PDA

View Full Version : Money

ultraguy3000
13 December 2004, 05:36 PM
I like the minis a lot, more so the new clone strike set because it goes with the time period me and my friends play with in SW RPG. But why on earth are the boosters 12.99 retail. I know you can buy cases online for a cheaper price (I got a case of 6 for $54). Still it would be more convenient if you could buy them at retail for a much cheaper price. I.E. mage knight boosters are only 7-8 dollars. Wondering if anyone else thought that the price of the boosters at retail is too high. Any websites for cheap cases would be nice too.

Humble minion
13 December 2004, 08:48 PM
I can only guess the SW minis are more expensive bacause of the lightsabers - that sort of thing adds a fair bit of complexity to the manufacturing process. It's sure as hell not because they're hiring genius miniatures painters in their manufacturing sweatshops, that's for sure!

I got a case of 12 from battleworks.net for US$99, and even after having to shell out another US$20 on postage (I live in Australia), that's still only two-thirds what I would have paid at a games shop. You Americans can be thankful...

Tao
14 December 2004, 07:46 AM
yeah, i know how you feel. its a bit rough having to shell out that kind of money. i got lucky this weekend, and won a big tournament, the prize for which was 5 boosters. my younger brother (age 14) took second place overall, so between the two of us we brought home eight boosters. my youngest brother came in sixth. hes been shunned and isnt allowed to eat at the same dinner table as the champions in the family. if youre any good (and lucky enough to have a comic shop that gives out prizes), you could try your luck in a tournament setting, and see what you bring home.

The Ghost
14 December 2004, 01:28 PM
WotC has set their minis boxes at $12-13 for boosters and their bigger boxes at $20.
this is what they decree.
your box of random minis went through more fitting and molding tests than the Clix minis.
they were all scaled to fit on standard 1" gridmaps so they work for the RPG gamers as well as the Minis gamers.
and they're still cheaper than buying a set of pewter miniatures.

consider the fact that "Star Wars" tends to make things a bit pricier, and be lucky the SW minis aren't $15 for boosters and $25 for starter boxes.

ultraguy3000
14 December 2004, 03:04 PM
I don't buy the manufactoring bit for one second. It's obvious that they think they can jack the price up because it has the star wars name on it. I think that is just a shame and it makes me angry. We should a huge petition or something.

Googlywook
14 December 2004, 11:51 PM
What I find ghastly is the prices stores here in Denmark slap onto WoTC products.

A starter pack is $35, and a booster pack is $23.

And as for the RPG books, well I've started bying them online from amazon since it's double price in Danish stores :(

The Ghost
15 December 2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by ultraguy3000
I don't buy the manufactoring bit for one second. It's obvious that they think they can jack the price up because it has the star wars name on it. I think that is just a shame and it makes me angry. We should a huge petition or something.

wrong. the Star Wars miniatures aren't any more expensive than the D&D miniatures.

you are paying about $1.50 for each miniature here in the US.
the pewter miniatures ran for $3-5 each
larger pewter miniatures cost $7-11 each
there are almost no pewter miniatures that are in the "Huge" category

Sidenote: go check http://www.doordice.com for price comparison of Clix and WotC minis. you'll find WotC ones are cheaper.

Reverend Strone
15 December 2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ultraguy3000

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating. It's not a case of WOTC jacking up the price because they think they can make more money because the product has Star Wars stamped on it- it's because they have to pay for the ability to put that stamp there in the first place.

Star Wars isn't cheap. To be able to sell SW product a licensee has to bid for the contract- with fees in the millions of dollars for a license as high profile as SW. Even if they win the contract bidding war, they still have to pay Lucas an agreed percentage on their final retail price as well- usually around 15% I believe. In addition to including all those costs in their equation, becauise they are making product that is based on a license, for every single miniature they must go through an approval process that involves getting the studio to accept the quality of the sculpt and paint job (usually two separate approvals) and in some cases may have to obtain actor approvals as well. It may take many tries to get a buy off on a particular character.

WOTC has to build all this into their pricing and still make a profit. I seriously doubt that they have to go through this process with almost any other miniature line like D&D or Mage Knight. Frankly, I'm actually amazed they can make these as cheap as they have, especially when you look at how many characters there are in each set.

Would I like them to be cheaper? Sure, but I'm aware that the realities of business have conspired to make them what they are and really, they're not that bad at all.

ultraguy3000
15 December 2004, 10:22 AM
I didn't say D&D i said Mage Knight and even with the liscening on star wars action figures they maintain market price ($6-7). So I still think that they are taking advantage of star wars fans, but I do know that liscening is part of the problem. However, if that is true than why are D&D boosters the same price.

The Ghost
16 December 2004, 02:56 AM
Mage Knight "Starter" Set:
8 random miniatures, 1 non-random miniature.
total: 9
Cost: $20
Average Price Per Mini(APPM): $2.23

Clone Strike "Starter" Set:
8 random miniatures, 2 non-random miniatures.
total: 10
Cost: $20
APPM: $2.00

Mage Knight "Booster" Pack:
4 random miniatures
total: 4
Cost: $8
APPM: $2.00

Clone Strike "Booster: Pack:
7 random miniatures
total: 7
Cost: $13
APPM: $1.86

please, show me how two dollars is more expensive than two twenty-five.

Artie Deco
17 December 2004, 08:22 AM
It isn't the price per figure so much, it is the general price point for the product.

If I have $10 in my pocket, I can walk into a hobby store and pick up a Heroclix booster, or two VS. booster packs, no problem. Can't pick up a SW Minis booster, though....

You could package 100 SW minis in a box for $100, only $1 per mini, and you'll sell 8 boosters at $12.99 each before you ever sell that $100 box.

The Ghost
17 December 2004, 11:19 AM
if you have $10 in your pocket walking into a game store, you're deluding yourself.

my average purchases are about six times that amount, and that's not counting the occasional $300 splurge.

Artie Deco
17 December 2004, 11:27 AM
You, my friend, spending $60 per visit, are the exception, not the rule. :)

I go into game stores on average about once a week, and spend about $10 each visit.

My only point is that price per unit is not the only factor in purchasing anything, not even SWMs. Price points play a factor. I'm not saying price points override the price per unit, but it is a factor that consumers consider.

The Ghost
18 December 2004, 08:16 AM
i think most people average $20-30 when they spend at a game store.

consider there's almost nothing you can get for under $10. if you go in with only half the money to purchase a new book, you don't walk out with half a book.

going in with a pittance at a time can get you:
one or two pewter miniatures,
or a set of dice,
or a Mage Knight booster
or a pack of some Trading Card Game

miniatures are generally bought 3-5 at a time
dice are generally bought in addition to a larger purchase
any miniature games are generally bought in multiples
card game packs are also less likely bought individually

consider that the average gamer is in his late twenties to early thirties. we've been doing this for a long time and most of us have jobs that fuel our hobbies successfully. consider also that an average gamer is rather compulsive about acquiring things.

my case might be extreme, but so also would $10 a visit be.

Darth Jerrod
20 December 2004, 06:55 AM
with what I buy I dontthink I spend LESS that 25 bucks.

You are gonna have to pay more for SW mini's. we have to pay for a company to have the license.

If I could just spend 10 dollars at a time in a store I would be most happy but it is not gonna happen ever unless all they have is the newest copy of Dragon or Dungeon mags.

Sure there are times I dont spend anything but that is rare. Concidering most WotC books that i buy are 30+ dollars.

Tao
20 December 2004, 07:08 AM
so the marketing gurus at wizards would be wise to create a "half-box" of minis, that would be four characters for 6 or 7 bucks...

actually my local store does something along those lines with the common/uncommon from the boxes that they open to fill their showcase. a bag of themed common/uncommon minis (ae: three stormtroopers a heavy and an officer, four ewoks and a rebel commander, etc) is four bucks. great for filling out your armies of random NPCs and baddies for the RPG.

The Ghost
20 December 2004, 11:24 AM
a "half box" wouldn't make a profit. it would cost more to box them up than it would make from selling them.

Tao
20 December 2004, 11:29 AM
yeah... it would also mix up the availability of rare minis... the idea was inherently flawed... and not 100% serious actually. but what i was getting at was youre paying a little more to get quite a bit more, which saves you (the customer), and the company, money in the long run. its the idea that made Sams Club the genious that it is... ;)

Master Dao Rin
20 December 2004, 01:06 PM
My question would be why they don't package the mini's in demand and sell them for a higher cost ... like buy Darth Maul for instance for 8 bucks a pop ...

At least then I could get all the miniatures ...

The Ghost
20 December 2004, 04:24 PM
you can do that on ebay.

dgswensen
20 December 2004, 05:19 PM
Seconded -- once you've bought enough boosters of any collectible minis game that you're getting a lot of repeats, and want to go completist, eBay makes far more economic sense.

It's where I went to fill out my Mechwarrior: Dark Age collection, and I spent a hell of a lot less money than I would have on buying a whole case of those things.

Also, just to put my two cents in, I can't remember the last time I went into a gaming store and spent less than $25 or $30. Heck, I dropped $70 just tonight. Of course, I have considerable disposable income and poor impulse control.

Tao
21 December 2004, 05:15 AM
i second that. just dropped over $90 yesterday... gonna have to tell the girlfriend that purchasing that puppys going to have to wait.

The Ghost
21 December 2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Tao
i second that. just dropped over $90 yesterday... gonna have to tell the girlfriend that purchasing that puppys going to have to wait.

oh man! i laughed until i cried when i read this! i am gonna be in so much trouble for just pointing this out later.

watanabe2k
21 December 2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah, well some sites sell individuals, which I use to buy stormtroopers and stuff (I'm an army builder, so the clones, stormtroopers, and droids are fun for me!)

That said the last case I ordered just arrived here at work......... Can't wait to get home to open it up!

Grimace
21 December 2004, 12:43 PM
I think the amount of money spent at a game store depends entirely upon the age of the person purchasing and their income amount. When I was younger, and didn't have a good handle on my finances, I would spend the lower amount, around 10-15 dollars when I visited. If something was over twenty dollars, I couldn't purchase it unless I saved a little more. If it was 40 dollars or more, forget it!

Nowadays, however, with a good annual income, and a better idea of how to manage my money, I can walk into a game store and plop out a hundred dollars with little angst. Now, for my hundred dollars, I want more than just a few little things, so I still shop around for the good deals.

All in all, though, I think how much people spend depends on a couple of factors and either high or low spending isn't abnormal depending on how those factors affect you.

Dr_Worm
21 December 2004, 01:04 PM
I'll drop 30 clams at a game store (mostly on Magic lately), but it is once in a blue moon. I generally don't go to them unless I am buying.

Darth Jerrod
21 December 2004, 03:24 PM
the reasons they dont just sell say Darth Mual, Anakin etc etc is one main fact. too many SKU'able products in a game store hogs up wall/shelf space for more of your or another company's product.

It also means that you the manufacturer has to hold all those product in a warehouse until such time as it all sells.

On the other hand if you go the route of collectables they are all packaged overseas, sent to your warehouse and stored on nice pallets where your shipping department can handle one product of several miniatures rather than your Darth Mauls.

Also it means for the retailer less inventory he has to say count at the end of the year to determin loss to theft and what not so he can do his taxes on losses and what not and finish his budget for the next year.

He then gets to sell you that collectable game in a space shared by other companies product of similar nature for little space waste in his store to maximize his profit at the end of the year.

Lame you say?

Well ask the retailer if he/she likes divoting a wall just too Games Workshops overpriced product or would rather have just as many lower cost SKU's of differing company products in thier store.

According to some marketing many stores do like this smaller space to sell games from a company than devote essentially a Games Workshop department to thier stores.

Sure WotC does have a lot of book product. but not as much space is needed to display thier current stock than say all the GW mini lines and accessories to thier mini lines where only really the latest and greatest releases sell compared to the 90+ percent that is wasted on slower moving older titles.

Damn since I started working retail this kinda crap never crossed my mind but now I understand all this stuff that WotC was talking about when they started the D&D collectable mini's over chainmail.