PDA

View Full Version : ESB 'Cave' scene

Armadious
24 September 2004, 10:14 AM
I was just watching through the DVDs and noticed something I had not seen before in ESB. Luke in the Cave and fighting Vader in the Cave... Dis anyone else notice that some of the walls were rough like bark or dirt and that some - most notable during and slightly before the Vader confrentation looked like they were cut - or were perhaps very weathered metal. Is this explained anywhere?

Darth Fierce
24 September 2004, 11:01 AM
Haven't seen the DVDs, but I remember that in "Heir to the Empire," Luke recovers a beckon call mechanism for a starship in the Dark Side cave. Perhaps that could partly explain the metallic look. Perhaps the cave was part of a docking bay at one point. Pure speculation, of course...

As far as the bark and dirt are concerned, remember Luke had to climb down into the cave, thus roots and dirt would be likely to be present.

Darth Fierce :vader:

hisham
26 September 2004, 05:35 AM
Yes. I noticed that the cave was artifically cut in the original edition of ESB years ago.

Dialogue called for Yoda to call it a "cave". But I think this is one of the instances that the EU has never picked up and expanded on.

Even the Tim Zahn tale didn't. It was still just a cave for all intents and purposes of the story therein.

Darth Fierce
26 September 2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by hisham
Yes. I noticed that the cave was artifically cut in the original edition of ESB years ago.

Dialogue called for Yoda to call it a "cave". But I think this is one of the instances that the EU has never picked up and expanded on.

Even the Tim Zahn tale didn't. It was still just a cave for all intents and purposes of the story therein.

"Heart of Darkness" a story from the Star Wars Tales Volume 4 comics compilation provides an EU interpretation on the history of the "Dark Side" cave. It's unlikely that George Lucas would consider this the "true story" though...

Darth Fierce :vader: