PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else buy Clone Strike?

watanabe2k
6 December 2004, 08:19 AM
Just curious if anyone else bought any of the clone strike miniatures. I just bought 1 starter pack and 6 boosters, I really like some the figures espeically the clones, and super battle droids.

I also managed to pull Mace Windu, Aurra Sing, and Asaj Ventress, so I am pretty happy with my packs.

The Ghost
6 December 2004, 08:48 AM
Asajj.

i'm gonna get a pack or two for myself for x-mas.

Jughead
6 December 2004, 08:50 AM
Nice, Mace! He's the one figure I want most.

I've only gotten the starter set so far, and I also bought two cases that haven't arrived yet, through eBay...

Reverend Strone
6 December 2004, 10:01 AM
Just picked up a starter pack for now but I'm looking forward to the two cases of boosters I've ordered. I was surprised to see them on sale here in NZ a full day ahead of the US release - I guess because of the dateline. For Rebel Storm however, we had to wait weeks for them to appear.

Moridin
6 December 2004, 11:27 AM
All I've managed to snag are a starter and a booster. As luck would have it, I got a Padme Amidala, the one character I hate most in the prequels. *shakes fist at the sky* Khaaaaaaaaaaan!

Sithspawn
6 December 2004, 02:19 PM
I bought a starter & couple of boosters. The only very rare I got was Aurra Sing, a good figure.

Some of the figures are very good, the Nikto & wookiee spring to mind. But I thought the Clone Troopers were poorly painted compaired to the Rebel Strike Stormtroopers, and the Battle Droids are a bit fragile, all coming out bent. It was the thin dainty figures such as the battle droids that made me stop collecting the regular line.

Can't see me rushing out to complete my Clone Strike set.

Jughead
6 December 2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Just picked up a starter pack for now but I'm looking forward to the two cases of boosters I've ordered. I was surprised to see them on sale here in NZ a full day ahead of the US release - I guess because of the dateline. For Rebel Storm however, we had to wait weeks for them to appear.

Any one character you're hoping to score?

How come you have no love for Padme, Moridin? Her and Mace are the two characters I want most. But that's just cause I like Natalie Portman... :P

Seems like a lot of people are disappointed in the same way as you are Sithspawn. But cool, you're from England. I'm probably headed across the pond to Manchester with my family in the New Year for a week or so...

Tao
6 December 2004, 04:53 PM
i picked up the starter and a couple of boosters. not much to say really... i do think the quality is poor in comparison to rebel storm, which is very disappointing. some of them are pretty nice though. im working on a nice little fringe group, with Jengo and a pair of Deveronian bounty hunters, as well as an evil group with Maul and the Sith apprentices. From what Ive seen, the good figures are excellent, and the filler pieces are... well... crap. Nyeh, I can live with that.

watanabe2k
6 December 2004, 09:26 PM
anyone notice a resemblance between the Jedi Guardian miniature and the picture of the Jedi Weapon Master in the PotJ sourcebook?

Tao
7 December 2004, 04:41 AM
yeah... the sith acolyte is also identical to one of the characters in the Darksdie Sourcebook (i believe she is also in the Core Rulebook, in the prestige class section).

Darth Jerrod
7 December 2004, 09:21 AM
Dont forget Jango is not Fringe he is Seperatist. though in home games it does not matter.

I got a starter and a booster waiting on the case I ordered.

I got a lot of clone troopers and battledroids. The only jedi I got was Kenobi from the starter. My buddy bought 4 boosters, and got several Jedi, makes me mad. I hope my case gets here soon.

Hey Moridin if I get any Padme's I will give them too you when I see you at Gencon. :D

Jerrod

Moridin
7 December 2004, 09:29 AM
Ugh. I just think Natalie Portman is the worst actress in the prequels and is bringing the movies down.

I got a Jedi Guardian and was thrilled to see that it was the Weapon Master from PotJ. Little touches like that make me all tingly inside.

Jughead
7 December 2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
Ugh. I just think Natalie Portman is the worst actress in the prequels and is bringing the movies down.

I got a Jedi Guardian and was thrilled to see that it was the Weapon Master from PotJ. Little touches like that make me all tingly inside.

Really, Moridin? Even worse than the "Annie" Anakin from Episode I? Now granted, being a big fan of Natalie Portman, I tend to see her acting through beer goggles or whatever you want to call them.

I can't wait for my two cases to arrive though. I hope they don't get held up at customs...

Reverend Strone
7 December 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Jughead

Any one character you're hoping to score?

Nah- not really. I'll take what I can get as I open my boxes- many of which I'll no doubt trade off- but of course I'm most interested in the Fringe stuff as it's more useful in my campaign. I don't really play the minis game itself-just use the minis as game aids for RPGing.

Donovan Morningfire
8 December 2004, 04:51 PM
I picked up two cases, one from the LGS and another online thru Noble Knight games, as well as a Starter.

And now I'm only missing 8 figures, but they're all the figures I really wanted, namely Aayla Secura, Mace Windu, Yoda, and Darth Maul. I did at least snag Count Dooku, a Destroyer Droid, and Qui-Gon. Not to mention a lot of the other Jedi rare/ultra-rares are pretty darn beefy. Some of which sadly makes "Jedi Knight" Luke look more and more like a punk. (Here's hoping they nerf RS Luke and either lower his cost or beef up his stats a bit.)

BTW, am I the only one that seems to be getting more than a few Battle Droids that are horribly bent at the base, to the point they looking to be standing at a 30 degree angle (or less) from the ground? Not to mention a lot of bent lightsabers.

Of the scuplts, I especially like the Wookiee Commando and the Gungans. Too bad there's still only one Wookiee that can attack at range :(

Reverend Strone
8 December 2004, 05:36 PM
Pretty much all the Battle Droids I've seen are bent at the ankles, but some hot water fixes that smartly.

There is some power drift in the new sets that outclass old Luke, but then I guess the Jedi of the Old Republic were tougher then their later successors, perhaps until NJO days anyways- at least that's the way I've always imagined it.

Jughead
8 December 2004, 09:16 PM
I always imagined it that way too with the Jedi. I mean, Luke's pretty much been learning everything on his own. Ben taught him a bit in the short time they were together before Vader cut him down and then Yoda for a bit, but for the most part, it seems Luke just gets lessons on his own or through whatever research from archived material...

All I have so far is still the start set and my only droid is bent too. :(

Tao
9 December 2004, 05:26 AM
all the droids will be bent... its a quirk of the manufacturing. put them in some hot water, pose them as you like, and then quickly dunk them into cold water. for a festive feel you could also dunk them into glitter, but i wouldnt recommend it.

oh and the same technique can be used to adjust the poses of some characters. enjoy.

Reverend Strone
9 December 2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Tao
oh and the same technique can be used to adjust the poses of some characters. enjoy.

Indeed- I've used it to straighten out some wonky lightsabers and turn Fiorce sausages into Force Pikes. It even helped my Ithorian Scout look less like he was watering his garden and a little more like a he ment business.

Ghengis Ska
10 December 2004, 07:43 AM
I have gotten Two cases (well get the second today) and three Starters... I got the one i wanted, then entered the Tourney in NC so got one there, and i was buying one for a freind who ended up getting one... so i have three, which is actually cool, becuase Jango and Obi are so Custimizable :)

and out of all of the singles i bought 2, and won some by placeing second in the Tourney... so i know have two Aalya Secura and Two Vos.. but no Yoda or Mace, only missing like 2 rares and most of the Septs Vr..

I like the Set it really gives some nice jedi based characters for the RPG and some decent Fringe too, wish maybe a few more fringe for the RPG, but the Nikto, Dev, Klato are great for popultating Crime lord Hide outs...

Jughead
10 December 2004, 10:13 AM
So when people play RPG with the miniatures, they basically have one character represent one player and scatter the rest of the other characters they might encounter across the map?

Ghengis Ska
10 December 2004, 05:09 PM
Er kind of, they aren't Scattered...

The players control one guy each, with alot more abilites and options than the Minis stats, and the GM controls the rest of them...

Scattered may be a not be the best term.

Think of RtoJ and the scene over the sarlac pit, The Players are Luke, Han, Chewie, Lando, and Leia, the main characters, the GM controls Jabba and all of the Other guys. Everybody gets a chance to act once, then a new round starts. and you repeat (when we say everyoene the GM typicalyl moves, fires lotss of guys, some go running into the room, others fire, some close to melee, Jabba grapples with Liea so she doesn't choke him). The NPC (non player character) minis are usally in set positions, like Jabba is on his dias, there are Guards at the doors, the Wequeey on the skiffs... The encounter and the situation determines the location of the other minis its not random like scattered implies.

Jughead
10 December 2004, 08:32 PM
So when they say "fully compadible with the Star Wars RPG" they just mean you can use the mini's to represent certain guys, but they expect you to use the RPG rulebook as opposed to the skirimish stats cards?

And the miniatures are just good ways of representing various NPC's and player characters?

That sounds pretty cool. It's too bad I'd be the only one of my friends who would ever be able to come up with stuff and be the GM. Or at least, I'd be the only one willing to put the time in. So I'd never get to play in an adventure of my own...

Ghengis Ska
10 December 2004, 08:42 PM
Yup thats the long and short of it.

Some of the Figures are dran directly from the RPG. The Darkside Acolyte looks alsmost excatly like a Picture from the Darkside Sourcebook, and the Revised Core rule book. The Generic Rodian Jedi looks just like the drawing of the jedi Weapon master in the Power of the Jedi source book.

And i know where you are commiing from in being the only one who would be the GM (game master) i'm pretty much in the same boat for Star Wars, there are many people who like to play it (wel labout 6 i know) but none want to be the GM so i do it for the group.

You can always run an NPC character of your own, you have a guy in the game, but it can be hard...

Jughead
10 December 2004, 08:52 PM
I guess another problem is a lot of my friends and I have so many different things we want to do. Watch this, play that, dance to that. An RPG, sadly, probably requires more of an attention span and set-up than a lot really have. Usually, anyway.

I was organizing my mini's (just got Princess Leia, Captive and 4 Rebel troopers in the mail) and I noticed that in my starter set for CS there was another Genosian drone or something in there. I didn't notice it when I first opened the pack. So, bonus! :)

I went and bought the Core Rulebook today, but when I got home from hockey I noticed I bought the old one and not the revised one. :mad:

Maybe they'll let me exchange it and I'll pay the difference for the revised copy...

blivengo
14 December 2004, 06:56 PM
Man...I wasn't going to look into the Clone Strike set until after X-mas because I'm exceptionally poor this time of year, but I just couldn't control myself...now, I haven't actually bought any of them yet, but I did check out the gallery on Ska's site and now I'm drooling...I may have to take a trip down to the local comic book store (probably to be disappointed when boosters are $20.00 each...dicks) and pick up a few boosters and a starter...damn Wizards for making such a cool product come out so close to the holidays!

Now, to chime in on the off-topic acting discussion...first and foremost, in my opinion, aside from Ewan, Count Saruman, and Frank Oz's voice work, there is little to no pure acting talent in the new films so far (yes, that's right, I don't even think Liam's all that great)...but, that said, I have to agree that Jake Lloyd is the worst actor in the history of Star Wars (saving, of course, anyone and everyone involved with that damned "Holiday Special")...I also must agree that Natalie Portman is a beautiful woman...pretty to look at, but not that great at acting...not in these movies anyway...Closer however...

Tao
15 December 2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by blivengo
Closer however...

ah yes. a stellar performance all around in closer. lets hope that "plain jane" padme carries her newfound talent across the genre gap and steps up in her last star wars appearance.

watanabe2k
15 December 2004, 07:42 PM
please don't mention Jake Lloyd, I still cringe with his "space angel" scene with Natalie. I can't believe he was the best talent they could find.

That said, I have my 2nd case of CS coming tomorrow (which I ordered last friday), and in a weird turn, the 3rd case I ordered (2 weeks ago) will finally be shipped out tomorrow..........

Seems like some people have had troubles getting hold of cases.

Reverend Strone
16 December 2004, 12:36 PM
Yep- ordered a case of boosters myself three weeks ago, but with Christmas shipping delays it'll be another 4 to 6 before I see it. :(

Ah well, it was worth it for the price- still only about 2/3rds what I'd pay at retail.

Darth Jerrod
16 December 2004, 01:05 PM
I got my first case two days ago.

I snagged a Yoda and Darth Sidious those two I was most proud of.

I am only 14 mini's from a whole set.

I have, with random buys here and there gotten another case worth of boosters from various stores so that does help with only needing 14 more.

From one store, talk about luck. I bought 3 boosters and got Darth maul out of the first one. I was like YES!!! B) and was thinkin to myself that its rare to get an identical pull from another booster from the same store. I open the 2nd booster :D score another Darth Maul. 3rd booster was Gungan on Kaadu :raised:

This store is lucky, I got my Boba Fett from the store so I think I will continue to use this outlet of the Force sparingly I dont wanna run the river dry.

And before anyone asks, I am putting Maul up on Ebay as well as a second Yoda I got from a local comic shop plus various other R and VR I happen to have doubles of. This will help me finance ROTS when it comes out :D

Darth Jerrod

watanabe2k
17 December 2004, 06:22 AM
My first two cases were pretty good pulls (except for pulling 3 Asajj's, 3 Zam's, 2 Gungan Kaadu's, 2 Genosian picadors) everything turned out good.

I got
VR:
2 Count Dooku's (trading one)
Darth Maul
Quinlan Vos
Padme
Aurra Sing
Mace Windu

R:
Asajj x3
Zam x3
Gungan Kaadu x2
Geonosian Picador x2
Captain Typho x2
Agen Kolar x2
Plo Koon
Durge
Dwarf Spider Droid

it seems whether I buy as a case or as individuals I am haunted by Asajj and Zam everywhere I go.........:P

Ghengis Ska
17 December 2004, 07:18 AM
I'm haunted by padme, Vos and Aalya 3 each of them, and 3 durge :(

Donovan Morningfire
17 December 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ghengis Ska
I'm haunted by padme, Vos and Aalya 3 each of them, and 3 durge :(
Actually, I need a Vos and Durge. If you're interested in maybe doing some trading, shoot me an e-mail. I have a decent stock of rares/very rares, so perhaps an arrangement can be reached.

Ghengis Ska
17 December 2004, 03:48 PM
Darn, you were just online, well sent a PM and Email... maybe i can finish this out this weekend...

Donovan Morningfire
17 December 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ghengis Ska
Darn, you were just online, well sent a PM and Email... maybe i can finish this out this weekend...
Yeah, I tend to flit about quite a bit (just as Rissy) :D

E-mails (and PM) received, and I thank you sir.

Jedi_Knight02
30 December 2004, 07:09 AM
I boguht my first two boxes and here's what I got...but I don't remember what boxes they were in.....................

Anakin Skywalker

Devaronian Bounty Hunter(x2)

Gran Raider

Clone Trooper(x2)

ARC Trooper(x2)

Dark Side Acolyte

Battle Droid(x2)

Weequay Mercenary

Aurra Sing

Wookie Commando

Mr. Fett
8 January 2005, 02:16 PM
I got the clone strike starter set over the holidays and plan to buy some when I have some money. I really have been wanting some more clones, battle droids, and arc troopers because I am currently running a clone heavy campaign. Ah well slow and steady wins the race. I really do like these minitures I hope wizards releases like a second line of old republic stuff. Maybe they could do starships. Now that would be awesome.

Reverend Strone
8 January 2005, 04:00 PM
The next set out is going to be based on Revenge of the Sith, so I reckon you'll get your wish Fett. :)

I've got a couple of cases of Clone Strike on the way, but because I am not running a campaign in a Jedi-intensive time period (ie- Rebellion Era), I will have little use for many of the Clone Strike minis. My plan is to trade alot of the less appropriate ones, like the Jedi and Clones, for Rebel Strike pieces I'm still looking for.

Mr. Fett
8 January 2005, 06:32 PM
The next one is going to be on ROTS really? I didn't know this. Where did you learn this. Do you know anymore about it?

Ghengis Ska
8 January 2005, 07:17 PM
It (RotS) and the Next set are listed on the WotC products page, the 4th set will have Huge Minis. it is called Univeral Huge Pack.

Mr. Fett
11 January 2005, 03:54 AM
Thats awesome! I wonder what the universal "huge pack" consists of. Think these minis are just awesome and I can't wait for more. Fett out.

Ghengis Ska
11 January 2005, 08:22 AM
Going by the D&D Huge Pack (Gaints of Legand) there will most likely be 10-12 Huge minis, things like an ATST, Rancor, Bantha, maybe a Speeder, etc, things that from the RPG take up a HUGE facing 3x3 sqaures and are Size huge. It should still be a 60 mini set, but there were some serious issues with GoL when they did D&D and it will be intersting to see if WotC Learned from the mistakes of that line. and try to correct them in SW.

it would be a Nightmare to complete the Set if they did it like D&D.

With GoL they had 72 minis, 60 regualr + 12 Huge, (however it has been said that ALL sets will be 60 from now on), you got your normal assortment of Regualr minis (i.e. not HUGE) and one Huge in the Pack. The Huge had their own rarity levels as well, Common/Uncommon. With the increased number, and two rareity levels in the Huge, it was a painfull after a while. You got LOTS of Huge you didn't want trying to search for that one missing Huge Uncommon etc. Many people gave up on GoL and don't have full sets. It took about 3-4 cases to get a complete GoL sets with LOTS of extra commons and even lots of extra Huge Commons, i was giving away Huges in silly, and some people didn't even want them they had so many, there were trades of Common Huge like 5 for 1 rare, just to get rid of some of them.

If they do the same thing with SW UHP, it could literly take you 6 cases to get a complete set. Add in the U/C of Huge with C/U/R/VR at 72 minis and it will be a nightmare to get all of them. Drop it to 60, better, but if WotC learned from the mistake (which they said they did) i have high hopes for it. The Figures from GoL were GREAT, the distrubution could have been done better.

Reverend Strone
19 January 2005, 03:26 PM
Alright- got my first case of CS minis and I must say I'm stoked with them. I think I did very well with my rare and Very rare pulls. Here's what I got-

Yoda
General Grievous
Darth Sidious
Darth Maul
Asaj Ventress
Durge
Droideka
Ki Adi Mundi
Geonosian Picador on Orray
Aerial Clone Capain
Kit Fisto
B Droid on STAP

Overall a really good haul. :)

Darth Jerrod
21 January 2005, 02:26 PM
that is a good haul

Nightsider
25 January 2005, 05:48 PM
The very first box I got, I was lucky enough to pull Mace Windu. 8 boxes later I had Count Dooku, Asaj Ventress, Aura Sing, Padme, and a bunch of Jedi. I must say that Mace rocks it hard!
Would love to get Yoda and Darth Maul!

:isd:

Jedi Master Talon
26 January 2005, 05:14 AM
I have Jango, Asji Ventress, Zam Wessel, and Obi Wan. I want to get Mace Windu, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. I hate all that have the figures that I want.

Humble minion
27 January 2005, 03:00 PM
I only use the minis for the RPG - I don't collect them. So I've been making a bunch of people very happy by trading my spare rares and very rares for uncommons that might actually be useful to me. Trouble is, I'd really like some droidekas and I can't for the life of me get a hold of any. I swear, I've seen more Darth Mauls and Yodas (VRs) available than I have droidekas (rare, supposedly). It's really getting annoying...

Reverend Strone
27 January 2005, 03:14 PM
A big amen to that from me too. Likewise, as a guy who uses the Minis for RPGing, Mauls, Anakins and Grievous etc are of little use to me, so I'm happily trading them away for other stuff that is useful. Those Droidekas however, are as useful for Mini-gamers in large numbers as they are to RPGers, so they're quiet sought after. Not too many folks trading them off.

Ghengis Ska
27 January 2005, 06:02 PM
That's for sure, the DD i managed to get 3 of, i ain't letting go of...

And one of the problems they are hard to fin is an online company had priced them in an error at $2, people ordered up to 30, before the company wised up, i think something like out of the 250 ordered by various people about 60 got sent out, so there are people sitting on tons of them (i never even tried, i have a few of the Action Fleet ones that i use for RPG so 5 is enough for me (3 from pulls and 2 Action Fleet)