PDA

View Full Version : I'm ticked off at the things that eat RPG books.

hisham
12 December 2004, 06:24 AM
AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I have a ton of WEG SWD6 books and one RCRB sitting on a shelf in the storage room back there.

I discovered that termites had eaten part of the shelf and built a nest between the books and the wall. I've done away with the insects and cleaned away the hive, but some of my books are pretty badly stained and there's a hole running through my Dark Force Rising Sourcebook.

Jericho_Narcas
12 December 2004, 07:14 AM
Man, that really sucks. And I thought silverfish were bad enough -- they like the glue used in bookbinding, but at least your pages are left intact. I'd hate to see what termites could do to my collection.

Ravager_of_worlds
12 December 2004, 02:52 PM
ah! that's really terrible- hmm... I dread the day we got to vacuum shrink our rpg books if they're just sitting on shelves...

Darth_Cassed
13 December 2004, 12:00 AM
hisham, you know what we have to do.

I'll be flying to Malaysia for the funeral.

This is a most solemn occasion.

cheshire
13 December 2004, 06:17 AM
The most irritating threat to books are those pesky termites, silverfish, and crickets. But at least you have the pleasure of being able to irradicate their chitinous bodies from the face of the earth. You really run into problems if you have mold.

I've worked in libraries before and once the mold starts in a book, there isn't any way to stop it (short of burning or bleeching). The best you can do is srink wrap or vaccuum seal the book and freeze it. It won't kill the mold, but it'll stop it from spreading to the rest of your collection.

REG
13 December 2004, 01:57 PM
You would think by now we would have the technology to resist mold and infestation eating our books.

guaeko
13 December 2004, 02:09 PM
Like some sort of gigantic destruction ray that destroys all mold/creepy bugs!!!!! Of course, then the books get destroyed by the destruction ray...

cheshire
13 December 2004, 03:28 PM
Like some sort of gigantic destruction ray that destroys all mold/creepy bugs!!!!! Of course, then the books get destroyed by the destruction ray...

Yes, I wanted to try microwaving the crap out of an expendable book. My supervisor was game, but the library director told me that I would have to pay for a new microwave if it happened to detonate. :) It's a good thing I didn't try, because I discovered a metal security strip in the spine of the book later.

There are alternatives to paper storage, such as new plastics they can use to make pages, but the printing costs make it not very cost-effective, and electronic data storage has it's problems.

But until then, we can use our death rays on the critters!

SmugglerJedi
13 December 2004, 03:50 PM
You know, I've seen scientists - well, maybe not exactly scientists - prove that metal will not explode in a microwave. Just go and watch <i>Mythbusters</i>, Wednesday night at 9 PM! It is an awesome show! Pretty darn funny!

Sorry to break into your possibly private conversation. SJ.

Vanger Chevane
14 December 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SmugglerJedi
You know, I've seen scientists - well, maybe not exactly scientists - prove that metal will not explode in a microwave. Just go and watch <i>Mythbusters</i>, Wednesday night at 9 PM! It is an awesome show! Pretty darn funny!

Sorry to break into your possibly private conversation. SJ.
There's a rather interesting website out there about Things not to do with a Microwave that sheds some light on that. Much of it has to do with the shape. A rounded spoon won't really do much, but a fork can shoot sparks from its tines... :P

cheshire
15 December 2004, 05:07 AM
The little scraps of foil that you didn't completely peel off of the peanut butter jar... yeah... those'll spark.

SmugglerJedi
16 December 2004, 04:49 PM
Hmm, new ideas for my campaign! Very interesting! Thanks!

Oh, and sorry if I might have gone a little off topic. Shoot me later. Like when I'm already in the ground. :D

SJ.

wolverine
16 December 2004, 10:41 PM
You would think, with all the wonderful (and not so wonderful) technology we have, we would be able to erradicate these buggers by now... And does anyone know what would happen to ecology if we did? Do termites fulfil a purpose??

Darth Fierce
17 December 2004, 04:06 AM
Yep, termites fulfill a purpose. They provide the "fuel" for their predators. Without them, species that dine basically exclusively on termites (such as aardvarks) would go extinct.

Darth Fierce :vader:

cheshire
17 December 2004, 06:54 AM
They also aid in the breakdown of wood products. Though, at the moment, this may not seem like such a good thing.

Hmm, new ideas for my campaign! Very interesting! Thanks!

Heh, if you want to turn this into a campaign idea, then we can still do that.

Your party is onboard a passenger ship disguised as refugees. But on your last port of call you picked up an infestation of insects that eat metal. They are genetically engineered by the Empire as an attempt to assasinate one of the crew members. Save the ship before the critters eat through too much of it and everyone dies (or just the one member if you're unlucky) destory the buggers, and save the day.

hisham
17 December 2004, 06:59 AM
How about a wooden cargo ship that is transporting RPG books.... oh wait.

:)

SmugglerJedi
18 December 2004, 10:57 AM
This is <i>Star Wars</i>, not D&D. Sheesh.

BTW, that is a very good adventure idea! Especially since my campaign... (trails off into insane nonsense.)

SJ.

neolink111
26 January 2005, 03:49 PM
termites suck. but my problem is dogs. now i know the whole "don't leave your books on the floor" thing, but my story is ridiculous. see i put EVERYTHING up high because my dog will eat just about ANYTHING it sees on the ground. but i swear, if animals had past lives, my dog was a CAT. he manages to jump up onto anything. he hopped on a chair, onto my dresser and chewed the books ON MY SHELF!!! this thing needs some serious therapy and so will I if this continues!! lol

(Derek if you see this and are mondo confused tell me and i shall explain)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
26 January 2005, 04:36 PM
RIght now, my rpg books are sitting in a few of those Rubber Maid tote containers. Air tight, dry, portable / carryable, stackable, and keeps the books in excellent shape.

I read about the tip from one of the weekly rpg email newsletters from: Roleplaying Tips.com (http://www.roleplayingtips.com/index.php)

Theres always a section that contains tips, feedback, and ideas from readers in every letter, often the writer will ask questions for tips to prompt readers feedback. Theres always ingenious & smart ideas by readers that are fellow rpg'ers like us. :)

So thats my advice - get a ruler or measuring tape, find out exactly the size of your books, and then go to your local Wallmart or whatever and to their rubbermaid section... Then pickup a few of them of the size you want or need. (rubber maid or whatever brand - its the size you want to focus on)

The ones I got, are transparent with white lids. I have the books stacked laying flat, but there are ones you can get that allow you to have them stacked upright, so its easier to select any book... (and sometimes theres extra space to store your bag of dice, character sheets, GM material, player handouts, minis, or whatever else needed.

Hope this helps!

cheshire
26 January 2005, 05:50 PM
I've thought about going the rubbermaid route, but I have too much affinity for a rustic look and I got a bit more old fashioned looking trunk. It's pretty convenient.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
26 January 2005, 07:42 PM
That ought to work, long as its a decently enclosed or sealed space ;)

sometimes whatever you try or do, ya can still end up getting screwed by some way or form or mishap... Happens to the best of us sometimes ;)

wolverine
26 January 2005, 10:59 PM
Yup. I use them for mu video collection, when i am having to move. But i could see using them for gaming books when at home... vice bookshelves.

And to that dog. I would be whacking the heck out of his nose with rolled up newspaper, AND banishing his sorry butt outside if i ever caught him eating one of my gaming books....

SmugglerJedi
29 January 2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar &amp; Raven
Bah, its too long to really quote, anyways! ;)

Neat tip! Fortunately, though, no animals in my room! Just a really, really horrible computer! Oh, and a big TV, Xbox, Gamecube, DVD player, VCR, several games, Season 1 of <i>Stargate SG-1</i>, dozens upon dozens of SW novels, and a jar of change on the shelves above my books. (Oh no, of course the computer isn't up there!)

SJ.

JediJester
30 January 2005, 12:22 PM
Forget dogs, termites, and all that. I know the real terror of roleplaying books: children. My son got ahold of my roleplaying books when he was 2 and proceeded to start scribble, tear, paint, etc, etc, etc. I was lucky in that I caught him early and the only book that got damaged was my 3rd edition AD&D PHB.

Oh, and if you want to see something spectacular, put a CD or DVD in the microwave, shiny side up. No, it doesn't hurt the microwave, but any data on that CD/DVD will be gone forever.

neolink111
16 February 2005, 04:23 PM
i am completely paranoid. the thing i hate the worst is not something that necessarily EATS the books or even damages them, it's just REALLY GROSS. i can't stand those particular bugs that start with the R letter. ya know what i'm talking about. i can't even say the word without shuddering. i HATE them and i just wanna cry when i see one dead or alive. it turns my stomach. i need therapy or something to get rid of this hideously irrational fear. well anyway, rampage over, link over and out.

JediJester
16 February 2005, 05:07 PM
Okay, I've been wracking my brain for some time now and haven't figured out what bug begins with an R?

proxima centauri
16 February 2005, 08:10 PM
(cock)
'roach?

dragonseye
17 February 2005, 08:37 AM
neolink111,

I feel for yah. We had that problem in the old apartments we lived in. My SIL lived across the hall and was a complete and utter slob. Apparently she had the things all over her apartment for months without contacting the management about them- I did the moment I saw them though they tried to tell me they were box elder bugs (I think I can tell the difference from a giant brown insect and small black one with red markings on its back.) It took months and I still don't think they were completely gone when we left the slumlord place.

cheshire
18 February 2005, 07:49 AM
That's the problem with cockroaches, you don't have to be the filthy one in order for them to be in your appartment.

I'd always kept my old place roach free until my new neighbors moved in. Funny thing, those guys move right allong with you, and then they inhabit the neighboring spaces.

Not to mention, they eat paper products.

neolink111
21 February 2005, 05:14 AM
some people don't understand my phobia of them, but they just make me shudder.

(blue collar comedy tour: "things that make you go blleeehhh") lol

wolverine
22 February 2005, 12:22 PM
That plus roaches are so damn hard to kill, unless you fire bomb the entire area, there is no way to completly kill them all.

cheshire
23 February 2005, 06:17 AM
HAHA! I guess bug boming just isn't good enough for you, is it? Just go ahead and incinerate the whole house! Awesome.

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
9 March 2005, 07:29 AM
I keep my softcovers (RPGs and novels) stored in polybags and inside comic boxes, but that's barely a defense. Thankfully, all I get 'round these parts are ants... some pretty WEIRD LOOKING ants, but ants, and lately they've been coming less year after year. Guess I wiped out an important Queen or all of them...

... pun intended (and you know it!).

It's the occassional spider I can't stand. They don't eat books (far as I know), but they creep me out to no end. Brrrr.

hisham
9 March 2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Reel 2/Dialogue 2
Guess I wiped out an important Queen or all of them...

... pun intended (and you know it!).

With a power loader, no less. :)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
14 March 2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Reel 2/Dialogue 2
It's the occassional spider I can't stand. They don't eat books (far as I know), but they creep me out to no end. Brrrr.

You and me both! Well, I don't mind the daddy long-legs type that much, but its them black, beige or brown house spiders that creep me out, the ones that have the traditional segmented spider design, and can span from super small to nickel sized... ~shivers~

And they do make those webs, which can be a nuisance...

Hmm, d20 terms, would that be fine, diminuitive, or tiny? :P

neolink111
24 March 2005, 05:19 AM
for some reason, even with being a girl (who stereotypically hate every kind of bug, etc.) i don't mind spiders as long as they aren't on me. i can kill them and not flinch. they just don't bother me as much as the sight of "other" bugs. spider bites are really annoying tho.

MikeLynch
12 April 2005, 10:08 AM
Why I Don't Own a Dog

see i put EVERYTHING up high because my dog will eat just about ANYTHING it sees on the ground. but i swear, if animals had past lives, my dog was a CAT. he manages to jump up onto anything. he hopped on a chair, onto my dresser and chewed the books ON MY SHELF!!!

Though I should mention that the one time I nearly strangled my cat was when I had my Lords of the Expanse Gamemaster Guide sitting open-faced on a table, and I was deeply involved in making notes and hadn't noticed my cat sitting on top of it, and then my wife entered the room, and for some reason that was enough impetus to terrify him enough to leap off the book, using his claws, and cut a huge gash that dug right through about three pages.

Here's an idea: a dedicated gaming room. Off-limits to pets. Hermetically sealed. All your players have to wear those spacesuits you see in microchip fabrication plants.

IzVenjari
12 April 2005, 12:27 PM
I have two dogs and no cats - a friend of mine once had his cat pee on a laptop which was on loan from work - unfortunately laptop shorted out good - he wasn't real happy about that - was kinda funny tho :D - i shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortunes, but i just can't help it.

Anyways - the real reason i replied to this thread:

Yeah, dogs can annoyingly eat anything on ground level - specially puppies - but bugs are even more annoying!!!! - specially when you wake up at 3am to hear something scrabbling about in your room loud enough to make you think it's a small rodent of the ratish kind - so you get up, stumble round in the dark, finally turn some lights on after whacking your big toe at least three times, rearrange your whole room looking for this loathsome beast, don't find it, eventually give up and try to go back to sleep, only to hear the noise three mninutes later - and to cut a long story short, eventually (the above happens at least twice more) find out its a spider running around on your SW char sheets.

GAHHHH!!!

Alright, i'm done, i'm done. :D

MikeLynch
12 April 2005, 12:43 PM
One time (while I was living in the Twin Cities, MN), I awoke to the sound of something going "tap, tap, tap," rather irregularly -- it sounded like a bottle cap being dropped on cardboard. I just sort of sat there in my bed, terrified, for a moment, then I turned on the lights and found a winged insect bouncing off my ceiling -- it literally moved in parabolic curves as though it was using a pogo stick in an inverted-gravity room.

I was able to capture it and, after consulting my field guide to insects and spiders, determined it to be native to the AMAZON RAINFOREST. Never supposed to be found in frickin' Minnesota. 8o

No relevance to SWRPG, but I thought I'd share.

neolink111
12 April 2005, 05:24 PM
that is certainly very interesting mike. in my old neighborhood, we lived kinda in the middle of nowhere with tons of trees and water (it flooded all the time). that neighbor hood had the STRANGEST bugs i have ever seen. i've only seen them there, and no where else in the world (and i have been around) nor have i seen them in any book, etc. so i just blame the water for any mutations on the so-called "mosquitos".

i also had an 11 1/2 inch long alligator on my front lawn one morning. good thing we didn't let the dog out....