PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Deployment

Bydal Baxter
14 December 2004, 11:29 AM
I'd like to begin my first post on the swrpg network by saying 'hello' to all you fellow rpg'ers out there. I look forward to sharing and discussing ideas to make our games that much better to be involved in.

I have played the SW rpg on and off for over 10 years and eagily snapped up the new D20 incarnation when it first hit the shelves. More recently I've purchased the Revised Core Rule Book. As I'm primarily a GM I like to have lots of source material for my players and I, so set about buying as many sourdce books as I could.

Unfortunately I feel the current source material (from a gms) point of view is inconsistant. The fact that many source books (e.g. rebellion era) have not seen a revised edition makes using some of the material more difficult than it shold be. NPC characters need to be modified.

I would love to see more focused source material brimming with npc's. A fully upgraded version of the imperial source book with the background material, starships, gavs and troops of the empire would be fantastic. I'm currently working on this project myself along with pictured stat cards (hope to post some soon)for each npc (i really miss those). This could lead the way to other products e.g. Rebel Source book, Old Republic SB etc.

This way everything would all be under one roof rather than split over chapters and/or source books making the deployment of articles a little haphazard. It does feel that Wizards do not seem as committed to Star Wars as much as their other 'cash cows'.

Thanks for reading.:rolleyes:

Grimace
14 December 2004, 12:15 PM
Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the Holonet, Bydal. I'd like to take this time to remind you to please look over the FAQ for the forums, as it has rules for the "Do's and Don't's" of the Holonet. If you have any questions, you can feel free to ask anyone here, as most are more than happy to help out. If you have more technical questions about things in the FAQ, feel free to PM (Private Message) myself or another moderator. It's always better to ask questions if you have doubt on where something should be posted, or IF something should be posted.

Now, on to your post. :)

The thing you'll find is that when Star Wars moved from the D6 System put out be WEG to the D20 put out by WOTC, is that the latter of the two didn't want to repeat everything out there already published. The newer system's company seems interested mostly in putting out material based on or around the material shown in the prequel movies or in the newer NJO books. Due to this, you're not likely to see any "updates" of books such as the Imperial Sourcebook or Rebel Alliance Sourcebook.

There are various websites, including the Conversions section on the SWRPGNetwork, that has several of the old D6 books converted to D20 stats. Collecting them all into one resource for your own use is up to the individual to do on their own, though. Another thing you may want to do is pose the question on good websites to find this information over in the D20 Discussion forum of the Holonet. Generally, we try to keep the discussions that are specifically oriented towards one system or the other in the corresponding forum. If the question is general in nature, or could have things presented in both systems, then such questions could be posed in the General Discussion forum of the Holonet.

So all told, I think you're going to have to perform a little bit of "leg work", so to speak, in order to collect all of that information that you're looking for. Most will have to be conversions, as WOTC hasn't released a lot of the same material that WEG released. Or you may simply want to get a good conversion formula online and simply convert the material yourself. If you have books from both system, it is nearly a must to be able convert (or have converted stats) for the material so that you can use all of the items, otherwise you are left just being able to use the ideas and make up the stats for the items.

Hopefully this helps a little, and again...welcome aboard and hope you have a good time during your stay here.