PDA

View Full Version : What the..? It's green now? (SW DVDs)

Reverend Strone
27 September 2004, 05:26 PM
Riddle me this guys.

Has anyone else noticed that in the new Reduxed Classic Trilogy DVDs, Luke's lightsaber is now green when he's training with the remote on the Falcon? Maybe it's just the screen I was watching it on (though I have tried it on two different ones now), but, while earlier in the show his saber is distinctly light blue, when he's training with it on the Falcon it's very, very green now. Very odd.

Jedi_Staailis
27 September 2004, 05:29 PM
It's not your TVs. The lightsaber is certainly green. It seems be most distinctly green in the first shot, and more subtly green (mostly white) in the subsequent shots (though that may be a function of the background of the shot...). Anybody know why this was changed?

Edit: Pulled out my DVDs and reviewed the scenes. In Obi-Wan's hut, the lightsaber is blue. In the first shot on the Falcon, it is green. Subsequent shots on the Falcon are mostly colorless, with a faint green tint.

ij thompson
27 September 2004, 08:06 PM
And you know, I could swear that the round lights in the Falcon's hallway were blue before, and not green, as they are now.

This green pestilence must be stamped out before it threatens all that we hold dear!!!

dgswensen
28 September 2004, 09:58 AM
You guys don't understand. The lightsaber was always meant to be green, the technology just didn't exist back then for Lucas to bring his true, green-lightsaber vision to life as he wanted.

Nova Spice
28 September 2004, 12:27 PM
This was actually one of the first changes I noticed in the DVD Trilogy. I thought it was pretty cool at first, though I'm a bit confused as to why it's green in the Falcon, yet blue in Obi-Wan's hut.

Dual-phase lightsaber, anyone? :D

guaeko
28 September 2004, 12:40 PM
It's not just green either, throughout the movie (and ep V, I think it's the same lightsaber), it shifts through various shades of blue. I could be wrong about this, as I am partially colorblind, but it looked a little violet in some parts of Empire.

Rostek
28 September 2004, 02:21 PM
It's the **cough cough** lighting, yes, that's it.
Obi-Wan's hut uses natural lights, and the Falcon uses florescent bulbs ;)
Maybe GL will fix it in the "Uber-Super Duper Fantastique Special Edition" in 2009 :P

Hightower
28 September 2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
You guys don't understand. The lightsaber was always meant to be green, the technology just didn't exist back then for Lucas to bring his true, green-lightsaber vision to life as he wanted.

Ignore the man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful OZ!

Fingon
28 September 2004, 07:40 PM
Ignore the man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful OZ!

Hey!! That's my line! Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Falcon's lights were blue. I'll go check...

Yep... They're all white-blue.

Tao
7 October 2004, 02:50 PM
so... is this going to depreciate the value of my old blue lightsaber... or maybe i should paint it green... or something...

ij thompson
7 October 2004, 04:16 PM
Maybe it's a 'mood' thing, like this ring I have with the stone in it that's been black for ten years... :P

Rogue Janson
7 October 2004, 04:39 PM
Hence why Sith (always in a bad mood) all have red lightsabres?

Rogue Janson
7 October 2004, 04:41 PM
Hence why Sith (always in a bad mood) all have red lightsabres?

Kordeth
7 October 2004, 08:26 PM
Actually, I don't think this is a new change in the DVDs--I don't have a VCR here to check my THX editions of the original movies or my old Special Edition VHS tapes, but I definitely remember the lightsaber having a distinct greenish tint in the SEs, and I think that was just a slight brightening and tweaking of the original--the SEs didn't really update the lightsaber effects, as I recall.