PDA

View Full Version : What Should Starwars-rpg.net Do For You?

Nealos
13 December 2004, 05:46 PM
As an online resource and gathering place for the community, what should Starwars-rpg.net be offering you?

Our main focus is the Journal, and we'll be continuing to build and work that aspect. But what else should the site be doing? Something? Nothing else but the Journal?

Sound off, community - it's YOUR site!

Vjerzag
13 December 2004, 06:42 PM
Gather all best adventures for d6 and d20 and in every Journal have one little short adventure. Bigger adventures like triology should be published separatly on site and in PDF. Suplements, but guys you allready do all that?

Grimace
13 December 2004, 09:14 PM
I think it would be neat to have the site be used for a dispensary of information for both system. Collect all of the worthwhile stuff out there and make supplements and/or augment the Journal so that it becomes the definitive downloadable source of information for both systems.

The Journal, as is, has a lot to offer, but it seems to me that it could be so much more. Things such as the Blockade Runner supplement are very nice additions to the site, and there should DEFINITELY be more of those supplements with the same caliber of work put into it. Beyond those supplements, though, more could be added to the Journal to make it really "pop".

All told, though, I think it would be nice to have a good, dual system site that offers a lot of PDFs and web viewable material for people to use in their games.

Those are my two cents. :)

Jedimonkey27
14 December 2004, 12:29 PM
What I would really like to see on Starwars-Rpg.net or some other site for that matter is a huge repository for stats and adventures. A GM archive kind of thing. You could go out and ask permission from various SWRPG site owners for permission to use their stuff and give them credit at the bottom of each of their entries. It would be all sorted into catagories like ships, maps npc's, etc. It could be very useful for those of us who do not like to search for hours on end to find things.

If that were not possible, I would just like it if there were lots of PDFs of various things. More community interaction would also be nice.

Just some thoughts.

Jedimonkey27

Nealos
14 December 2004, 04:55 PM
A few have mentioned "community interaction" before. Any specific ideas toward that?

Sithspawn
15 December 2004, 02:18 AM
Hey, I'd be more than happy for the Starwars-RPG.net to use some of my material, with a link back to my own site of corse ;)

I'd like to help out or be invovled with Starwars-RPG.net if I can. I've been racking my brains recently for subject matter for an Online Journal submission, but most things seem to have been done.

Nealos
15 December 2004, 08:22 AM
Hey Sithspawn, if you're interested in getting involved either as a contributor or whatever, feel free to drop a line to journal@starwars-rpg.net.

In regards to most things being done, I have a suggestion. Pick a movie that is your favorite movie and then write an adventure or supplement that is based on that movie. You'll find yourself making something original for the game but "done before" elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that, just a tool to get the creativity flowing.

Thanks,

Matt Richard
15 December 2004, 08:52 AM
I've always believed that you look at everything that has been done, then fill in the blanks for what hasnt.

Let's take a look at some of the major sites out there....

We have sites like swrpgnetwork and dlos that are non-themed stat/supplement/adventure/etc. archives

then you have themed stat archives, usually from a campaign run by a small group like Raptor Squad, Servais Sector, Toris.

You have those that focus on simply one aspect of the game like the swsrc , which as the name implies, is themed on supplements or the reviewed sites that review other websites

So what's missing? I don't think it would be fair to all the contributing minds of the community to say that a once a month journal publication is going to be the ONLY thing we have? Ever since the beginning, and probably more so than any other website, starwars-rpg.net has been focused on providing room for the community.

So what do we offer? I mean, there are already plenty of well known sites that people can go to if they want to submit something to be looked at by lots of people - what's ONE more site going to do? I have come to the conclusion that people love to compete. And my answer is simple:
Offer weekly competitions. Stat competitions, adventure competitions, editorial competitions - the winners get put on the site (weekly, obviously), the losing entries get sent in the delete bin... winners get bragging rights and a spot on the home page with their stat included (we could even involve sites like swag to do artwork, and BOOM we have a community project, a weekly community project).

So, competition is healthy, and the people love it - give it to them i say!!!

-End transmission...

Nealos
15 December 2004, 08:57 AM
Matt, I like your idea. It's bold and fills a void. However, I need to chew on it for a while in my thoughts. Not sure about it. The reason I like doing the Journal is because a) it provides a place for people to get "published" and b) it serves as a project the community works on for itself. I like not having a competitive element there. However, I also enjoy running competitions because I see people always like to get involved in those, not so much because they're competitive but because it's the spark for them to pitch something onto the collective table. I like any mechanism that makes people get creative.

Thanks for your comments/ideas, good stuff. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about what Matt has put forth here.

Chris Curtis
15 December 2004, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest going back and looking at the results and discussion of this poll (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14820) that was put out almost a year ago. Then, there's also this related discussion (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15060) regarding the "membership system".

Jedimonkey27
15 December 2004, 06:08 PM
I like the contest idea but I think that instead of getting deleted the loosers will just be put into the main archive and the winners would be featured prominently on the main page. I realize that there are already tons of sites that have tried to do this, buit that is the point, none os them are both easy to use and very complete. If we get the word out and take the initiative to e-mail webmasters and ask permission to copy and paste, and then we put it all in an easy to use catagory format, it could become the one stop shop for lost GMs eveywhere. Maybe.

As for community interaction, I think it would be interesting if underneath the entry people could post comments saying how they have used it in their campaign. For example, I am creating a planet for my campaign and I would love it if people would use it in their own. But having it in plain old text with no pictures, no extra features like places of interest, and no way to easily communicate with the author, would make it quite boring. But if people created maps for a tavern on it, fan fiction set on the planet, an npc to lead it in another era, or anything else interesting it would just add to the depth of our creations. We could even have a special galaxy map with all of our player-created planets in it.

You could just create a website about my campaign, but I have found that they seem to be only useful to those people who want to run someone elses campaign. Then the person doing the website gets bored and quits updating it. Nothing else ever happens. But if there was no obligation to complete anything, people would just add simple things until eventually whatever you created will become a part of our own Fan-Expanded Universe.

I know this may be impossible but I have been tossing this idea around for some time and I would love to see it implemented.

Jedimonkey27

Sithspawn
16 December 2004, 07:25 AM
Hi Nealos,
glad to see Starwars-rpg.net is coming back together. Maybe Revenge of the Starwars-rpg.net would be appropriate at this time :D

I did try to e-mail the journal address but my mail got bounced. You said to get in touch if I was interested in submitting for the journal. I do have a few adventures and things in my head, but they do need re-working for a submission (my groups players are far from pure Star Wars, so I'd have to get rid of crossover bits). And I do have a possible suppliment idea, but I'll keep that for now and probably ask for Holonet input when I've got things planned out.

I'll work on a few things, and keep you posted with what I come up with. I do have a tongue-in-cheek James Bond style adventure in the works, so we'll see how that works out too.

In the meantime, I'll keep watching the holonet threads to see what sort of things the SW-RPG community may be interested in.

Regards,

Sithspawn

TheCegorach
16 December 2004, 08:52 AM
I'd love to see a robust collection of fan-created planets.

Along the lines JediMonkey suggested, maps, key NPCs, etc., would help to bring each to life, whether these were the work of the original author or additional contributions.

The galaxy supposedly has millions, if not billions, of inhabited (or at least inhabitable) planets--and while there's a certain resonance and familiarity from the films, I prefer campaigns that feature more than Tattooine, Naboo, and Coruscant. :-)

[Personally, I'm always wanting to stop at random points for fuel, or just To See What's There. This has an unfortunate side effect of putting my GM on the spot to make up a plethora of planets....]

Darth_Cassed
20 December 2004, 11:24 AM
Well I *used* to have a prototype Galaxy Map with interactive planets and all going, but it didn't get transferred to the new sw-rpg.net. I was the Project Lead, Writer, Designer, and Programmer of it, if you guys want me to try to revive it.

Also, I think gaming groups should be able to make groups on the site. Like the idea before where someone can search gaming groups around the world and where they game and all those details. But it'd be almost like a Clan function, where the groups can update and post information and all that goodly stuff.

Nealos
20 December 2004, 02:16 PM
We're getting some really good ideas going here... anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks to all so far! Keep it coming if you got more!

Vjerzag
20 December 2004, 04:17 PM
Hi, I saw few excelent ideas around here, one that I was thinking for a long time is this.
Combine Fan made galaxy map with large planets database and link it to relevant NPC-s and adventures. Let's say your gamming group start on Tatooine:
GM click Galaxy map and chose era of play, than click specific part (like outer rim) and on Tatooine. There he can get full stats (with picture) of system, planets, all setelments (with maps and points of interest) and POI location (with florplan), together with bunch of NPC-s related to location and era of play.
I know that this is imense work, but if you could get more people to work on this project thais could go realy fast.

I saw almost all fan sites and thaey are more or less edited in this fashion, so their materials could easily be transfered to interactive map.

Second part is database:
This should be organized like one here on SWRPGNetwork with eras and add to it products, services cost, Industries and all people would like to add to it.

Darth_Cassed
20 December 2004, 04:28 PM
Vjerzag, I have almost that exact same thing. A programmed, visual, interactive galaxy map with RPG information on the planets.

All I'd need is a willing team to complete it.

Vjerzag
20 December 2004, 04:49 PM
I can help you with few things. I have one finished adventure, few NPC-s and lot of good will to copy&paste and edit materials from around net to put it in a form suitable for this project. (if owners of that materials dont mind)
I have to go to Australia now for a month so from 2 of february count me in a team.
Good luck and I hope this will work.:)