, that is actually kind of cool,

becuase to me it means either

Ultimate Missions: "Revenge of the Sith"

Or

another Starter Set...

:D

Reverend Strone
22 September 2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Moridin
I'd like to tease you all with the insider knowledge that I do indeed suck at the miniatures game.

LOL! :D Refreshing to know even our own Moridin can get his behind handed to him sometimes. So has Darth Xavien been dishing out the punishment or is there someone else we oughta be offering our congratulations too? :D ;)

Hightower
27 September 2004, 10:36 AM
Done and Done. I still play the RPG every now and then, though it's getting harder and harder to get the gang together for an evening.

Rev, keep up the good work and post here often (with whatever updates you can...)

Ghenghis - your link in your sig is cool - nice site! However, I think it needs to be updated to your new URL...

Ghengis Ska
27 September 2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Hightower
Ghenghis - your link in your sig is cool - nice site! However, I think it needs to be updated to your new URL...
DOH... I thought i had already... darn...

oh well
gets to work on it...