PDA

View Full Version : Minis and RPG

Iceman
29 September 2004, 07:04 PM
i just bought a starter and booster of minis and was wondering if they could be used with the rpg or are supposed to be used alone?:?

Ghengis Ska
29 September 2004, 08:16 PM
They are easly used with the RPG.

I used a bunch of Twe'liks just tonight, the players were on Ryloth and so the twe'liks some painted different colors (the skin to give a wide range and to tell them apart). were the people in the fight they were in.

The stats on the card don't really work for the RPG (the yare suppossed to be putting those up one of these days,) but the minis work fine and dandy as NPCS and PCs.

S-Hershey
29 September 2004, 08:19 PM
The minis may be used either stand alone with the rules that come in the starter pack, or you may use them with the RPG. I believe many use them for both. The rules that come with the minis are much simpler than the RPG rules and while based on the RPG & d20, they are not the same.

Korpil
1 October 2004, 07:16 AM
Ok, I've got a question... suppose I just bought enough miniatures to start playing and I've got no idea whatsoever about the RPG... but somehow I get attracted to it... which will be the best way to start playing? Will WOTC publish a book that will bond the gap between the two interests? Sort of like an introductory RPG book for miniatures players?

Also, will we see new characters on the miniatures that will require new RPG stats?

Ghengis Ska
1 October 2004, 08:11 AM
You are asking this retoricaly right? (i've been to your website i know you know about the RPG... ;) )

Maybe.

So far they are attempting to bridge the gap by introducing the RPG to the minisplayers on the minis website, showing where the mini came from, the RPG sources for it etc. They are suppossed to be at some point in time putting up RPG stats for the minis (converting the mini figures HP tp VP WP etc and how that mini would look in the RPG, they have the stat form them or most of them becuase playtesters were confussed as to which to use in early games RPG or Mini). Which would be the first bridge to that. if the response was then high enough they might do a SW version of the D&D Miniatures Handbook. Which was a D&D book that was desgined to meld the RPG+Minis games.

But as it stands now no one has seen any hint of this type of book for SW...

But honestly for me i don't need a specific bridge book, but then i know and like both already...

It is for people like Iceman who are a little confused.

The way you use them for the RPG is plonk them on the graph paper, or what ever combat surface you are using, assign X mini to RPG stats you have for something, and run combat.

You got a Gammoran guard and Jabba, they are facing Jabba with some guards. Grab Jabba's stats from the Rebellion era book, or Secrets of Tat. Use those stats for jabba, and the mini is jabbas representation on the board where the characters have a mini also, it shows the range and distance between them for determining fire range penalties, AoO, Cover etc. The other minis you have do the same thing asign or make up RPG stats.

Korpil
1 October 2004, 08:23 AM
Hehe, yes it's a theoretical question... see... I want to introduce several friends to RPG, and I think that the minis game will be the best way to do so...

And I'm also hoping for some kind of gapping book...

Originally posted by Ghengis Ska
You are asking this retoricaly right? (i've been to your website i know you know about the RPG... ;) )

Maybe.

They are suppossed to be at some point in time putting up RPG stats for the minis (converting the mini figures HP tp VP WP etc and how that mini would look in the RPG, they have the stat form them or most of them becuase playtesters were confussed as to which to use in early games RPG or Mini). Which would be the first bridge to that. if the response was then high enough they might do a SW version of the D&D Miniatures Handbook. Which was a D&D book that was desgined to meld the RPG+Minis games.

But as it stands now no one has seen any hint of this type of book for SW...

Reverend Strone
2 October 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Korpil
Hehe, yes it's a theoretical question... see... I want to introduce several friends to RPG, and I think that the minis game will be the best way to do so...

Amen to that. There's a guy I know who would love the RPG if he gave it a chance. I've been working on him for years. He saw the minis and said "oh wow- those are so cool!"

Hehe- I think I have found that hook you spoke of Korpil.

Bloodcat
4 October 2004, 10:42 PM
I used to use Warhammer 40K, Action Fleet, and Lego figures for my short and sadly unpopulated SW RPG campaign, so IMHO its generally always been about the minis in the D20 RPG system. To me it seems barely playable without the figures for combat.

Hightower
5 October 2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Bloodcat
I used to use Warhammer 40K, Action Fleet, and Lego figures for my short and sadly unpopulated SW RPG campaign, so IMHO its generally always been about the minis in the D20 RPG system. To me it seems barely playable without the figures for combat.

I remember doing that! Sometimes I would change the scale of the grid and even use MicroMachines figures, since I had so many more of them than any other kind of Star Wars miniature.

I spent a lot of money on the WEG miniatures, and like others have alluded to, it was always difficult to find enough cannon-fodder type troops. It always felt strange to have a Desert Stormtrooper, a Scout Trooper and two Snowtroopers fighting inside a Star Destroyer against escaped Rebel characters.

Ghengis Ska
5 October 2004, 07:59 PM
the lack of minis and using anything and everything i could get my hands on is one of the reasons i like these new minis so much.
:D

I have almost enough stromtroopers to make me happy, but then you can never have enough Stomrtroopers... ;)

Tao
6 October 2004, 09:32 AM
i actually used pogs (you remember pogs right...) with characeter sketches glued to them to simulate characters. and before that we used everything from legos to action figures to the star wars monopoly figures.

im sooooo glad these miniatures came out.

Ghengis Ska
6 October 2004, 09:41 AM
Remember pogs, i think they still sell SW ones, i think i saw some at a local TRU this pasr weekend.