PDA

View Full Version : Minis!!!

ultraguy3000
13 December 2004, 01:13 PM
I know that some people don't use figures or minis, but is that because you don't want to spend the money for them or you actually don't like them. I personally think that the newer WOTC minis are cool and enhance gameplay. What do you all think?:D

Sithspawn
13 December 2004, 01:51 PM
With my group it's a mix of cost and space. I'm the only one who buys the books & Mini's. And when it comes to the game we usually play with our dice in our laps.

There's also the fact that we play a very Space Opera game, and having the mini's on a grid map makes combat seem so... clinical. We prefer a more open playing style.

That said, it is my intention is to start using Mini's more in my game, though not for every encounter. I'm going to run a few of what would normally be 'off-screen' scirmishes between rebel & Imperial troops, and mold the story and PC decisions based on those outcomes. Hopefully these mini games will add a little more flavour and variety to my advenutres. Will they then lead to using mini's for more combat scence with the PCs? I'll have to see.

Nova Spice
13 December 2004, 04:14 PM
Perhaps this thread would best be served in the Minis Forum? ;)

As far as the Minis themselves, I would prefer more RPG products or at least expanded lines of the Minis, than what we're getting right now.

I'm not big on having physical representation for characters in my game--I just draw the first letter (or two) of the characters' name on the map, erase them, and remark their position as they move.

ultraguy3000
13 December 2004, 05:10 PM
New to this forum so i haven't explored it yet so i'm not quite sure were everything goes yet. I definetly think that WOTC should expand their line of minis, but it hasn't been out to long so give it some time. I also think they should bring the cost down. A booster pack of Mage Knight only costs 7 or 8 dollars. So why 12.99 for a booster of Star Wars

Reverend Strone
14 December 2004, 03:34 PM
True, but I'd imagine that the producers aren't paying a licensing fee for Mage Knight anything like they are for SW, if any at all. Remember that Lucas Licensing will take a big cut out of the retail price, driving up the costs dramatically.

Warlock-Da
19 December 2004, 05:10 AM
The price isn't because of the Star Wars licensing, standard D&D minis are the same price for boosters with the exception of the Giants sets which are $20 a booster (but those should be much larger on average.

My last game we used the Minis for the first time and it did really enhance our game. My biggest complaint is a lack of generic PC ready minis. Everything is either standard troops or movie characters, with maybe one or two suitable for representing a player character. With luck the set that comes out after the RotS set will have a much larger selection since it's suppossed to be from all Eras.

darth venomous
19 December 2004, 10:23 AM
I had too many friends that just bought hundreds of dollars worth of minis, and I was already trying to only spend what I needed for books that the thought of buying minis and never having cash in my wallet sort of turned me off. Though I have played other games that minis were used and found them very helpful. I'm debating on whether or not to pick the WotC ones yet or not. I may wait to see if or when they have ship packs as I would want minis for those sooner than people that can be played easier without a visual aid.

mmm...SSD mini

loudanddeep
19 December 2004, 10:49 AM
My group has been using figures for years in gaming....we love the the feeing of the tactical map, and a bunch of us are old wargamers, so it suits our style....

Currently we use micro machines minis....they are great, but I do wish that hasbro would keep making them...I guss not now, as the new minis are out.

I dont have nor do I plan on buying any of the new ones, as the scale is different, and we have a signifigant investment in the micromachines...also storage is an issue, since the micro's dont take up a lot of space.

Got most of them on ebay or at flea markets, or a few (about a year ago) at big lots.

I like the new minis' but the cost versus benefit for US was not there. Maybe if they start coming out with more "pc" types, we will get them...dont know.

And I do think this question belongs here....or maybe a question like "Do you use the minis in your rpg..." because most of the RPH palyerse are not going to go to the mini forum.

later,

Dave

deicoon
27 December 2004, 08:39 PM
I started to buy the minis but, like many have said, I stopped because they where very expensive.

I've started making foldup minis that you don't have to take apart to store. I'm really pleased with how they came out.

They stand 1 3/8" high and are 1" X 13/16'" at the base unfolded. The base acordians up to make it flat. They're 1" X 1 3/8" x 1/6" when folded flat.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/DeicoonChronos/foldup.html

The one lying down is a counter in folded state.

Jedi_Knight02
30 December 2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Warlock-Da
The price isn't because of the Star Wars licensing, standard D&D minis are the same price for boosters with the exception of the Giants sets which are $20 a booster (but those should be much larger on average.

My last game we used the Minis for the first time and it did really enhance our game. My biggest complaint is a lack of generic PC ready minis. Everything is either standard troops or movie characters, with maybe one or two suitable for representing a player character. With luck the set that comes out after the RotS set will have a much larger selection since it's suppossed to be from all Eras.

I just bought some minis for the first time and that was my only complaint too!They don't have any generic jedi(except for the sith acaolyte),but other than that,I like them a lot.