PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it fun?

Daz
5 December 2004, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys,

Any of you remember playing the "Star Warriors" board game? Any of you remember how Tie Interceptors had the ability to turn on 1 hex using overturn, and fire twice using "Snap Fire"? Remember how the Tie Interceptor had very low difficulty numbers and could easily use this tactic every turn to get exact placement and two hits virtually every round regardless of any manoeuvre an opponent used? Remember how once this was this was discovered everyone started using Tie Interceptors as choosing any other ship was often a shortcut to defeat?

The point I'm trying to make is that similar loopholes and ultimate characters are slowly being discovered in our Star Wars Minis games. In three way battles, even with the points for kills option, 2 players will usually fight it out first, while a third picks off the odd character, then finally moves in on the weakened remaining side and takes out the now heavily damaged "Unique" characters to win the game. While use of these tactics and characters is perfectly legal within the rules, it does lead to repetitive games with most of the same characters being selected each time.

I don't want to get to the point where we're banning certain characters or changing rules, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had any "home grown" scoring systems or scenarios that lead to less calculated skirmishes or encourage a wider mix of characters being played?

Cheers

Daz

Donovan Morningfire
5 December 2004, 02:40 PM
There certainly is a way to avoid having the third guy sit back and still kills ... form an alliance with the other guy and wipe him out, then get back to killing each other :D

{Note the above is intended with a lot of sarcasm}

I occasionally haunt the WotC SW Minis boards, and the psuedo-official response on this can be pretty much summed up as "oh well, too bad, so sad."

About the only suggestion that comes to mind to prevent the above w/o adding a lot of special rules is that every player keeps a tally sheet and records how much damage they've done to the target. Whoever has inflicted the most damage when the target bites it gets the points. In the case of a tie, the points are split 50/50, with any fractions being dropped. It will require extra bookkeeping, which is something a lot of folks would prefer to avoid, but it does keep people from doing to much "camping" and "frag-swiping."

Or, if all else fails, repeated beatings with a wiffle bat might induce a change of attitude {this also said w/ heaping doses of sarcasm}

Daz
6 December 2004, 02:13 AM
Thanks Donovan,

Actually I've been thinking of a similar scoring system. I was thinking of scoring one point for every point of damage taken by an opponent. (eg. Doing 20 damage to a 40 HP character would score you an immediate 20 points, however doing 30 damage to a 10 HP character would only score you 10) Also I was thinking of adding a bonus 10 points if this damage is done from an adjacent square, to encourage more use of "Melee" characters.

Have any of you got suggestions for scenarios? Have you found that "Capture the Flag" or scenarios where one team has more points to start with, but must hit several "Checkpoints" to win, lead to games that are less dug in?

Thanks again

Daz

Jughead
6 December 2004, 08:48 AM
I had similar gripes about three player games. Though it was more on behalf of other people since I was rarely involved in a stolen kill as it was more often than not, my guy biting the dust.

My friends and I agreed for next time to give the kill to whoever inflicted the most damage or at least giving them most of the points.

Actually, we've since never tried a three-way match. It's either been 1on1 or 2on2. The last time we had three people (the most recent time I played), we played 2on1 where my friend and I had two squads of 60 against a squad of 120 and just alternated turns between both sides. That was a lot of fun... Both sides each won a game. :)

We tried a "Capture the Ewok" scenario where we stuck an Ewok in the detention cell while one of us started in the Hanger Bay and the other in the Flight Control Center. It wasn't well thought out and we didn't finish the game due to time constraints but it was blast watching all the attacks...